00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,509 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-04 08:19:47

At 11/3/10 10:02 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I finally saw The Human Centipede (First Sequence).

I've only seen trailers of that film and what I found a little odd was that they were putting so much emphasis on that this film was "100% MEDICALLY ACCURATE".

I'm not studying medicine or surgery anything, and it seems plausible to me that you could make something like a human centipede in the way the film portrayed it. However, I can hardly imagine that the person in the middle and the back could survive for even a day or two, due to a lack of nutritions, water and any diseases they could get from eating other peoples shit.

I don't know if the film gave an explanation for that or how big the timespan of the film was, but it really made the centipede idea look stupid to me (if you're gonna make it realistic).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-04 15:17:21

At 11/3/10 09:58 PM, Makeshift wrote: Anyone else interested in Danny Boyle's new movie, "127 Hours"?

It has 92% on RT. RT lists it as a limited release, so I really hope it comes out near me. I've been following it for a while.

At 11/4/10 04:03 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I saw the remake of Clash of the Titans. To be honest, I liked it.

I saw that over the summer and was very disappointed. It wasn't even entertaining to me. I honestly felt bored throughout most of the scenes, except for Medusa.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-04 16:48:33

I saw Trick 'r Treat. fucked up and awesome. Daybreakers was actually pretty cool, but some things were a little too convenient for the plot. I don't know why I sat through the entirety of the Grapes of Death. It wasn't bad in a good way, just bad in a bad way. But there was one pretty nice nude scene. Bad Taste was the most retarded movie I've ever seen. still kinda entertaining. I also watched the Lost Boys again cuz it was Halloween.

And last night, I watched Fitzcarraldo, which was really something. better than Aguirre (Aguirre was good, too). I might watch the documentary about it sometime because I heard of a lot of things that got in Herzog's way in the making of this movie, even including hostile natives.

At 11/2/10 10:51 PM, orangebomb wrote: Speaking of movies, I just got Ninja Assassin on DVD a few days ago, but I haven't watched it yet, so I wonder if it is any good or not, {and I'm hoping it is.}

Nope, it sucks.

At 11/3/10 12:05 AM, MOC-Productions wrote: I just recently watched "Mother" by Bong Joon-ho (or whatever the fuck his name is), director of "The Host". Pretty good movie. Breaks alot of revenge movie rules, but it's foreign, so thats why.

yet another movie that's been sitting on my queue.

Give it a couple years before America gets hold of it and fucks it up like they've been doing recently (Dinner for Schmucks, Let Me In, etc.).

Dinner For Schmucks was a remake? I didn't know this. But yeah, I'm tired of all these very recent foreign movies that are perfectly fine as they are being remade.

At 11/3/10 05:14 PM, TheMaster wrote: Honestly, it's hard to make a lot of Batman villains work in the Nolanverse.

seriously. But it could be cool if Ra's comes back and some of those assassins make their first appearances. Or if Two Face comes back along with a new villain like Bane or something.

At 11/3/10 11:35 PM, orangebomb wrote: Some of my friends actually suggested to me that Ninja Assassin was worth buying, {even though I don't buy movies that often.}

Your friends have betrayed you. I was excited because the guy's main weapon is a kusari gama, but the action is not good. It's dark and blurry and you can't really comprehend what you're seeing and when a limb is cut off, that limb becomes a cartoon limb. Also, the blood is cartoon blood. And everything beyond the action is boring.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-05 23:00:41

I have just watched Ninja Assassin, and I must say I was rather disappointed, but at the same time was entertained in a small way.

To start out, the story is really nothing more than a generic revenge story about being kicked out of a ninja clan, and then after the first 20 minutes or so, the storyline disappers into a gory martial arts battles which were somewhat entertaining, but get dull and repetive after a while.

Speaking of blood and gore, there is plenty of it, almost to a point where it becomes more laughable and over the top than down to earth and realistic, but then again with a name like Ninja Assassin, you would expect a lot of carnage and blood. The stunts and the actors overall were average at best, considering that these were no-name, B-list actors, I would have expected as much.

Compared to McTeigue's previous work, {V for Vendetta} this is a rather average movie with grainy dark visuals, crazy CGI and massive amount of severed bodies and fountains of gore. I feel that this had some potential to be a decent ninja hack and slash, but the brainless attempt for over the top gore and random CGI turns out to be nothing more than a rental at best. I can't believe my freinds talked me into buying this movie, when I could of gotten something else instead, Oh well.

I give it a 2 and a half out of 5 overall.
If you love mindless revenge, blood and gore or ninjas, I would recommend renting it, otherwise steer clear.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-06 17:16:26

I just got a chance to see Charlie Chaplain's Modern Times (United Artists, 1936).

This was just a great movie. It was a silent picture after talkies had invaded Hollywood, so right off of the bat, you know that this film is something unique. Despite it being "silent", there actually is a beautiful musical score that compliments the actions on the screen and various speech through different types of media (A sales pitch on a phonograph or a radio delivering a message). With that being said, the film makes terrific use of pantomime and text on screen and never for a moment are the actions confusing to the audience. The film is a brilliant visual comedy, but it also has deep message about the problems with industry and the conditions during the Great Depression. It's very political, but also timeless.

So, I'd definitely reccomend this film to anyone who wants to see one of the great classics. Five out of five stars from me.

IMDB Page
Rotten Tomatoes Page

Cinema Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-06 17:44:55

At 11/4/10 03:17 PM, Ptero wrote:
At 11/3/10 09:58 PM, Makeshift wrote: Anyone else interested in Danny Boyle's new movie, "127 Hours"?
It has 92% on RT. RT lists it as a limited release, so I really hope it comes out near me. I've been following it for a while.

I found out that it won't be releasing anywhere near me.

What a shame.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-06 19:01:30

I got around to watching the Aliens blu-ray.

Significantly worse transfer than Alien, but still better than the DVD release. Grain reduction has been used, but not overly, but there's still an obvious loss of detail, especially in face close ups, although nothing like the Predator Arnold-Made-Of-Plastic release from earlier this year. I didn't really notice the blue tint everyone was whining about when the screenshots came out, either, and I was actually looking out for it. The ONLY time it really stood out was in the final bit on the planet where the Queen chases Ripley and Newt to the dropship, but it didn't detract from anything, so unless you're OCD about the film being identical to the theatrical release, it isn't a problem.

Give the transfer an 8/10, compared to Alien's 10/10.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 06:01:39

At 11/5/10 11:00 PM, orangebomb wrote: I have just watched Ninja Assassin, and I must say I was rather disappointed, but at the same time was entertained in a small way.

Yeah, Ninja Assassin was disappointing - rather then being completely tongue-in-cheek B-movie, it took itself too seriously at times. Also, the Ninjas were like fucking fog monsters when they moved.

---------

I watched The Fury recently. The first half is seriously good stuff, however the second half is just average. They just ran out of ideas I think. They do that thing of setting up interesting characters in the beginning and then kinda forgetting about them for the rest of the film. Despite that, Brian De Palma's fantastic directing skills really show in some scenes.

6/10

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 12:24:58

Watched the Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection blu-rays.

Both great, but not amazing. None of the DNR like Aliens which is a plus, but it's clear they were a lower priority than Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 has had dialogue rerecorded for the workprint cut, where it was of lower quality than the rest of the film on the DVD release, which is a nice touch.

Pleased with the box set on the whole. Aliens could be better, but Alien is perfect, and Alien 3 and Resurrection are the best they've ever been, if not as good as they could be.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 13:51:52

At 11/5/10 03:14 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 11/4/10 05:09 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: You can survive for about three days without water.
After listening to Six's DVD commentary, he pointed out that all of the three victims were on feeding tubes connected to hospital machines when they were in a cage as the centipede. I don't think I noticed or payed much attention to the devices on the first watch, but it's now clear the surgeon intended to keep them around for much longer than three days.

Oh I see. Well that explains and if he worked together with a real surgeon I suppose it is very realistic from a medical point of view. I agree that it's quite frightening that something like that is possible, and also that someone would even think up something like 'a human centipede'.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 15:10:48

Got some new movies to watch and I might actually watch them this week while I wait for a game to arrive on Friday. So I have Catfish, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Jonah Hex, How To Train Your Dragon, The Kids Are All Right, and The Killer Inside Me. Might watch Catfish or Scott Pilgrim right now.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 15:41:55

At 11/6/10 05:16 PM, puddinN64 wrote: I just got a chance to see Charlie Chaplain's Modern Times (United Artists, 1936).

If you like the Chaplin movies you really should see the movie entitled "Chaplin" a movie that chronicles the life of Charlie Chaplin throughout his personal life and movie making career. I know a lot of people say that if you're interested in film you should watch Ed Wood, but I say you should watch Chaplin.

Robert Downey Jr. does a wonderful job of portraying Charlie Chaplin in this movie and if you are a fan of Charlie Chaplin's movies then you will certainly enjoy this movie.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 17:04:44

At 11/7/10 03:41 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Robert Downey Jr. does a wonderful job of portraying Charlie Chaplin in this movie and if you are a fan of Charlie Chaplin's movies then you will certainly enjoy this movie.

Netflix actually has the movie available to watch through it's instant-streaming feature. I've added it to my queue and I'll be sure to watch it within the next few days. Thanks for the advice man.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 20:27:35

At 11/7/10 05:04 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Netflix actually has the movie available to watch through it's instant-streaming feature. I've added it to my queue and I'll be sure to watch it within the next few days. Thanks for the advice man.

You know you can get a channel added to your Wii to stream Netflix through your TV right?

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 20:28:56

At 11/7/10 08:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 11/7/10 05:04 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Netflix actually has the movie available to watch through it's instant-streaming feature. I've added it to my queue and I'll be sure to watch it within the next few days. Thanks for the advice man.
You know you can get a channel added to your Wii to stream Netflix through your TV right?

Yeah, I've done all of that. I even registered it through Club Nintendo. It's nice because I'm not obligated to pay for a service like Xbox Live to keep my Instant-Steam feature on the television going.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 20:34:33

Wow. Catfish was unexpectedly one of the most boring movies I've seen all year. I was expecting something interesting after someone I know said it was the best movie he's seen all year. Oh well, I guess we just have very far off opinions. Now I've started Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and it's pretty awesome so far. A little odd, but I'm sure it'll get better.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-07 23:01:11

At 11/7/10 08:34 PM, Makeshift wrote: Now I've started Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and it's pretty awesome so far. A little odd, but I'm sure it'll get better.

I love Scott Pilgrim. Be prepared for disappointment when you watch Jonah Hex though.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-09 18:04:26

I just watched Million Dollar Baby.

A very good film I must say. I really felt connected to the main characters as a viewer and emotionally it was quite powerful. Without spoiling too much, I loved the twist in the middle which turned the atmosphere of the film upside down.

Well worth checking out. In my opinion it's one of the best films of the 00's.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-09 18:16:31

At 11/9/10 06:04 PM, Auz wrote: I just watched Million Dollar Baby.

That's another one of those movies I still need to see. But instead I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, which I thought was amazing. I actually didn't like Michael Cera as Scott, but all the references and the comic book feel of the movie made it awesome.

I also started watching The Human Centipede. I wasn't disgusted, scared, or entertained. It was just plain boring for me and I decided I would just quit watching while it still had about 30 minutes left.

After that I watched How To Train Your Dragon, and it was an OK movie. A bit better than I expected, but it didn't really have much to it. There weren't many humorous parts and there wasn't enough action. It was well animated and the voice actors were great, but I won't be watching this again.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-09 18:27:52

At 11/9/10 06:25 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: How does the Cinema Club feel about The Godfather 3?

Haven't watched The Godfather.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-09 18:56:47

At 11/9/10 06:25 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: How does the Cinema Club feel about The Godfather 3?

I've never seen number 3, but I thought 1 and 2 were great.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 11:33:36

I thought it was decent enough on its own, but nothing like the first 2 movies. Sequels of a successful film like the Godfather are hard to top, if even equal, and the 2nd one does that very well compared to the third one where like the black sheep of the trilogy, so to speak.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 11:44:17

At 11/9/10 06:16 PM, Makeshift wrote: After that I watched How To Train Your Dragon, and it was an OK movie. A bit better than I expected, but it didn't really have much to it. There weren't many humorous parts and there wasn't enough action. It was well animated and the voice actors were great, but I won't be watching this again.

I fully agree with you there. I thought it was fairly enjoyable overall, but like you said it just doesn't have much to it. I don't think it will stand much of a chance for the animated feature Oscar for this year.

Well... it's fairly predictable that that award is gonna go to Toy Story 3 of course, but How To Train Your Dragon definitely doesn't come close to that film.

At 11/9/10 06:59 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I actually saw the redux version first a few years ago, but it was so boring I couldn't get through it all. I'll give it another chance since I love the original.

I think I've mentioned that in this club before as well. The redux version is basically just 45 minutes of unnecessary scenes added to the original, making the film way too long and boring at some points (*cough* French diner scene *cough*).

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 12:43:18

I hate how the Academy Awards have overlooked so many great movies for best animated movie, particularly foreign animated movies.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 15:31:47

At 11/10/10 11:44 AM, Auz wrote: Well... it's fairly predictable that that award is gonna go to Toy Story 3 of course, but How To Train Your Dragon definitely doesn't come close to that film.

Yeah, I'm sure it will go to Toy Story 3 even if I don't like it all that much.

Last night I began watching Be Cool. I actually kind of like it and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest tonight. I've also just remembered that I still haven't finished Pulp Fiction. Gah, good thing I'm not doing much this week.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 17:04:46

At 11/10/10 12:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I hate how the Academy Awards have overlooked so many great movies for best animated movie, particularly foreign animated movies.

Hmm I see they only started handing out that award in 2001, which is too bad. I think the films My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke definitely deserve some recognition like that.

Looking through all the nominees and winners so far, I agree that foreign animation films appear to be overlooked. The list is dominated by Dreamworks, Pixar and Disney and only five were made outside of English speaking countries. I can't imagine that they are the only studios every year that create some quality animation film. In fact, I know they're not the only ones.

At 11/10/10 03:31 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 11/10/10 11:44 AM, Auz wrote: Well... it's fairly predictable that that award is gonna go to Toy Story 3 of course, but How To Train Your Dragon definitely doesn't come close to that film.
Yeah, I'm sure it will go to Toy Story 3 even if I don't like it all that much.

I wouldn't argue with it. So far I haven't seen any other animation film this year that deserves it more than Toy Story 3. Still gotta see Despicable Me though, but I don't expect it to outclass Toy Story.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 19:59:17

At 11/10/10 05:04 PM, Auz wrote: I wouldn't argue with it. So far I haven't seen any other animation film this year that deserves it more than Toy Story 3. Still gotta see Despicable Me though, but I don't expect it to outclass Toy Story.

L'illusioniste.

I raved about it in late august, I'll rave about it now, it's the best animation I've seen this year (inc TS3).
If you don't know about it, well, too bad, wait till it's out on DVD. Until then, watch Les Triplettes Des Belleville

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-10 23:01:05

At 11/10/10 05:04 PM, Auz wrote:
At 11/10/10 12:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I hate how the Academy Awards have overlooked so many great movies for best animated movie, particularly foreign animated movies.
Hmm I see they only started handing out that award in 2001, which is too bad. I think the films My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke definitely deserve some recognition like that.

I'm not sure either of those would have met the theatrical release requirements to be eligible for the award. I assume that's the reason the big American animation studios have such a stranglehold on the category.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-11 14:05:56

At 11/10/10 07:59 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 11/10/10 05:04 PM, Auz wrote: I wouldn't argue with it. So far I haven't seen any other animation film this year that deserves it more than Toy Story 3. Still gotta see Despicable Me though, but I don't expect it to outclass Toy Story.
L'illusioniste.

I raved about it in late august, I'll rave about it now, it's the best animation I've seen this year (inc TS3).

Just saw the trailer. I liked the art style very much and the film seems interesting.

Apparently it has already been out here for a long time, but I have heard nothing of it.

At 11/10/10 11:01 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 11/10/10 05:04 PM, Auz wrote: Hmm I see they only started handing out that award in 2001, which is too bad. I think the films My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke definitely deserve some recognition like that.
I'm not sure either of those would have met the theatrical release requirements to be eligible for the award. I assume that's the reason the big American animation studios have such a stranglehold on the category.

I don't know what the requirements are for animation films to be considered for a nomination, but considering the popularity of both films it would seem weird to me to rule them out.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-11-11 17:02:04

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawar ds/rules/rule02.html

Films must be:

Over 40 minutes long.
Standard film types.
On show in a cinema for money.
On show for a consecutive week.
Advertised as a normal film.
Not shown on TV/stuff before in the cinema

BBS Signature