New Topic Respond to this Topic
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 4th, 2010 @ 07:41 AM Reply

At 9/3/10 06:31 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I also watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed with the film.

When I was in London two months ago I saw massive posters of that movie in about every subway station. They had favorable quotes from newspapers and 5 stars all over them.

Oddly enough, I never heard of the movie anywhere else. Is that movie only out in the UK or something?

At 9/3/10 07:24 PM, Makeshift wrote: Mickey Rourke is also bothering me. I dislike his voice.

Maybe you should turn up your subwoofer :p

I thought Sin City was very good, but it's been a long time since I last watched the movie. Can't remember much of the plot.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 4th, 2010 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 9/3/10 06:31 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I also watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I should probably watch it then. My parents have it, and I just wasn't interested in seeing it. I've also noticed the books have been top sellers on Amazon recently. At least I believe that's what I saw.

I was going to watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night, because I love it. I've watched it about 5 times now, but instead I ended up spending about 2 and a half hours watching the special features. Ah, special features...

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 4th, 2010 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 9/4/10 07:41 AM, Auz wrote:

When I was in London two months ago I saw massive posters of that movie in about every subway station. They had favorable quotes from newspapers and 5 stars all over them.

Oddly enough, I never heard of the movie anywhere else. Is that movie only out in the UK or something?

Actually it is a Scandanavian film, I think it's Swedish or somewhere in that region. I never saw anything for it in the states but the book it's based on got a lot of international attention.

It's very good though, very modern and refreshing in its concept.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 5th, 2010 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Saw Edge of Darkness. It's a passable thriller about a sympathetic Boston police detective, played by Mel Gibson, who investigates the murder of his daughter, a researcher for a company that may be secretly manufacturing nuclear weapons. The acting is good, although the dialogue is a bit stilted. I unfortunately became kind of lost in the story. Some scenes are like who's who and what's going on? Maybe a second viewing will help me, if I ever get around to it. I understood the basics at the least and the detective's enthusiasm, obviously. I couldn't predict the whole story, but there are definitely parts I did, like when the detective threatens the head manager of the company in a car. The thrills are still pretty solid. There are two particularly good violent moments that caught me out of the blue and I won't spoil them. Yeah, the film's decent. I don't know how much more of Mel Gibson we'll be seeing, though, with his recent scandal.

At 9/4/10 07:41 AM, Auz wrote: Oddly enough, I never heard of the movie anywhere else. Is that movie only out in the UK or something?

No. Actually, in the US, it apparently became one of the most successful limited releases ever.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 5th, 2010 @ 06:51 AM Reply

At 9/5/10 02:16 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I unfortunately became kind of lost in the story. Some scenes are like who's who and what's going on?

I can definitely understand that. The original is a 5 hour miniseries, and it's still difficult to follow. I know they'll have cut some stuff, but it's still a lot to cram into a film.

Original is definitely worth checking out, if only for Bob Peck's superb performance, which is some of the best acting I've ever seen.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 5th, 2010 @ 05:50 PM Reply

I got smashed with a friend and watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. loved it.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 5th, 2010 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 9/5/10 05:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I got smashed with a friend and watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. loved it.

I began watching it on Christmas Eve of '07... never finished it, sadly. I did watch The Illusionist and Four Christmases though.

The Illusionist was kind of bland. I wish I had watched this before The Prestige because it's inferior to Michael Caine and Christopher Nolan. Paul Giamatti was good, but I didn't like Edward Norton as lead. I didn't really like Edward Norton in Fight Club either. The Illusionist has this story about an illusionist who's basically trying to be with a girl, who I believe is the princess of England or something. Anyway, it was boring. Nuff said.

Four Christmases wasn't very good either. I don't remember laughing at all, and the movie feels really short, which I guess is a good thing. Vince Vaughn still hasn't been able to top his role in Wedding Crashers, and I don't think he ever will. Four Christmases gets 3 thumbs DOWN.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 5th, 2010 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 9/5/10 06:51 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 9/5/10 02:16 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I unfortunately became kind of lost in the story. Some scenes are like who's who and what's going on?
I can definitely understand that. The original is a 5 hour miniseries, and it's still difficult to follow. I know they'll have cut some stuff, but it's still a lot to cram into a film.

That may explain it.

Original is definitely worth checking out, if only for Bob Peck's superb performance, which is some of the best acting I've ever seen.

Nice. I only heard of the series around when the film came out and it's by the same director. I added the series to my ZipList since I wouldn't mind seeing it. Strange how it's described in a tagline on IMDb as an "eco-thriller". Never heard that term.

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 01:42 AM Reply

I saw American Psycho. What a great movie. Christian Bale is amazing as the homicidal yuppie. I'm glad I decide to watch it by myself. It would have been an awkward movie to watch with the family.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 6th, 2010 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 9/6/10 01:42 AM, Ptero wrote: I saw American Psycho. What a great movie.

love that movie

feed me a stray cat

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2010 @ 04:21 PM Reply

I watched Fight Club yesterday. It was so much better than I expected. Some of the best performances in Pitt and Norton's careers that I've seen. The fight scenes were beautifully orchestrated. Now I can't wait to see Se7en and The Social Network.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2010 @ 05:04 PM Reply

I just watched District 9.

I thought it was very enjoyable, but it ended quite abruptly which really left me feeling unsatisfied. There were a couple of things that I would've wanted to see worked out, and I was expecting that they would get worked out, but then BAM! the end. As if the scriptwriter just quit his job near the ending of his story.

It's still a good, exciting movie nonetheless, but this was just too bad in my opinion.

At 9/5/10 02:16 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 9/4/10 07:41 AM, Auz wrote: Oddly enough, I never heard of the movie anywhere else. Is that movie only out in the UK or something?
No. Actually, in the US, it apparently became one of the most successful limited releases ever.

Looks like it has been released here about a year ago. To be honest, I haven't heard anything from it which I find a bit peculiar since all the British papers are praising it so much and considering its success in America.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 12:45 AM Reply

At 9/7/10 05:04 PM, Auz wrote: Looks like it has been released here about a year ago. To be honest, I haven't heard anything from it which I find a bit peculiar since all the British papers are praising it so much and considering its success in America.

I've seen posters of it in Toronto's subway system that are tie-ins with the books and the film's next part.

Speaking of Toronto, the international film festival just kicked off a few hours ago. Score: A Hockey Musical was one that played and it stars Noah Reid, who I actually used to know as a kid. (We were in the same Beavers and Cub Scouts groups.) I'll be seeing a series of short experimental Canadian films; one of which is The Adder's Bite. I already saw it at another festival that my short film Analyse played at. I loved The Adder's Bite. I didn't understand it, but since it's David Lynch-like, I didn't care so much. It's beautiful and haunting to look at. I've been wanting to see it again and the director is hoping that I come since we've spoken a couple of times. I'll also be seeing Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds. Its premise and rave reviews attracted me to it. The films are next week and I'll tell you guys about them. This is the trailer for The Adder's Bite.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:19 AM Reply

I just saw Kick-Ass. It was a great movie. I loved how it realistically showed what would happen if a nerd actually tried to put on a costume and fight crime, along with all of the awesome fight scenes and such. The violence and action were way over the top, which was really cool and I have to say that Hit-Girl is probably one of the most badass characters in the history of American comics/film. I found myself really enjoying this flick and I think that anyone who's into comic book movies should check this one out.

Cinema Club

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 9/10/10 12:45 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I'll also be seeing Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds. Its premise and rave reviews attracted me to it.

I've been wanting to see Buried since I heard about it a few months back. Please let me know how it is.

I watched Philadelphia this morning on a Movie Channel. I didn't enjoy it all that much, but Tom Hanks did a great job in it as well as Denzel Washington (who I normally don't like).

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 09:17 PM Reply

Based on a friendly recommendation I watched Machine Gun Girl, and I have to say it was a blast.

It's essentially the story of a young Japanese girl seeking vengeance for her brother's murder.

It's so hilariously over the top and camp that you can't help but be glued to the screen to see just what exactly they will do next. Just when you think it's thrown all the craziness at you it can it turns up the dial again. This is the kind of movie I would give a low score but still recommend you see it just because it's so shamelessly eccentric. I will say though that the characters did endear me and it's very easy to like the protagonists.

To get an idea of what you'll see, watch this

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 12th, 2010 @ 05:18 PM Reply

I just came back from Machete.

Awesome movie. Lots of hilarious scenes, over the top violence, nudity, great actors, memorable one-liners and other craziness. It's very entertaining from beginning to end.

If you're into Quentin Tarentino / Robert Rodriguez type movies, you won't be disappointed.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 15th, 2010 @ 12:48 PM Reply

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep/
15/danny-boyle-amputation-127-hours

"Reports say three cinemagoers fainted and one had a seizure at Toronto festival debut of the Trainspotting director's gory new film."

Danny Boyle films are usually good, but they're not usually seizure-causing good!

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 16th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

Watched Little Miss Sunshine recently which I really enjoyed and bought Harry Brown yesterday which I've been dying to see for a while now.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 16th, 2010 @ 07:46 PM Reply

All the short films I saw at the festival are enjoyable, except La Métropolitaine. It takes place in streetcars, subway stations, and subway trains around the world and it's mostly shot in timelapse photography. It's about two characters in love, but who haven't seen each other for a long time. I liked looking at it, but the voice-over narration is pretentious. I felt like making fun of how dry and serious it is. The white subtitles are also occasionally a problem to read. If the narration was reduced, I probably would've liked the film more. It's so-so as it is.

The Adder's Bite is my favourite out of all of them. Unfortunately, the director didn't attend the Q&A because he was sick. It would've been the chance for me to hear him explain it. All I know is it's inspired by ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche, but since I'm only loosely familiar with him, I don't know how his ideas are at work for this film. I kind of like it being left mysterious, though.

The High Level Bridge is a documentary on a bridge in Edmonton that's notorious for suicides. The director gives a darkly funny voice-over narration and the cinematography is interesting. It ends perfectly with the director dropping his camera over the ledge.

I can't be arsed to write about the other short films.

At 9/11/10 05:29 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 9/10/10 12:45 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I'll also be seeing Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds. Its premise and rave reviews attracted me to it.
I've been wanting to see Buried since I heard about it a few months back. Please let me know how it is.

This is a very different film, let alone thriller, since Reynolds almost literally gives a solo performance as Paul, a US contractor in Iraq, who's buried alive in a coffin. The only other characters are ones he talks to on a cell phone he has and a few that briefly appear on a video he watches. The film's very good. Everyone involved makes the situation really believable and claustrophobic. Paul is definitely likable and the film has some humour when he's on the cell phone, which I chuckled at. The character development is touching, but it's kind of predicable. There are just a few other minor flaws I won't get into. The film is suspenseful when it wants to be and pretty devastating. It has to be seen to be believed.

At 9/15/10 12:48 PM, TheMaster wrote: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep/
15/danny-boyle-amputation-127-hours

"Reports say three cinemagoers fainted and one had a seizure at Toronto festival debut of the Trainspotting director's gory new film."

Danny Boyle films are usually good, but they're not usually seizure-causing good!

"He has given us images of dead babies crawling across ceilings, small Indian children plunging into steaming pools of excrement and a trio of Edinburgh flatmates hacking apart a dead body." Why does the article have plural words for the first two when it's one of each? Anyway, I wasn't expecting that response for his new film. I'll have to eventually see it.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 16th, 2010 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 9/16/10 07:46 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: He has given us images of dead babies crawling across ceilings
Why does the article have plural words

I don't know whether it's just a quirk of UK english but yeah that's pretty standard writing really.
Yeah, he could have written "...images of a dead baby crawling, small indian children..." but that doesn't flow as nicely as a sentence.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 16th, 2010 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 9/16/10 08:03 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 9/16/10 07:46 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: He has given us images of dead babies crawling across ceilings
Why does the article have plural words
I don't know whether it's just a quirk of UK english but yeah that's pretty standard writing really.
Yeah, he could have written "...images of a dead baby crawling, small indian children..." but that doesn't flow as nicely as a sentence.

"He has shown us a dead baby crawling across a ceiling, a small Indian child plunging into a steaming pool of excrement," is better, IMO.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 17th, 2010 @ 06:58 AM Reply

lol, well I'm sure we could argue for hours on this

I'M RIGHT

UR RONG

BLA BAL BLA

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 06:49 PM Reply

I finally saw The Room, last night, and it was in a crowded theatre, which shows it monthly. There was major audience participation, which I had never experienced. People constantly shouted criticisms, jokes, and lines from the film. Whenever a spoon is shown in a picture frame, they threw plastic spoons in the air. When characters throw a football around, I saw at least two people throwing their own football back and forth. Hell, I even got into it by shouting jokes and throwing a couple of spoons when they came to me. The film itself is campy, along with filming errors and inconsistencies, as you may have heard. I can't really rate it because of all the shouting. Nevertheless, I'd love to see it again at the theatre, except I'd really try to bring a friend or two.

BBS Signature
Sierra
Sierra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 09:22 PM Reply

I'm not really big into films, but I've been making more of a conscious effort to view more of them as of late. I'm slowly beginning to appreciate movies more and more, but I don't normally view them in the cinema. The most recent film I have watched in the cinema has been Inception, which was probably one of the best films I have ever witnessed. It might actually have been the best film I have ever witnessed, but whenever I watch a film once I always have an overwhelming urge to sit down again and watch it for a second time. I never actually do it, but when I watch a film I always just think to myself "I feel like watching that again". At the moment I'm enjoying more 'brainless' films, such as the Rambo collection. I do occasionally watch more serious films, such as Eastern Promises. It was probably one of the darkest films I have ever watched, but it was a solid experience nonetheless.

I enjoy most of Jason Statham's films, because generally they don't require much thought and provide lots of action. Alright, none of them are probably going to be remembered in the same light as The Godfather, Avatar, Titanic or Inception, but they're still entertaining, and that nails the entire reason I watch films. In the past three or four months I have watched at least thirty films, and this is the first time this has ever really happened to me that I can recall.

The most recent film I have seen is The Bourne Ultimatum. I watched all three Bourne movies in order over the course of a few weekends, and it was a very enjoyable series. It had less focus on action and more on story. While I admit I do enjoy the brainless films, the Bourne series was well written and I did enjoy being a viewer. The first film seemed a little difficult to follow, but as I watched the follow-ups, the story began to make more sense until it all fitted together perfectly.

I'm on Last.fm!
Also, I used to be YeOldeSierra. Now I'm just Sierra :3

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 09:36 PM Reply

I saw Pulp Fiction!

What can I say, it's a classic. Can anyone disagree?

Cinema Club

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 09:56 PM Reply

I just saw Bolt on Blu-Ray.

First of all let me stress this looks very, very good in Blu-Ray. Like, better than most Pixar films do, and this is all Disney.

I really, really enjoyed it. When I saw the trailer, I thought "Oh, this is just some typical kids movie about an animal with superpowers learns to cope without them and getting lost in a city." But, while it was a little typical, the way it was executed was very good. And I honestly didn't expect the plot to shift 10 minutes in: I thought the first 10 minutes was going to be the entire film. So in the movie when the film crew came in I was like "Wait, what?"

Anyway, it was quite enjoyable and was very funny and clever in some parts, and some parts legitimately had me on the edge of my seat, and there are some neat twists and turns here and there.

But can anyone tell me who the FUCK voice acts the cat? I could swear I've heard her somewhere before.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 9/18/10 09:56 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
But can anyone tell me who the FUCK voice acts the cat? I could swear I've heard her somewhere before.

It's Susie Essman. You might recognize her from Curb your Enthusiasm or Crank Yankers.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 9/18/10 10:07 PM, puddinN64 wrote: It's Susie Essman. You might recognize her from Curb your Enthusiasm or Crank Yankers.

...not who I was thinking of, but ok. I thought she did more voice acting, for cartoons and stuff. She just sounded so familiar.

Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 19th, 2010 @ 05:58 PM Reply

Watched Aliens last night. As much as I love the first one, this one really blew it out of the water. I like how they changed the genre from horror to mostly action without ruining what made it good in the first place. The only thing I found annoying was Newt's screaming.

So, should I watch Alien 3? From what I've heard, it isn't as good.