New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 23rd, 2013 @ 11:47 AM Reply

I also went into Sixth Sense without knowing the twist about a year ago, but guessed it as soon as we learn about the kid's power. It's really not that great of a twist anyway, the first scenes made it pretty obvious.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:06 PM Reply

Anyone seen world war z yet?

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 24th, 2013 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 6/24/13 10:49 AM, Travis wrote: or the movie should have been longer.

What. I'd have cut about 60% of it. The entire opening was pointless because jor el just explains the entire thing again later on.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 24th, 2013 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 6/24/13 07:02 PM, Jackho wrote:
What. I'd have cut about 60% of it. The entire opening was pointless because jor el just explains the entire thing again later on.

I didn't mind the Krypton stuff. It was the last 40 minutes that were the real slog. Impossibly boring, lifeless action that just kept going and going forever.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 25th, 2013 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 6/24/13 08:13 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 6/24/13 07:02 PM, Jackho wrote:
I didn't mind the Krypton stuff. It was the last 40 minutes that were the real slog. Impossibly boring, lifeless action that just kept going and going forever.

Watching the Nolan fanboys panic as the RT score plummeted was more entertaining that movie itself.

It was also fun Watching the Marvel fanboys panic when the spoilers about the Mandarin leaked.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 26th, 2013 @ 07:19 PM Reply

I went to see Man of Steel as well tonight.

The CGI is really good in my opinion. The plot, less so. I think some things are left poorly explained and some things didn't make much sense to me. For example, how does Clark Kent manage to disappear without a trace every time when he so obviously exposes his superpowers to almost everyone he meets? You'd think there'd be a lot more talk about him and the government would eventually pick up rumours about him.

I also felt that the film was needlessly long. It's not that the film got boring anywhere in particular in my opinion, but it could've been a bit shorter all-round. The opening scene with Jor-El didn't need to be longer than five minutes if you ask me and I agree with TheMaster that the final action scenes seemed to go on forever.

Anyway, it's not a bad film overall I think. You get what you sign up for and that's mostly what matters for blockbusters like this one.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 30th, 2013 @ 04:18 PM Reply

I had a blast watching This Is the End. It's well-acted, outrageous, and quite funny. The audience I saw it with drowned out some of the dialogue with their laughs, which is kinda disappointing, but not a big deal.

I'm probably gonna see Man of Steel soon. There seems to be a lot of fuss over it. I'm curious to how enjoyable I'll find it.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 1st, 2013 @ 06:52 PM Reply

Just back from The Act of Killing.

It's a masterpiece. See the 160 minute director's cut if you can, because it's worth every second. Going to need more time to process it before I can give a more eloquent review, but it's a film that demands to be both seen and discussed.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:40 PM Reply

I recently watched Dragon, starring Donnie Yen, Takeshi Kaneshiro, and Jimmy Wang freaking Yu as the antagonist. It was a combination of martial arts action and crime drama. It was pretty good, even if it didn't have as much action as I had hoped. Also, it turned into a bit of an homage to the One Armed Swordsman toward the end, which was kind of neat, especially since Jimmy Wang Yu himself had that role decades ago.

I rented Merantau from Netflix, which stars Iko Uwais from the amazing Indonesian action movie, the Raid: Redemption. There's pretty much no way it could possibly be as good as the Raid, but I think it'll at least be decent. I've heard good things. Lots of people have compared it to Ong Bak.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:03 AM Reply

I finally watched Empire Records. It was good. My favorite part was when the kid imagined he was being killed by Gwar on tv.

Also, I think I heard one of the characters say that the Flaming Lips have better bass lines than Primus. If I heard someone say that in real life, I would give them such a dirty look.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 5th, 2013 @ 05:02 PM Reply

Watched A Field In England.

Ben Wheatley can now officially do no wrong in my eyes. This might be better than Kill List. Captures the creepy, restrictive atmosphere as well as that did, even if it's not technically a horror film.

It's out in cinemas, VOD, DVD/Blu-ray and TV simultaneously, so you have no excuse not to see it.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 05:11 PM Reply

At 6/30/13 04:18 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I'm probably gonna see Man of Steel soon. There seems to be a lot of fuss over it. I'm curious to how enjoyable I'll find it.

I saw it and I think it's decent. The acting is surprisingly just OK and there's not really a performance that stands out, except maybe Michael Shannon as General Zod. The story's interesting enough and the action is solid. I can't ignore all the collateral damage that Superman and others cause during the big climax scene, though. You have to wonder just how many civilians were killed and how much money all the property damage costs. Also, I think the film looks kinda lifeless. The Dark Knight Rises looks much more alive than this film. Anyway, I did get a bit bored, but Man of Steel is still entertaining.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 06:17 PM Reply

Recently watched High Fidelity and Almost Famous. They're pretty good.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 7/7/13 05:11 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: there's not really a performance that stands out, except maybe Michael Shannon as General Zod.

Really? I'm a big fan of him normally, but thought he was really miscast in this.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 06:48 PM Reply

Request: what are the coolest posters you know of, official or not?

Thinking of decorating these plain ass walls. Got my eye on Back to the Future, Terminator 1/2, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars. I lean mostly towards 80s and especially hand painted stuff but it doesn't matter.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 7th, 2013 @ 10:57 PM Reply

At 7/7/13 06:48 PM, Jackho wrote: Request: what are the coolest posters you know of, official or not?

Thinking of decorating these plain ass walls. Got my eye on Back to the Future, Terminator 1/2, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars. I lean mostly towards 80s and especially hand painted stuff but it doesn't matter.

Some ideas:

Enter the Void
Inception
Frozen
The Tree of Life

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 8th, 2013 @ 05:12 AM Reply

I just watched Merantau, and it was awesome. Of course, it wasn't as great as the Raid: Redemption, but it still rocked. I can see why so many people compare it to Ong Bak and the Protector, even though Iko Uwais uses silat in this movie, which is noticeably different than muay Thai. Still, it's a martial arts movie about a guy who lives in a small, extremely rural Asian village and goes to a large city where he confronts a criminal organization and kicks everybody's ass. It also features many bad guys writhing on the ground after getting beaten. And the main character gets picked up by the neck and choked out in the final fight, eyes bulging from blood pressure, and manages to get out of it, just like in Ong Bak. Also, it features a fight scene with a long, continuous shot, which is something for which the protector is famous (:P). It wasn't nearly as long as the scene in the Protector, though. The only problem I had was that it started off a bit slow and it didn't have quite as much action as I had hoped. It still had a good amount, though, and the fights were awesome and VERY well shot.

I really hope Iko Uwais will be in a whole lot more action movies and have a good long career. I'm probably going to buy this movie some time. I heard that they're making a sequel to the Raid: Redemption. I hope it doesn't take too long to reach the west.

Cinema Club

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 8th, 2013 @ 02:44 PM Reply

I went to check out Frances Ha today. An indie film that reminds me very much of TV series like Girls.

I believe the film is generally praised by critics, but I can imagine it's hit-and-miss with most viewers. Personally I don't think the film was all that clever or funny or charming or original. In fact, everything felt a bit pretentious to me. However, other people might be very endeared by Frances' persona. I do have to say that Greta Gerwig did a good job portraying the main character. Had they put a worse actress in that role the film would've fallen apart probably.

Anyway, Francis Ha left me unimpressed in the end. I think the film really needed a lot more charm and wit to work. Also, it could've done with at least a few likeable side characters. It seemed like almost everyone was a self-absorbed douche.

At 7/7/13 10:57 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: The Tree of Life

Speaking of which, I saw a trailer for To The Wonder, which is a film from the same director which looked very similar in nature to The Tree of Life. I thought you might be interested.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 8th, 2013 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 7/8/13 02:44 PM, Auz wrote:
At 7/7/13 10:57 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: The Tree of Life
Speaking of which, I saw a trailer for To The Wonder, which is a film from the same director which looked very similar in nature to The Tree of Life. I thought you might be interested.

Yeah, I know about it. I might rent it.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 12:49 AM Reply

Watched 2010's Super. Underrated flick. I loved the story and humor of it and while it's not perfect, I think it was a more enjoyable film than Kick-Ass. The scene where the Crimson Bolt just beats the hell out of a jerk with a pipe wrench is extremely satisfying. I'd give it a four out of five.

Cinema Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 10:33 PM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y16TEl6Ek1M

I'm pretty stoked about Curse of Chucky coming out.

They're finally getting rid of the satire crap and playing it straight again.

Cinema Club

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 10:39 PM Reply

At 7/10/13 10:33 PM, Darthdenim wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y16TEl6Ek1M

I'm pretty stoked about Curse of Chucky coming out.

They're finally getting rid of the satire crap and playing it straight again.

It also looks like they're going back to an interesting concept from the original movie that wasn't used in the other sequels.

That Chucky starts to look more human as time progresses.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 10:57 PM Reply

It also looks like they're going back to an interesting concept from the original movie that wasn't used in the other sequels.

That Chucky starts to look more human as time progresses.

You can definitely see the difference when you compare screenshots.

Cinema Club

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

There have been power outages and flooding here in Toronto, recently. Yesterday, my house's power was out, so I decided to watch The Way, Way Back at a theatre. The film's a comedy drama about a teenage boy's summer vacation. It's funny and just very well-made. I even got kinda sad at the end.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 11th, 2013 @ 02:21 AM Reply

I thought the original Child's Play was just silly. At least the comedy in Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky wasn't unintentional.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 11th, 2013 @ 08:32 PM Reply

Whelp, the Oldboy 2013 trailer is out. Looks very american.

He sees what his daughter looks like on TV, so either they changed the ending or made it a lot less believable.

Also, I can't help but think the bit with the years flashing on screen was taken straight from this fanmade trailer for the original.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 11th, 2013 @ 09:27 PM Reply

Why the fuck does everything foreign have to be remade? Fucking Hollywood.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 07:49 AM Reply

At 7/10/13 11:44 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: There have been power outages and flooding here in Toronto, recently. Yesterday, my house's power was out, so I decided to watch The Way, Way Back at a theatre. The film's a comedy drama about a teenage boy's summer vacation. It's funny and just very well-made. I even got kinda sad at the end.

I've been looking forward to this. Glad it's good.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 02:27 PM Reply

I watched a bunch of films the last couple of days.

Monsters, Inc. and Monsters University:
Not Pixar's best franchise, but entertaining films nonetheless. I like how they made Monsters University a prequel rather than a sequel.

To The Wonder:
I liked it more than The Tree of Life. It's similar in style, but the narrative seemed a lot more coherent to me. It's less heavy on symbolism and the story has more direction. I can imagine fans of The Tree of Life may like To The Wonder less for that reason though.

At 7/11/13 08:32 PM, Jackho wrote: Whelp, the Oldboy 2013 trailer is out. Looks very american.

He sees what his daughter looks like on TV, so either they changed the ending or made it a lot less believable.

I don't know if that girl on TV was actually meant to be his daughter, but it does look like they altered the story such that the major twist becomes far more obvious. Also, I feel like this trailer already gives away more than the entire first 100 minutes of the original film.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 03:01 PM Reply

I rented the new Schwarzenegger movie. I'll probably watch it tomorrow cuz I'm gonna spend all my time this evening with Dragon's Dogma.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature