00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wulfwynne just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

437,022 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-22 02:50:12

At 1/22/10 02:30 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 1/22/10 02:27 AM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote: matric triolgy
What is this matric triolgy you speak of?

oh noes lack of sleep is getting to me

i like the matrix trilogy more for its deist view on philosophy, i only really like the first movie,

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-22 06:01:44

At 1/22/10 02:27 AM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote: robocop
hollowman
basic instinct

thoose are just some of my favourites,

Lol, do you really like Paul Verhoeven that much? :p I get Robocop, but Hollow Man? That movie was nothing that special as far as I could see, very odd choice for a favorites list.

Anyway you might wanna watch Starship Troopers as well then someday. Personally I thought it was better than Hollow Man.

Or Black Book, which is very different from his other movies but probably his best yet.

At 1/22/10 02:50 AM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote: i like the matrix trilogy more for its deist view on philosophy, i only really like the first movie,

I think most people do, but personally I thought the second and third were still fairly enjoyable.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-22 07:42:24

My flatmate got a couple of "new releases" for Christmas so I nicked Inglorious Basterds and X-Men Origins: Wolverine and gave them both a bash.

Inglorious Basterds was a fantastic movie, as are all of Tarantino's stuff. My favorite seen was by far the opening one which went on for about twenty/thirty minutes. As far as the rest of the film goes it really didn't seem to link up with it well but I thought it was fantastically well written and really had me looking forward to the rest of the film.

Wolverine was pretty much your typical X-Men movie (all of which I've really liked so far) and didn't disappoint on that front. Having never read the comments it was good to learn about Logan's past and see some previously unseen characters (Gamit's fucking excellent), as well as some previous characters back in their youth (that guy who's name I can't remember who shoots the laser from his eyes). Hopefully they'll continue with these "origins" movies and introduce more characters, but I doubt they'll be many more interesting than Wolverine, hence why they did this one first.

Gonna get round to watching The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button at some point this weekend as well.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-22 14:54:26

At 1/22/10 06:01 AM, Auz wrote:
At 1/22/10 02:27 AM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote: robocop
hollowman
basic instinct

thoose are just some of my favourites,
Lol, do you really like Paul Verhoeven that much? :p I get Robocop, but Hollow Man? That movie was nothing that special as far as I could see, very odd choice for a favorites list.

Anyway you might wanna watch Starship Troopers as well then someday. Personally I thought it was better than Hollow Man.

Or Black Book, which is very different from his other movies but probably his best yet.

I havent seen black book yet, lol yeah i do like verhoven that much, lol, theres just something about his movies, i forgot to add starship troopers to that list, i wrote it off the top of my head at 2 in the morning, when id been awake for two days,

i need to see alot of his older movies, i had download blood + flesh but it got deleted before i watched it

At 1/22/10 02:50 AM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote: i like the matrix trilogy more for its deist view on philosophy, i only really like the first movie,
I think most people do, but personally I thought the second and third were still fairly enjoyable.

they were ok, i just didnt feel the atmosphere i liked from the first matrix

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-22 15:25:56

At 1/21/10 12:53 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 1/20/10 07:13 PM, puddinN64 wrote:
I'm gonna see No Distance Left to Run, which is a documentary about the British rock band Blur, who where most active in the '90s. They're one of my favourite bands, so I'm looking forward to it.

Any idea where I can get my hands on that. I sadly missed their summer gigs but I really want to see this.

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-22 15:57:47

At 1/22/10 07:42 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: (Gamit's fucking excellent), as well as some previous characters back in their youth (that guy who's name I can't remember who shoots the laser from his eyes).

I hated Gambit. He has to be one of the most boring superheroes ever. All he does is throw cards really hard and swing his pimp walking stick a little.
Cyclops' back story should of had more attention I think, obviously it's Wolverine's movie and so it couldn't of had much but an extra 5-10 minutes would of been nice.

Hopefully they'll continue with these "origins" movies and introduce more characters, but I doubt they'll be many more interesting than Wolverine, hence why they did this one first.

I'm pretty sure thats already the plan for the future. They were gonna make a Magneto one but after a quick look at wikipedia thats apparently out the window now :(.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-23 10:53:14

Guys I think I could use a little input from regular cinema goers.

Me and my girlfriend are planning to go and see Avatar in the cinema in the upcoming week and it looks like we only got two options:
-IMAX experience
-3D

On one hand we're thinking that this movie is probably best when watched in 3D and since I've never seen anything in 3D before it will most likely be a mindblowing experience.

On the other hand I've heard several complaints about people getting massive headaches after 20 minutes, forcing them to walk out of the theater. Plus I'm a little skeptical about this 3D craze in general and I think a movie should still be enjoyable even in 2D.

So we actually prefer 2D, but the ticket prices differ a lot. IMAX experience is EU14.50 while 3D is only EU7.50, so I think we'll go for 3D in the end because of the major price difference.

But any thoughts/opinions/experiences anyone could share?

At 1/22/10 02:54 PM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote:
At 1/22/10 06:01 AM, Auz wrote: Anyway you might wanna watch Starship Troopers as well then someday. Personally I thought it was better than Hollow Man.

I havent seen black book yet, lol yeah i do like verhoven that much, lol, theres just something about his movies, i forgot to add starship troopers to that list, i wrote it off the top of my head at 2 in the morning, when id been awake for two days,

i need to see alot of his older movies, i had download blood + flesh but it got deleted before i watched it

I think his older movies are mostly dutch movies, of which I'm not sure if they have ever been shown outside of Holland. "Soldaat van Oranje" is one of his best older movies, but no idea if you could find an English version of it anywhere.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-23 15:54:04

At 1/22/10 07:42 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
Gonna get round to watching The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button at some point this weekend as well.

Same here. I'm also seeing The Book of Eli tomorrow, so there are two movies off my lust right there.

Inspeaking of movies on the list, I just watched Se7en a couple nights ago. Same directors as Benjamin Button and Fight Club. THe movie reminded me a lot of Fight Club because of the dark and gritty setting, which was one of my favorite parts about both. The acting was phenomenal, but I wouldn't expect any thing less from Morgan Freeman, or Brad Pitt. The best scene is when they are driving to the bodies at the end.

One thing that bothered the hell out of me is that the last murders were John Doe's masterpiece which he has been planning for at least a year, but there is no way he could have known that Brad Pitt's character would come along, so it couldn't have been too thought out, and I can't consider it a master piece. I had the same problem with Joker's spiel about not being a schemer when there is no way he could have coordinated so much by not planning. I don't, I guess it is just me. Also, there was no falling action, it climaxes and finishes. I like to cuddle with my movies after they climax before we fall asleep. 8/10

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-23 18:06:58

At 1/22/10 09:38 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 1/22/10 03:25 PM, PhyroDragon wrote:
Any idea where I can get my hands on that. I sadly missed their summer gigs but I really want to see this.
Damn, you missed it. It was playing yesterday for one-night-only in Canada. Luckily, it's gonna come out Feb. 16th on DVD, along with their live performance in Hyde Park.

Thank god that's not too long. I don't think they played it out in Niagara Falls anyways if it was a one night thing. Now I got Gorillaz and that to look forward too.

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-24 02:43:57

At 1/23/10 10:53 AM, Auz wrote:

At 1/22/10 02:54 PM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote:
I think his older movies are mostly dutch movies, of which I'm not sure if they have ever been shown outside of Holland. "Soldaat van Oranje" is one of his best older movies, but no idea if you could find an English version of it anywhere.

yeah ive seen most of his english flicks so i just wanna see his dutch flicks, and im sure i can find them subtitled online, piratebay FTW or demonoid,

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-24 09:32:33

At 1/23/10 03:54 PM, boloneyman wrote: Inspeaking of movies on the list, I just watched Se7en a couple nights ago.

Great movie, although it was long ago since I last watched it.

One thing that bothered the hell out of me is that the last murders were John Doe's masterpiece which he has been planning for at least a year, but there is no way he could have known that Brad Pitt's character would come along, so it couldn't have been too thought out, and I can't consider it a master piece.

Did not bother me all that much, but like I said it was long ago since I last watched it and I was not that critical about movies yet.

I had the same problem with Joker's spiel about not being a schemer when there is no way he could have coordinated so much by not planning.

I think the point might have been that the Joker did not really have a 'masterplan' like most villains always have. He did not go for world domination or lots of money or the destruction of the earth. He just wanted to create chaos and (perhaps) prove something about human nature. Of course he had little plans here and there, but he probably would not know what to do once he has succeeded in creating that chaos. Hence why he said:
"I'm like a mad dog chasing cars, I would not know what do to with it when I catch one".

In that sense he is not much of a schemer, since there is not really anything in particular that he is going for. Just my interpretation.

At 1/23/10 05:58 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: According to IMAX's website, it's only playing in 3D. Back in the summer, I saw a free 20-25 minute preview of the film in that format. I loved every moment of it. I ended up seeing the whole film in regular 3D and while the film wasn't as good as the preview, the 3D effects were still dazzling, even though my eyes hurt a bit. I didn't get a massive headache or anything. That's probably a personal preference, like the shaky cam nausea reports from Cloverfield. Since I was working in a movie theatre at the time, I heard that about four people at my theatre alone threw up while watching it. The management had to put warnings up, as did other theatres. I was kind of annoyed, too, by the film's shaky cam, but I was generally fine.

Anyway, it's up to you what you wanna do. You could indulge yourself by seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D or you can see it in a regular auditorium in 3D or 2D. I'm obviously not you, so I don't know how you're gonna respond to the 3D effects. I guess you have to see it, yourself. I should also add I didn't see any warnings about nausea when I saw it.

I've seen Cloverfield in the cinema as well and I didn't have any trouble watching it. So I suppose I should be fine when watching 3D as well then.

Anyway I talked about it with a friend yesterday and he said it was an amazing cinema experience and if you can watch anything in IMAX you should always go for IMAX. But when I named the price difference he was not sure if that 7 Euros extra was really worth it. So I guess we'll just go and see it in regular 3D.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-24 13:22:55

At 1/24/10 09:32 AM, Auz wrote: In that sense he is not much of a schemer, since there is not really anything in particular that he is going for. Just my interpretation.

I'd be more concerned about the giant fucking bathuman that goes around fighting crime :P.
You really can't be picky about the plot in anything related to Batman.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-24 14:03:51

I recently took a liking to the Die Hard series. Number 3 was my favorite. My favorite movie at the moment is probably The Matrix. I just can't stop quoting it.

There's a bit of a problem in this club. You see, if someone hasn't seen a movie, some munter could come along and really screw up a movie for that one. What if the movie is based on a book and the movie sucks? It might turn into a book conversation for some people. I may as well just be grateful that Eoin Colfer is making his movie true to the book.

And by the way.

Cinema Club

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-24 14:17:43

At 1/24/10 02:03 PM, Mokevo wrote: I recently took a liking to the Die Hard series. Number 3 was my favorite.

What, really? I thought 3 was one of the weakest in the series. Worse than 1 and 2, at the very least.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-24 15:34:08

At 1/24/10 02:17 PM, TheMaster wrote: What, really? I thought 3 was one of the weakest in the series. Worse than 1 and 2, at the very least.

I prefer 3 to 2 and 4. Though I've not really seen 2 much, but I didn't like the bad dudes in it. At least Jeremy Irons is funny as a German.
And obviously 1 is the best for the very same reason, cept not with Mr. Irons of course.

What is you said? Yippie kai eh.... maddafucka!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 05:35:33

Lol, I chucked in my projectionist job, and now I'm working in film dispatch. The amount of films we have to throw out weekly to make room for new ones is quite depressing.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 07:02:59

At 1/25/10 05:35 AM, jarrydn wrote: Lol, I chucked in my projectionist job, and now I'm working in film dispatch. The amount of films we have to throw out weekly to make room for new ones is quite depressing.

Throw out!? Or does someone keep them or something?

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 12:52:01

At 1/25/10 07:02 AM, Life-Stream wrote:
At 1/25/10 05:35 AM, jarrydn wrote: Lol, I chucked in my projectionist job, and now I'm working in film dispatch. The amount of films we have to throw out weekly to make room for new ones is quite depressing.
Throw out!? Or does someone keep them or something?

Most 35mm projections are kept in the cinema basement, others thrown out, etc.

This comes from the fact that 35mm film used in its early days contained nitrocellulose which made the film extremely flammable (Hence how film would often burn from over exposure to the bulb from the film projector.)

=) I'm a Visual Arts Major minoring in Film. =)

"Falling from grace cause' I've been away too long.

Leaving you behind with this lonesome song,

now I'm lost, in oblivion" ------ MASTODON

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 14:03:04

I'm not reading the rest of that post on the Hurt Locker, since I have not yet watched it. I have it from Netflix right now.

Paul Verhoven. He's made some good cheesy fun movies like Robocop and Total Recall. Robocop was a childhood favorite of mine, the humor and general goofiness completely lost on me then, of course. A serious dramatic epic like Black Book was quite a change for him, but it turned out pretty good, despite being a little soap opera-ish and overlong. I liked it. And that Rachel chick is fucking hot. I thought the Hollow Man was pure suck, though. Also, I didn't care too much for Flesh + Blood. I rented it to see Jeniffer Jason Leigh's full frontal scene.

On the topic of the Matrix, the first one was awesome, the second wasn't, but still had some nice action, and the third was a disaster, though even still not without some kinda neat action scenes. I have all 3 movies, but I've only watched the last one once. I was very disappointed.

At 1/24/10 02:17 PM, TheMaster wrote: What, really? I thought 3 was one of the weakest in the series. Worse than 1 and 2, at the very least.

What? Really?. I thought Die Hard 2 kinda sucked. The first and third ones are good, though. And I don't know if I'll ever bother to watch the last one.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 15:32:28

At 1/25/10 02:03 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: What? Really?. I thought Die Hard 2 kinda sucked. The first and third ones are good, though. And I don't know if I'll ever bother to watch the last one.

It's alright if you can get over the fact you're watching John McClane hang out with Silent Bob and that fail kid from Dodgeball.
I never realised that there is, apparently, no swearing in it. I would if I watched it again, but the first time I never.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 16:12:36

I just watched Inglourious Basterds again.

To anyone who didn't like it the first time, I would recommend you give it another watch someday. I think it does get better and better with repeated viewings.

At 1/24/10 02:43 AM, Mr-Fluffykins wrote:
yeah ive seen most of his english flicks so i just wanna see his dutch flicks, and im sure i can find them subtitled online, piratebay FTW or demonoid,

Forgot to reply to this last time, sorry.

I haven't seen much of his dutch movies yet, but I know "Turks Fruit" is a very popular movie here so you might wanna give that one a watch as well.

At 1/25/10 12:52 PM, thereverendis wrote: Most 35mm projections are kept in the cinema basement, others thrown out, etc.

This comes from the fact that 35mm film used in its early days contained nitrocellulose which made the film extremely flammable (Hence how film would often burn from over exposure to the bulb from the film projector.)

Which I've just witnessed while I was watching Inglourious Basterds :p

At 1/25/10 02:03 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I liked it. And that Rachel chick is fucking hot.

I think you're talking about Carice van Houten. Dutch actrice who's been waiting for her Hollywood breakthrough for years now. She didn't succeed with the movie Valkyrie, but I think she might have her breakthrough sooner or later if she keeps going on like this.

She's pretty hot indeed :p

I thought the Hollow Man was pure suck, though.

Yeah like I said it wasn't that good.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-25 21:33:54

At 1/25/10 12:52 PM, thereverendis wrote: Most 35mm projections are kept in the cinema basement, others thrown out, etc.

If cinemas are holding onto prints after their run ends, then that is most definitely illegal, and they will be found out sooner or later. I work for a subsidiary of a major film production company, and all the cinemas in the state have to adhere to a strict contract. If films are returned late, they get a fine, just like at the video store ;D

Once all the country locations and smaller independent theaters have had an opportunity to screen a film, we cull as many copies of the print as possible, and only hang onto a couple. I filled up a skip bin with spools from one film a couple of days ago.

Regular film will still burn up if a frame is left in the film gate for more than a couple of seconds. 4kw of focused light tends to have that effect ;D. Also, nitrate film doesn't even need to be exposed to heat...it can spontaneously combust under the right circumstances.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 12:32:36

Guys it looks like Avatar has officially surpassed Titanic in the last few days and has become the new #1 at the World Wide Box Office.

Interesting side-note though: When taking inflation into account, Avatar would not even be in the top 30. Gone With The Wind, a 1939 film, sold three times as many tickets back then and Avatar would only be ranked #32 at the moment. Titanic being #6. Even very recent movies such as The Dark Knight and Shrek 2 sold more tickets, but they didn't have such high ticket prices for those apparently.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 14:26:22

I watched Benjamin Button on Saturday, and holy crap I loved this movie. The main reason I loved it because I found the story so compelling. As soon as Kate Blanchet started speaking in the beginning I was sucked in and couldn't turn away from the screen. 10/10

I also caught Book of Eli on Sunday. It is okay, not much to say really. Decent action, solid acting. It made me want to watch the Mad Max movies to be honest. I'd suggest just waiting for it come out on DVD to see it. 6/10

Ratatouille is next. I never saw it because I hated Cars and thought Pixars was only going to get worse. I had a change of heart when I saw Wall E though.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 14:26:55

At 1/19/10 10:06 PM, boloneyman wrote: I just crossed Misery off the to-see list.

i ahve that downloaded its in my list of things to watch, the gets bigger before i can watch anything lol fuck

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 14:29:46

I watched Benjamin Button on Saturday, and holy crap I loved this movie. The main reason I loved it because I found the story so compelling. As soon as Kate Blanchet started speaking in the beginning I was sucked in and couldn't turn away from the screen. 10/10

I also caught Book of Eli on Sunday. It is okay, not much to say really. Decent action, solid acting. It made me want to watch the Mad Max movies to be honest. I'd suggest just waiting for it come out on DVD to see it. 6/10

Ratatouille is next. I never saw it because I hated Cars and thought Pixars was only going to get worse. I had a change of heart when I saw Wall E though.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 14:35:08

i like cars, its was ok, ratatoullie was good, walle was my favourite, i thought up was astep down

benjamin button is the spiritual suscessor of forrest gump

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 16:26:36

At 1/26/10 02:29 PM, boloneyman wrote: Ratatouille is next. I never saw it because I hated Cars and thought Pixars was only going to get worse. I had a change of heart when I saw Wall E though.

I didn't think Ratatouille was all that amazing. Don't get me wrong - it was pretty good and fairly enjoyable, but it didn't feel like anything special to me. Just a standard animation movie with a fairly predictable plot. In my opinion Wall-E was definitely better.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 17:28:57

At 1/26/10 12:32 PM, Auz wrote: Even very recent movies such as The Dark Knight and Shrek 2 sold more tickets, but they didn't have such high ticket prices for those apparently.

Ticket prices are higher for 3D films :]

Response to Cinema Club 2010-01-26 18:17:20

At 1/26/10 04:26 PM, Auz wrote:

I didn't think Ratatouille was all that amazing. Don't get me wrong - it was pretty good and fairly enjoyable, but it didn't feel like anything special to me. Just a standard animation movie with a fairly predictable plot. In my opinion Wall-E was definitely better.

not to mention watching walle high rather then watching RAt. high, theres a huge difference

LSD!

BBS Signature