00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NobeastcanDefeatme just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds RPG

5,230 Views | 95 Replies

Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:20:22

God i'm bored. So i got this idea of making some kind of D&D related, Newgrounds themed role playing game. I was thinking along the lines of, similar to Dungeons & Dragons, but much more simple and easy to understand. And mix that with Magic, The Gathering style card game.

It sounds like a fun idea to me. Maybe if it works, it'll become popular. Anyway, some ideas? Anything and everything you can think of, toss em' to me, and i'll make this "game".

Intending for this to be a board/card game, NOT a flash game.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:21:25

God no, they did that on CEF and it failed really hard.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:21:53

At 3/21/08 08:20 PM, Elios wrote:

were would you sell it.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:38:38

They should totally make NewGroundsopoly

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:39:56

At 3/21/08 08:38 PM, weirDfunK wrote: They should totally make NewGroundsopoly

Tom Fulp's office is Park Place?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:40:22

It would take the same basic time to level up.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:41:11

So is this gonna be like a physical game, or some kidn of MUD/browser game?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:41:50

At 3/21/08 08:21 PM, yellowcard41 wrote:
were would you sell it.

Town Square, we'd get Parker Bros. to invest.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:45:58

were would you sell it.

Sell? Hell no, i'm keeping this for myself. Maybe i'll produce a few copies for Tom Fulp and his gang.

I really don't blame you for thinking it's a stupid idea. But hell, i'm bored, and my vast imagination is going to waste here.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:46:50

At 3/21/08 08:39 PM, PhoenixTails wrote:

I guess that would make Wade's office Broadway

The knowledge of power cannot be used wisely without first acquiring the power of knowledge

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:49:30

No no no no no...

I was thinking, like this. With D&D you start with a character, "Bob" for example (not Mod bob, just "bob")
Bob starts at level one. A lone guy, who fights evil. He can level up, get XP, (what would be cool, Blam/Protection points could be like, kill count, for each kill, +1 point)

Eventually, bob get's stronger, and fights tougher opponents (newgrounds characters maybe)
With the magic, the gathering idea, perhaps using cards as equiptment, spells, counter-spells, stuff like that. My imagination is out of control, and i'm starting to like this idea.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:52:56

Flash avenue, you owe me 600 grounds points my friend.

Last night as you slept, I touched your face and you smiled!...

but now you frown. A pity. Smiling is healthier.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:56:14

Well since I know both pretty well, u could try creating figurines of certain NG characters. Of course u can't have a D+D game/card game w/o certain abilities, first have certain stats 4 each figurine. Then maybe try some tech cards for some upgrades on each character. I 'll be back with some more ideas my friends r needy.

The knowledge of power cannot be used wisely without first acquiring the power of knowledge

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:56:30

At 3/21/08 08:47 PM, Twilight95 wrote: U SHould Just MAke It Like A Flash GTA

U shuld read mah first post num nutz.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 20:59:27

At 3/21/08 08:56 PM, spilldog wrote: Well since I know both pretty well, u could try creating figurines of certain NG characters. Of course u can't have a D+D game/card game w/o certain abilities, first have certain stats 4 each figurine. Then maybe try some tech cards for some upgrades on each character. I 'll be back with some more ideas my friends r needy.

That's what i was thinking. With the cards, cetain card types could be like, equiptment, magical weapons, spells. how it would work, is; During a "battle", player draws a certain amount of cards, to use them to their advantage against their foe (would work for player vs. NPC, or player vs. player)

Add that, with D&D turn based style, using figureines, maps etc. Sounds like a fun game.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 21:30:57

At 3/21/08 09:01 PM, JoxskornerStudios01 wrote:
It sounds like a fun idea to me. Maybe if it works, it'll become popular. Anyway, some ideas? Anything and everything you can think of, toss em' to me, and i'll make this "game".
uh... ok

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/23 6362

*Sigh* Don't people read anymore...?

NOT a flash game! board game!

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-21 23:58:45

At 3/21/08 08:46 PM, spilldog wrote:
At 3/21/08 08:39 PM, PhoenixTails wrote:
I guess that would make Wade's office Broadway

I meant to say Boardwalk

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 00:08:05

At 3/21/08 08:49 PM, Elios wrote: No no no no no...

I was thinking, like this. With D&D you start with a character, "Bob" for example (not Mod bob, just "bob")
Bob starts at level one. A lone guy, who fights evil. He can level up, get XP, (what would be cool, Blam/Protection points could be like, kill count, for each kill, +1 point)

Eventually, bob get's stronger, and fights tougher opponents (newgrounds characters maybe)
With the magic, the gathering idea, perhaps using cards as equiptment, spells, counter-spells, stuff like that. My imagination is out of control, and i'm starting to like this idea.

Sorry about that my buddies and I were playing a AWs DOR elimination tourney. Actually that's a good idea, u should have stat cards that go with each figure. As for equipment have guns of all kinds, swords (special sword types 4 characters like the castle crashers) don't forget the NGs tank. As 4 the spells/tech cards I'm sure there r tons of capabilities that r shown in all the aniomations.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 00:10:41

were would you sell it.

Anywhere under Tom's copyrigh.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 00:10:56

At 3/21/08 08:20 PM, Elios wrote: God i'm bored. So i got this idea of making some kind of D&D related, Newgrounds themed role playing game. I was thinking along the lines of, similar to Dungeons & Dragons, but much more simple and easy to understand. And mix that with Magic, The Gathering style card game.

hmmm.... sounds interesting but something more like an rpg game though that would be pretty tight create your NGer avatar get weapons and do missions would be pretty fun expand on the idea my man elios

"Chill I got this."

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 00:11:52

regular game in the dark ages.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 00:19:12

At 3/21/08 08:59 PM, Elios wrote:
At 3/21/08 08:56 PM, spilldog wrote: Well since I know both pretty well, u could try creating figurines of certain NG characters. Of course u can't have a D+D game/card game w/o certain abilities, first have certain stats 4 each figurine. Then maybe try some tech cards for some upgrades on each character. I 'll be back with some more ideas my friends r needy.
That's what i was thinking. With the cards, cetain card types could be like, equiptment, magical weapons, spells. how it would work, is; During a "battle", player draws a certain amount of cards, to use them to their advantage against their foe (would work for player vs. NPC, or player vs. player)

Add that, with D&D turn based style, using figureines, maps etc. Sounds like a fun game.

It would require a small amount of research, not to mention finding card creator software and finding someone or a company to create the figures. Oh and when it comes to the maps use hex types there more versatile when it comes to fighting at different angles, squares suck now in comparison. Also when it comes to the xp part the blam/protect points, r good have maybe monsters that r bad flash, and since it's your game u can determine the bad flash types. Also it's good to have the villains for all the different NGs characters. It's just a few ideas have fun with it man, and good luck :) PS if u need anymore fuel for your imagination PM me i'll be happy to help :)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 00:33:22

whatever happened to that one dud who was gonna make the NG board game?

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 01:03:18

I want to be a mage.

I still haven't forgiven the asians for pearl harbor.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 01:04:49

Level icons as weapons, each with unique stat-raisers and/or abilities.
Starting classes such as lurker, portalman, etc.

Just a few starting ideas.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 01:17:13

Very impressive. I've thought about this type of thing before. Mind if i toss a few ideas?

First off, we all know D&D is a pain in the ass to learn how to play. So, to simplify everything, use the basic D&D engine: Reduce everything to small numbers. For example, dealing damage, when a character attacks another character, the player rolls a D20 (twenty sided die) and checks the AC (armor class), if it matches the number, or higher, it's a hit...ANYway, instead, make it simple. Perhaps use a 6 sided dice, or any simple method you can think of.

As for classes, start with the basics: Fighter, Wizard, Rouge, Ranger, Paladin, Cleric. Design those however you want. And for the Newgrounds theme, add classes like: Portal Guard, Dark Blammer, Spammer, Clock, Tankmen, etc.

I like your adaptation of Magic: The Gathering theroy. A good way to use this, would be for casting spells, or adding magical equiptment to your character. For instance, during a "battle", a player will draw a hand of cards, and use whatever cards they have, to their advantage. You don't have to limit this to magical spells. You can create "Fighting move" cards, for the melee combat types, like "slash attack" or "whirlwind attack", somthing crazy, i dunno.

There's a few ideas, i'll send some more soon.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 01:44:20

At 3/22/08 01:17 AM, DungeonMasterClock wrote: Brilliance!

Hot damn DMClock, those are some great ideas! I'm gonna start with a basic game design, make a few characters, stats, cards, etc. See where it goes from there. Thanks everyone! i'll keep ya posted.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:27:27

Any more ideas? I'm working on a basic game structure, that adapts D&D with MtG. If you want to pitch in ideas for a game campaign (story) characters, spells, or anything else you can think of, go for it. You will be credited.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:28:53

I just finished playing th DEMO for Newgrounds RPG when i came here...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:29:23

At 3/21/08 08:45 PM, Elios wrote:
Sell? Hell no, i'm keeping this for myself. Maybe i'll produce a few copies for Tom Fulp and his gang.

And this is why nobody helps you.

BBS Signature