00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soniccrackers23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds RPG

5,241 Views | 95 Replies

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:31:31

At 3/22/08 06:29 PM, Samurai wrote:
At 3/21/08 08:45 PM, Elios wrote:
And this is why nobody helps you.

And this is why i have to do EVERYthing myself. *sigh*

Lol, actually, if this idea works. I'd be more than happy to publish these ideas into a game, and distribute it for free for NG users.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:41:07

Okay then- Help I will.

I have experience with games like Dungeons and Dragons (and /tg/), so I'll help.

First of all, in DnD like DMClock says, you have an armor class, which is basically determined by your armor and how fast you move. Someone who's trying to punch you in the face would roll a 20 sided die, and then add any bonuses they get for being faster, bigger, stronger, or whatever. After it's a confirmed hit, damage is dealt on a separate roll.

Maybe someone's character, or combatant, is a flash itself? I'm not sure if you wanted to go ahead and make the user a character, or make the flash fight other flashes in the portal..

I like the idea of the user being a character, but I don't see how he could fight another user without it just being physical combat.

All I know is that Samurai will be a sweet-ass NPC with all the goods.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:56:30

At 3/22/08 06:41 PM, Samurai wrote:

Right on. Here's a few other ideas i had: Users will have their own custom designed character sheets. Like the version 3.5 D&D, but modified for this game. I was working on how to simplify stats last night, and i came up with this. The 5 basic "character statistics" will be
- Strength (self explainitory)
- Agiility
- Health (important for all classes, ability to survive, increase HP)
- Intelligence (important for magic users)
- Wisdom (character's will power, and common sense)
Simple as that. (No charisma. Useless stat)
Anyway, i'm still working on how to put numbers on everything, but it's a good start.

Also, i got some ideas with the magic cards adaptation to the game. Players can equipt their character with a deck of cards. The 4 elements of these cards will be: Offense (melee attacks, magic attacks), Defense (heal HP, protective spells), Summon (summon allies, monsters), Equiptment (apply temporary items on your character for a bonus). With that basic structure, you can create an infinite number of cards.

Final thing. I though about what kind of game style this could be (D&D, based on medieval times, Warhammer, based on the future, etc) I think it would be interesting, to base this game, within Newgrounds. Meaning, like a futuristic style RPG, within a computer program. But it's all table-top D&D like. I should work on explaining this...hmm...

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 18:59:35

Well Charisma is the most important thing ever if you intend on making this any more than a deathmatch.

If it's a deathmatch, then I don't know if you should have both character sheets and cards. That could be a little much for the game.

Maybe it'll be more like the World of Warcraft TCG and will have character cards in which you use throughout the whole game, like a mini character sheet.

Look into it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 19:05:10

At 3/22/08 06:59 PM, Samurai wrote: Well Charisma is the most important thing ever if you intend on making this any more than a deathmatch.

Good point, i'll work on that.

Look into it.

Another good point. The base idea i had for the card adaptation, was that each play could hold a deck of maybe, 50 cards. No more, no less. They can collect certain cards, that will benifit their character. But there will be restrictions. Such as, no more than 4 of the same kind of card, or only a certain amount of offensive style cards. I dunno, somthing i thought was interesting.

Anyway, I'll look into making a character sheet. And i'll take a look at the WoW thing.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 19:37:19

Okay, maybe before throwing down some flavour, we should make the system.

I think a 20 sided die is a good die because it gives more room for improvement on how well you can hit or evade, and it's iconic.

So with our stats being Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Health (Constitution?), and probably mana, maybe we should have the sheet something like this..

Mind you, it's an example. A bad one at that.

Newgrounds RPG

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-22 20:33:36

I came up with this. Like it?

Newgrounds RPG

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-24 23:49:00

At 3/22/08 06:56 PM, Elios wrote:
At 3/22/08 06:41 PM, Samurai wrote:
Right on. Here's a few other ideas i had: Users will have their own custom designed character sheets. Like the version 3.5 D&D, but modified for this game. I was working on how to simplify stats last night, and i came up with this. The 5 basic "character statistics" will be
- Strength (self explainitory)
- Agiility
- Health (important for all classes, ability to survive, increase HP)
- Intelligence (important for magic users)
- Wisdom (character's will power, and common sense)
Simple as that. (No charisma. Useless stat)
Anyway, i'm still working on how to put numbers on everything, but it's a good start.

Also, i got some ideas with the magic cards adaptation to the game. Players can equipt their character with a deck of cards. The 4 elements of these cards will be: Offense (melee attacks, magic attacks), Defense (heal HP, protective spells), Summon (summon allies, monsters), Equiptment (apply temporary items on your character for a bonus). With that basic structure, you can create an infinite number of cards.

Final thing. I though about what kind of game style this could be (D&D, based on medieval times, Warhammer, based on the future, etc) I think it would be interesting, to base this game, within Newgrounds. Meaning, like a futuristic style RPG, within a computer program. But it's all table-top D&D like. I should work on explaining this...hmm...

Well if your going to do something like Tron (I'm not sure if u have seen the movie), since it is along similar lines. When it comes to a Newgrounds style RPG I guess u could do magic type abilities, however tech type abilities would probably work just as effectively. U could always do a combo deal considering that the NG community is very diverse in their genres. For example, u mentioned summoning cards, how about using the Newgrounds tank. Just don't call it "Summon NG Tank," call it "Summon Big Boom Tank," with of course the tankmen so that NGers r familiar with your reference. Then maybe something magical like, "Jazza's Judgment" referring to the Paladin's abilities from his flashes. There is so many possibilities when it comes to defense and attack cards; Defense- Tom's Grace, Tankmen Armor, and Mindchamber's Great Escape; Attack- Ramagi's Rage (I think that's how u spell her name), Wade's Banishment, and Afro-Ninja's sneak attack. Of course we need names of Classes and such, try to make the character sheets with NG flare. I'm interested in helping u since I have played both Magic and DnD 3.5, I'm sure I can come up with some more ideas if u want me 2? Let me know :)

The knowledge of power cannot be used wisely without first acquiring the power of knowledge

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-24 23:53:23

At 3/22/08 08:33 PM, DungeonMasterClock wrote: I came up with this. Like it?

That sheet would work rather well, but instead of Good stick with the Light alignment :) We should try keeping the NG voting dispositions, besides the rest is perfect. I'm not sure if he is going to have skills or just use the cards instead. It's up to him :D

The knowledge of power cannot be used wisely without first acquiring the power of knowledge

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-24 23:56:19

At 3/21/08 08:38 PM, weirDfunK wrote: They should totally make NewGroundsopoly

Money = Cool Points?

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:05:44

Im very confused what your trying to make. First off, is this a board game or a card game? Second are you trying to make this like a parody of D&D or are you trying to make this a more complex board game version of Sim Newgrounds v1.2?

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:14:06

At 3/24/08 11:53 PM, spilldog wrote:
At 3/22/08 08:33 PM, DungeonMasterClock wrote: I came up with this. Like it?
That sheet would work rather well, but instead of Good stick with the Light alignment :) We should try keeping the NG voting dispositions, besides the rest is perfect. I'm not sure if he is going to have skills or just use the cards instead. It's up to him :D

I was working on a few things last night. I modified DMclocks awesome character sheet, and came up with this. I also discussed it with a few friends, and we're going to work on this project. A few ideas we pitched around, was the use of D&D miniatures, along with cards. One thing i thought of was, instead of using the classic D&D 20 sided dice in combat, players use their deck of cards, for attacking, blocking, summoning, etc.

For example, player one gets into a fight with "Goblin", he draws 7 cards. These cards, can either, improve the power of his attack, cast a defensive spell, summon "somthing", and so on. The cards apply magical buffs that improve the characters chances. It seems complicated, so i'll work on explaining it. Anyway, instead of using the word "mana" (i dislike that word for some reason) I thought of "memory". Seeing how the game is loosely based on computers and technology, i figured the basic system of computer "mana", would be memory.

Still working on ideas. keep em coming, this is getting interesting.

Newgrounds RPG

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:22:06

At 3/25/08 12:05 AM, zero-gravity wrote: Im very confused what your trying to make. First off, is this a board game or a card game?

It's both. Applying D&D sets and miniatures for the "enviroment effect". Along with the strategic method of using a deck of cards to apply special effects to your character. (or kicking your opponents ass)

Think of: D&D, with Magic. You're using little figures to move around, and cards to make your figure beat shit up. Instead of being limited to "memorized spells" in classic D&D. Characters can choose from lots of cards, to benifit them in different situations. Simple.

Anyway. I figured out what charisma can be used for, check this out
Strength: Increases attack damage.
Agility: Improved armor class, and defense
Health: Increases resistance, (player takes less damage from certain sources)
Intelligence: Increases memory (cast more / powerful spells)
Wisdom: Increases immunity (player is immune to "stuff")
Charisma: Increases players ability to summon creatures.

Something i'm working on.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:27:41

At 3/25/08 12:22 AM, Elios wrote:
At 3/25/08 12:05 AM, zero-gravity wrote: Im very confused what your trying to make. First off, is this a board game or a card game?
It's both. Applying D&D sets and miniatures for the "enviroment effect". Along with the strategic method of using a deck of cards to apply special effects to your character. (or kicking your opponents ass)

Think of: D&D, with Magic. You're using little figures to move around, and cards to make your figure beat shit up. Instead of being limited to "memorized spells" in classic D&D. Characters can choose from lots of cards, to benifit them in different situations. Simple.

Anyway. I figured out what charisma can be used for, check this out
Strength: Increases attack damage.
Health: Increases resistance, (player takes less damage from certain sources)
Intelligence: Increases memory (cast more / powerful spells)
Wisdom: Increases immunity (player is immune to "stuff")
Charisma: Increases players ability to summon creatures.

Something i'm working on.

Hey that works for the charisma part, u can have it affect how long the summoned being will fight 4 u. Also it helps in Diplomacy, which can be useful against hostile natives(or Flash), whatever the case maybe. Also how did u like my previous suggestions, before I complimented DMClock's Character Sheet?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:33:54

call me old fashioned, but doesn't agility usually refer to speed?

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:43:03

At 3/25/08 12:33 AM, zero-gravity wrote:

In DnD 3.0 and 3.5 Speed is movement which weight is factored in. Armor can affect movement

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:50:24

At 3/25/08 12:27 AM, spilldog wrote:
Hey that works for the charisma part, u can have it affect how long the summoned being will fight 4 u. Also it helps in Diplomacy, which can be useful against hostile natives(or Flash), whatever the case maybe. Also how did u like my previous suggestions, before I complimented DMClock's Character Sheet?

Yes, very good suggestions indeed! And i liked the card named you thought of. Speaking of which, here's somthing everyone can help me with. Here's a basic design for the cards. Simple enough: Name it, what card type it is (offensive, defensive, summon, magic attack, spells, etc) What is required for the character to use the card (offense cards require strength, defense cards req intelligence, summon cards req charisma, etc.) How the card affects the character (or opponent)
And finally, i thought this was clever. include level up modifications. When the character reaches a certain level, the cards abilities become stronger, better. I made an example.

:Agility: Improved armor class, and defense
:call me old fashioned, but doesn't agility usually refer to speed?

True, very true. In D&D, the higher your dexterity, the higher your natural armor class is (i just call it agility.) same idea basically. Higher agility, the harder it is to hit somthing.

Newgrounds RPG

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:53:03

Quit shitting us ms paint pictures and go make it in flash.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:55:09

At 3/25/08 12:53 AM, PulpChaos wrote: Quit shitting us ms paint pictures and go make it in flash.

Honestly, i would. But there's one little problem.

I don't have FLASH! All i have is MS, deal with it.

Hell, if you can make a better design, i'll give you all the credit.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:55:09

At 3/21/08 08:20 PM, Elios wrote:

:Anyway, some ideas? Anything and everything you can think of, toss em' to me, and i'll make this "game".

Intending for this to be a board/card game, NOT a flash game.

well add enemy's like Goth's(from Pico), Stinky Beans(from thing-thing Arena and up.) and think of the rest.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 00:56:47

At 3/25/08 12:55 AM, Elios wrote:
At 3/25/08 12:53 AM, PulpChaos wrote: Quit shitting us ms paint pictures and go make it in flash.
Honestly, i would. But there's one little problem.

I don't have FLASH! All i have is MS, deal with it.

Hell, if you can make a better design, i'll give you all the credit

Then buy flash.

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:12:28

I don't think Wisdom is at all a good stat for being immune.

Let me go over the stats.

Physical stats: Strength, Agility, Constitution
Intellectual stats: Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma

Strength- Muscle power
Agility- Speed and overall ninja-ness
Constitution- how well you get sick, how long you last during torture, your overall healthiness
Intelligence- book smarts
wisdom- smart smarts
charisma- intimidation/people skills and or prettiness

Let me tell you the difference between intelligence and wisdom

Intelligence tells you it's raining, wisdom tells you to go inside or you'll catch a cold.

So keep these stats in mind.

I understand what you mean by using a card battle system, but that means you have to make decks for each monster and whatnot. That would be very tedious, and I'm thinking maybe the cards will play a minor part in the fighting.

Maybe once a round you draw a card and take the bonus or penalty to a certain roll? Sort of like chance cards from monopoly. "+3 to hit" "2 attacks" "automatic critical"

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:14:19

At 3/25/08 12:56 AM, PulpChaos wrote: Then buy flash.

*Sigh* if only it were that easy...

Anyway. I thought of somthing else interesting. How to include Blam/Protection points.

Blam points: For every [insert ##] Characters attack and resistance is increased by 1
Protection points: For every [##[ characters Defense and armor class in increased by 1

So basically, the more B/P points you get in the game, the more powerful your character is. So, how do you get these points in the game? i figured, it would be like a kill count score. For every "thing" you kill that was bad, you get a blam point. And "things" that you defend, save, or rescue, you get protection points.

I'm trying to design this game, so everyone can use the the NG profile they have now, and apply it to the character sheets. Still working on what whistles could do...

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:23:11

Oh, and I just had to.

Lol.

Newgrounds RPG

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:24:38

At 3/25/08 12:50 AM, Elios wrote:
At 3/25/08 12:27 AM, spilldog wrote:

Yes, very good suggestions indeed! And i liked the card named you thought of. Speaking of which, here's somthing everyone can help me with. Here's a basic design for the cards. Simple enough: Name it, what card type it is (offensive, defensive, summon, magic attack, spells, etc) What is required for the character to use the card (offense cards require strength, defense cards req intelligence, summon cards req charisma, etc.) How the card affects the character (or opponent)
And finally, i thought this was clever. include level up modifications. When the character reaches a

certain level, the cards abilities become stronger, better. I made an example.

True, very true. In D&D, the higher your dexterity, the higher your natural armor class is (i just call it agility.) same idea basically. Higher agility, the harder it is to hit somthing.

Sorry no Photoshop or Flash at work, so visualize please :)

Card Name: Ramagi's Rage >Insert Ramagi's Image with blood oozing from her mouth and sword
ready to strike<
Card Type: Offensive
Memory Required: 50
Stats Required: Str: 20 + Hlth: 15
Card Effects: Affects the character, throwing them in a raging bloodlust for bad reviewers. This adds an extra D damage to any successful attack
Level Up Effects: Level 10: Damage x2
Level 20: Render, causes tearing of the flesh ; extra D damage
Level 30: Damage x3 w/ render
I like your example at least I had a guideline, so what do u think?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:27:25

At 3/25/08 01:12 AM, Samurai wrote:
Let me tell you the difference between intelligence and wisdom
Intelligence tells you it's raining, wisdom tells you to go inside or you'll catch a cold.

Good points. My new theroy with intelligence and wisdom, were:
Intelligence = more memory, more memory, more spells
Wisdom: I know what my opponent can do, i know it's weakness, and how to defend myself.

I understand what you mean by using a card battle system, but that means you have to make decks for each monster and whatnot.

Somewhat true. When i use to play Magic, i had a what i called "options deck". I bundled certain cards together, that i knew i would need for facing certain people. I had several "bundles" that i mixed with my regular set of cards, so i would have an advantage, rather than playing with the same cards each time. Same goes for this, certain cards will benifit alot in certain situations, others will do nothing. It's a matter of strategy, and knowing what you need, and what you don't. This gives players more freedom of choice. Rather than D&D, when a wizard knows only a few spells, that's all he has. This game, you can choose whatever you need, but you have to be lucky to draw the right cards.

I like the idea of the miniatures, and the cards having equal importance in the game. The models, figures, and characters focus on role-playing, and storytelling. The cards add a new twist to combat.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:32:29

At 3/21/08 08:34 PM, RacistBassist wrote: Can I be the NPC that you bond with but whose weapon malfunctions and I got capped and then someone yells my name?

"Oh hey, Racist. Thanks for the TC 9002!"
"Hey, no probl- ARGH"
HEADSHOT
"RaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacistBaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa assiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist!!!!!

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:34:45

At 3/25/08 01:33 AM, Kerma wrote: Can you make Bedn a boss? and wade should be king. And of course the KK and CC should be bosses too.

KK and CC are obviously dark brotherhoods that the good civilians of Newgrounds will not come in contact with unless they are discussing illegal and evil matters.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:41:45

I thought about that too. In D&D, there are clans and organizations ("The Shadow Theifs of Amn", "The Blood Pirates", "The Red Wizards") In this game, players can group up, to make their own clan. And challenge another group to a PVP fight.

Example: The KittyKrew, challenges the ClockCrew. So, players will set up a battlefield, and each player will take turns doing their actions. Players can position themselves on the map, plan attacks, take the defensive. It's all about straegy.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds RPG 2008-03-25 01:49:55

Aside from the combat, i've also been working on a few storylines for the game. On the D&D website, you can download and print stories that people have written, providing all of the information you need to act out the story. That's another thing all of you can contribute too, writing a NG&D story for us. It can be about you, or other NG users. anything you can think of.

Be sure to include a plot, the final enemy, settings, locations, and other important story elements.

Ex: "Bedn stole mah cadny!"

"A long time ago, a vicious pirate, known only as "Bedn", ravaged the lands of Newgrounds. He attacked innocent users, and stole their cadny. For many moons, his shinanigans brought nothing but pain and sadness to Newgrounds. But now, a hero has risen, and his quest, is to seek Bedn, and return the cadny to the people."

Plot: Find Bedn, defeat his allies, return cadny.
Boss: Bedn.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature