00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac7 - June

81,708 Views | 746 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-15 22:35:04

It may not be a bad idea to say you will ignore all contest submissions until a few weeks before the deadline, and then have everyone list their submissions then. That would make it a lot easier for you to manage a list of entries because you'd only have to shuffle through a few pages of posts instead of the dozens that will inevitably be made.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-15 22:45:56

At 6/15/07 10:35 PM, DavidOrr wrote: ...That would make it a lot easier for you to manage a list of entries because you'd only have to shuffle through a few pages of posts instead of the dozens that will inevitably be made.

Or maybe make a separate thread purely for song submissions, no exceptions.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-16 04:31:04

At 6/14/07 01:25 PM, DanPaladin wrote: i don't want people to get cold feet or freaked out by the orchestral talk. for example, a song tom selected that grabbed a lot of people's attention at IGF had no orchestral in it: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=4 89978&sub=57239

it was received really well, and it fit well with any of the regular levels.

so don't freak out -- you do not have to do orchestra. at least in my book..

Haha, cool, that song kicks ass. I've listened to it quite a few times to figure out the standard you're looking for.
I'm not doing orchestrations for my stuff, because I can't, and because I'd stand out a bit more =D
This comp has me bringing out my best stuff to date. I just posted a second track, but I'll add it here closer to the due date, and also, I think my first submission is just about ready for a resubmit to the AP, however I think I'll delay that for a bit longer.

I'm eager to hear what the rest of you guys are coming up with.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-16 05:06:11

At 6/15/07 07:54 PM, Rucklo wrote:
At 6/15/07 05:37 PM, wolf-tech wrote: A shorter version for the cc contest. I know i don't stand a chance against the rest of you but what the hell.
The important thing is that you will get heard by the Behemoth! If they like it... whoa!... ^^

Ya thats true, But the only thing i'm really looking for is constructive reviews and advice to make my music better in the future.

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 03:11:52

Hehe, just uploaded a third track that I'm thinking of entering to this competition. *sigh* I have too much spare time, but the thing is that I think I'm coming up with my best music to date, so it'd be nice to win (and even maybe have my music on a real X-box 360 game), but I've learned a fair bit of new stuff, and refined my technique so that I don't think all my music is terrible anymore.
Anyways, can I post what I 'might' enter, so that I can get some feedback and/or rework it before I submit the actual song?

Cheers

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 06:38:58

At 6/15/07 10:35 PM, DavidOrr wrote: It may not be a bad idea to say you will ignore all contest submissions until a few weeks before the deadline, and then have everyone list their submissions then. That would make it a lot easier for you to manage a list of entries because you'd only have to shuffle through a few pages of posts instead of the dozens that will inevitably be made.

That would have been a very good idea indeed, idea is being stored in the grey matter of mine!

As it is now, I don't want to mae too many changes of the rules, unless they're abolutley nessecary. I think we should be able to handle the situation, even though it could have been done better from the beginning, especially considering we have 2 months for this show.

At 6/17/07 03:11 AM, WritersBlock wrote:
Anyways, can I post what I 'might' enter, so that I can get some feedback and/or rework it before I submit the actual song?

No, you can not. Same song, but different versions submitted is definitley not allowed.

EVERYBODY READ
- Just because you're allowed to submit as many entries you like in this contest, doesn't mean you have to. If you post more than 4-5 songs, they all better be very well done and thought through, not just some random halfway finnished crap. Things like that might get your entries kicked out of the contest.
We want people to be able to submit many songs though, but put some effort into it, The Behemoth is watching, I mean listening...

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 07:04:42

As it is now, I don't want to mae too many changes of the rules, unless they're abolutley nessecary. I think we should be able to handle the situation, even though it could have been done better from the beginning, especially considering we have 2 months for this show.

At 6/17/07 03:11 AM, WritersBlock wrote:
No, you can not. Same song, but different versions submitted is definitley not allowed.

Sorry, I don't think what I wrote is what I meant. I don't mean links, just the names, so people can go to my audio and go... "hmm, he's thinking of entering this in the contest", and only entering one version of each song to the competition.

So, with that said... I posted golden gates, thinking it was finished, can I resubmit, disregarding the first one (I have made significant changes), on the account that the others are well finished before they're posted? Sorry to cause the trouble, I don't mean to be a nuisance, I guess I was just caught up with the initial excitement of the competition.

Much appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 07:10:38

At 6/14/07 07:06 AM, WritersBlock wrote: I have a demo of FL, so, is that good enough to apply for the contest? I'd really like to enter, but I'm too poor, you see...
Anyways, here's a link to my castle crashers inspired song Golden Gates
I actually spent a fair amount of time getting this just right, but if it doesn't come under your specifications of software, then I'm sorry for wasting your time over it...

Either way, I hope you like it.

Cheers

this post have been deleted, so it shouldn't end up on the final list.

Now, once again, this is nothing I feel like doing every single day, if this continues we WILL set new rules, probably limiting the amount of songs you can submit! So THINK TWICE BEFORE SUBMITTING SONGS TO THE CONTEST!!! IS THE SONG DONE???!!!

Also, no, you can not use this thread as an advertisement for feedback of your W.I.P's, use the audio adv. thread for that, or go selfwhoring your stuff some other way ;)

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 07:15:54

Ok, cheers, I'll stop bugging you about the contest.
Thanks for sorting all that out.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 07:20:53

At 6/17/07 07:15 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Ok, cheers, I'll stop bugging you about the contest.

i dont mean to be an ass, but it's good if people can read through the rules, and concider that we spend alot of spare time doing these shows, so as easy for us as possible = better :) Don't be afraid to post in here, just when it comes to actually submitting, think twice :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 08:09:10

At 6/17/07 07:20 AM, Rucklo wrote:
At 6/17/07 07:15 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Ok, cheers, I'll stop bugging you about the contest.
i dont mean to be an ass, but it's good if people can read through the rules, and concider that we spend alot of spare time doing these shows, so as easy for us as possible = better :) Don't be afraid to post in here, just when it comes to actually submitting, think twice :)

You don't look like an ass, don't worry. It's completely understandable to expect people to spend 2 minutes reading through the rules of a contest you spent hours coordinating.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-17 21:16:17

Lemon-Lime
Well heres my first submission. This loops pretty well. A bit short. Like 40ish seconds. Not quite as dramatic as some of the other music but still I think this fits well with Dans art. It would be good for an outside transition or something of the sorts. I ll hopefully make more adio for this.

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 10:55:49

At 6/17/07 09:16 PM, RobbieSkater wrote: Lemon-Lime
Well heres my first submission. This loops pretty well. A bit short. Like 40ish seconds. Not quite as dramatic as some of the other music but still I think this fits well with Dans art. It would be good for an outside transition or something of the sorts. I ll hopefully make more adio for this.

Woah , no offense but that sounds confusing.

Best band ever, click it.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 17:56:40

Maybe im being a bit too "old skool" but i was doing a "Castlevania" style track... but not in midi though this looks style more of a fun style game... think it'll fit anywhere in game or should i go for more of a happy style???

bad grammar i know :/

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 18:20:15

At 6/18/07 05:56 PM, TjA wrote: Maybe im being a bit too "old skool" but i was doing a "Castlevania" style track... but not in midi though this looks style more of a fun style game... think it'll fit anywhere in game or should i go for more of a happy style???
bad grammar i know :/

when i think CC, i think more exciting, a little fantasy-struck orchestra mixed with various techno, and perhaps songs that are more "landscape" themed, like "forrest" style, desert, ice, and whatever worlds we might come across in the actual game.

That's my opinion of it, and have nothign to do with whatever The Behemoth think of it :)

Anyway, even though I guess they're after good songs in general, how do you guys plan your tunes when making them? I figure there will be alot of sounds going on (hack, slash n scream:) when the game is up and running. I might concider making my mixes a little less busy for that reason. Again, that's just me :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 18:40:03

At 6/18/07 06:20 PM, Rucklo wrote: Anyway, even though I guess they're after good songs in general, how do you guys plan your tunes when making them? I figure there will be alot of sounds going on (hack, slash n scream:) when the game is up and running. I might concider making my mixes a little less busy for that reason. Again, that's just me :)

A good rule of thumb is to try to stay out of the higher frequencies, cause that's where the effects usually go. That "space pirates" song is a good example.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 19:28:24

At 6/18/07 07:15 PM, TjA wrote: Because im tired i clicked 'Post it!' before i put the extended link in :/

Here is extended version...
Extended (better version)

i trust this is the version youre entering the contest with :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 19:36:55

At 6/18/07 07:28 PM, Rucklo wrote: i trust this is the version youre entering the contest with :)

Not at the moment. I dont want to let my self down like i did the last time i posted in the MAC's posting a un-finished, un-finalized piece-o-crap which was ready for blaming. I guess im wiser now realising that 1 good piece of music is better than a thousand crap pieces :)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 19:44:56

At 6/18/07 07:36 PM, TjA wrote:
At 6/18/07 07:28 PM, Rucklo wrote: i trust this is the version youre entering the contest with :)
Not at the moment. I dont want to let my self down like i did the last time i posted in the MAC's posting a un-finished, un-finalized piece-o-crap which was ready for blaming. I guess im wiser now realising that 1 good piece of music is better than a thousand crap pieces :)

*sigh* then don't post links. there are to be NO sneak-previews in this thread. we've had this discussion earlier in the thread. it's appreciated if people try to stay at least a little updated to what's going on in here, especially if intending to join the contest.

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-18 19:51:59

[ Tribal Dance Call ]
[ A Wave of the Future ]

Just 2 submissions I'd thought I enter. First ones a jungley type feel, and the second one is more modern or futuristic (as the titles depict).

The only problem though is that "Tribal Dance Call" doesn't seem to loop properly. I'm not sure why, as the one on my computer loops perfectly. If chosen, it will loop fine :)

Hello, from the past!

[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 05:23:43

I can't wait any longer, I have to post my first official song!
Forgotten Hymn
I am COMPLETELY content with this going into the contest and that's final!
This is quite a slow song, I think it has a nice ambience that would fit in to castle crashers as a bit of a build up for a boss or something.

Cheers!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 13:40:56

At 6/18/07 07:44 PM, Rucklo wrote: *sigh* then don't post links. there are to be NO sneak-previews in this thread. we've had this discussion earlier in the thread. it's appreciated if people try to stay at least a little updated to what's going on in here, especially if intending to join the contest.

opps sorry 'bout that...

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 14:43:40

second submission

Well this is my second. I think im improving. Ill still probably submit more for this contest. I hope you like that kinda "fun" style.

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 15:10:35

At 6/19/07 02:43 PM, RobbieSkater wrote: second submission

Well this is my second. I think im improving. Ill still probably submit more for this contest. I hope you like that kinda "fun" style.

I really don't think that could fit Castle Crashers in any way. For the sake of The Behemoth, try and do a little self-filtering. Compare music typically found in arcade style fighting games with your submission. Chances are yours has very few (if any) applications in Castle Crashers.

I don't mean to put anyone down here, but it is a very good idea to weed out any music that wouldn't fit the game and not submit it. I highly doubt The Behemoth wants to go through a couple hundred submissions if 80% of them aren't even of the right style.

I'd recommend waiting until a few weeks before the end of the contest, and then go through and pick out two or three of your submissions that you feel fit the game the best.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 15:54:55

Well, I probobly don't stand a chance, but I'll give it a go.

Catch The Deerz!

Industial Battletheme

RAWR!!

dude

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 16:07:36

At 6/19/07 03:10 PM, DavidOrr wrote:

I really don't think that could fit Castle Crashers in any way.
Rant

I do. I think its better then this symphany shit everyone else is doing. the game is a 2d side scrooler with a simple hack n slash feel to it. Kind of like dad and me which was also made by Dan. And last time i checked in that game they had simple fun music. So you cant really say what IS and what ISNT castle crashers. Unless its way out of the ball park.

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 16:30:23

At 6/19/07 03:10 PM, DavidOrr wrote:

It's a fun game, it proboby needs FUN music! XD

dude

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 16:34:36

ha yeah. I listened to your songs that you submitted. How long have u been making music?

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 17:31:39

Just to let everyone know, we WILL filter through whatever we (meaning MAC crew essentially) think is CC-sounding or not. Depending on how many songs are submitted to the contest, perhaps 20-30 or so will be on the "decent" list. The rest will be listed (except for the ones who have been kicked out for sucking way too hard), but on a separate list.

Spare yourself the shame of ending up on the second list, and spend some TIME on this. Read through the rules and especially browse through all the links to get in the right mood for producing CC-style music. You'll do everyone a favour by doing this.

Wakka wakka

Response to Mac7 - June 2007-06-19 21:12:43

At 6/19/07 04:07 PM, RobbieSkater wrote:
I do. I think its better then this symphany shit everyone else is doing. the game is a 2d side scrooler with a simple hack n slash feel to it. Kind of like dad and me which was also made by Dan. And last time i checked in that game they had simple fun music. So you cant really say what IS and what ISNT castle crashers. Unless its way out of the ball park.

As Tom put it,

"We want the music to have that epic battle feel to it, but it can also have modern / electronic touches if it all works well with the aesthetic."

I'm not going to argue. If you think that submission has an "epic battle feel" to it, then submit it.

BBS Signature