00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PsyKing77 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,836,903 Views | 59,825 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-19 22:52:36

At 2/19/15 03:11 AM, Cordyceps wrote: Do you guys like slice of life anime where nothing really happens?

I like them a lot compared to story driven anime because the story always feels really contrived.

They're OK when they don't use the exact same tropes and plot devices of literally every show in the genre

"We have to choose a theme for the spring festival!"

NO WE DON'T

LET'S DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR ONCE

Also it's hard to invest in a plot where nothing is at stake and nothing really matters

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-20 11:06:35

At 2/15/15 11:28 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 2/15/15 10:19 PM, sweet21 wrote: Noragami is pretty cool. *leaves*
Why do you like Noragami? Since they left, now we will never know.

Because Yato has beautiful eyes

Where the Fun & Friendship is spread like a deadly virus-- USBclip!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-20 17:37:09

At 2/19/15 03:11 AM, Cordyceps wrote: Do you guys like slice of life anime where nothing really happens?

No, I enjoy when there is a major plot and action occurs.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-21 00:17:42

At 2/20/15 11:06 AM, USBclip wrote:
At 2/15/15 11:28 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 2/15/15 10:19 PM, sweet21 wrote: Noragami is pretty cool. *leaves*
Why do you like Noragami? Since they left, now we will never know.
Because Yato has beautiful eyes

He needs his own shrine so I can look at his eyes more intensely and he cant look away.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-21 00:21:02

Slice of life tends to be more comedic. I like my action, but I also like to laugh too, so I tend to watch slice of life as a result. I have a somewhat loose definition of slice of life. Im not entirely sure how far something can go before it isn't considered slice of life anymore. Would squidgirl be considered slice of life? What about ben-to? I know lucky star and the two I mentioned in the above post are (or might be).

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-21 03:41:02

What would you guys recommend to someone who's never watched an anime before?

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-21 13:07:25

At 2/21/15 03:41 AM, NewgroundsNation wrote: What would you guys recommend to someone who's never watched an anime before?

akagi, kaiji, neon genesis evangelion, baccano, haruhi suzumiya

a little bit of everything the medium offers, pretty entry level stuff.

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-21 16:15:38

At 2/21/15 03:41 AM, NewgroundsNation wrote: What would you guys recommend to someone who's never watched an anime before?

Neon Genesis Evangelion + The End of Evangelion is the best thing anyone has ever watched
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Angel Beats
Death Note is probably one of the best gateway anime series
FLCL
Steins Gate

Movies:
Satoshi Kon's films (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika)
Ghost in the Shell
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Pretty much everything by Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki
Angel's Egg

At 2/21/15 02:50 PM, Vinnyy wrote: Mirai Nikki
Elfen Lied

no

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-21 23:36:36

Toonami has gone from 11:30-6 to 12-3. Do you think this marks the end, or will it return better than ever?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-22 16:01:11

I'm starting to like ecchi anime. The ones that I've seen are: Sekirei, High School DxD and part of High School of the Dead. I wonder if there are any other ecchi animes that are good.

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-22 23:13:54

At 2/22/15 08:16 PM, Vinnyy wrote:
At 2/22/15 04:01 PM, supra187 wrote: I'm starting to like ecchi anime. The ones that I've seen are: Sekirei, High School DxD and part of High School of the Dead. I wonder if there are any other ecchi animes that are good.
I've watched a ton of ecchi/harem anime:

High School DxD
High School of the Dead
Freezing
Queen's Blade
To Love-ru
Rosario + Vampire
Infinite Stratos
Strike the Blood
Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls
Date A Live

Feel free to check out any of these if you haven't already done so, but I will tell you that you might not find a lot of these to be "good".

Here's my list of Ecchi + Romance anime that weren't included in Vinny's list (They're all pretty good and someeee of them are weird)

Trinity Seven
No Game No Life (kinda Harem)
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Hagure Yeesha No Estetica
Seikon no Qwaser (If you really like Ecchi that much then...)
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
Maken-Ki!
Ben-To!
Hidan no Aria
11 Eyes

That's pretty much it but yah. :P Good luck picking on what to watch first.

Anime Club

RAVENSKYWING ~ THE POTATO BIDS YOU HUMANS A GOOD DAY.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-22 23:53:36

At 2/22/15 04:01 PM, supra187 wrote: I'm starting to like ecchi anime. The ones that I've seen are: Sekirei, High School DxD and part of High School of the Dead. I wonder if there are any other ecchi animes that are good.

The one thing that I don't get about this genre is all of the hate that it gets and the accusations that they are "ruining" anime. Granted not a lot of them are special or anything like that, but there is no harm in watching buxom/lolicon/crossdressing girls showing skin now and again. Not to mention that they're more or less following Go Nagai's footsteps anyway, and he's a legend for extreme content {and Mazinger Z}

High School DxD easily is my favorite of the bunch, as it actually has a MC who enjoys being in a harem with women {and Kiba} that don't view him as a piece of meat, mostly at least, and it's actually refreshing to see everyone in the story approve of Issei's perverted behavior.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-23 14:23:08

At 2/21/15 11:36 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Toonami has gone from 11:30-6 to 12-3. Do you think this marks the end, or will it return better than ever?

I think it shows they favor quality over quantity. Toonami trimmed their line-up of shows that have had full runs recently and were airing repeats. I'd like to see Toonami expand again, but only if they can acquire enough series to sustain such growth.

It seems Toonami will soon air Sword Art Online II, most likely as a replacement for Gurren Lagaan, which wraps up in a few weeks.

Jack of all trades, Master of none

Head Scientist of NG Mafia

& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-23 14:42:27

Just a fast question: What is the difference between anime and manga?

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-23 15:09:04 (edited 2015-02-23 15:15:12)

At 2/23/15 02:42 PM, JosefEliasson wrote: Just a fast question: What is the difference between anime and manga?

Manga are the equivalent of western comics but usually only printed in black and white, anime are animated cartoons.

Edited to make the sentence look less weird. I think I failed.

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-23 15:15:14

At 2/23/15 03:09 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/23/15 02:42 PM, JosefEliasson wrote: Just a fast question: What is the difference between anime and manga?
Manga are printed comics, anime are animated cartoons.

Shouldn't this be a common knowledge by now?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-23 23:07:39

At 2/21/15 11:36 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Toonami has gone from 11:30-6 to 12-3. Do you think this marks the end, or will it return better than ever?

I don't think it would be the end as much as it's a restructuring. Considering that the 11:30 to 6am model was largely unwieldy considering that they had Batman, Samurai Jack and repeats of Cowboy Bebop and Bleach, they were basically trimming off the proverbial fat that most people weren't going to watch again.

It's not the Midnight Run from way back when, but you kind of have to take what you could get with anime on TV. (Now if we can only get Syfy to bring back their anime block again, but I'm not going to hold out for that)

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-23 23:23:36

It has been a while since i tried any new anime... Whats good right now?

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-24 08:49:17

At 2/23/15 03:09 PM, Jackho wrote:
Manga are the equivalent of western comics but usually only printed in black and white, anime are animated cartoons.

Edited to make the sentence look less weird. I think I failed.

Thank you for the answer. It was first clear, but then got very unclear. It became unclear because:

On the internet everyone use the word anime. Even for comics. It is different what I hear people say. I think I have never heard the word anime. People use the word manga when talking instead. To movies too.

So if what you wrote is true, then the knowledge about the difference between manga and anime is not common at all.

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-24 12:37:37

At 2/23/15 11:07 PM, orangebomb wrote:
It's not the Midnight Run from way back when, but you kind of have to take what you could get with anime on TV. (Now if we can only get Syfy to bring back their anime block again, but I'm not going to hold out for that)

Ah, yes. I remember Ani-Monday. I should have known it was a bad sign when SyFy shifted that program block to Tuesdays after just one year.

I also have fond memories of International Channel, which became AZN Television. It's the only channel I know that ran subbed anime, and I believe I saw Dragon Ball GT in Japanese unsubbed.

Then there's the Anime Network, which used to run 24/7 on certain cable providers, but stopped just as I switched my cable to a company that had the channel.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-24 14:53:50

At 2/24/15 12:37 PM, MrTrivia wrote: Ah, yes. I remember Ani-Monday. I should have known it was a bad sign when SyFy shifted that program block to Tuesdays after just one year.

IIRC, the last major series that they aired before they ended up resorting to motion comics was Monster, and then it soon moved to Thursday nights, which was the final nail in that coffin. As I said before, I can't imagine that they'll revive that block again, but stranger things have happened.

Then there's the Anime Network, which used to run 24/7 on certain cable providers, but stopped just as I switched my cable to a company that had the channel.

Honestly, I didn't think that was still around today. Out of curiousity, which cable providers have the Anime Network now?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-24 18:24:36

At 2/23/15 11:23 PM, Doogey wrote: It has been a while since i tried any new anime... Whats good right now?

Absolute Duo, Tokyo Ghoul √A (Season 2), Isuca, Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend, and Aldnoah.Zero (Season 2) are 2015 anime series I've been watching so far. They're pretty good. ^-^

RAVENSKYWING ~ THE POTATO BIDS YOU HUMANS A GOOD DAY.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-24 23:31:37

At 2/23/15 02:23 PM, MrTrivia wrote

I think it shows they favor quality over quantity. Toonami trimmed their line-up of shows that have had full runs recently and were airing repeats.
It seems Toonami will soon air Sword Art Online II, most likely as a replacement for Gurren Lagaan, which wraps up in a few weeks.

Will be nice to see if SAO 2 will be the same or better than the original.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-26 08:05:50

I started watching Watamote and it might be the funniest TV show I've ever seen.

Getting real Peep Show vibes from it.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-26 08:38:55

How about me?

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-26 13:29:54

At 2/24/15 02:53 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 2/24/15 12:37 PM, MrTrivia wrote:
Honestly, I didn't think that was still around today. Out of curiousity, which cable providers have the Anime Network now?

Here is a list of VOD providers. It can also be watched online at http://www.theanimenetwork.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-26 21:08:13

At 2/26/15 08:38 AM, DCMegaFan wrote: How about me?

What about you? Did you delete what you were going to say?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-26 23:04:39

Did I miss something? What about you?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-27 07:06:03

At 2/26/15 11:04 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:

Oh, goodness, I was just wondering if I would be able to join. May I?

Response to Anime Club 2015-02-27 10:45:33

At 2/27/15 07:06 AM, DCMegaFan wrote:
At 2/26/15 11:04 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
Oh, goodness, I was just wondering if I would be able to join. May I?

Feel free but this club doesn't do that anymore.

We're treating this a discussion thread so you can come and go if you want as long you have something related to contribute. I mean I never joined in the first place, just that I would pop in once in a while to have a discussion in this thread when it comes to what we have been watching.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature