00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

rydnrofl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,818,512 Views | 59,822 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-24 20:07:45

At 7/24/13 06:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know how it ended. I was just getting a feeling that it could happen, with Amon going around taking the bending power away from people. And with the modern age arriving and things changing, I thought it could go with that theme.

*SPOILERS

Amon and his brother blew themselves up on a boat and Aang gave Korra back her powers in the form of a vision.
Doesn't feel like there's alot you can work with from there. Unless it's like DBZ and we find out the world/universe has no shortage of super powered assholes.
"And so peace returned...for now." Kind of thing :\

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-24 21:28:22

SPOILERS

Wait, so is Korra the only bender left?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 01:17:03

At 7/24/13 09:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: SPOILERS

Why don't you watch the show and find out?

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 01:20:15

At 7/25/13 01:17 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 7/24/13 09:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: SPOILERS

Why don't you watch the show and find out?

I have been. I just want to know.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 19:02:55

Well, thats it, I lost, game over man, I am done with FF5. The interest just isn't there anymore. I don't care, there is nothing that motivates me to move on any further. The game ended like 3 times, and it should have ended the third time.

I am in the "wind temple" I guess, and I found a boss where there is 4 of him, but I can only hurt one of him, and he switches every turn so it's impossible to find him, and he attacks 4 times in a row and his attack is ALWAYS blaze, which is an all hit attack. I can use all hit attacks, but they fail to do a decent amount of damage to take him down permanently.

So here's my verdict of FF5:
Job system: Fucking genius!

Story: The writers didn't give a fuck and looked up every cliche in a book of cliches and said "yes" to all of them. The characters are bland, one sided and uninteresting.

Music: Uematsu was probably exhausted from working on 4 when they dropped this game on his lap. Nothing gets stuck in my head, nothing is catchy, it's just music. It gets the job done, but jeez is it boring.

When exploring dungeons there are only 2-3 pairs of enemies at a time. For example, this...fucking cave, it doesn't have a name, when you encounter enemies it is ALWAYS either 1 skull muncher, if not that 3 nut crunchers, or 4 bats. There is no mix up, there is no variation, always those groups, and always specifically those enemies, the repetition is so anal that dungeon exploring becomes a chore.

Rewards are few and far between and they all shit rewards. Leveling up takes tons of XP, leveling up your job, takes even more. You can grind and grind but you make progress unless you do it for over an hour. Im at god knows where, the game probably pulls 3 more fake endings out of its ass but im level 37. I have played for, on record 23 hours. In the same amount of time I reached level 60 something in every other FF. Weapons? You dont find those things in chests or anything, or even in the end of dungeons. Just in towns.

Lastly, lack of communication or understanding. If you buy a new weapons you have no idea how much it will raise your stats, you have to actually buy it first. Same with armor. Next, when you buy or use spells, you have no idea what they do. You just don't know a damn thing. It's aggravating.

6/10.
Job system can't save this game.

I started FF4 to get this bad taste out of my mouth. Fun fact: It's infinitely better already. Hawly sheit that overworld theme and story.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 19:07:23

At 7/25/13 01:20 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I have been. I just want to know.

No, everyone can still bend, just Amon and his brother are dead.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 21:09:20

At 7/25/13 07:02 PM, sweet21 wrote: Music: Uematsu was probably exhausted from working on 4 when they dropped this game on his lap. Nothing gets stuck in my head, nothing is catchy, it's just music. It gets the job done, but jeez is it boring.

You clearly have not fought Gilgamesh then. When, and obviously if, you recover the patience and will to play this game again (which I liked, by the way), make SURE to play until you fight that guy for a second time. He and his battle theme are the most memorable and awesome thing about FFV besides the job system.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 22:24:10

At 7/25/13 09:09 PM, PWJP wrote: You clearly have not fought Gilgamesh then.

I beat Gilgamesh, his theme was the only memorable theme.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-25 22:36:49

Anyone here watch Pacific Rim? Shit's fucking great.

I loved the drift sequence with Mako and Raleigh, and Gipsy Danger's first sortie/battle.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-26 08:50:56

At 7/25/13 10:36 PM, towelie101 wrote: Anyone here watch Pacific Rim? Shit's fucking great.

I loved the drift sequence with Mako and Raleigh, and Gipsy Danger's first sortie/battle.

My only problems with Pacific Rim were

-The first half drags out too long. It focuses on the boring one dimentional characters who are just straight up nationality stereotypes anyway.

-The fight scenes are quite samey. They could've shown us each jaeger's individual fighting styles, like they tell us Cherno is one of the strongest ever built and has been in combat for 7 years, but it gets destroyed before we see it do anything. They also tell us Striker is the fastest but it really doesn't behave any differently than Gipsy.

-The best fight is in hong kong and the rest are in the ocean, in the pouring rain and with the jaegers half covered so we don't get a clear view. It's still clearer than transformers or whatever but it felt like they were trying to cheaply cover up the CG.

If they cut out half of the character interactions and used that time for another fight scene, on land, with only Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, then it would be perfect for what it was trying to be. Still the best american mecha/kaiju movie.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-26 09:49:24

At 7/26/13 08:50 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/25/13 10:36 PM, towelie101 wrote: Anyone here watch Pacific Rim? Shit's fucking great.

My only problems with Pacific Rim were

-The first half drags out too long. It focuses on the boring one dimentional characters who are just straight up nationality stereotypes anyway.

Although the other Jaeger pilots weren't developed at all, I still enjoyed the first half a lot. It's ridiculous how the Chinese guys show up playing basketball, and then they're dead shortly after.

-The fight scenes are quite samey.

SWORDS everywhere. I liked the improvisation with the ship, but it needed more moments like that. The SWORD just pops out of nowhere with no preface of its existence and rapes shit.

They could've shown us each jaeger's individual fighting styles...

I couldn't agree more with you there.

-The best fight is in hong kong and the rest are in the ocean, in the pouring rain and with the jaegers half covered so we don't get a clear view. It's still clearer than transformers or whatever but it felt like they were trying to cheaply cover up the CG.

Hong Kong is really the peak of the film, but, yeah, we never see them fight in the daytime. It's clear that the Kaiju will attack then because of the drift and Sydney sequences.

If they cut out half of the character interactions and used that time for another fight scene, on land, with only Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, then it would be perfect for what it was trying to be.

That's basically what I wanted. Cherno just walks for a little before it's destroyed while Typhoon fights with it for like a minute. The Kaiju evolve along with the Jaegers so it could be that they knew of all their tactics before they fought. Or maybe they've never fought against a Category 4 one? I doubt the latter's true, though.

Still the best american mecha/kaiju movie.

Not hard when all you're competing against is shit like Transformers and Godzilla '98.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-26 17:24:47

What's everybody watching this season?

I am watching Gatchaman, Monogatari Second Season, Milky Holmes and Kiniro Mosaic?

Anything on next season anyone is looking forward to?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-26 18:59:55

I rented the live action Gantz movie. I'll watch it later.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-26 22:55:12

At 7/26/13 05:24 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: What's everybody watching this season?

I am watching Gatchaman, Monogatari Second Season, Milky Holmes and Kiniro Mosaic?

Anything on next season anyone is looking forward to?

I'm watching Watamote, Kami Nomi season 3, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Blood Lad and DxD New, and was watching Danganronpa until I played the game and realized it's miles ahead of the anime.
No idea what's going to air in the next season though.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-27 00:39:19

I just watched the Gantz movie. I haven't read the manga, but a lot of things happened very differently than it did in the anime. Still, it was pretty cool, and they didn't make Kurono fucking annoying like he was in the anime. He was kinda sorta likable in the movie, which he definitely wasn't in the anime. I look forward to watching the second movie. I was kinda surprised by the effects since I had zero expectations.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-27 02:30:44

At 7/27/13 12:39 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I just watched the Gantz movie. I haven't read the manga

The manga is pretty good, I actually think it's really great at it's best but it doesn't end on the best note. I actually think I might read through it again now that it's recently finished it's run.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-27 14:32:57

At 7/27/13 12:39 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I just watched the Gantz movie. I haven't read the manga, but a lot of things happened very differently than it did in the anime. Still, it was pretty cool, and they didn't make Kurono fucking annoying like he was in the anime. He was kinda sorta likable in the movie, which he definitely wasn't in the anime. I look forward to watching the second movie. I was kinda surprised by the effects since I had zero expectations.

The manga is excellent. The battles are insanely over the top and gory, but it maintains a level of tension because the enemies are always so overpowered. Kurono starts off as a selfish dick but he develops into a caring leader throughout the story.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-27 17:40:23

I had heard good things about the Gantz manga. So, it finally ended? Since I almost never read manga, can someone tell me what happened at the end? Spoiler warnings, of course.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-27 22:36:02

At 7/27/13 05:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I had heard good things about the Gantz manga. So, it finally ended? Since I almost never read manga, can someone tell me what happened at the end? Spoiler warnings, of course.

SPOILERS

Earth gets invaded by this species of giant humanoid and all the Gantz devices of the world transport the 'fighters' or whatever you want to call them onto their mothership. Shit gets pretty real but eventually the entire species is actually wiped out and the last one plans to crash the ship into earth and kill everyone unless Kei fights him. I think it was because the last guy was a warrior and he heard Kei was the best or something but yeah Kei kills him and saves the world and everything ends nicely for everyone for once.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-28 17:33:44

At 7/27/13 10:36 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

What about Katou, Kishimoto, Sakuraoka, Nishi, Katou's brother, and Tae Kojima? What happens with them?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-28 19:17:34

At 7/28/13 05:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
What about Katou, Kishimoto, Sakuraoka, Nishi, Katou's brother, and Tae Kojima? What happens with them?

I don't really remember anyone's name anymore but the majority of the group actually lives to see the end like the buff dude and the old guy

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-28 19:54:56

At 7/28/13 07:17 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
I don't really remember anyone's name anymore but the majority of the group actually lives to see the end like the buff dude and the old guy

Kei's childhood friend, Kei's girlfriend, the girl who is also named Kei and loves Kei's friend, Kei's friend's little brother, and the other girl who is killed when they fight the living statues.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-28 20:20:41

At 7/28/13 07:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/28/13 07:17 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Kei's childhood friend, Kei's girlfriend, the girl who is also named Kei and loves Kei's friend, Kei's friend's little brother, and the other girl who is killed when they fight the living statues.

The girl Kei died a while back, she came back I guess or someone looked like her but she isn't relevant at all by the end of the story. Katou lives, Nishi dies, Sakuraoka is never even really mentioned after she dies in the beginning, I guess Katou's brother lives I don't even know if he's a major character at any point. Tae and Kei live happily ever after. If you want to know anything else you'll have to read the manga because I don't feel like giving a synopsis.

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-28 22:26:14

lol okay thanks. Yeah, I knew about the deaths. I had just wondered if they were brought back with points. I figured Katou and Kishimoto would, but was curious as to whether or not Kurono would bring back Nishi. It seemed to me that he felt bad about him dying. I figure Nishi was so ruthless because he probably lost a loved one to Gantz and was determined to bring them back. Just a hunch.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-29 02:34:47

lol

Anime Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-31 17:27:11

At 7/29/13 02:34 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol

Is that a reference to something im not aware of?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-31 17:30:23

Fuggit, I want more Persona 4 so I started the new game plus last week. Boy, its good to finally focus on just social links now. I have developed a link with every possible character already, now comes building them. Adachi being my top priority.
I also reversed the clubs I joined this time.
Im in band and have become intimate with Ayane.
I am in soccer with Daisuke.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-31 18:31:39

At 7/31/13 05:27 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 7/29/13 02:34 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol
Is that a reference to something im not aware of?

He quoted the opening monologue from the Berserk anime.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-31 21:21:40

At 7/31/13 06:31 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: He quoted the opening monologue from the Berserk anime.

I've heard of Berserk before. I don't think I want to watch it.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-07-31 23:08:11

At 7/31/13 09:21 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 7/31/13 06:31 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: He quoted the opening monologue from the Berserk anime.
I've heard of Berserk before. I don't think I want to watch it.

Dude, Berserk was an awesome anime. The only problem is that it didn't have an ending. The manga is freaking sick. I just wish Miura would conclude the damn thing.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature