00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,813,533 Views | 59,822 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-16 15:57:26

finished lupin 3 - tale of mine fujiko, really enjoyed it. a quality anime. Absolutely gorgeous art throughout.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-16 21:39:06

For those looking for a good anime,i sugest gintama,bakuman,d.gray man,or else,for "spice" fans,there is always sono hanabira,pick your shot...

Anime Club

"Drawing manga is so FUN!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-21 12:55:10

Welp, can't think of a better place to ask this, so:

I just finished watching Clannad, after seeing various random sources saying it's the best anime ever. Personally, I don't see what everyone was going on about; to me it just looks like K-ON* with overblown amounts of emo and deliberately shameless attempts to make people cry. Which, by the time the really bad shit started happening, had well and truly lost their effect. I kid you not, I never saw the second one coming until about 2 minutes before it happened, and my first reaction was: "This caliber of tear-jerking didn't work 20 episodes ago. Stop trying to milk it already".

Anyway, back to the actual question here:
Can someone explain what the hell the last few episodes were about? First they're dead, then they aren't and it was... what, all a dream? An alternate world? A preclusion? How does that "other world" explain the apparent ability to re-write 5 years of history in what, as far as I can see, is supposed to be a relatively realistic anime setting? Most of the animes that have time travel or alternate realities in them are deliberately futuristic / fantastical, which this one doesn't fit into at all.

Were the writers just pulling a Dallas on us, or does this crap actually fit together somehow? I can't shake the feeling that, in the original visual novel Clannad was based on, the After Story part could go either way with regards to their fates, and the anime writers couldn't decide which one to use in the series, so they invented a completely nebulous plot device (read: the other world) to use as a way of having both endings in the series. Of course, if anyone knows or has seen said visual novel all the way through, please feel free to clarify this, as I'm having no luck at all tracking down the details of that particular part of it.

Any takers?

*I am well aware that K-ON came out after Clannad. I watched the former first, so in my case Clannad reminded me of K-ON, not the other way around.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-22 06:43:52

At 7/21/12 12:55 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Welp, can't think of a better place to ask this, so:

M'kay go ahead.

Anyway, back to the actual question here:
Can someone explain what the hell the last few episodes were about? First they're dead, then they aren't and it was... what, all a dream? An alternate world? A preclusion? How does that "other world" explain the apparent ability to re-write 5 years of history in what, as far as I can see, is supposed to be a relatively realistic anime setting? Most of the animes that have time travel or alternate realities in them are deliberately futuristic / fantastical, which this one doesn't fit into at all.

Apparently each route in the game after finishing it gives you a fragment of light. Once you collect all the lights(One for each heroine) The Afterstory comes in. The lights are suppose to be relevant to the story. Like "Oh since you gave happiness to each route you get to have a wish"
Basically, It's an alternative world since Tomoya got a wish which he made.

Were the writers just pulling a Dallas on us, or does this crap actually fit together somehow? I can't shake the feeling that, in the original visual novel Clannad was based on, the After Story part could go either way with regards to their fates, and the anime writers couldn't decide which one to use in the series, so they invented a completely nebulous plot device (read: the other world) to use as a way of having both endings in the series. Of course, if anyone knows or has seen said visual novel all the way through, please feel free to clarify this, as I'm having no luck at all tracking down the details of that particular part of it.

Sadly, I can't remember much. Watched and played it a couple years ago....along with Fate/Stay Night(amazing game by the way)
I do Remember the Tea girl you have tea with in the small library room( She had long brown hair) talked about a myth the town has. Mentioning the lights are a happy end and it being a good thing whatnot.

Any takers?

Attempted

*I am well aware that K-ON came out after Clannad. I watched the former first, so in my case Clannad reminded me of K-ON, not the other way around.

Currently reading K-ON but never watched it....how is the anime?

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 15:07:08

Well well, just found this, I barely watch anime, I've only watched a few, currently watching some, but I read a lot of manga, well depending on standards.

Can I join?

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 15:23:52

At 7/22/12 06:43 AM, RandomRoarness wrote: Attempted

Various other comments I've since found regarding the ending say similar stuff, so meh; close enough.

Ehh... If you like ditz humour, it's hilarious. If you want any kind of character progression or story outside of "watch some girls go through school", then steer clear. The stupid antics are really the only thing it does well.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 18:51:46

At 7/23/12 03:07 PM, Kingda22 wrote: Can I join?

Sure.

Post your favorites, etc.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 19:33:06

At 7/23/12 06:51 PM, towelie101 wrote:
At 7/23/12 03:07 PM, Kingda22 wrote: Can I join?
Sure.

Post your favorites, etc.

Thanks!

Well, favorites are:

Akame ga Kill
Eyeshield 21
Soul Eater
World Embryo
Zatch Bell

I do read the most "popular" ones (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.), favorite genre... nothing in special. Currently reading Pokemon Adventures, and Code Geass - Nighmare of Nunally, and the next one I'll read is probably Ao no Exorcist.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 20:53:09

well i just found this i dont really know how the club thing works but ive just started watching not that long ago and ive gotten into it and i would like to kno what other people like so i kno what i should watch next.

So i should ask can i join?

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 21:15:14

At 7/23/12 08:53 PM, skaterdan973 wrote: So i should ask can i join?

Yeah.

At 7/23/12 07:33 PM, Kingda22 wrote: Akame ga Kill
World Embryo

Never heard of these two manga. What are they about?

I do read the most "popular" ones (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.), favorite genre... nothing in special. Currently reading Pokemon Adventures, and Code Geass - Nighmare of Nunally, and the next one I'll read is probably Ao no Exorcist.

I tend to watch/read whatever, really. I mostly read finished manga series (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Linebarrels of Iron are exceptions), and for anime, I'll watch either finished or ongoing.

My backlog is the backlog of champions, btw. I don't know if I'll ever get through it.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-23 22:49:39

At 7/23/12 09:15 PM, towelie101 wrote:
Never heard of these two manga. What are they about?

Akame ga Kill is about a group of assassins who carry out jobs like killing or being bodyguards against the Capital which is corrupted, it's a rough definition, it has a plot.

World Embryo is a little more difficult to explain, it's about a guy who gets a message from his dead sister, there he finds a childhood friend and his partner, then the cellphones of three guys get a call at the same time and when they answer it they turn into monsters, the childhood friend and his partner have a special power to fight against those monsters, like a normal person, the main character runs as soon as he sees the monsters, when he reaches a dead end he finds a cocoon, and a little girl comes out from it who looks just like the main character's dead sister. As you go on reading the questions start getting answers, like: what that cocoon was, where the power to fight against the monsters and the monsters themselves come from. It's really good.

I tend to watch/read whatever, really. I mostly read finished manga series (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Linebarrels of Iron are exceptions), and for anime, I'll watch either finished or ongoing.

My backlog is the backlog of champions, btw. I don't know if I'll ever get through it.

I also like reading finished manga, same for anime but I find it equally fun to read/watch ongoing series.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-24 00:38:04

At 7/23/12 03:23 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 7/22/12 06:43 AM, RandomRoarness wrote:
Ehh... If you like ditz humour, it's hilarious. If you want any kind of character progression or story outside of "watch some girls go through school", then steer clear. The stupid antics are really the only thing it does well.

Kind of reminds me of how Nichijou is.
expect me to report back in a couple days regarding the anime, K-ON then :]

Sidenote: 17 Sai is a nice manga, if only the chapter releases weren't so slow but whatever
Sidenote2:.....

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-26 01:05:22

For those of you who have ever watched Death Note, it kinda doesnt make sense. Because Riuuk said, that any human who writes in the deathnote can go to neither heaven or hell. Wouldn't that mean they would go to limbo, or better yet the shimigami realm and become one of them? Since if you pay attention, they say that they evolved to where their internal functions wasted away into dust. So surely they were alive at some point, for instance the people's spiritual form morphed and twisted horribly like the landscape did.

Anyone have any input on this, or a explanation of how the shimigami were created?

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-26 12:54:13

At 7/12/12 08:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/10/12 03:54 PM, JaY11 wrote: I also watched the movie Redline last night. It was fucking badass.
I love that movie. Have you seen Trava? It's not that good, but it's interesting, and lets you get to know two of the more minor characters that were in Redline.

I haven't, but it's apparently really short so I might give it a watch.

gonna drop Soul Eater at episode 28 (might pick it up again later), it started out great but it's got a bit boring to me now. I think i'll give Lupin III season 1 a go instead.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-27 05:22:50

Been watching Mobile Suit Gundam.
I love anime or even normal cartoons from the 70's and 80's.
AND HOW 'BOUT THAT OPENING THEME, HUH?
GUNDAMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qq-N4R-SB4

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-27 06:50:42

At 7/22/12 06:43 AM, RandomRoarness wrote: Currently reading K-ON but never watched it....how is the anime?

Its really good.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-27 12:15:35

At 7/26/12 12:54 PM, JaY11 wrote: gonna drop Soul Eater at episode 28 (might pick it up again later), it started out great but it's got a bit boring to me now. I think i'll give Lupin III season 1 a go instead.

I prefer the second series. I love the dub.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-27 14:59:09

At 7/27/12 06:50 AM, BumFodder wrote:
At 7/22/12 06:43 AM, RandomRoarness wrote: Currently reading K-ON but never watched it....how is the anime?
Its really good.

The manga is like, equally as good as the series. I think, anyway.
But I was TOTALLY disappointed in the movie, I guess I'd just set my expectancy so high, waiting about a year for it to come out. I watched the CoalGuys release in 1080p, and the music was pretty good.

Right now I'm watching
Aio Hana
Dragon Ball
Hyakko
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Mobile Suit Gundam
the iDOLM@STER

They're all doing good at keeping my attention.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-29 12:49:58

At 7/15/12 05:03 PM, RandomRoarness wrote:
At 7/15/12 03:07 PM, Jackho wrote: So I decided to try Elfen Lied again after being turned off by the first episode. Fucking hell this is awful, why on earth is it so popular?
The story and such?
Try the manga, you might enjoy that more than the anime itself.

The story isn't too bad but the animation ruins it. The violence and especially the amputations just look so retarded and they try far too hard to be depressing, to the point where it's actually hilarious at times. Easily the worst show I've sat through.

But whatever, watching Cowboy Bebop (don't know why I haven't already) and Durarara now.

Response to Anime Club 2012-07-29 12:55:52

At 7/26/12 01:05 AM, zmatt007 wrote: For those of you who have ever watched Death Note, it kinda doesnt make sense. Because Riuuk said, that any human who writes in the deathnote can go to neither heaven or hell. Wouldn't that mean they would go to limbo, or better yet the shimigami realm and become one of them? Since if you pay attention, they say that they evolved to where their internal functions wasted away into dust. So surely they were alive at some point, for instance the people's spiritual form morphed and twisted horribly like the landscape did.

Didn't they say at some point that there was no afterlife anyway and Ryuk was just fucking with Light there? That's why the shinigami are so afraid of death and put up with eternity of boredom instead.

Keep in mind that the Shinigami aren't naturally immortal, they have to use the death note to extend their lives so that explains the organs wasting away. I assume the shinigami king is responsible for their creation, perhaps indirectly.

It doesn't really matter anyway, it's intentionally left unexplained just to keep a sense of mystery around the gods.

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-01 02:08:37

Anybody still keeping up with Bleach? I haven't watched the anime in ages and I just found out they ended it without the actual final arc. I think the final arc is pretty good, with a good start up.

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-01 02:23:04

At 8/1/12 02:08 AM, Lochifess wrote: Anybody still keeping up with Bleach? I haven't watched the anime in ages and I just found out they ended it without the actual final arc. I think the final arc is pretty good, with a good start up.
Bleach
ever ending

Yo bro I think something's wrong he-

anime

Oh okay, that's more believable but I doubt it'll ever end. But nope, I've never even watched a full episode of the anime before. I've read a few chapters but they never kept my attention.

Also, LoGH's third season starts off great.. Earth's history was interesting to hear -- it looks like LoGH's world still had the Cold War going on before the Galactic Empire and all occurred.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-01 17:27:05

At 8/1/12 02:23 AM, towelie101 wrote: Also, LoGH's third season starts off great.. Earth's history was interesting to hear -- it looks like LoGH's world still had the Cold War going on before the Galactic Empire and all occurred.

That's not surprising, the original was written in 1982 at the height of the cold war. It played a massive influence in the shaping of the characters and stuff .

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-02 14:01:29

At 8/1/12 05:27 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
That's not surprising, the original was written in 1982 at the height of the cold war. It played a massive influence in the shaping of the characters and stuff .

What's LoGH?

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-02 15:20:24

At 8/2/12 02:01 PM, Lochifess wrote: What's LoGH?

I'm guessing it's Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-02 21:58:17

Dear creators of B Gata H Kei:

That's 6 hours of my life I want back.

That is all,
Good day.

SHITTEST. ANIME. EVER. Not a SINGLE goddamned thing happened that wasn't entirely generic and done-to-death already. If you really want to see for yourself, just watch the first episode, then the last. I kid you not, you won't miss ANY story points or meaningful content in-between... because there isn't any. Simple as that.

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-02 23:05:30

I watched the first 4 episodes of Blassreiter, which I thought would be shit, but it doesn't seem bad. What do y'all think?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-03 01:03:31

At 8/2/12 11:05 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Blassreiter, which I thought would be shit

I've heard about it, but this is why I've been putting it off. Amanda looks delicious though.

but it doesn't seem bad.

Can you elaborate?

Anyone else excited for P4Arena? It comes out next week, and I can't wait to play it. Preordered the game a few weeks ago, so I'm buying it on the release date.

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-05 06:16:24

At 8/2/12 11:05 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched the first 4 episodes of Blassreiter, which I thought would be shit, but it doesn't seem bad. What do y'all think?

It has a nice-ish story, but you'd rather be paying attention to the graphics and fight scenes if you want to enjoy it.

Response to Anime Club 2012-08-06 13:24:48

At 8/1/12 02:08 AM, Lochifess wrote: Anybody still keeping up with Bleach? I haven't watched the anime in ages and I just found out they ended it without the actual final arc. I think the final arc is pretty good, with a good start up.

Nope. I have only seen the early episodes. I haven't watched Bleach in a long time.

BBS Signature