00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ramenretro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,830,078 Views | 59,823 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2007-08-31 20:02:13

So, I just finished Karin. Gotta say, I didn't expect THAT much romance, though it was bearable. The only things I dislike about the series would have to be the little noises they play in the middle of an episode (along with some pictures of course) that I'm thinking was there for the commercial break. They sound all comical, and it really breaks the mood when it's actually serious(Other versions may not have this, I'm not too sure on it). The other thing I disliked was the entire episode devoted to Ren, Karin's big brother....they dragged it out too long. I appreciate the episode for adding to his character (which is one of my favorites) but they could have at least shortened it, and gotten back to other things.

I especially liked the ending....at first I hated it at the first half, then all of a sudden something funny happens when Karin is about to get sliced in two pieces by a vampire hunter....and then all of the seriousness just disappears, and it turns into comedy. At first I didn't like it, but then I saw they were kinda fixing the harsher parts from before. This made me like it, and the ending really fit very well. This is probably the only ending to an anime that I really like....most others make me sad, or make me thinking "That's it?" this one kinda sealed it up. Sure I want more, but this one can definitely do how it is.

I recommend it to anyone....it was pretty good, and I don't regret watching it at all.

Response to Anime Club 2007-08-31 20:19:57

In shopping for useless anime shit today, I now own 3 Volumes of Oldboy. What ios Oldboy you ask? KILL YOURSELF IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF IT! Oh Dae Su would be a WAY better name for the protagonist in the Manga though.

Response to Anime Club 2007-08-31 21:01:22

At 8/31/07 08:01 PM, Wesleyiam wrote: Your most recent order of....

Useless anime merchandise, of course.

I posted about this like two or three pages ago.

At 8/31/07 08:19 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: In shopping for useless anime shit today, I now own 3 Volumes of Oldboy. What ios Oldboy you ask? KILL YOURSELF IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF IT! Oh Dae Su would be a WAY better name for the protagonist in the Manga though.

Yeah, it'd certainly clear up the Yashizawa/Yamashita argument...

Also snagged three volumes of Maison Ikkoku today (seven to nine) for around $34, at this price I may be able to finish it in the foreseeable future.

Response to Anime Club 2007-08-31 22:19:41

At 8/31/07 04:11 PM, Kaworu-Ikari wrote:

Ahh, I see now. True, there are plenty of mecha with chatty dialouge. How long have you been into anime, and are there any horror anime that you can recommend? I've been watching some action, romance, and absurdest-comedy anime, but I never truly got to see a real horror anime.

Horror anime? Well, nothing comes to mind immediately. I keep telling everyone about that movie BioHunter, and I strongly recommend it.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 00:18:51

At 8/30/07 04:15 PM, Gendo wrote:
At 8/30/07 04:03 PM, soundbuster34 wrote: lets dee i like naruto dot.hack (all versions) umm inuyasha ruroni kenshin and bleach
How very detailed!

Re-read the questions and put some actual effort in to the answers you give.

I wasn't aware that I was channeling my personality onto Gendo's psyche. Vicodin must fuck me up more than I thought. Or Gendo is just a gigantic ass. Either way, stop it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 00:36:43

At 8/31/07 10:19 PM, TacticalShoe wrote: Horror anime?

Paranoia Agent?

Well, I suppose you could just as easily call that a mystery.

There's... Boogiepop Phantom... Hellsing to an extent... Vampire Hunter D... Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni... Elfin Lied... Blood: The Last Vampire...

Yeah, I haven't watched that many horror anime's.

And half of them aren't very good.

If I counted in manga I could expand that list a bit.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 00:48:44

At 9/1/07 12:36 AM, Kuro wrote: Yeah, I haven't watched that many horror anime's.

Me neither.

Also, Rintaro's Doomed Megalopolis, that was quite good.

And half of them aren't very good.

Agreed.

If I counted in manga I could expand that list a bit.

MPD Psycho (also got a great deal of mystery), Ichi The Killer (although it's not straight-up horror, in fact, it's not plainly any specific genre), etc.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 01:07:45

At 9/1/07 12:48 AM, Gendo wrote: MPD Psycho (also got a great deal of mystery), Ichi The Killer (although it's not straight-up horror, in fact, it's not plainly any specific genre), etc.

Also Battle Royale, which was a little too gory for its own good.

I can't take a comic seriously if a gunshot from a small handgun blows half of someones head off.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 01:19:45

At 9/1/07 01:07 AM, Kuro wrote: Also Battle Royale, which was a little too gory for its own good.

Understatement of the century.

That pushed the logic of illustrated bloodshed to its very limits, especially with the infamous handgun scene.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 01:44:42

At 9/1/07 01:19 AM, Gendo wrote: That pushed the logic of illustrated bloodshed to its very limits, especially with the infamous handgun scene.

RED:

MOST CERTAINLY NOT YOUR COLOUR.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 01:59:56

At 9/1/07 01:44 AM, Kuro wrote:
At 9/1/07 01:19 AM, Gendo wrote: That pushed the logic of illustrated bloodshed to its very limits, especially with the infamous handgun scene.
RED:

Mitsuko Souma, I'd fuck her. Also more blood and guts.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 02:00:36

At 9/1/07 01:44 AM, Kuro wrote: RED:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, dear Lord.

Insta-save for sheer hilarity.

That's probably the most amusing thing I've seen on this BBS in a while.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 02:05:06

At 9/1/07 02:00 AM, Gendo wrote: That's probably the most amusing thing I've seen on this BBS in a while.

I've wondered something for a while now.

Why is it that Tokyo Red Hood is considered guro, while that isn't?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 02:32:04

At 9/1/07 02:05 AM, Kuro wrote: Why is it that Tokyo Red Hood is considered guro, while that isn't?

I'd say it's due to the lack of erotic nature to the violence (save for a few of Mitsuko's kills) in BR.

Either that or people are too lazy or uneducated to recognize that it's pretty damn near guro.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 02:50:36

At 9/1/07 02:32 AM, Gendo wrote: I'd say it's due to the lack of erotic nature to the violence (save for a few of Mitsuko's kills) in BR.

Lack of erotic nature?

Pfft, don't be so ignorant.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 03:01:04

At 8/31/07 10:19 PM, TacticalShoe wrote:
At 8/31/07 04:11 PM, Kaworu-Ikari wrote:
...... I keep telling everyone about that movie BioHunter, and I strongly recommend it....

Hmm, BioHunter. Molecular Biologists and rampant demon-forming viruses. Sounds like a good pick for my weekend viewing

At 9/1/07 12:36 AM, Kuro wrote: Paranoia Agent?
Well, I suppose you could just as easily call that a mystery.

I've seen that series, and despite negative comments that I've received, I loved it.

although that plushie dog freaks the hell out of me
...Elfen Lied...

I'm currently watching it now

3rd episode
At 9/1/07 12:48 AM, Gendo wrote:
At 9/1/07 12:36 AM, Kuro wrote:
Ichi The Killer

I really want to see that movie, so I guess I'll stop by to my import store.

At 9/1/07 01:07 AM, Kuro wrote:
At 9/1/07 12:48 AM, Gendo wrote:
Also Battle Royale, which was a little too gory for its own good.

I've read the novel, and I really liked it. haven't watched the anime or the graphic novels.

Formerly Shift7089

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 03:05:45

At 9/1/07 03:01 AM, Kaworu-Ikari wrote: I've seen that series, and despite negative comments that I've received, I loved it.

Say what?

Who the hell's being giving negative comments about Paranoia Agent?

It's like... The second best anime series of all time.

...Elfen Lied...
I'm currently watching it now
I've read the novel, and I really liked it. haven't watched the anime or the graphic novels.

There's no anime.

There's a live action movie however.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 08:37:46

Battle Royale the novel freaking roxxor'd my boxxors.

The movie was good for a cheap laugh.

I have not read the manga.

This will be my last post till the october/november time period. I leave for Korea tomorrow. The club members will rue this if I come back to find this place a mess.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 08:55:09

At 9/1/07 08:37 AM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: The club members will rue this if I come back to find this place a mess.

Quick guys!

Wonko's gone!

Let's crank out the kegs and party!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 08:56:40

uhh ok lets
1.naruto: freakin awesome show nuff said
2.bleach: i like action anime and stuff and one of my buds was telling me about it
3. i watched the first elfen lied episode and i have to say i thought it was rather good but very goreand horror like
4.the slayers:so funny but with thr right amount of action
5.dot hack:as i siad i like all versions of this show and the games r awesome

i dont really dislike any anime except the really stupid ones like bo-bo-bo or milk-chan

Anime Club

Lawl....thank you and goodnight

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 15:17:22

At 9/1/07 02:50 AM, Kuro wrote: Lack of erotic nature?

Pffft, don't make a huge deal out of a select few scenes.

The eroticized violence is clearly not the focus of the story, hence it is not considered guro.

Plus, there's a bit more to guro than just any kind of erotic violence...

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 15:18:53

At 9/1/07 03:17 PM, Gendo wrote:
At 9/1/07 02:50 AM, Kuro wrote: Lack of erotic nature?

Pffft, don't make a huge deal out of a select few scenes.

The eroticized violence is clearly not the focus of the story, hence it is not considered guro.

Yeah. Guro makes you feel dirty on the inside when you look at it.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 15:24:45

At 9/1/07 08:56 AM, soundbuster34 wrote:
uhh ok lets
1.naruto: freakin awesome show nuff said

That's kinda okay. The stale plot replacements (fillers) really killed the series though. Shippuden, however is worth a watch (if you got nothing else to do). Basically, it's fine as long as:
1. It's subbed, and not dubbed.
2. You don't watch the Cartoon Network version (its crap really. "dattebayo" owns "believe it")
3. You get the raw DVD (e.g. original voice actor, no fillers, no dubs, no censors=no problem).
Again, it's an "okay show". Just not reveled enough to be "freaking awesome"

2.bleach: i like action anime and stuff and one of my buds was telling me about it

Bleach is actually worth a watch, I mean who doesn't like soul reapers tangled up with demonic creatures (okay, don't answer that question). I give it some cookie points. Huh, with alternate worlds, and mystical cretures, it kinda reminds me of Inuyasha.

But it can't beat the classic :P.

3. i watched the first elfen lied episode and i have to say i thought it was rather good but very gore and horror like

The gore and horror are some plus points of the series. I'm gonna assume that you're younger than 15 (forgive me if i offended you). If you don't like incidences of human sadism, casual beatings, cruel experimentation, pedophilic rape and outright killing, don't watch the rest. It is actually a cool anime, it's just getting bashed out by other people who don't like the series. If it really does interest you, then watch it.

There is really more to it than meets the eye.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of it.

i dont really dislike any anime except the really stupid ones like bo-bo-bo or milk-chan

Ahh, those are absurdest-comedy anime. They have little or no storyline, but their purpose is to entice laughter through randomness. Some of them are okay, such as Ninja Nonsense.

you happy Gendo? lol, jk

Formerly Shift7089

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 15:40:18

At 9/1/07 08:56 AM, soundbuster34 wrote: 1.naruto: freakin awesome show nuff said

Ugh, God no....

3. i watched the first elfen lied episode and i have to say i thought it was rather good but very goreand horror like

Fuck no.

Elfen Lied is an insult to anime. It's tasteless, misdirected, pointlessly violent and struggling to seem deep or intelligent.

5.dot hack:as i siad i like all versions of this show and the games r awesome

Can't disagree with those.

Milk-chan is pretty shitty, but Bo7 is fucking amazing.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 15:48:40

At 9/1/07 03:47 PM, Mendou wrote: Also i played a demo of Dynasty warrior Gundam today and i thought it was pretty damn fun.

I cannot wait to get a chance to play that, it looks amazing.

The game was fun and id buy a PS3 just to play it.

I'm waiting for the Xbox 360 version, cheaper and better console ftw.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 16:04:47

At 9/1/07 04:01 PM, Mendou wrote: All those characters in one battle made me want to cream myself

Imaginably, Master Asia alone is worth the price of admission due to his sheer GARness.

Or that, though i prefer the PlayStation controls then the xbox's but wait this isn't a video game console discussion.

I was never an Xbox fanboy (PS2 user since 2002), but the PS3 disappointed me in every way imaginable.

I don't have tons of money for a console with like two games I want to play.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 16:24:38

At 9/1/07 04:17 PM, Mendou wrote: Playing the master gundam would be one hell of a treat, i know God gundam is in the game but i wonder if the Devil gundam will be....

Nope, the line-up of playable Gundams is pretty small.

That i can understand, shits getting expensive nowadays, now in my day............

Actually, videogame systems were always overpriced, at least the older ones had awesome games, though.

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 17:25:52

At 9/1/07 03:17 PM, Gendo wrote: Pffft, don't make a huge deal out of a select few scenes.

I was making the point that there's as much eroticism and violence in Battle Royale as Tokyo Red Hood (which has very little mixture of the two, aside from maybe a couple of nude shots while the girl is getting disembowled, and a couple of scenes in which somebody may be naked while causing violence (thought the nudity is generally softcore)), yet it isn't considered guro, while Tokyo Red Hood is.

Not to mention Battle Royale is possibly even more violent anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 18:09:53

At 9/1/07 04:37 PM, Mendou wrote: This now slightly disappoints me, oh well there's bound to be six sequels anyway.

Fixed, no need to thank me.

Koei loves to milk their franchises.

The best games were for the SNES(chrono trigger) and playstation i thought.

Quoted for fucking truth.

At 9/1/07 05:25 PM, Kuro wrote: stuff

Tokyo Red Hood's plot puts more emphasis on the sexual violence and sexual content in general (particularly volume two), while Battle Royale concetrates more on the whole "survival of the fittest" dynamic.

Not to mention folks who decide to label a series a certain genre often seem at least a fair bit ignorant of the actual content.

Not to mention Battle Royale is possibly even more violent anyway.

True, especially given the fact that most of TRH's violence has a fantasy element to it (survivng ridiculous amounts of bodily harm, exploding a corpse from the inside, etc.).

Response to Anime Club 2007-09-01 18:17:27

At 9/1/07 04:37 PM, Mendou wrote: The best games were for the SNES(chrono trigger) and playstation i thought.

Well, I'd say it's a tie between Playstation 1 and Playstation 2.

Playstation 1 had some of my favourite games (FF's (though X and XII are still masterpieces), Star Ocean 2 etc.), but I consider those my favourites partially because of nostalgia.

PS2 however had a fucking huge supply of games, but the fact that they are about double the price of PSX game means that I have less of them.

At 9/1/07 06:09 PM, Gendo wrote: Not to mention folks who decide to label a series a certain genre often seem at least a fair bit ignorant of the actual content.

Yeah, well it's really more of an issue of Tokyo Red Hood shouldn't be considered guro when Battle Royale isn't, than Battle Royale should be considered guro when Tokyo Red Hood is.

BBS Signature