00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

bigrichardrick just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,843,255 Views | 59,825 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-05 18:59:24

At 3/5/10 10:18 AM, DeIirium wrote: What if in Evil Dead Ash suddenly turned into a transvestite and clowns fell out of the ceiling and they'd start dancing to Vanilla Ice? It would be retarded, even though that movie is far from serious.

I don't know, but if that happened in Hellsing I would be in total support of it.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-05 22:29:29

At 3/5/10 10:18 AM, DeIirium wrote: Doesn't matter. Of course Vampires vs nazis isn't serious on some Requiem for a dream level, but the cardboard cutouts are still stupid and don't fit the style of the anime.
What if in Evil Dead Ash suddenly turned into a transvestite and clowns fell out of the ceiling and they'd start dancing to Vanilla Ice? It would be retarded, even though that movie is far from serious.

I liked hellsing, but those cardboard cutouts got on my nerves also. They could have used a form of humour that better fit their style.

Also, NEVER disrespect Vanilla Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-06 01:46:59

I've never seen Helllsign. Again, I reval my ignorance in very basic series :/

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-06 04:53:41

At 2/21/10 07:34 AM, Aigis wrote: Well, there is a general problem that scanlators have a tendency to translate things literally, and professional translators try to make things sound good in English while keeping the basic meaning. This usually means changing sentences quite a bit (considering the differences in language).

Yep yep. I knew I would be forgetting quite a few things in that post. It is difficult with some words and phrases after translation. I've seen two different sentances/quotes but the means usually relate to the situation.

That's probably not something that translators tend to have much of a problem with. However, that's quite interesting. I didn't know that about Japan.

It really doesn't, just wanted to throw out something that people might relate to. But yes, interesting fact none the less.

It really explains why, when I was learning how to give directions in Japanese, we only ever learned "go straight, then go left at the next corner etc." without anything more specific.

I wonder if they throw in the names of the blocks as well. I'm sure they do to clear up confusion and granted if you live in that district you'd probably know your way around pretty good.

What I'm getting at is that even if you don't agree with the censorship and the translations, think of the people who make the series you are interested in. If it's out on the market of your country at least buy ONE copy just so the creators can get some profit. If everyone just got releases for free the makers would just stop. Now wouldn't that just be the pits?
I really don't think that a Western audience not buying a manga series is going to dissuade manga writers from writing manga. Really not their primary fanbase.

You could say that but also look at is as what countries/regions that particular series is selling in. Say you were a comic artist and you noticed France had a low selling value of your series and that it was costing you more in royalties to put it in that country than it was as to selling to make the profit. Then you'd have to think about pulling said comic from that country so you wouldn't be slowly slipping under.(i know, farfetched, etc...)

I've read some scanlated manga (only ones that could never possibly be released here, like Tokyo Akazukin) and it's really not as fun. You don't get that satisfaction of flipping through the pages and getting to the end.

Precisely. Even if words or names are off you know what the right ones in your head are. That's good enough for me in some cases anyways.

Same thing will probably happen with Heavy Rain seeing how Blockbuster put the game out for rent before the street date.
Is there a huge problem with piracy on the Playstation 3? It seems like that would be a rather niche audience, considering you actually have to mess with the software and/or hardware before you can do it (I don't actually know the methods, I'm just guessing).

Look at the sales of something. PC gaming is pretty bad off with a lot of the pirating and a lot of games are console only. Even then when they are released on the PC most of the time the additional content rarely sees a release date. When it does it's usually half or close to a year down the line when it does see the light of day since they are trying to make it crack proof.

Basically, wouldn't you like to see people buying YOUR product instead of going with the option of renting it for a small margin?

The industry that it harms is the foreign distribution and translation industry, but those aren't going to kill the anime industry as a whole.

Throwing the the small population who only use t.v. and not the net. That and those unfortunate enough to have a back water provider that only gives them 5gb of bandwith per month.

At 2/21/10 05:34 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: Ever heard of Shadow Star Narutaru? Dark Horse mutilated it.

Other than the fact that the chapters ended differently with the english version? I've seen nothing else saying otherwise to them mutilating it.

At 2/21/10 07:42 PM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: It worked when the club was small, but we both know that it grew too big and was too much of a hassle.
Should I ask someone religious to pray for you?

HOSHI SAMA

Done with college? What was your major anyway?

I wish man. After I got my GED in 2004 I spent the years grinding in a kitchen. I did make good money from time to time then. Mainly to get my moms hospital bills and other house bills set away. Mother still owes a lot on them and then there is the 3,000$ bill for the new a/c unit and furnace. Not to mention she's still determined to go to Greece this year.

I do plan on going for either computer or electrical engineering.

Ah, if only I had the money to buy things. All my money goes to various insurance payments, gas, and cigarettes. Oh, and also college.

Aside from above mine are the same as yours aside from the college part. Throw in truck parts and it's about the same haha.

I'm confused by that, is it like the Animatrix, only Halo?

Pretty much. A friend of mine says it's the other way around animation wise. But to each his own in this case.

At 2/22/10 12:26 PM, Wesleyiam wrote: Anyways, HERE is the spring 2010 lineup.

After what seems a century the Tethe'alla chapters begin. Really looking forward to that. It's a shame that Eri Kawai died from liver cancer. She had a beautiful voice and the OP was, and still is, my favorite of any anime I have seen.

At 2/23/10 06:26 PM, sisoriboy19 wrote: Full Metal Alchemist [NOT BROTHERHOOD IT SUCKS]

Haha I could punch you in the face right now.

Rurouni Kenshin
Berserk

But for some reason I refrain.

At 2/24/10 07:31 AM, GenericName54 wrote:
At 2/23/10 07:09 PM, Aigis wrote: And I'm a little sick of slice of life shows.
Would you like a slice of bread with your slice of life?

On a whim of a friend I started to watch this show. After the third episode I got rid of every trace of it. Talk about painful anime to watch.

At 3/5/10 01:03 AM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote:
It's an old pattern, and I loathe it as much as you do.
The way you are phrasing what you say, it seems like you are trying to start a flame war. Just be a little more respectful that other people don't share your opinions.

THIS.

---

Yeah I release all of this is fucking old but I've already stated what the business is.

I train another new guy tomorrow for my second job, after the two I've trained for my first.

Basically I'll work my second job Saturdays through Tuesdays and he'll do the portering Wednesdays through Fridays. 4-3 split which is pretty nice but there is something that I really enjoy about working at my own pace with no one there to boss me around while I listen to music turned up to 11. In light of this 4-3 split the boss of my second job felt bad and offered me to work as crew during the day once a week so I can still make the same amount but in turn I'll be making MORE money.

This gave me a boner.

So instead of around 550-600 checks every two weeks it'll be around 600 - 650 every two weeks. I came shortly after. I can finally get a computer desk that I've been needing for so long and a decent t.v. so I can play my PS3 again. I've always had issues with playing games in crappy quality and resolution. God of War 3 on a 10 inch t.v. would be the death of me.

Other than that, filled that sinful pleasure and got caught up with Inuyasha. Go figure, just as I thought it would play out to be. Still need to get around to watching Unicorn. It's been in my possession for a few days now and I really need to get around to watching it.

Up coming series wise: The Legend of Koizumi looks very awesome. More anime about Mahjong is exactly what I've been wanting. Looks like Japans current and former prime ministers along with Bush Sr and Jr up against Kim Jong-il and Chinas ministers. Bush Sr is just the ref so it seems and Jr is filling the part of the idiot just nicely. Can't wait for this to be translated since the teaser looks very promising.

Btw, Kenshiro game coming to Pal regions.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]

XBL / PSN - Voidist

Malice is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-06 04:58:47

At 3/6/10 04:53 AM, Kisuke wrote: You could say that but also look at is as what countries/regions that particular series is selling in. Say you were a comic artist and you noticed France had a low selling value of your series and that it was costing you more in royalties to put it in that country than it was as to selling to make the profit. Then you'd have to think about pulling said comic from that country so you wouldn't be slowly slipping under.(i know, farfetched, etc...)

Yeah.

But then the scanlators would just keep scanlating them and putting them on the internet.

There wouldn't be that much of a loss.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-06 14:19:16

At 3/6/10 04:53 AM, Kisuke wrote:
Other than the fact that the chapters ended differently with the english version? I've seen nothing else saying otherwise to them mutilating it.

Wow, you don't know about this?
There were notable visual edits throughout the series, and in volume 7, ENTIRE PAGES were removed. Someone on /a/ posted comparison images a few years ago, but I can't remember what I did with them (or if I even saved them in the first place).

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-06 19:55:21

lol Baron likes anime what

At 3/4/10 03:16 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote:
At 3/4/10 07:47 AM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: InuYahsa
I used to love that show when I was young, but looking back at it now, it was terrible.

I freaking hate that show.

At 3/4/10 05:03 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Last I checked they weren't all released, but I definitely plan on seeing them.

Funimation picked it up and at least number 5 should be coming to DVD soon. I still have only seen 1-4.

Picked up a new series today "The Count of Monte Cristo," looks fascinating. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

That looks pretty cool. I still haven't seen it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 04:37:53

At 3/4/10 07:52 PM, Mendou wrote: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes, loved that movie. But the ending drags out a bit.

First saw it on Sci-Fi channel back like, 12-13 years ago when they played "Japanimation," and loved it. Picked it up around a year ago on DVD and was extremely impressed with it. Can't believe the creator of InuYasha had series going as far back as the late 70's.
Also, epic signature is epic.

At 3/4/10 09:39 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Elfen Lied in general is a horrible and bloated pretentious piece of shit that tries and fails at being a shocking and disturbing anime and it wishes it could be Neon Genesis Evangelion because some of the fans think of it as "Deep" and "Philisophical" It's not, it's only tits and pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

It never struck me as "Pseudo-intellectual," probably because I never found it attempting to be ground breaking in any manner (granted I'm not up on the expected hype that many might be aware of.)

At 3/4/10 10:13 PM, Aigis wrote: The art style annoyed me a little, but I got used to it after a little while.

I only saw a few episodes so far. The art style interests me, but I feel it could have been pulled off better. The usage of style for clothing and such is innovative and pleasing aesthetically, but the structure of the characters didn't strike me as on par with innovation the color scheme is attempting to pull off, and as such, unbalanced.

At 3/6/10 07:55 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol Baron likes anime what

I can't believe I ever disliked it.
As a personal observation, it seems almost everything I end up becoming extremely interested in usually goes through a period where I openly show a dislike for it. The pattern goes:
Loved it originally>For whatever reason, find fault in it, openly dislike>Finally realize how awesome it was, take head out of ass, love it.

Even one of my greatest interests, music briefly went through this process. For a short time I viewed it as a key factor in keeping people separate, seeing the various clashes between the ghetto/metal/prep cliques when I was in 8th grade. But such stupidity was quickly remedied.

Also, awesome signature, Electric Wizard FTW.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 13:59:35

At 3/7/10 04:37 AM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote:
At 3/4/10 09:39 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Elfen Lied in general is a horrible and bloated pretentious piece of shit that tries and fails at being a shocking and disturbing anime and it wishes it could be Neon Genesis Evangelion because some of the fans think of it as "Deep" and "Philisophical" It's not, it's only tits and pseudo-intellectual bullshit.
It never struck me as "Pseudo-intellectual," probably because I never found it attempting to be ground breaking in any manner (granted I'm not up on the expected hype that many might be aware of.)

This is really more of a problem with the fans who pretend it's really smart and deep when it's just a mindless excuse for tits with a really nonexistent plot that revolves around some crazy bitch who just goes around killing bitches and has amnesia and a split personality after hitting her head. FAIL PSYCHOLOGY FOREVER!!

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 16:22:46

So Ponyo was awesome. The fairy tale logic of it all was a bit jarring. Oh, a fish with a human face? waves the size of mountains? Girl pops up from nowhere. Ho-hum, another thrusday in Japan.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 18:00:37

At 3/7/10 01:59 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
This is really more of a problem with the fans who pretend it's really smart and deep when it's just a mindless excuse for tits with a really nonexistent plot that revolves around some crazy bitch who just goes around killing bitches and has amnesia and a split personality after hitting her head. FAIL PSYCHOLOGY FOREVER!!

Oh man, I can think of WAY TOO MANY titles that logic applies too.
It all goes to show the industry has all but gone to pot.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 18:34:25

got my hands on the first two Mad Bull 34 ovas, and the first 4 Angel Cop ovas. classic violent cheese!

I've been actually watching nothing but anime short films and short film collections like Genius Party and Sweat Punch. I tried to watch Pale Cocoon last night, but was too messed up to even pay attention to something that short. After it turned into a music video I was like "fuck this shit" and shut it off. I'll watch it again later, despite the music video shit they pulled.

I still haven't started Michiko to Hachin. I'll get around to it. And I gotta get through the last four volumes of ROD from Netflix that have been sitting on top of the tv unit downstairs. This show is pretty cool. I still gotta watch the OVA, too, which I had originally intended to do since it came out first.

At 3/7/10 04:37 AM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Also, awesome signature, Electric Wizard FTW.

thanks. They are indeed the shit.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 18:45:57

I like Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note the best but ya know Hellsing ,Dragon Ball,DBZ,and DBGT is good.I like Naruto Bleach and One piece too because there storys have changed alot since the beggining of them.lol

pOsSoM2

XBL Gamertag-JustinEverlast

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 21:22:39

At 3/7/10 06:45 PM, possum2 wrote: I like Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note the best but ya know Hellsing ,Dragon Ball,DBZ,and DBGT is good.I like Naruto Bleach and One piece too because there storys have changed alot since the beggining of them.lol

How about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh?

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 23:22:33

At 3/2/10 07:40 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: First off, the English cast did an incredible job with the dub....

I hate English voice acting. That is why I like subs. They are always really lazy and obnoxious to the point that it takes away from the art with dubs. Voice acting just isn't done well in the US. That is probably because it isn't really seen as a art form like it is in other places.

Also I finally watched had a chance to watch castle in the sky. It was a great movie but I like Ponyo better. I liked spirited away better then both of them though. Still have totoro on my list.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 23:31:54

At 3/7/10 09:22 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
At 3/7/10 06:45 PM, possum2 wrote: I like Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note the best but ya know Hellsing ,Dragon Ball,DBZ,and DBGT is good.I like Naruto Bleach and One piece too because there storys have changed alot since the beggining of them.lol
How about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh?

Never heard of em.The books i have are FullMetal Alchemist 1-9,Death Note 1-13 plus BB Murder Cases,Hellsing 1-3,One Peice 1,Naruto 1-18,Inuyasha 1-5,DragonBall 1-2,DBZ 1-12,Bleach 1-23,Samurai Champloo 1-2,and YU-GI-OH millenium world 1-3.I have alot of Shonen Jumps too.....Like anybody cares...

pOsSoM2

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 23:33:42

Does anybody know a good place to wath alot of anime?I watch some on Adult Swim every Saturday night but if you guys could help me out here that would be great...

pOsSoM2

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-07 23:41:30

At 3/7/10 11:22 PM, Omorashi wrote: Voice acting just isn't done well in the US.

That's a fucking lie, though not as big a lie if you're speaking strictly of US dubs of Japanese animation. Though it's still a lie, as good dubbing from the US definitely exists.

There are two kinds of very annoying people when it comes to foreign films and series. lazy dickholes who can't bring themselves to read subtitles, and snobby fags who find it unthinkable to watch foreign cartoons dubbed and even find very apparently good dubs to be unlistenable. "Why are you watching Cowboy Bebop dubbed?" "Why the fuck wouldn't I, fag?"

You know how many lazy dickholes walked out of the theater and missed out on Pan's Labyrinth when they found out they had to read? They probably wouldn't have liked it anyway, the dickholes.

Also I finally watched had a chance to watch castle in the sky. It was a great movie but I like Ponyo better.

If Ponyo really is better than Castle in the Sky, I'll be a little surprised.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 00:38:38

At 3/7/10 11:33 PM, possum2 wrote: Does anybody know a good place to wath alot of anime?

Simple question, simple answer.
They might not have the titles you're looking for, but they have quite a selection, and most of it is available to the public for free. Everything else you have to pay out of your ass to watch.
I know it's annoying and unfair, but it's the only legal option we have.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 01:31:23

At 3/7/10 11:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
... Though it's still a lie, as good dubbing from the US definitely exists.

I wasn't trying to say it doesn't exist. I was just trying to say it isn't really taken as serious in USA which makes the overall quality decrease. It is like if you go up to the average american and ask them who is your favorite voice actor he probably couldn't tell you a single name. I like dubs when they are done well with time put in to them. I liked FLCL and spirited away dubs quite a bit. But then there is shows like Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, NGE... that admitably aren't great but they are the most popular anime in USA that have terrible dubs that are just annoying. The dubs on these overspoken shows are terrible and they just make the whole anime community look bad. Finding good english dubs is like finding a needle in a haystack.

You know how many lazy dickholes walked out of the theater and missed out on Pan's Labyrinth when they found out they had to read? They probably wouldn't have liked it anyway, the dickholes.

I honestly didn't even know Pans Labyrinth was in theater in the US. I don't like watching films at the theater. It was a good movie though.

If Ponyo really is better than Castle in the Sky, I'll be a little surprised.

I think the story of Castle in the Sky is great and I bet the animation was amazing at the time it was released. I just really loved the story line in Ponyo. It is just cute and heart warming; it makes you feel good. And the animation was just so unique and well made. Castle in the Sky would have been better if the animation was less uniform. Maybe if it was remade today I would prefer it over Ponyo.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 01:59:57

At 3/8/10 12:38 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
They might not have the titles you're looking for, but they have quite a selection, and most of it is available to the public for free. Everything else you have to pay out of your ass to watch.

Thanks bro

pOsSoM2

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 02:02:55

At 3/8/10 12:38 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
At 3/7/10 11:33 PM, possum2 wrote: Does anybody know a good place to wath alot of anime?

That one was good but I found Hulu.com.Its a good site to watch any show.u should chek it out dude.

pOsSoM2

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 02:17:04

At 3/8/10 01:31 AM, Omorashi wrote: It is like if you go up to the average american and ask them who is your favorite voice actor he probably couldn't tell you a single name.

You're implying that the average Japanese person keeps a list in their head of who voices cartoons? Anime, manga, and the internet are not accurate depictions of Japan, my friend.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 02:48:29

At 3/8/10 02:17 AM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: You're implying that the average Japanese person keeps a list in their head of who voices cartoons? Anime, manga, and the internet are not accurate depictions of Japan, my friend.

You're insane, everyone knows that Japan is just one big anime convention. Just like everyone knows that America is one big fat people convention.

It's 5 again, the air is thin.

No sunlight through my window.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 03:21:19

At 3/8/10 02:17 AM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote:
At 3/8/10 01:31 AM, Omorashi wrote: It is like if you go up to the average american and ask them who is your favorite voice actor he probably couldn't tell you a single name.
You're implying that the average Japanese person keeps a list in their head of who voices cartoons? Anime, manga, and the internet are not accurate depictions of Japan, my friend.

Fine my analogys suck all I am saying is commonly in anime the English voice acting is neglected. In Japan it is a much respected career. It is like for every good experience with English dubs you get ten shitty ones; and for me really obnoxious voices takes away from the artists vision, and makes the show unenjoyable.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 03:24:03

What he should say is 'Patrick Warburton'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 05:22:16

At 3/8/10 03:21 AM, Omorashi wrote: In Japan it is a much respected career.

...within the anime subculture. Your avarage Japanese doesn't really care. Honestly. Sure, the industry is large, but it's not the mainstream.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 11:38:24

At 3/8/10 03:24 AM, Aigis wrote:
What he should say is 'Patrick Warburton'.

Brock Samson! Fuck Yeah!

Also Omorashi blah blah blah strawman argument blah blah blah appeal to ignorance.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 16:47:54

At 3/7/10 09:22 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: How about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya...

I've only seen a few episodes so far, but damn, that is one hell of an anime.
Have so many series I have to catch up on.

At 3/8/10 03:21 AM, Omorashi wrote: Fine my analogys suck all I am saying is commonly in anime the English voice acting is neglected.

Not really, I've watched many Anime hearing both the Japanese and the English voice actors and found equal amount of talent within both. I've also watched some Anime in English while having subtitles on to see just how different the story is, and there is virtually no difference aside from wording.

It all boils down to opinion in the long run, but voice actors are just as likely to take their job as seriously in Japan as they are elsewhere. It's a pretty fun profession, it's not like accounting.
_________

Also, has anyone here seen "Big Windup," I have been thinking about getting this series but haven't heard anyone's opinions of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-03-08 16:51:54

At 3/8/10 11:38 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Also Omorashi blah blah blah strawman argument blah blah blah appeal to ignorance.

Alright I am wrong. While anyways can any one explain to me what happened at the end of Darker then Black season 1. I thought pretty much all of the contractors died but in season two they are all alive again.

BBS Signature