New Topic Respond to this Topic
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 01:53 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 07:31 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: It's also not very stable. I also wanted it so that jellies could merge together if they were pushed onto each other.

why aren't you able to do so?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 06:49 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: As for actionscript silly for prototyping? Man in actionscript you can make something visual and interactive like you never can in most other languages. Just displaying an animation would require complex spritesheet crap in C++. Prototyping is about finding out if something works with crappy throw-away code and if you can do it faster in actionscript you should.

Yes yes, you're completely right on that accord. What I'm saying is like, Actionscript, Lua, Python etc.. are all languages people use to protoype stuff before implementing them in something like C++ or C#. And I just found it silly cuz it took me 1 hour to do it in Lua and 5 hours in flash. Even though I had already gotten it to work I really just wanted to try it in flash.

But I think the main reason I had little trouble in Lua is because the Love framework I'm using has box2d tightly integrated into it.

At 11/4/12 01:53 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/3/12 07:31 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: It's also not very stable. I also wanted it so that jellies could merge together if they were pushed onto each other.
why aren't you able to do so?

I should rephrase, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'm thinking I may have to do some more trickery like when two jelly's are pushed against each other hard enough I remove them, place one big jelly, and try to place the in the same place. Or simply just add joints where the jelly's touched.

Actually the more I program, and read about other programmers, the more I realize how this trickery is an integral part of the job. Sandremss, as you pointed out, it's usually never about how you did it, but about whether the end result is good enough.

Also similarly, I've started to realize that solving a problem usually doesn't suffice. Like when I first learned programming, my main question was always "How can I solve this problem?", but now it's more like "what's the most efficient way to solve this problem?" because no one will care if you made an awesome lighting system if it makes the game barely playable due to lag.

And I think this is actually something general to engineering than specifically programming. It doesn't matter if you figure out how to get clean water to Africa, or if you manage to create the smallest and most powerful processor in the world, if it costs millions of dollars to implement that water project or produce that processor.

It sounds kind of cheesy but, you could say engineering is like parkour of the mind. Like how parkour is all about getting from point A to point B inthe fastest and most efficient way, so too is engineering about solving problems in the fastest and most efficient way.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 10:29 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 09:40 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: because no one will care if you made an awesome lighting system if it makes the game barely playable due to lag.

I hope mine does better than that! :D

btw, has anyone here programmed with D? D is a pretty rad language, it's like C++, but more modern (at least that's how I like to think of it :) ). Starting to learn SDL2 and OpenGL using D, though sadly because my graphics card sucks balls, I'm starting to learn good ol' OpenGL2.x instead of 3.x stuff :( Oh well! :D

P.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 09:40 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: I should rephrase, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'm thinking I may have to do some more trickery like when two jelly's are pushed against each other hard enough I remove them, place one big jelly, and try to place the in the same place. Or simply just add joints where the jelly's touched.

or the easiest solution (my opinion) - remove one jelly and increase the size of the second.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 09:40 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: engineering is like parkour of the mind.

I'm using this quote.

Inb4 copyright infringement.

I haven't done anything since the Bot...I might start looking into smoke physics now. It'll make more sense next year when I take thermo and fluids, but maybe I could put it into code still.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 10:29 AM, PSvils wrote: btw, has anyone here programmed with D? D is a pretty rad language, it's like C++, but more modern (at least that's how I like to think of it :) ). Starting to learn SDL2 and OpenGL using D, though sadly because my graphics card sucks balls, I'm starting to learn good ol' OpenGL2.x instead of 3.x stuff :( Oh well! :D

P.

D sounds pretty awesome P. :D

Also the whole issue that some functions may not work on specific graphics cards, and that some implementations may fail on certain systems and configurations is a really scary thought. It makes you really appreciate the simplicity of programming a flash game and how frikking easy it is to put something on screen.

At 11/4/12 11:00 AM, egg82 wrote: or the easiest solution (my opinion) - remove one jelly and increase the size of the second.

Increasing the size may not be that easy. Because the way I assemble this thing is I loop through and place the particles in a circle, and then place joints where they are now. So increasing the number of particles means I have to dissemble and re-assemble it.

I could post the source if you wanna take a crack at it. Although you might be more interested in the Lua source, because it's simpler and the algorithm is more readable (cuz I did a lot of ugly rushed hacks in the flash one).

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 02:57 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: D sounds pretty awesome P. :D

Also the whole issue that some functions may not work on specific graphics cards, and that some implementations may fail on certain systems and configurations is a really scary thought. It makes you really appreciate the simplicity of programming a flash game and how frikking easy it is to put something on screen.

D has garbage collection! :)

But shouldn't OpenGL2.x be pretty much a sure thing nowadays? I mean, if I don't go overboard with some sfx, and just keep it a simple 3d engine or something, it should run okay on most machines no? Then again, I'm totally new with this whole thing, so...yeah :D

P.

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 10/27/12 04:09 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Because due to the tiny amount of people that take it, Further Maths around here is seen as this impossibly difficult holy subject that is reserved only for math deities.

I took Further Maths a few years ago if I can help at all. My view of it is if GCSE Maths was a piece of piss for you, then you'll be able to tackle A-Level Maths in a year, and then Further Maths is certainly doable. I don't know how it is for you, but for me back then, due to the way some modules' points could be allocated to either the Maths or Further Maths certification, I didn't even have to do that well at the harder modules to get a B in Further Maths.
On the other hand, even though I didn't select my own modules, I had amazing teachers, so I can't say for sure how difficult it is in differing circumstances.

Not sure how useful my opinion is for you, but if you've got any questions I can answer, let me know!

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

so I got bored today and decided to turn objects into strings and back for the hell of it.

http://pastebin.com/DxjGVVca
it's very basic (hell, it doesn't even have recursion) - but it gets the job done.

var myObject:Object = new Object();
myObject.test = "testing";

var str:String = (Base64.encode(LZW.compress(ObjectUtils.stringObj(myObject))));
var obj:Object = ObjectUtils.objectString(LZW.decompress(Base64.decode(str)));

trace(obj.test);

I even made my own LZW for it :P

all-in-all, I feel pretty accomplished.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 03:09 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 08:46 PM, egg82 wrote: so I got bored today and decided to turn objects into strings and back for the hell of it.

You have heard of JSON, no?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 10:16 AM Reply

At 11/5/12 03:09 AM, PSvils wrote: You have heard of JSON, no?

yepp, but I didn't feel like parsing JSON. It just seems like more of a pain than is necessary.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 11/5/12 10:16 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/5/12 03:09 AM, PSvils wrote: You have heard of JSON, no?
yepp, but I didn't feel like parsing JSON. It just seems like more of a pain than is necessary.

??
My point was that you don't need to manually convert object > string > object, there are plenty of as3 JSON libraries out there for that, not to mention that the functionality is built in and stuff.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 11/5/12 11:49 AM, PSvils wrote: ??
My point was that you don't need to manually convert object > string > object, there are plenty of as3 JSON libraries out there for that, not to mention that the functionality is built in and stuff.

actually, I did look at a class for turning an object into a string. It worked for just about anything you put into it, and even had recursion, but it didn't have anything for turning that string back into an object :(
it used xml.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 07:40 PM Reply

I wish AS3 had function overloading :( For this smoke thing, I have to have a function that handles a 2D Vector of numbers and another of Points (for pressure and scalars/for velocity and vectors). The only convenient alternative would be to have the x's and y's in separate arrays, but that's kinda messy, and I'd have to pass both in at times and not at other times.

I also have a headache.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 11/6/12 07:40 PM, MSGhero wrote: I wish AS3 had function overloading :( For this smoke thing, I have to have a function that handles a 2D Vector of numbers and another of Points (for pressure and scalars/for velocity and vectors). The only convenient alternative would be to have the x's and y's in separate arrays, but that's kinda messy, and I'd have to pass both in at times and not at other times.

AS4's coming out with operator overloading. AS4 will pretty much be AS3 with more cool stuff.

I also have a headache.

Take some Aspirin and play a game or watch a movie. That's what I do :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 11/6/12 07:57 PM, egg82 wrote: Take some Aspirin and play a game or watch a movie. That's what I do :P

Or just stop coding lol. That worked :P

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 12:53 PM Reply

Never mind about the smoke stuff...I'll code something I actually understand now. The physics is still interesting, though. Head start for next semester!

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

Oh Jesus Christ, AS4

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 03:19 PM, I-smel wrote: Oh Jesus Christ, AS4

AS4 where, link?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 05:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: AS4 where, link?

http://www.rivellomultimediaconsulting.com/actionscript-4-re vealed/?doing_wp_cron=1352327754

They announced AS Next a while ago, which I assume will be AS4 (mentioned refactoring of code base and stuff)

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 07:00 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 05:37 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 11/7/12 05:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: AS4 where, link?
http://www.rivellomultimediaconsulting.com/actionscript-4-re vealed/?doing_wp_cron=1352327754

They announced AS Next a while ago, which I assume will be AS4 (mentioned refactoring of code base and stuff)

Ok, so all the cool features are in the "wishlist" there, not actually confirmed as part of the language.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 01:33 PM Reply

FD 4.2 is out, as well as AIR 3.5 and Player 11.5
shiny features!

also, you're all jelly of my connection speed.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 02:49 AM Reply

I've also just installed Flashdevelop, but only because I can't have FDT on more than one computer and college relies too much on windows based programs to have linux on my laptop (eclipse kind of sucks on Windows in my experience).
It's really easy to have that installer get all the files you need, you can even select what flash player version you want to compile to up to 11.5! I remember this being some hacky solution in FDT where you replace the playerglobal and change an xml file somewhere in the extracted sdk, and you had to manually select the flash player and sdk's as well. It's really a shame that FD is Windows only (and still misses some essential features like debugging as you code), but it'll do for when I'm at school and want to work on flash. Linux + FDT still is superior.

The things that FD is better at hands down are:
1. Ease of installation, it's just a big plus especially for noobs who won't be alienated by the installation. With one click you'll get all the stuff you need to begin coding.
2. Responsiveness, it has decent performance, eclipse on windows just can't top that, Linux is a different beast.
3. Autocompletion, in one way it sucks because with Ctrl + Space it won't search through all classes (like StageQuality), so you have to do Ctrl + Alt + Space which is inconvenient. On the other hand it will get the best match so even if you mistype part of the word you're looking for it will still find it; eclipse will completely break down if you get but one letter wrong.
4. Haxe support, FDT's Haxe support is miserable so yeah +1 for FD.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 02:32 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 02:49 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: Stuff about FD

I HATE doing my Java hw, mainly because of the code completion in eclipse: that it only works half the time only after typing a "." or ctrl+space, and that mistyping ends it.

And because Java looks tacky, but that's a different issue

Yes, it's that time again. Post/talk about what you're working on (Splyth excluded).

Instead of me looking for artists and failing, I found 2 (separate) artists looking for a programmer. The main problem I'd been having was teammates' motivation, I think: I wanted a project done, and they didn't care either way since it's not their own, per se. One's a shooter with Castle Crashers-like physics and the other is similar to FFVI. And I started a prototype for a color-based bullet hell game, dunno where I'm going with it.

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 02:32 PM, MSGhero wrote: Yes, it's that time again. Post/talk about what you're working on (Splyth excluded).

I'm working on a flash chat for newgrounds, kinda like the old radio chat to offer some features the current one is missing.
Programming the server in Java and the client in flash, most interesting obstacles are networking, databases and text rendering.
I'm hoping to have a working beta at the end of the month, now with that out there's some much needed extra pressure on me to get my arse moving.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

I'm still experimenting with programming in D. Still feels interesting, though after having a few week crash course with D, I'll probably slowly move to C++, simply because it's standard and there are more libraries for it, and it's stable. (I haven't run into any problems with D myself, but hanging around the D irc chat, some people have said there are a few problemos...but nothing too major afaik)
I'll try pumping out a quick'n'dirty game with D before moving on though.

P.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 02:32 PM, MSGhero wrote: Yes, it's that time again. Post/talk about what you're working on (Splyth excluded).

working on Gold of Odin and finishing the Gametack library associated with it. After I finish the lib/toolkit, i'll release it as both the source and a swc file.

to-do:
find a way to make creating a 3D world easier.

that's... Pretty much it as far as the lib goes, unless I think of something else.

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

Still have to finish a top down tile-based puzzle game that I havent worked on in a while. pretty much done with it, all I need is touch up and and ending cut scene.

I am also working on a android game app that is an avoider where you use your voice as the controls. there will be 3 vertical lanes and objects appearing at the top of the screen in different lanes moving down towards the player. The user must speak left, middle, or right to change lanes to avoid the objects. I have to find a cool and optimize way to recognize the speech. In order to use Anroid's API to voice recognize i need wifi or data plan on device. But with new release of Jelly-bean the Voice to type is now in the Android library and does not need to connect to wifi to interpret voice. Should be fun...

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 14th, 2012 @ 11:15 PM Reply

bump because the forum has been really active today.

I got a functional login system with GoO :3
how you people's doin'?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 14th, 2012 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 11/14/12 11:15 PM, egg82 wrote: bump because the forum has been really active today.

I got a functional login system with GoO :3
how you people's doin'?

Alpha map-based bitmapdata collisions...though it's kinda wonky since the sprites from the spritesheet change dimensions a bit when I use a rotated one (premade rotation sprites).