Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 15th, 2011 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Twan
AS3
Everything other than AS3
Student Business Informatics, freelance Flash dev
Owning a surfschool on some exotic island
Playing Flash games on Newgrounds I guess, not quite sure.
Soon to be dead.
Hobby and a career, it pays my bills sometimes.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 15th, 2011 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 12/15/11 12:22 PM, PSvils wrote:
At 12/15/11 01:32 AM, Toast wrote: hey guys

http://aichallenge.org/

no need to thank me
That looks very cool! Too bad deadline is in 3 days (I think?)

You better get started then. Some people made pretty smart AI's

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 16th, 2011 @ 08:03 PM Reply

I gotta say I'm impressed with the feedback. Very impressed. But here's round two:

The future of the Flash Forum

Do you want this forum to become for cereal AS3 problems or for anyone?

How do you feel about the games factory?

Should this forum be renamed ActionScript?

What other forums do you visit?

What's your opinion of the forum right now?

How could we improve?

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 16th, 2011 @ 08:07 PM Reply

As always here's my feedback:

Semi-cereal; I don't want it to be all "day one" stuff but I don't want it Hawking only.

It's shite.

potentially

/2/ /secret/ /secret/ /3/ /1/

low :(

How could we improve?

<pass>

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 16th, 2011 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 12/16/11 08:03 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: I gotta say I'm impressed with the feedback. Very impressed. But here's round two:

serious as3 problems or anyone: Should be a developers forum I think although I wouldn't mind if the rules were relaxed a little bit.

games factory: I don't care if people use. I am personally not interested in it. I don't care if people ask questions about it.

renamed actionscript: Maybe. I wouldn't mind but I never come to talk about the flash authoring tool. Maybe some people do? Im not sure.

other forums: SFSC, FGL, Twitter, Stackoverflow

opinion of the forum now: It's pretty flimsy. The people here are great. I just wish we had more of them. I think the problem is that newgrounds isn't really what people think of when they think about flash development anymore. I'm not sure if the flash scene in general is just shrinking. There are more outlets for development now. Kids are much more interested in building for their android or iphone and most of them probably have never even heard of newgrounds. Obviously as people get older they get jobs which is what has happened with a lot of people here. This is all just speculation. I really don't know.

How to improve? I'm not really sure if theres a solution honestly. I will always be hanging around here though. So once the rest of you all leave I'll just sit in here and talk to myself.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 05:14 AM Reply

At 12/16/11 08:03 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Do you want this forum to become for cereal AS3 problems or for anyone?

I hate restrictions like that, and I think that questions even distantly regarding Flash or Actionscript should be allowed (Even just theory, where actionscript isn't directly involved).
The only problem I have is that people post stupid questions, in the sense that they're either a Google search away, or it has been posted in the Read Me post/there are tutorials here on NG for it.

So anyone, but somehow making it clear on how to ask, and most importantly how to find stuff out yourself.

Personally don't like it, can't help thinking that it's cheating. And because of that I don't really support it, though in the end it is the final result that matters...

Flash to me refers to the platform, not IDE, so I think keeping Flash is okay...though again, maybe in brackets put Actionscript/Haxe or something, otherwise we have some animator dudes creep up here.

Flashkit.com/Kirupa.com (But those places have pretty much died out. When they were active, they were awesome full of experienced peeps). I'll admit, I originally came here to just relax and troll when I'm bored, but apparently NG isn't in that bad of a shape :)

Meh. Like Bruce (or someone pretty much like him) said, there are awesome people here, just not too many of them. I think if all of the awesome people would start posting about there projects, and post threads not asking questions, but documenting certain effects they've been working on, etc. (Like we had a discussion about A* and pathfinding; that deserves it's own thread imo)
And referring back to my first answer, there are a lot of kiddies and other people who don't understand what a forum is for, and what Google is for...

How could we improve?

Besides changing the title, and maybe somehow enforcing that stupid question thing (I have no idea how, so far I do respond with my sarcasm and pessimism or whatever, maybe more frequent thread deletion, and then sending a PM to read the rules etc.)

Otherwise, this is a forum. Don't pull a Chronamut and think that everything needs improving, that doing something will make things better. It's all just about being active, and trying to raise a community. Maybe start mentioning at the end of posts for the people to stick around and help others after you help them.

P.

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 07:19 AM Reply

I know I'm a bit behind (I've had work to do), don't hate me!

Name

Liam O'Brien

Preferred Language

AS3

Worse Language

AS2? Not because I'm bad at it but because last time I had to code in AS2 I cried a little.

Current Career

Programming Student

Ideal Career

Games Developer (likely in a small independent)

How did you get into Flash?

My school computers had Flash MX on them, and I started there. Seeing tutorials on Newgrounds pushed me to learning programming.

Your opinion of Flash

Meh. Its browser dominance makes it a great tool for getting stuff out there, but it's far from the best in its category.

is Flash a career or a hobby

For me at the moment, hobby. But I believe it can be a full career and I certainly wouldn't mind making it such for me.

Round 2

Having it accessible for anyone would be nice, but I would certainly like to see more serious problems running around (not that I look much these days anyway). Ideally, you'd have ranks of ActionScript programmers helping here so the 'lower ranks' would sort out everyday problems and the 'higher ranks' would be around to help with the big problems

I haven't looked at it much, but I like the idea. People making games and learning how to make games is always a plus in my book, even if they are limited by the toolset. I reckon that, like people who move from AS2 to AS3 to haXe to Unity to whatever, people's desire to make better games will push them to move to better tools, so getting them interested at the low entry level of Games Factory is something I consider a good thing.

It would help remove some confusion I suppose. Not that passionate either way.

On Newgrounds, I often pop into Clubs & Crews, but I rarely post. On other websites, I just lurk.

At the moment, I only really care for the conversations going on in the Reg Lounge. The questions seem to pile up endlessly, and I've stopped reading the titles of new threads and have no care for what's being asked inside them. It just seems that a question answered is more trying to shift a pile of rocks than fixing a problem - just boring labour. And one doesn't feel like they're doing much because plenty of other people could have answered those questions - just one person in the workforce.

How could we improve?

I'm not sure. Like many chemical reactions, the negative trends I think are around probably can't be reversed, and working out how to move forward is tough. I'm not even sure if the question askers perceive a problem because I never visit the threads - I don't know how many questions are being answered correctly or anything like that. If they don't perceive a problem, then the forum is doing its job and I can rest easy knowing that I'm not needed, as disheartening as that may be.
P.S. I love puzzles and challenges - even if I don't get involved in many, I would like to see more!

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 08:25 AM Reply

At 12/14/11 07:59 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: The Flash Forum Today

Ok guys, it's census time.

Oops, a little late! D:

Please answer the following:

Okay.

Name

Sanjeev

Preferred Language

AS2

Worse Language

Anything but AS3 and AS2

Current Career

Student in HS

Ideal Career

I haven't decided yet D:

How did you get into Flash?

When my brother introduced me to it

Your opinion of Flash

It's good.

is Flash a career or a hobby

Ideally I'd like to have it as a career, but for now it's a hobby.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 08:29 AM Reply

At 12/16/11 08:03 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: I gotta say I'm impressed with the feedback. Very impressed. But here's round two:

For anyone. I wouldn't want it to turn to problems for AS3 only.

I don't really like it much.

Not really.

General, Clubs and Crews, Where is/How to?, Writing, Collaboration and NG News. But if you're talking about forums not related to NG, then none other.

Good.

How could we improve?

Maybe by not saying "AS3 is better" for everything not related to as2? I haven't really had problems, though, so I'm not complaining.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Every week it's the same thing. Someone asking about removeChild problems, audio settings, missing }, etc. Maybe there should be a stickied list of common problems, then more complex problems and discussions as their own threads.

I started out with TGF2, but the free NG version doesn't allow for for loops. I personally don't like the visual programming, but it's prolly very helpful to others.

Depends on what you want the forum to be about. If it's all about coding, then Actionscript/Haxe; but if it also includes working with the IDE, then maybe Flash Pro/ActionScript/Haxe or whatever.

NAPE forums, mainly because I'm playing with it to figure out its possibilities at the moment.

We have some good discussions in the reg lounge, like the whole AI discussion. It'd be cool to have more. I agree with P about everyone posting more about their current projects and whatnot.

Handling the minor questions in one big READMEFIRST sticky. Encourage more higher level discussions.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 12/17/11 04:25 PM, MSGhero wrote: NAPE forums, mainly because I'm playing with it to figure out its possibilities at the moment.

Nape is awesome.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 05:43 PM Reply

HEY guys doing ludum dare! cant' talk. heres video update. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_hWIKHgY hI

goodbye!

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 17th, 2011 @ 07:00 PM Reply

Travis

AS3 or JAVA

AS2

Student

Programming/ Game Programming

the drive to create games and online tutorials.

Flash is cool, good way to play free games online.

Hobby, but also make money off of it.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 12:21 AM Reply

At 12/17/11 05:33 PM, Sam wrote: Nape is awesome.

What is something awesome that you've done or seen with Nape? Like, I saw a bridge created in box2d earlier today and destructible terrain earlier this week, and I didn't know boxnape could do cool stuff like that.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 03:39 AM Reply

At 12/18/11 12:21 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 12/17/11 05:33 PM, Sam wrote: Nape is awesome.
What is something awesome that you've done or seen with Nape? Like, I saw a bridge created in box2d earlier today and destructible terrain earlier this week, and I didn't know boxnape could do cool stuff like that.

I tinkered with a few physics engines about 4 months back. Box2D - whilst seemed much more powerful than other engines, was much too complex to set up basic scenes (which was what I intended to do at the time). I also used APE, however, it was discontinued and lacked pretty essential methods you'd expect in a physics engine. There were some third party solutions to them, additions to classes and such, but even so, documentation and support was minimal.

I don't remember how I stumbled upon NAPE - perhaps Delta posting here - but the set up was extremely easy and understandable, the documentation is brilliant considering it's a one man development team and the demos Delta posts really surprised me at first in terms of the speed and functionality.

Personally, I haven't done anything great with it and I did it mainly as research but with each revision, Delta shows off new demos:

http://deltaluca.me.uk/docnew/swf/WaterB alls.html

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 03:17 PM Reply

I don't really see a bright future for this place. While it never has really been a place for "serious" problems, it always used to be a reliable source for getting real help from knowledgeable people, but at a certain point I noticed that it wasn't so helpful anymore... Maybe it was because I had more experience under my belt or because the quality of the users regularly visiting the forum degraded, but there certainly was something keeping me from going back to the Flash forum for help.

It's more of a place for beginners to discuss common problems with each other, not a place to ask for serious help about more in-depth programming issues.

I'd love to have a place where anyone could come for help (so the beginners would get help from the more experienced users browsing the same forum), but there'd have to be an even mix of users--a forum dominated by beginner questions and beginner users simply isn't very attractive.

Don't even get me started... I strongly disapprove.

Yes.

None.

The only useful thread I've seen in a long time is this one.

How could we improve?

Add more sticky help threads and keep a running list of threads in which common problems were addressed.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 12/18/11 03:17 PM, Archawn wrote:
At 12/16/11 08:03 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: How could we improve?
Add more sticky help threads and keep a running list of threads in which common problems were addressed.

Also, outlaw AS2. :D

SantoNinoDeCebu
SantoNinoDeCebu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 04:45 PM Reply

I've lurked around for a fair while on and off now but for some reason.. I've never felt urged to post often.

I don't know to be honest but it's not all gloom and doom. When I check out of flash community forums they aren't any better (Kongregate for example is even more immature)

It's a good introduction to making games. I haven't tried it out myself but I think these game making type packages can be a decent way to get a first taste of making games.

I wouldn't of thought so. flash IDE problems fit in fine here (like accidently hitting the object drawing mode!) not all questions are purely related to scripting.

Stackoverflow and GameDev.net for some real troubleshooting/problem solving. Started hovering around FGL as I sold my first game there but its fairly quiet.

I feel the dick slinging has actually gone down as of late, but sadly that was the only thing making any noise so its ghostly quiet!

How could we improve?

I think mods in here should have ability to sticky threads. A concise list of good links to tutorials/resources around the webs for example or even a code sharing thread . Sometimes I come across something I think is cool that i'd like to share! But there doesn't seem to be a place appropriate to do so.

I also think the barrage of "Use AS3, learn OOP" doesn't help anyone. I don't know AS2 so I just stay away AS2 threads, but if a reply to a help post isn't constructive or helpful, it should at least be polite!

SantoNinoDeCebu
SantoNinoDeCebu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 11/10/11 01:22 PM, PSvils wrote: You know what would be fun? Getting a 3+ programming collab going, where we all make one game. Coordinating everything would be part of the game :D

I think it could be possible with a really good design document, and just good preplanning in dividing work. With yummy OOP, we could each make a piece of the puzzle, and try and fit it together eventually!

IDK, worth a try?

On another note, in an effort to get some happy-hunky-dorey-holding-hand-holding-c ommunity-spirit on the go. I'd be interested in this suggestion!

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 02:51 PM Reply

Hey guys. Check out my finished LD22 entry. http://www.prettymuchbryce.com/ld22

BBS Signature
fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 04:43 PM Reply

I have a half-complete bot war app somewhere.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 02:51 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Hey guys. Check out my finished LD22 entry. http://www.prettymuchbryce.com/ld22

I thoroughly enjoyed that. :)

funkycaveman
funkycaveman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 08:22 AM Reply

At 12/19/11 02:51 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Hey guys. Check out my finished LD22 entry. http://www.prettymuchbryce.com/ld22

interesting concept, well done! :)

Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 06:26 AM Reply

Hai guiys...

Why this place so quiet?

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
larrymcduck
larrymcduck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 07:04 AM Reply

So I have a flash issue. In any browser the game will run slow, but runs fine locally in the flash player. the game is a remake of The Legend of Zelda. Anyone else experience this before? I've looked in a lot of places and found no solution to my problem. I've tried commenting out a lot of code. Luis suggested it may be the music/sounds, so I'll give that a try later today, but if anyone has an idea it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 10:29 PM Reply

I am not a flash regular (I haven't posted here regularly in about three and a half years, I'd say) and nowadays I rarely ever touch flash, however I was lurking here in the flash forum, looking to soak up some nostalgia and seeing this place so quiet when it used to be the second busiest forum on Newgrounds made me feel compelled to take a look at this thread, considering it's where I used to spend my early days on the site. Considering I'm here, I realised that I might as well answer those questions that still apply to me after this time away.

Although I have never personally worked in it or seen the interface of the program, the majority of games I see that have been created using it tend to be pretty generic things that rarely ever feel too polished. As I said above, I haven't seen the interface, but from the look and feel of the games I've seen in the portal using it I assume it's a matter of preset game engines with modifiable art and things such as physics properties.

Although it'd harm my sentimentality regarding it, I think this would be a pretty accurate change for the forum to undergo. Through the decision of splitting all the different aspects of flash the change pretty much makes the discussion of everything other than Actionscript ill-fitting, and as such calling it the flash forum when there are other forums pertaining primarily to subsections of flash just seems ill-fitting and I can imagine it being confusing to outsiders.

In addition, changing the name to Actionscript would likely please the regulars of the programming forum, whom I know at the very least used to be inundated (well, perhaps that's a slight exaggeration) with questions asking about actionscript despite the forum's description stating otherwise - by having a forum specifically dedicated to Actionscript I'm sure that less people would post in the wrong place due to confusion regarding the names.

If we're talking the other boards on Newgrounds, I primarily post on Clubs & Crews, General and Video Games, however I spend a lot of time lurking on Where is/How to? and a fair deal of time on Politics, just reading but never posting lest I make myself look like a bit of a cock considering despite being interested I'm not the best political commentator around.

If we're talking off of Newgrounds, in my times of inactivity from here I tend to lurk a few chanboards; despite the negative stereotype of their users there is actually a lot of interesting discussion, it's just under the surface somewhat.

I think that the flash forum, as it stands, is past its prime. I think the main reason for this is the fact that when individual forum for animation was created the previously unified flash forum began to separate from each other, causing less communication between the two sides of production, thus causing this thread to begin to lose activity and members. When members checked in here, they'd usually pass through the flash forum and if they saw anyone experiencing issues that they can help with then they would help out the person who is having the problem, and you can see now from the slower rate of questions being answered that this is definitely the case.

Along with that, the existence of collaborations in a separate forum means that unless you check up in there regularly you're less likely to end up hearing about a particular collab, and with less ideas going between members of the flash forum community (that seems, even all amalgamated together, to be smaller than the single flash forum of the past) I can imagine that even with a separate forum there will be less (successful) collaborations being created.

Admittedly, at the time I was fully in favour of the forum being separated, but looking at the flash forum in the rather quiet state it seems to be in nowadays looking at the most recent page and of this thread, I don't think as a whole it paid off. As a whole, it just seems to be a little bit more clutter on the main BBS page and needless separation.

How could we improve?

Although I acknowledge that it's unlikely to happen (to say the least) and that many people are likely to disagree with me, I think that a re-merging of the forum into one unified central flash forum would be a good step. Of course, nowadays I'm an outsider and my knowledge of the flash forum is based on the positive visions seen via my rose-tinted nostalgia goggles, but from what I've seen I think that'd be a start towards bringing this place back.

That's all for what is likely to be my first (and last) post in this thread since I was eleven. Off I go, now, although I intend to lurk a bit more to see the responses of a few other people to this questioning, especially if there are people whom I remember from my time here doing so (unlikely, most seem to have moved on long ago).

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:14 AM Reply

Probably refocusing the forum on game development or general software development is best, concerning returning any activity or relevance.

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 12/22/11 09:14 AM, fixplz wrote: Probably refocusing the forum on game development or general software development is best, concerning returning any activity or relevance.

Actually, that's an interesting point. If we rename the forum "Actionscript", we'll not be promoting the already overlooked feature of the forum that is game design discussions, beta-testing and the like. However, it may be an increased focus on these things could breathe new life into the Flash forums. Maybe.

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:36 PM Reply

Hey, congrats on getting mentioned on IndieGames.com! (third paragraph down)

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 22nd, 2011 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 12/22/11 07:36 PM, Doomsday-One wrote:
Hey guys. Check out my finished LD22 entry. http://www.prettymuchbryce.com/ld22
Hey, congrats on getting mentioned on IndieGames.com! (third paragraph down)

Hey neat thanks! I didn't realize that they put that on there.

BBS Signature