MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 10:59:16 Reply

My concept art for the RPG that's mostly done in code that I found and artist for. He's better than I am, thankfully

It only had a few colors to choose from...

I'll post a screenie later of the other RPG that's like 95% done and HOPEFULLY coming out this month.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 11:01:00 Reply

At 3/3/13 01:32 AM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I have a proposition.

i like the screenshot once a month thing. ill see what i can find later

None

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 11:14:41 Reply

At 3/3/13 10:51 AM, Rustygames wrote: Most of the efficiency would be lost unless the heuristic takes into account that level change. And since that all depends on where the stairs are it's not as straightforward as it may sound. You're right A* will solve the problem, I'm just worried about how quickly it will solve it :)

But what's so different about a level change? If there's a cost to it, you just add that to a stair cases tile cost. Like...I don't get what you mean :D You just give stairs a certain heuristic.

P.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 11:21:03 Reply

At 3/3/13 11:14 AM, PSvils wrote:
At 3/3/13 10:51 AM, Rustygames wrote: Most of the efficiency would be lost unless the heuristic takes into account that level change. And since that all depends on where the stairs are it's not as straightforward as it may sound. You're right A* will solve the problem, I'm just worried about how quickly it will solve it :)
But what's so different about a level change? If there's a cost to it, you just add that to a stair cases tile cost. Like...I don't get what you mean :D You just give stairs a certain heuristic.

P.

And what would that certain heuristic be? :)
I'm using Manhattan for the heuristic at the moment, which obviously only works if you are on the same level.

I wish I had the source here, I would just knock it up again but I'm busy on other stuff today :(

This will honestly have to wait until Tuesday because I'm thinking it difficult to explain without the swf/code examples to back it up

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 11:40:50 Reply

At 3/3/13 11:21 AM, Rustygames wrote: This will honestly have to wait until Tuesday because I'm thinking it difficult to explain without the swf/code examples to back it up

Where's your amazing engine NC? Flying out there on a magic carpet in Pakistan?

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 12:06:13 Reply

At 3/3/13 11:40 AM, Toast wrote:
At 3/3/13 11:21 AM, Rustygames wrote: This will honestly have to wait until Tuesday because I'm thinking it difficult to explain without the swf/code examples to back it up
Where's your amazing engine NC? Flying out there on a magic carpet in Pakistan?

Oh god that's an old one. I can't even remember what that was about... An Inglor thing?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 12:30:25 Reply

At 3/3/13 11:21 AM, Rustygames wrote: And what would that certain heuristic be? :)
I'm using Manhattan for the heuristic at the moment, which obviously only works if you are on the same level.

I wish I had the source here, I would just knock it up again but I'm busy on other stuff today :(

You get to pick what you want to be the cost of changing levels. If it's hard to get up a certain level, than make it a big one, if it's the same as simply walking to the staircase tile, and then keeping on walking on the next level, then the heuristic will be the same as any other tile. What's so different about the staircase tile for you?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 13:20:35 Reply

i've been following the math links :P

the "what are you working on?" sounds like a fun idea, but to be honest I can't effectively show what i'm doing ATM. It's a whole lot of backend/engine work with PHP.

uhh... Have some random numbers and two encrypted "test"s?

If anyone's interested, I seeded a blum blum shub with random.org for the numbers, and the tests are two different algorithms: one Rijndael-128 on NOFB mode and one GOST in ECB mode

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 13:27:09 Reply

At 3/3/13 11:21 AM, Rustygames wrote: And what would that certain heuristic be? :)

This will honestly have to wait until Tuesday because I'm thinking it difficult to explain without the swf/code examples to back it up

I think I understand your problem now. You want to pathfind to x,y,level, but the game will go to the x,y of the current level since that's closer than x,y of the next level? I'd say from the start, check if the tile is on the same level. If it's not on the same level, pathfind to the stairs then pathfind from the entry point of the next level to x,y or to the next set of stairs and so on. Push the second path after the first one or however your code works.

Any of you have experience with loading data with the NG api? I don't wanna addChild their savebrowser component (have a custom one), but I don't see how else to get the savefiles.

Current game:

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 13:39:53 Reply

At 3/3/13 01:27 PM, MSGhero wrote: Any of you have experience with loading data with the NG api? I don't wanna addChild their savebrowser component (have a custom one), but I don't see how else to get the savefiles.

?

Iunno, do you need to use the NG API to save and load SharedObjects?

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 13:48:57 Reply

At 3/3/13 01:27 PM, MSGhero wrote:

I think I understand your problem now. You want to pathfind to x,y,level, but the game will go to the x,y of the current level since that's closer than x,y of the next level? I'd say from the start, check if the tile is on the same level. If it's not on the same level, pathfind to the stairs then pathfind from the entry point of the next level to x,y or to the next set of stairs and so on. Push the second path after the first one or however your code works.

Any of you have experience with loading data with the NG api? I don't wanna addChild their savebrowser component (have a custom one), but I don't see how else to get the savefiles.

Current game:

Bingo you got it. That's exactly the problem. Your solution is what I'm going to go for, but if you check my post with the shit MS Paint picture I drew, you'll see there are a couple of problems with that method too.

When I get my hands on the source I started on Friday I'll let you guys know what solution I came up with in the end.

By the way, it would be cool if people posted any working demos they might have. I would but the lobby system isn't done yet so it would be a pain

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 13:55:00 Reply

At 3/3/13 01:39 PM, egg82 wrote: ?

Iunno, do you need to use the NG API to save and load SharedObjects?

No, but I'm not using sharedobjs for this. The reference isn't as helpful as I'd like it to be; most of my understanding of the api comes from a readme that came with it. But it only covers loading by clicking inside the provided movieclip rather than getting the files without user interaction.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 14:06:07 Reply

At 3/3/13 01:48 PM, Rustygames wrote: Bingo you got it. That's exactly the problem. Your solution is what I'm going to go for, but if you check my post with the shit MS Paint picture I drew, you'll see there are a couple of problems with that method too.

You get the estimated heuristic by getting the shortest distance, aka, you cycle through all staircases, get the distance from each staircase to your current point, and the distance to the goal on level 2 summed. The shortest distance between all staircases should be your estimated heuristic.
Then proceed as you normally would.
(The more levels you have between the 2 goals, the estimated heuristic calculation will get exponentially longer to calculate: level1Doors * level2Doors * ... * levelNDoors)

P.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 14:58:13 Reply

I have to respond to the awesome screenshots.

PSVils This looks really cool. I have heard of Ogre. What do you think of it so far ? I probably don't have enough time at the moment to give you the help you deserve. :[ I'll shoot you a PM if that changes, though.

FlyingColours Don't be so hard on yourself. This looks like a cool little strategy game. I don't think I could do any better. It looks like you're still prototyping. So have at it!

Rusty This looks absolutely epic. When do we get to play it ?

MsGhero I love the artstyle. Did you do the art? I have a soft spot for 16-bit lookin adventurey games with dialogue like that.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 15:03:27 Reply

At 3/3/13 01:55 PM, MSGhero wrote: No, but I'm not using sharedobjs for this. The reference isn't as helpful as I'd like it to be; most of my understanding of the api comes from a readme that came with it. But it only covers loading by clicking inside the provided movieclip rather than getting the files without user interaction.

yeah, I want to say the NG API puts an encryption on the SO. For obvious reasons, we can't have the key.
well, either you're using SOs, URLLoaders, or AIR. Those are your options when it comes to saving data with AS3.

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 15:23:14 Reply

At 3/3/13 02:06 PM, PSvils wrote:
At 3/3/13 01:48 PM, Rustygames wrote: Bingo you got it. That's exactly the problem. Your solution is what I'm going to go for, but if you check my post with the shit MS Paint picture I drew, you'll see there are a couple of problems with that method too.
You get the estimated heuristic by getting the shortest distance, aka, you cycle through all staircases, get the distance from each staircase to your current point, and the distance to the goal on level 2 summed. The shortest distance between all staircases should be your estimated heuristic.
Then proceed as you normally would.
(The more levels you have between the 2 goals, the estimated heuristic calculation will get exponentially longer to calculate: level1Doors * level2Doors * ... * levelNDoors)

P.

It's a good plan. It still won't solve the problem I illustrated where you go up and then down again to get to the target fastest, but I think level design will be the easiest way to solve that. I'll try your suggestion and I expect that will yield better results that my initial thought of splitting the path into 2 for stairs. Thanks for the help dude, I'll let you know how I get on with it :)

At 3/3/13 02:58 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I have to respond to the awesome screenshots.

PSVils This looks really cool. I have heard of Ogre. What do you think of it so far ? I probably don't have enough time at the moment to give you the help you deserve. :[ I'll shoot you a PM if that changes, though.

FlyingColours Don't be so hard on yourself. This looks like a cool little strategy game. I don't think I could do any better. It looks like you're still prototyping. So have at it!

Rusty This looks absolutely epic. When do we get to play it ?

MsGhero I love the artstyle. Did you do the art? I have a soft spot for 16-bit lookin adventurey games with dialogue like that.

The card game itself is nearing completion, but there is a whole world of pain ahead with all the external API's (Facebook, Kongregate etc) and the "world" around the cards. I really hope to finally get this thing in the hands of the players in a month or two. Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate that :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 15:28:14 Reply

At 3/3/13 02:58 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Did you do the art? I have a soft spot for 16-bit lookin adventurey games with dialogue like that.

Ha...good one. I'll let the actual artist know you said that

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 16:36:13 Reply

At 3/3/13 07:16 AM, Rustygames wrote: I will illustrate all of this in a crudely drawn diagram drawn in MSPaint :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/fe9ee81a2b058e73af16d812 a7aa8a89

I don't exactly see the problem here, try not thinking of the pathfinding visually like that and just think of it as a bunch of nodes connected together. If you need a heuristic just like, x distance + y distance + level distance*10. Play around with it, if its very unlikely that a path goes between levels then just consider transferring levels as a lot more expensive.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 16:58:23 Reply

At 3/3/13 04:36 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 3/3/13 07:16 AM, Rustygames wrote: I will illustrate all of this in a crudely drawn diagram drawn in MSPaint :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/fe9ee81a2b058e73af16d812 a7aa8a89
I don't exactly see the problem here, try not thinking of the pathfinding visually like that and just think of it as a bunch of nodes connected together. If you need a heuristic just like, x distance + y distance + level distance*10. Play around with it, if its very unlikely that a path goes between levels then just consider transferring levels as a lot more expensive.

It's one tactic, but that will encourage the path to get off the level as soon as possible which, as in the example with some "blocked" second level paths (where a set of stairs leads to a part of the right level which cannot reach the goal) could slow things down a lot. Depending on the size of the map and the level design this could be fine of course.

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 18:03:03 Reply

At 3/3/13 04:58 PM, Rustygames wrote: It's one tactic, but that will encourage the path to get off the level as soon as possible which, as in the example with some "blocked" second level paths (where a set of stairs leads to a part of the right level which cannot reach the goal) could slow things down a lot. Depending on the size of the map and the level design this could be fine of course.

I really don't think you'll run into any speed issues with this unless your map is like, 100 levels of 1000x1000. Is your goal static or does it move around a lot / does the map change a lot?

Also, increasing the cost of moving up stairs means it will check the stairs later, not earlier

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 18:39:47 Reply

At 3/3/13 06:03 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 3/3/13 04:58 PM, Rustygames wrote: It's one tactic, but that will encourage the path to get off the level as soon as possible which, as in the example with some "blocked" second level paths (where a set of stairs leads to a part of the right level which cannot reach the goal) could slow things down a lot. Depending on the size of the map and the level design this could be fine of course.
I really don't think you'll run into any speed issues with this unless your map is like, 100 levels of 1000x1000. Is your goal static or does it move around a lot / does the map change a lot?

Also, increasing the cost of moving up stairs means it will check the stairs later, not earlier

You said have a high cost for being on a different level. That would mean it goes up stairs earlier.

I don't know if you've used grid based path finding much in the past, but if you're using it every time the player clicks, and you're on say, a 25x25 grid (x2 levels), with minimum walls, the calculation times start to add up. Of course it will always find the path, I'm just pondering the quickest way to do that. Maybe I'm worrying too much

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 19:51:05 Reply

At 3/3/13 06:39 PM, Rustygames wrote: You said have a high cost for being on a different level. That would mean it goes up stairs earlier.

That would be high priority, high cost is the opposite.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-03 20:01:57 Reply

also if 25x25x2 is causing noticeable slowdown for you, you might want to go take a look at hour you're using your data structures, since I can usually brute-force a tilemap that small without much performance cost at all.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 07:36:21 Reply

If everybody's posting their projects, I'll go ahead. I'm making a rhythm baseball game. I don't have any screen shots yet as I have only been working on it for 2 days. so here's the character sprites.

I actually think I can get a playable demo today.

the animations respectively are: run[1-8] duck[9,10] slide[11,12] jump[13] swing[14-18].

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

flashMan
flashMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 11:44:07 Reply

omg you work for newgrounds

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 11:48:11 Reply

At 3/4/13 11:39 AM, Luis wrote:
At 3/4/13 07:36 AM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote:
i like the color scheme and facial expressions. NEAT.

Havent been doing much Flash stuff lately. I've been wrapping my head around streamlining a mobile version of this website. here's an unrevealing landing page.

*edited Heres an actual Flash game I AM working on. It was supposed to be done a month ago! weee.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

None

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 12:31:41 Reply

At 3/4/13 11:48 AM, Luis wrote:

I didn't draw these, but yeah my artist draws amazing mouths.

*edited Heres an actual Flash game I AM working on. It was supposed to be done a month ago! weee.

talk about nice color schemes. looks interesting.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 12:34:25 Reply

At 3/4/13 12:31 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote:
At 3/4/13 11:48 AM, Luis wrote:
I didn't draw these, but yeah my artist draws amazing mouths.

talk about nice color schemes. looks interesting.

who's your artist anyway. im nosy.

None

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 12:54:45 Reply

At 3/4/13 11:48 AM, Luis wrote: *edited Heres an actual Flash game I AM working on. It was supposed to be done a month ago! weee.

That looks sick!

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-04 15:02:57 Reply

Rusty's game looks pretty interesting in particular but really, everybody seems to be being productive and making cool things.

Jealousy.

nobody