00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Honey1200 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Progressive Rock Club

42,036 Views | 407 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-03-28 14:50:10

At 6/3/06 04:28 PM, 2112 wrote: So,you need to tell your favorite prog-bands and you're in.

Ok Then:

Genesis, King Crimson, Devin Townsend, Ayreon, Area, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah, Death/Control Denied, ELP, Frank Zappa, Opeth, Pink Floyd... and probably a lot more but now I can't remember all of them!

"The message is: there is no message"

My new EP is out!

Bandcamp

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-03-28 14:51:56

At 3/22/15 08:02 PM, NyxTheShield wrote: No love for Porcupine Tree/Wilson .c?

I'm not a big fan, like a bit some of the PT stuff and don't like most of Wilson solo albums. Hand.Cannot.Erase was good.

My new EP is out!

Bandcamp

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-03-28 19:02:27

At 3/28/15 02:50 PM, AnOrdinaryVision wrote:
At 6/3/06 04:28 PM, 2112 wrote: So,you need to tell your favorite prog-bands and you're in.
Ok Then:

Genesis, King Crimson, Devin Townsend, Ayreon, Area, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Animals As Leaders, Meshuggah, Death/Control Denied, ELP, Frank Zappa, Opeth, Pink Floyd... and probably a lot more but now I can't remember all of them!

Do Devin Townsend, Animals As Leaders, and Death/Control Denied count since they'd be technically Prog Metal? And Death's stuff is almost completely JUST Death Metal.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-03-28 21:27:24 (edited 2015-03-28 21:37:38)

At 3/28/15 07:02 PM, Viper wrote: Do Devin Townsend, Animals As Leaders, and Death/Control Denied count since they'd be technically Prog Metal? And Death's stuff is almost completely JUST Death Metal.

Maybe you're right about Death (even if they incorpore some elements from other genres which make them more proggy than lots of other Death Metal bands), but both Devin Townsend and Animals as Leaders made stuff that is not really that metal (especially Ki and Ghost from Devin Townsend Project and Weightless from AAL).

And honestly, just how thin is the line which divides modern prog rock and prog metal? Porcupine Tree and Tool has lots of metal elements, but they are most considerated prog rock. Opeth's stuff is almost ALL Death Metal, but they're also accepted as prog rock. I just like to call these artists and bands as "prog", especially when we're talking about people like Devin Townsend.

My new EP is out!

Bandcamp

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-03-28 23:21:40

At 3/28/15 09:27 PM, AnOrdinaryVision wrote: Maybe you're right about Death (even if they incorporate some elements from other genres which make them more proggy than lots of other Death Metal bands),

Thats true. Especially in The Sound Of Perseverance.

but both Devin Townsend and Animals as Leaders made stuff that is not really that metal (especially Ki and Ghost from Devin Townsend Project and Weightless from AAL).

Well when it comes to Devin Townsend I mostly listen to Strapping Young Lad and pretty much don't even listen to AAL.

And honestly, just how thin is the line which divides modern prog rock and prog metal? Porcupine Tree and Tool has lots of metal elements, but they are most considerated prog rock.

When it comes to Tool it's really hard to tie them down to one genre. And I say this and I'm not exactly the biggest Tool fan. But while they DO have metal moments I'd honestly mostly see them as Prog Rock.

Opeth's stuff is almost ALL Death Metal, but they're also accepted as prog rock. I just like to call these artists and bands as "prog", especially when we're talking about people like Devin Townsend.

I'd personally say that Opeth are pretty much JUST Prog. Rock now. Their last few albums have had very few legit heavy metal moments and more King Crimson or Pink Floyd-like moments.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-04-02 16:53:29

Gotta give props to The Contortionist. Dope band. Myrath is also fairly progressive.

7 Seconds to the Mars Volta

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-05-13 00:34:08

At 5/12/15 02:17 PM, KameratMagVesHa wrote:
At 3/22/15 08:02 PM, NyxTheShield wrote: No love for Porcupine Tree/Wilson .c?
He/they is/are one of my favorite artists/bands!

I got to watch him perform this Saturday in Chile.

Went broke but it was worth every penny, amazing performance, pretty cool guy.

Also, he played How is Your Life Today for the first time ever live <3

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-05-13 00:36:36

Anyone here listen to Cherry Five (Goblin)?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-06-28 12:01:56 (edited 2015-06-28 12:05:35)

RIP Chris Squire (bassist for Yes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xx5pzHDlY

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-06-30 17:58:42

At 5/13/15 12:36 AM, Viper wrote: Anyone here listen to Cherry Five (Goblin)?

I have heard some of there stuff, and its not bad.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2015-07-10 06:56:06

Last week we have done some live recordings with my band where we've been playing some King Crimson, Banco del Mutuo soccorso, and PFM. Thought some of you may like it.

21st Century Schizoid Man/Starless Medley

I'll post other stuff later.

My new EP is out!

Bandcamp

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2017-06-25 20:18:52

"...to a former life in a distant world in another time"

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2019-10-03 12:04:48

Holy smokes! I've just found out that this thread exists. Aaaand... it's pretty much dead by now. ;_;

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2021-02-18 17:11:23

I like Zappa's "One Size Fits All" album, along with some of his others. I also enjoy Gong's "I Never Glid Before". Some of the harder bands like Rush I could never get into but I still respect, however I do enjoy Yes.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2021-02-19 13:29:49

At 2/18/21 05:11 PM, InvasionOfTheDawgs wrote: I like Zappa's "One Size Fits All" album, along with some of his others.

I have to admit, Zappa is one artist I've never given a fair chance for and I think it's criminal of myself to be like that. I remember listening to one of his albums many years back but wasn't hooked on it.

I also enjoy Gong's "I Never Glid Before".

Only have Flying Teapot from them which is a really good album and could do with throwing the CD on again soon.

however I do enjoy Yes.

Classic prog band! Countless amount of classic releases from them in the 70s and some stand out well from their 80s work. I'm glad I've seen them live for their Fragile/Drama tour.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2023-04-11 19:08:18

This is a stunning Italian prog epic.

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2023-07-17 14:39:06

Hihi. Just listens to ruins. Not a very popular prog band but apperently they have this thing called sax ruins that is all their songs but with saxophone replacing most of the instruments... I gotta say the sax version of blimmguass is my favorite song of theirs.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2023-07-17 14:43:58

At 5/13/15 12:36 AM, Viper wrote: Anyone here listen to Cherry Five (Goblin)?

I do. I think country graveyard is one of their best songs! I dont really listen to them as much as some other bands but theyre defenetly cool!