00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Progressive Rock Club

41,986 Views | 407 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-11 16:43:38

At 9/11/06 04:26 PM, 1 wrote: I'm in a complete Prog Stage at the moment, so I'm in with this.

Look at my profile... Full of Prog.

Snakes on a Plane is well Prog.

At 9/11/06 04:30 PM, Frenzy wrote:
Does Godspeed You! Black Emporer count as Progressive Rock? If so, I'm in!
Do they?

I can say. I've never heard of them.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-12 14:40:36

At 9/11/06 04:38 PM, DreamTheater wrote: I love it. I'm on a massive Dream Theater binge as you can probably tell.

I've been buying a lot of their records recently. I've got to get train Of Thought or the Score DVD next.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-12 16:25:04

Sorry for beein' un-active,but I forgot NG totally.^^

But yes,Yes is good. I heard my first Yes-song week ago(is it so long?)and I want more!

1,you're in. Welcome,we need more active users,so I hope you're active person.^^

And to other guys,nice to see you again and I'm glad,that we reached to fifth page(dunno is it sarcasm,or not...)

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-13 11:38:04

At 9/12/06 02:40 PM, 1 wrote:
At 9/11/06 04:38 PM, DreamTheater wrote: I love it. I'm on a massive Dream Theater binge as you can probably tell.
I've been buying a lot of their records recently. I've got to get train Of Thought or the Score DVD next.

I bought the Score album, it's great. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence live is just mindblowing. My favourite has to be Under a Glass Moon though.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-13 15:35:48

At 9/13/06 11:38 AM, DreamTheater wrote: I bought the Score album, it's great. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence live is just mindblowing.

I love the "VI: Solitary Shell" part from that song. It's awesome.
I kinda wish they packaged the CD with the DVD though, means paying double...

The first disc on the album of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is pretty good too. Some stranger material on there.

I got "Awake" and "Images And Words", their earlier stuff, but I certainly find the newer DT material more preferable. Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory are both great albums.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-13 15:47:29

i'm still yet to get into Dream Theatre. What would you guys recommend as a starting album(s). I have Liquid Tension Experiements second album which is ace, i like Petrucci (or however its spelt), he's a metal guitarist who has the magic combination of being really talented and fast but without sounding shit and being repetetive and he doesn't waste time with constant boring shredding.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-13 15:53:15

At 9/13/06 03:35 PM, 1 wrote: I got "Awake" and "Images And Words", their earlier stuff, but I certainly find the newer DT material more preferable. Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory are both great albums.

I'm not that keen on new DT. I'm not a fan of Jodans style of keyboarding. I much prefered Kevin Moore. When Kevin was about Petrucci played heavy and brilliantly... lots of amazing riffs and stuff. Derek Sherinian was great too. Shame they replaced him. I wouldn't have replaced the keyboardist that played on A Change of Seasons.

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-13 17:06:44

At 9/13/06 03:35 PM, 1 wrote: I got "Awake" and "Images And Words", their earlier stuff, but I certainly find the newer DT material more preferable. Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory are both great albums.

I have Images and Words and Octavarium. Octavarium is like... it's just great. These Walls gets me everytime. About 2 hours ago, I ordered Scenes from a Memory, Awake and A Change of Seasons... can't wait.

At 9/13/06 03:47 PM, areyoureadyEddie wrote: i'm still yet to get into Dream Theatre. What would you guys recommend as a starting album(s).

I bought Octavarium on impulse and loved it after a couple of listens. It's got a more modern sound than the older stuff (what i've heard anyway), I can't really describe it any other way. Images and Words is another great album, it's one of their older albums and took me longer to get into but is great nonetheless. I'd recommend those two.

At 9/13/06 03:53 PM, Nev wrote: I'm not that keen on new DT. I'm not a fan of Jodans style of keyboarding. I much prefered Kevin Moore.

Judging on the 2 albums I have, I prefer the new DT style of keyboarding, although i'm sure as I get more of their material my mind will probably change... who knows.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-14 17:10:22

At 9/13/06 03:47 PM, areyoureadyEddie wrote: i'm still yet to get into Dream Theatre. What would you guys recommend as a starting album(s).

Their masterpiece is widely regared as "Metropolis Pt. II : Scenes From A Memory". The instrumentals are awesome and it's pretty cheap now. I say go for that and then try Octavarium.

They're quite different sounding, but both amazing in their own right.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-14 17:16:28

At 9/14/06 05:10 PM, 1 wrote: Their masterpiece is widely regared as "Metropolis Pt. II : Scenes From A Memory". The instrumentals are awesome and it's pretty cheap now. I say go for that and then try Octavarium.

Personally I suggest Images and Words. Its Dream Theater... but its also catchy and very assessible.

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-15 11:12:21

I'm so pissed off... my deliveries should have been here today... They'd best be here tomorrow or i'll cry!
I ordered:

The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Dream Theater - Metropolis pt2: Scenes From a Memory
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
Dream Theater - Awake

I got home today and was ready to have a right good old binge... but no, they haven't arrived.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-16 06:51:41

At 9/15/06 11:12 AM, DreamTheater wrote: I'm so pissed off... my deliveries should have been here today... They'd best be here tomorrow or i'll cry!
I ordered:

The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Dream Theater - Metropolis pt2: Scenes From a Memory
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
Dream Theater - Awake

I got home today and was ready to have a right good old binge... but no, they haven't arrived.

THEY ALL ARRIVED TODAY! I've just listened through 'A Change of Seasons' and it's fucking immense. Listening to 6:00 at the moment, sounds pretty good :p

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-19 12:13:06

Anyone here? If so I have a budding question.

Are MUSE prog? Discuss.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-19 12:18:11

At 9/19/06 12:13 PM, DreamTheater wrote: Are MUSE prog? Discuss.

Yes. Why, cause they're experimental and different.

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-19 12:39:58

At 9/14/06 05:10 PM, 1 wrote:
Their masterpiece is widely regared as "Metropolis Pt. II : Scenes From A Memory". The instrumentals are awesome and it's pretty cheap now. I say go for that and then try Octavarium.

They're quite different sounding, but both amazing in their own right.

i'd prefer to start at the beggining so i'll start with "Images and Words", that way i can hear the band progressing.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-19 15:01:25

At 9/19/06 12:18 PM, Nev wrote:

True, but would you really say their songs are varied enough throughout to be prog? I suppose it's arguable. I just find a lot of their well known songs are relatively linear, but maybe that's just me. I'm not a particularly huge Muse fan.

At 9/19/06 12:39 PM, areyoureadyEddie wrote: i'd prefer to start at the beggining so i'll start with "Images and Words", that way i can hear the band progressing.

That's probably a good idea, there's a rather big difference from them at the time of Images and Words and the way they are today. You'll love them though. Especially having listened to LTE already and enjoyed it. Although, if anything, LTE 2 is more comparable to DT's more recent stuff. Moral of the story? DT is the sex.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-19 16:24:25

By that rationale, Faith No More are prog.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-20 15:53:01

At 9/19/06 04:24 PM, DreamTheater wrote:
By that rationale, Faith No More are prog.

I wouldn't say they are. Even though the new album has a loose concept, that doesn't make it Prog. All their songs are quite poppy.

I mean, Prog is a huge genre and hardly any Prog bands sound that alike when put next to each other. So I guess everyone has a definition for Prog who listens to it.

I'd just say Muse aren't Prog, but definetely related to it in some way.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-20 15:55:37

So, what does everyone think of Coheed & Cambria?

Their new album's really underappreciated. Well, it has positive reviews and everything, but it's not seen as a breakthrough by many.

Personally, I think it's a masterpiece.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-20 16:09:12

At 9/20/06 03:55 PM, 1 wrote: Personally, I think it's a masterpiece.

I think you're a masterpiece.

And Muse are prog.
Matt Bellamy is a modern musicial genius. Sure they have a poppish and radio friendly element to songs, but the fact remains that Bellamy experiments with instrumentation, textures, melodies and many things. And for that reason Muse are a progressive band.

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-20 18:06:10

At 9/20/06 03:55 PM, 1 wrote: So, what does everyone think of Coheed & Cambria?

Their new album's really underappreciated. Well, it has positive reviews and everything, but it's not seen as a breakthrough by many.

Personally, I think it's a masterpiece.

I think they are immense. The Willing Well 'set' is just great to listen to. Most people knock them because of Claudio Lopez's high pitched vocals but I think he's great.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-22 17:42:32

What does everyone think to Porcupine Tree?

No one's posted in ages :/

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 07:54:48

At 9/22/06 05:42 PM, DreamTheater wrote: What does everyone think to Porcupine Tree?

No one's posted in ages :/

They're one of the best bands EVER. I'm seeing them in a few days, 1st October. I can't wait man, it's going to be immense.

And I've just been told about cheap(er) TOOL tickets, so I really want to go and see them too.

And The Mars Volta obviously, when they come.

I got a couple of Live albums there, Scab Dates by The Mars Volta (something I've been meaning to pick up for ages) and a second hand copy of Dream Theater's "Score" on 3CD. Mint condish. £9. Noice. Score, if you will.

I'll stop babbling.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 07:57:04

At 9/20/06 06:06 PM, DreamTheater wrote: Claudio Lopez's high pitched vocals

XD Sanchez.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 10:18:27

At 9/23/06 07:54 AM, 1 wrote: I got a couple of Live albums there, Scab Dates by The Mars Volta (something I've been meaning to pick up for ages) and a second hand copy of Dream Theater's "Score" on 3CD. Mint condish. £9. Noice. Score, if you will.

I got Score brand new for 13 quid which I thought was quite nice. I've had Scab Dates for a fair while and I rather like it.

At 9/23/06 07:57 AM, 1 wrote:
XD Sanchez.

My football obsession got the better of me -.-

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 10:41:17

At 9/23/06 07:57 AM, 1 wrote:
XD Sanchez.
My football obsession got the better of me -.-

i was going to say

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 10:57:43

Are we allowed to talk about post rock in this club (Godspeed You! Black Emporer, Explosions In the Sky, Mogwai, etc.) if we join this club?

Thanks to the guy you helped me with my GY!BE wuestion before, by the way.

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 11:02:01

I cant believe no one's mentioned Supertramp. also, i'm in

"What is a joke exactly?"

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 11:11:22

I gotta mention Deep Purple too. They kick ass.

"What is a joke exactly?"

BBS Signature

Response to Progressive Rock Club 2006-09-23 11:15:23

At 9/23/06 11:11 AM, AndersonCouncil wrote: I gotta mention Deep Purple too. They kick ass.

Deep Purples discography is... extensive... I didn't realise till the other day how many albums they've released.