00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MssLibitina just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The War Crew

85,752 Views | 1,591 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-30 16:44:42

i know there are some members here that are in the forces and i would like to ask for some advice.in a few years after i finish school or university i was thinking of joining the forces and becoming a medic.do you think this is a good career and what qualifications would you need?

any advice is helpful.thanks in advance.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-30 16:52:43

At 10/30/06 04:44 PM, Misumena wrote: i know there are some members here that are in the forces and i would like to ask for some advice.in a few years after i finish school or university i was thinking of joining the forces and becoming a medic.do you think this is a good career and what qualifications would you need?

My first recommendation is that before jumping in to something, do research. Look at the pay, benefits, possible conflict zones, etc.

Then, when possible, enlist as a Reservist (or National Guardsman in the US).

For Medical, having high school credits in chemistry and biology are a must, and more advanced first aid training helps alot (I'm a trained lifeguard, and a first aid instructor, so I'm a hot commodity).

Priority for Medical Technician spaces goes to people with the highest training (for my unit, being in a program of medical study at university, paramedic at college, or other advanced First Aid training).

Other tips:
Watch the goriest movies you can find, war movies or horror usually. Then realize that as a medic with the army, you'll see stuff like that, or worse, and have to smell it, be drenched in the blood of others, stemming bleeding while enemies shoot at you.

Most importantly, although Medics are "Non-Combattants" under the Geneva Convention, don't think you are the god of the battlefield. Medics can and do get killed or wounded by both enemy and friendly fire.

Anything I didn't touch on that you want to know?

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-30 16:57:43

Pardon the double post. Forgot some things.

At 10/30/06 04:52 PM, Peregrinus wrote: Anything I didn't touch on that you want to know?

Another important thing, speaking objectively, is to enjoy what you do. I love helping people, and I know in my gut that before I die, I'll have saed at least one person's life.

You need to think for yourself what you like doing.

There are many opportunities avaliable in the military. Just the army itself has: Infantry, Armoured (tanks, etc), artillery, medical, dental, signals, logistics, intelligence, weapons/vehicle repair, public relations, journalism, research/planning, etc.

Again, look at what you like to do, and then look into your options. Take time to think about it.

It took me a year and a half of thinking before finally handing in my application form. And I don't regret taking the time.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-30 17:00:07

Also try and join one of the Cadets they should have all the infomation you require. And it would help your application and teach you some basics.

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-30 20:17:18

And if your school has any ROTC classes, then take it to learn more about the military before you even enter any of the forces. I took ROTC in my first two years of high school, the ROTC was the U.S. Marines Corps.

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-31 11:40:42

At 10/29/06 04:44 PM, Peregrinus wrote: Hopefully I won't get shifted out of Medical into Infantry...

TOO LATE LOL!

As I'm about to head out the door for class this morning, I get a call.

"Hello [Peregrinus], this is Master Corporal [Name] from the foot guards. We have 16 slots available, if you're interested. Training starts soon."

So yeah. Basically the medical unit I was applying to had no space, and the infantry (Guards) was my second choice.

Luckily, the first part of training is the same for both units, so I can switch over to the Medical unit if/when they have space.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-31 15:48:27

thats why i'm thinking about it now perigrenus,i want to be a medic for the same reason as you.i want to help people.thanks a lot for the advice it has really helped i will look into grades and qualifications to see what i need if i decide.thanks again.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-10-31 16:00:08

At 10/31/06 03:48 PM, Misumena wrote: thanks again.

Hey, no problem. Hope it works out well for you.

So I went to the armories, and now have a problem with how to fix my hair. I dyed it last week (black with blue tint). Army doesn't like blue, so I have to hope it grows out fast...

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-05 04:06:32

Attention!!! Good news!!!

I have launched The War Crew freewebs page! Right now there isn't much on it but take a look and respond to it. Here is the link: The War Crew freewebs page

By the way, I have also add two links on it which are to the Wii Together forums and my freewebs page, which I need to update a lot. I going to add the link to Newgrounds too, later in the day. Also any officers and head officers will be able to log in and add any information they want and can add any links they like to. So The War Crew is beginning to rise.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-05 05:14:41

I need your help soldiers! We need to choose a Slogan/Tagline for our new site. So in both War Crews, I'm throwing off a contest to see what Slogan/Tagline is the best for the site. So begin throwing out quotes. Here's one from me, "War is an honor that is given to the few."

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-09 12:47:27

At 11/5/06 05:14 AM, GeneralMBison wrote: "War is an honor that is given to the few."

"Diplomacy is like saying 'nice doggy' until you can find a big rock !!"

Or even the title of the following poem:

"Freedom Is Not Free"

I watched the flag pass by one day.
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Airman saluted it,
And then he stood at ease.

I looked at him in uniform,
So young, so tall, so proud;
With hair cut square and eyes alert,
He stood out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him,
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many fox holes were soldiers graves?
No freedom is not free.

I heard Taps sound one night,
When everything was still.
I listened to the bugle play,
And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times,
Taps had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had covered a coffin,
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children
Of the mothers and the wives.
Of the fathers, sons, and husbands,
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard,
At the bottom of the sea,
Of unmarked graves at Arlington.
No, Freedom Is Not Free!

- LCDR Kelly Strong, USCG

Anyways, I did my Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. They don't tell you your score, but I did get a print sheet of the trades I qualified for. All 58 of them. :)

At least it gives me options...

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-09 12:53:15

I was gonna have this as part of my previous post, but went over the character limit...

I found an interesting post on the Army.ca forums. It was quite moving to me. It goes as follows:

October 16, 2006, 02:04:16 by RHFC_piper

It has been 2 month and 2 days since I deployed to Afghanistan, with 8 Platoon, Charles Company, 1 RCR. I was honored, as a reservist augmentee, to be attached to such a great group of probably the best soldiers our country has to offer.

In the three short weeks I was in Afghanistan, I learned more about commitment to my military family than most soldiers learn in a life time. It seemed both unfortunate and amazing that it took battle and blood shed to forge such a strong bond.

It has been 1 month and 12 days since I was wounded and pulled from the battlefield. When I was in the hospital in KAF, I had hoped that I would stay in Afghanistan to recover. Why would I want to stay in such a horrible place that almost claimed my life? I didn’t want to leave my family.

Germany and Toronto (hospitals) were a blur of Morphine, Demerol, Fentanyl, IV lines, wound packing’s, shrapnel removal surgeries, catheters, bad food, and good care. I think back on it and it seems dizzying. But when I close my eyes, only 2 images flash and they take me back to where I’m supposed to be.

I see Panjwayi; the fields of pot. Rockets and bullets. The smell of burning and the heat. Then all I see are the bodies of soldiers I helped carry to the CCP. 2 covered by body bags (WO. Richard Nolan, Sgt. Shane Stachnik) and 2 on stretchers; my platoon warrant (WO Frank Mellish), and a soldiers I new only casually from living in the shacks in Petawawa (Pte.Will Cushley)

While at the CCP I find out that a very close friend (from my reserve home unit) had been wounded by shrapnel from Taliban RPGs. His sections LAV had been left on the battlefield. For a long while, I didn’t know how badly he was wounded. (He’s still over there, thus no names) I’ll never forget the feeling; the sense and fear of loss.
I will never forget those who were lost that day.

I try to think of the good times I was privileged enough to have with my Platoon. WO. Mellish made me the unofficial piper of 8 Platoon, (shortly there after; Coy piper) and I played reveille as per his request (and everyone else’s distain) anytime I was able.
In dreams I still hear him shouting “Piper!!! Black Bear!!”… The last tune I played on my pipes… at panjwayi. (I still don’t have them back)

When I close my eyes, I also see the morning after Panjwayi. Sparks, smoke, fire… then the burp of the main gun of the A-10. I remember the feeling of panic as I crawled for my Weapon and PPE, thinking we were under attack. I can still feel the burning on my legs and back, the shock of thinking my legs were gone.

I can see the faces of the injured… the twice wounded soldiers of Charles. I see the face of the soldier who saved my life by applying tourniquets to my legs and stopping the bleeding from my back and arm… (He will remain nameless for now)

From then, everything’s a blur until I’m back in KAF. I remember asking if everyone was ‘ok’... Reaching from my gurney to other wounded soldiers walking by, trying to peace together what had happened… more confusion. I asked again and again…
Pte. Mark Graham. An inspirational man whom I only really started to get to know shortly before deploying, a brother in our family of warriors, was dead. My heart sank even more.

Our CSM (who was also wounded) came over to me and asked if I was going to be able to play the pipes for the ramp ceremony the following day. I held up my right hand, which was numb, and looked at my fingers. The tips of 2 of them looked like they had been chewed up in a blender. I felt tears run down my face. Not because I thought I’d never play again, but because I couldn’t play for my departed brothers the next day… I would have given both of my hands and more for their lives.

I had hoped to attend the ramp ceremony the next day, even if I couldn’t play, but I couldn’t move my legs and they couldn’t put me in a wheel chair because of the shrapnel in my back. I was sedated that day, and came to on the plane to Germany.

I couldn’t attend any of the funerals of my fallen family, and I feel no closure.

It has been a month and 12 days since I lost my brothers in Panjwayi and it might as well have been yesterday.

When I close my eyes at night I not only see the ones who have paid the ultimate price, but also the ones who are still there… and I feel as though I am betraying them.

My life seems to be dragging me on. My fiancé and I are planning our wedding and future. My family and I get together often. I’ve been able to socialize with my friends… and yet each thing I do here makes me feel guilty, because I shouldn’t be here to enjoy this.

I wake up every day and plan and plot. I think of only one thing; how can I get back to my family… How can I get back to Afghanistan? My wounds are almost healed. Only 3 holes left and they’re almost closed. I can walk pretty well now, but I need to run.

My family and friends don’t understand. They don’t want me to go back. My fiancé has threatened to end our relationship if I chose to return… and yet this doesn’t dissuade me. I have to get back to my boys. I have to get back and do my part no matter the cost to me. I love my family here in Canada, but no one’s shooting at them.

Every time I see more soldiers killed over there a piece of me dies, and I feel the urge to return grow stronger. And each day I enjoy in my freedom here, I feel as though I have betrayed their memory. I need to finish my job over there. I need to go back.

I can only think of the families of those who have died, and I can only say this, and hope it provides some solace:
A warrior’s sword is made from the finest steel, forged by hammer and anvil to create and edge, baptized in hot coals and flame for strength, then quenched in cold water to harden it.

Our brotherhood of Warriors, the finest of men, has been forged by Battle; Baptized by fire and Quenched by tears…

We became and will always be a fraternity of blood with a bond stronger than death.

Pro Patria

I hate to rant, but I need to vent. It’s been a hard road, and I know there are a few others here who have seen it and may or may not feel the same (HoM).

- Piper

And a news story about a friend's friend: Link.

No more characters!

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-09 13:04:07

God I suck at links. Fuck me if this doesn't work, seeing as I checked it this time:

Link to article: "Puss and Boots"

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-09 15:08:53

Whoa Col., those were touching. I like the second one you posted. By the way, the last link does work, just to let ya know.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-09 15:13:08

At 11/9/06 12:47 PM, Peregrinus wrote: "Freedom Is Not Free"

- LCDR Kelly Strong, USCG

Wow! I'll posted this poem in thw freewebs in a special section along with the quotes.

Anyways, I did my Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. They don't tell you your score, but I did get a print sheet of the trades I qualified for. All 58 of them. :)

At least it gives me options...

Cool, congats on passing your aptitude test.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-10 01:26:43

At 11/9/06 03:08 PM, GeneralMBison wrote: Whoa Col., those were touching. I like the second one you posted. By the way, the last link does work, just to let ya know.

Yeah. Its just there was another post I had deleted cause the link was messed up again.

Cool, congats on passing your aptitude test.

Thank you Sir.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-10 15:25:14

Bleh dudes , I totally forgot bout' this... Sorry for not posting or being around...

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-10 16:52:41

At 11/10/06 03:25 PM, DaSecondTerminator wrote: Bleh dudes , I totally forgot bout' this... Sorry for not posting or being around...

Great to see you, DaSecondTerminator.

Anyways, to the fellow Marines out there, Happy Birthday, you Devil Dogs. Today is the United States Marine Corps 231st birthday.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-11 15:23:44

God bless our soldiers overseas. Past and Present.

For today is Remembrance Day.

Lest We Forget.

In Flander's Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
--Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918).Canadian Army Medical Corps.

The War Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-12 08:53:37

Remberence day thid qoute pretty much sums it up.

For are Tommorow they gave there today. Someguy.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-12 13:22:52

At 11/12/06 08:53 AM, RedGlare wrote: Remberance day this quote pretty much sums it up.

For are Tommorrow they gave there today. Some guy.

Bad day or something? My Firefox is going insane on you

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-14 06:20:20

Anyways , I wanted to bring up a topic to discuss about.
If you haven't heard , Bush and Olmert sat to discuss about Iran and Phalestine.
I wanted to ask you guys if you think Iran's Nuke creation is dangerous for the whole World , And not only Israel and America.

I'll be glad to see some responces.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-14 11:51:59

At 11/14/06 06:20 AM, DaSecondTerminator wrote: Phalestine.

Palestine

I wanted to ask you guys if you think Iran's Nuke creation is dangerous for the whole World , And not only Israel and America.

What concerns the US and the world the most is that Iran has a bit of a history of supporting known terrorist organizations. The concern is that the Iranian government may sell nuclear weaponry/components (either a fully functional weapon, or a "dirty bomb").

Boom.

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-14 13:06:51

At 11/14/06 11:51 AM, Peregrinus wrote:

What concerns the US and the world the most is that Iran has a bit of a history of supporting known terrorist organizations.

Yep , They could sell it to an Israel hating Organization as the Hizbollah, Making them shoot it from a deadly range that most likely the chances will be small to stop it.

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-14 13:12:55

At 11/14/06 01:06 PM, DaSecondTerminator wrote: Yep , They could sell it to an Israel hating Organization as the Hizbollah,

They could sell it to anyone. Even just releasing it to the underground arms market would be bad, cause you would have a hard time tracking the weapons.

Making them shoot it from a deadly range that most likely the chances will be small to stop it.

With nukes, any range is deadly... :P

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-14 14:50:25

Most likely if the range is big , It wouldnt be a problem to shoot it down , With Heatseeking missles ;)

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-14 19:45:42

At 11/14/06 02:50 PM, DaSecondTerminator wrote: Most likely if the range is big , It wouldnt be a problem to shoot it down , With Heatseeking missles ;)

Unless it's a dirty bomb or not mounted on a missile...

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-15 02:55:22

How do you mean a 'dirty bomb'? Like the one wich was dropped in Hiroshima?

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-15 03:03:30

At 11/15/06 02:55 AM, DaSecondTerminator wrote: How do you mean a 'dirty bomb'? Like the one wich was dropped in Hiroshima?

"Dirty" bombs are home made bombs which contain radioactive materials intended to contaminate a large area with radioactive fallout.

US NRC Factsheet: Dirty Bombs

BBS Signature

Response to The War Crew 2006-11-15 05:32:16

Intresting... Oh and By the way I prefer to be called Vlad ;)