00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ng Gym

126,583 Views | 2,009 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-02 05:44:44

At 8/1/05 09:56 PM, Snowy_Beast wrote: Answer to Coop83!
First of all, I would like to know for how long have you been training, and how old are you?

I'm 22 and have been training properly for about a year.

To achieve your goal Coop83, 3 times a week would be a minimum. If you could increase it to 3-4 times a week, it would be splendid! Why, because my being sure you’ll come 3 times at least, not 2, I could make you work specific part on your body so you would do a Full Body work in 2 or 3 days of training. And when you’d come 4 times, you then will have work out every muscle twice within 7days witch is perfect!

Okay, I'll make time to go three times a week.

The First One (the one I will use right now) will be me giving you tips, and upgrading you’re actual work out.

I'd rather stick to something similar to what I already have, since I know my limits (roughly) with the exersizes I already do.

So here it goes... at your place I would do 10 min of bike and 20 min of running to start with. Then I would group Chest, Back and triceps one day and Legs, Biceps and Shoulders the other one. Naturally since you’ll have more time in front you, increase (add) the number of movement your doing so it become more specific for each muscle. Increase the your number of Reps and decrease your number of set... a Good combination would be 4 set of 8 reps (Excellent number to build up Mass and Strength at the same time, in some occasion you could do a 5th set to failure or a 5th set of 6 reps) for the Chest and Back, 4 set of 10 reps for the biceps, shoulder and triceps and 4 set of 12 reps (Now the legs, the strongest muscle in your body, not only you’ll gain more mass and strength, but you’ll see your endurance enhance with this) for your legs.

Okay, I'm not a fan of the treadmill. Would it be okay to do 20 minutes on the bike and then 10 minutes on the rowing machine?

Could you also point me in the direction of some good exersizes for my back, since every other area is covered, please. Which of the two workouts takes my Abdominals into account?

P.S. English isn’t my first language, so I apologise for my lack of knowledge there; I hope you could understand me well.

That's not a problem, you've done well enough so far.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-02 13:57:11

Hey guys, yesterday I spent all day walking none stop. It was horrible pain.
Although when you walk about 30 miles rather than catch a bus its a great sense of pride. And walking is quite fun.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-02 20:43:47

At 8/2/05 01:57 PM, -Nev- wrote: Hey guys, yesterday I spent all day walking none stop. It was horrible pain.
Although when you walk about 30 miles rather than catch a bus its a great sense of pride. And walking is quite fun.

Woah 30 miles. Nice. I don't know the longest I every walked and how far I went but I did run 5 miles once. Not like thats amazing or anything. I'm not quite the endurance athlete.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-02 21:30:34

To Coop83

At 8/2/05 05:44 AM, Coop83 wrote:
Okay, I'm not a fan of the treadmill. Would it be okay to do 20 minutes on the bike and then 10 minutes on the rowing machine?

Yeah, sure... but running is the best of all exercice to become/stay lean.

Could you also point me in the direction of some good exersizes for my back, since every other area is covered, please.

It's going to be plaisure!!
-Chin Up Large grip is a great warm up for your back!

-Lat Pull Down (Close grip)
-Seated Row (Close or Mid Grip)
-One Arm Rowing
-Dead Lift

Which of the two workouts takes my Abdominals into account?

You shoud work your abs every day... one day the upper abs (crunch, etc.) the second day lower abs (Leg Raise, etc.)

If I can be of any help let me know!!

Sig made by MuffDiver102

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-02 22:10:24

To Religiously_Rude

At 8/1/05 11:49 PM, Religiously_Rude wrote: Hey SnowyBeast, i'm not doubting what the guy said but i was wondering if you agree with all of this... I'm trying to get rid of the fat around my stomach (theres not that much) and work on my abs... I bike, run, and swim daily and well i started doing what was said below... You got any other advice?

If you wanna work your abs I suggest working all parts of and not just doing sit-ups. Work the lower by doing doing stretches with your legs over your head and hold the stretch, for your upper abs use crunches sit-ups and all ab machines and for lovehandles do stretches where you turn your waist alot to each side and do situps o the side of your body focussing the obliques.

I agree pretty much on what was said.... but I'll add my 2 cents if you don't mind.
First of all, you're telling me you want to get rid of the fat around your stomach and that there isn't much. Well specially if there isn't much to loose there, you should eat lean!
No Fruits after 5pm, Green Vegetables are your friend at that time.
NO pasta, bread and rice days you DONT train,
Chicken, Yogurt, White Eggs (don't eat the yellow) and Tuna are good source of lean protein, Raw Meat is an even greater source but you'll pay a price for it (fat). Protein Shake is a must when you're really into your training, and by taking a shake before a meal (it will reduce you're need of food, you'll be less hungry).

Now if you want a specific diet, mail me I'll give you a personal one, but beware... my "method" is base on that sentence... NO PAIN NO GAIN!

What's for the abs training now...?
Before stretching the lower parts, I would work it up.
Every abs movement that requires your legs will work your lower abs (Leg Raise, Standing Leg Raise, Scissor, Circles, etc.) and for the upper parts I'm almost sure you already know what to do (Crunch, Sit Up, Cross-Over, Side Bend, etc.) by working all those section you will sculpt a six pack but the fat around it will have to go away with the diet and the cardio.

P.S. Eat lean, keep running and swimming, you'll see the result!

At 7/26/05 11:49 AM, Vegeton wrote:
At 7/25/05 04:40 PM, Break_the_Silence wrote:
Well..you live in Quebec like me,

Seems it's a reunion!! Where you all train? I have access to couples of gym; Energie Cardio, nautilus Plus, CentrAction+, Sprint Action, YMCA, Atlantis, California, Carrefour MultiSport... you name it! Maybe we could power train one day.... =)

Sig made by MuffDiver102

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-03 09:51:31

Thanks snowy beast... I'll take all of your advice into affect :D

Thanks nightmareLeecher for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-03 11:10:27

At 8/3/05 09:51 AM, Religiously_Rude wrote: Thanks Snowy_Beast... I'll take all of your advice into affect :D

It's always a pleasure to help...
If you can, ask a trainer at your gym to take your body fat %... it would be nice if you would know where you are exactly. And the operation takes few sec.

Sig made by MuffDiver102

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-04 15:29:43

At 8/2/05 09:30 PM, Snowy_Beast wrote: Yeah, sure... but running is the best of all exercice to become/stay lean.

Well, I figure, since I walk about 10-15 miles each day at work, plus I run a lot during cricket, I'd try other muscle groups, for my Cardio Vascular.

It's going to be plaisure!!
-Chin Up Large grip is a great warm up for your back!

-Lat Pull Down (Close grip)
-Seated Row (Close or Mid Grip)
-One Arm Rowing
-Dead Lift

Can you give me a little more detail for these exersizes, please. I have no idea what each one is (except one arm rowing)

You shoud work your abs every day... one day the upper abs (crunch, etc.) the second day lower abs (Leg Raise, etc.)

Again, can you help me with the leg raise. is that machine based? I think there is a machine for it at my gym...

If you can, ask a trainer at your gym to take your body fat %... it would be nice if you would know where you are exactly.

I got my body fat checked out. It was 12.3% which is in the range (8-20%) which is healthy. I just need to get more muscle.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-05 18:40:15

A got a question.

Are there any exercises that I can do within my own home. I don't mind buying a few bits of equipment (ie weights). But I live in a same village and I can't afford to travel the to gym.

Mainly I want to tone and lose fat on my chest and abs.

Anyhelp such as, what I can do, how to do it, and what I might need would be very appriciated.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-05 20:50:22

At 8/5/05 06:40 PM, -Nev- wrote: Anyhelp such as, what I can do, how to do it, and what I might need would be very appriciated.

Push ups and sit ups are your best friend. Easy and sometimes fun to do. Lay on your back and raise your legs up as if you are sitting in a chair then cross your legs, putting your hands behind your head begin to lift yourself up towards your knees, touching either knee with the opposite elbow will help work the sides. Push ups are simple just lay flat on your stomach with toes pressed against the ground and lift away with your hands closer to your chest to make it more difficult. Also a easy exercise for triceps is press your back against your couch or bed while sitting on the floor and stretch your arms back and put your hands on the edge and lift, make sure your feet remain planted but lift your legs and ass and all the rest, heels stay down.

XBOX LIVE /// KevRS

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-05 21:12:18

At 8/5/05 06:40 PM, -Nev- wrote: A got a question.

Are there any exercises that I can do within my own home. I don't mind buying a few bits of equipment (ie weights). But I live in a same village and I can't afford to travel the to gym.

Mainly I want to tone and lose fat on my chest and abs.
Anyhelp such as, what I can do, how to do it, and what I might need would be very appriciated.

Ok i'm a gym fanatic so I'll give you some advice and hopefully i'll join your club!

Your 1st question about doing excerise at home. Buy yourself a bench with a Barbell and some dumbells and you'll never have to go to the gym.

You said you wanted to tone and lose fat on your chest and abs. This is how to do it:

Before you can tone you need to not be overweight. If your not overweight (Are you overweight?) do aerobic excerises regulary while eating the right food - (cut out the chips, burgers sweets etc) Swimming, football or any sport which forces you to run around is aerobic excerise. Going on a threadmill is also aeroboc excerise.

To tone the chest do the following excerises on your newly aquired Bench!

Pictures here.

Abs are the hardest to work because ab excerise's are BORING. You'll need a flat stomach before you start working the abs. If you have a bit of a pot belly get cracking on those aerobic excerises!

For great ab excerises.

-Nev- the hardest thing for you will be commitment. Its very hard keeping on a programme for the 1st couple of weeks. You might not see any chances and get fed up and think about quitting but don't. There is nothing better in the world then when people start complimenting you on now you look better. It might sound vein but I don't care. I weighted 10.5 stone and people used to call be "stocky". I wanted to change how I looked so I set about doing that about 5 months ago.

Tthe other day at a party one of the girls goes to me "Hey Mark I hear you have a great body can you lift up your shirt for us"? Again I may sound vain but fuck it I felt so proud of myself that I set out my goals and accomplished them.

Hope this has helped!

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-06 11:03:29

At 8/5/05 09:12 PM, VirginLungs wrote: Before you can tone you need to not be overweight. If your not overweight (Are you overweight?) do aerobic excerises regulary while eating the right food - (cut out the chips, burgers sweets etc) Swimming, football or any sport which forces you to run around is aerobic excerise. Going on a threadmill is also aeroboc excerise.

Nay I'm not overweight. And I own a cross trainer in my room, so I've been doing aerobic exercise for a few months now. And I've lost about 3 stone since I first bought it.

Pictures here.

Danke.

Abs are the hardest to work because ab excerise's are BORING. You'll need a flat stomach before you start working the abs. If you have a bit of a pot belly get cracking on those aerobic excerises!

Another danke.

-Nev- the hardest thing for you will be commitment. Its very hard keeping on a programme for the 1st couple of weeks. You might not see any chances and get fed up and think about quitting but don't. There is nothing better in the world then when people start complimenting you on now you look better.

I have no problems with commitment. So that won't be a problem.

Hope this has helped!

Indeed.
Welcome to the club. We've past 100 pages people. :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-06 13:22:44

At 8/6/05 11:03 AM, -Nev- wrote:

Nay I'm not overweight. And I own a cross trainer in my room, so I've been doing aerobic exercise for a few months now. And I've lost about 3 stone since I first bought it.

3 Stone?! My god! How heavy were you. What weight are you now?

I must stress the important of a good diet if you want a great body. Try an eat as little as possible of the following:

All fast food. That includes Chinese, Indian etc. That stuff is packed with fats and calories.

Chocolate, sweets, cakes etc.

Fizzy Drinks.

Drink 6 glasses of water a day. This will help keep your muscles hydrated and will allow them to grow. If you really want to gain muscle I recommend you buy protein power. That stuff is amazing. If you drink a glass of that after every weights session you'll be a lean machine in no time.

Also don't do weights training every day. Always have a day of rest after each day you train.The day after is when your muscles are really growing.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-06 14:50:56

At 8/6/05 01:22 PM, VirginLungs wrote: Also don't do weights training every day. Always have a day of rest after each day you train.The day after is when your muscles are really growing.

a) that's why it hurts, the muscles are repairing.

b) that's also why it is suggested that you do certain groups on certain days of the week.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-06 16:55:22

At 8/6/05 01:22 PM, VirginLungs wrote: 3 Stone?! My god! How heavy were you. What weight are you now?

I got it September and I was about 15 stone. And I'm 12 stone now. Although I didn't really use it all the time and I went through passages of commitment. Although recently I've been very committed, and I lost Half a stone in about 2 to 3 weeks.

I must stress the important of a good diet if you want a great body. Try an eat as little as possible of the following:

All fast food. That includes Chinese, Indian etc. That stuff is packed with fats and calories.

Chocolate, sweets, cakes etc.

I don't eat stuff like that anyway. If I ever want a snack I have cereal (with semi skimmed milk).

Fizzy Drinks.

Does Diet count, cause I drink a bit of Dr Pepper Zero. But it apparently has like 0.2 calories per 100ml.

Drink 6 glasses of water a day. This will help keep your muscles hydrated and will allow them to grow. If you really want to gain muscle I recommend you buy protein power. That stuff is amazing. If you drink a glass of that after every weights session you'll be a lean machine in no time.

What is proterin power? Is it already a drink, or like a power you add to water?

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-06 19:35:18

At 8/6/05 04:55 PM, -Nev- wrote:
At 8/6/05 01:22 PM, VirginLungs wrote: 3 Stone?! My god! How heavy were you. What weight are you now?
I got it September and I was about 15 stone. And I'm 12 stone now. Although I didn't really use it all the time and I went through passages of commitment. Although recently I've been very committed, and I lost Half a stone in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Thats amazing progress, well done!

Does Diet count, cause I drink a bit of Dr Pepper Zero. But it apparently has like 0.2 calories per 100ml.

No thats ok, but get into the habit of drinking at least 6 glasses of water a day. Drinking water is vital if you want to lost weight and gain muscle

What is proterin power? Is it already a drink, or like a power you add to water?

Sorry 'Protein powder' or whey powder is a protein powder that can be added to anything. Its hugely helpful to weightlifters and to anyone who is interested in gaining muscle. It tastes scummy added to milk or water so this is this is how I take my protein powder. I place bananas, strawberry or any fruit I want into a blender, add vanilla yogurt and 2 scoops of protein powder and blend for 2 minutes. I'm left with a delicious smootie that is not only excellant for muscle gain but would be also excellant as part of a weight loss plan.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 01:03:25

sorry i havent been postin much but i am back now:

On the protein issue, the medical docs say you should have 1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh if you wanna work out. I weigh 115 so I have 115 grams of protein a day, I have like 80 in my shake in the mornin and the rest in my normal meals. GNC is everywhere in the U.S and they are the best place to go for shakes. try eatin lots of chicken, it is very high in protein.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 04:42:41

Do you think that playing basketball for 3 hours with your friends is a good idea for losing a little body fat or just for sweating?

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 08:40:31

At 8/7/05 04:42 AM, GeneralMBison wrote: Do you think that playing basketball for 3 hours with your friends is a good idea for losing a little body fat or just for sweating?

If you play basketball for 3 hours a couple of days a week, while eating a good balanced diet you will lose lots of body fat (if thats what you want). Also it will keep you very fit.

If you only want to lose a little body fat but still want to play that much basketball make sure you eat the right food. Eat LOTS of carbohydrates (bread, pasta etc) before and after you play.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 14:51:36

At 8/7/05 08:40 AM, VirginLungs wrote: If you play basketball for 3 hours a couple of days a week, while eating a good balanced diet you will lose lots of body fat (if thats what you want). Also it will keep you very fit.

If you only want to lose a little body fat but still want to play that much basketball make sure you eat the right food. Eat LOTS of carbohydrates (bread, pasta etc) before and after you play.

This could lead to problems, like when I finished school and went on to University, I wasn't as physically active as before, but I carried on eating the carbs. I've now shed the weight and I'm trying to put on some quality weight (muscle) and keep the fat at bay. It is working.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 14:57:52

Hey could i join this gym?
I do 200 sit up's a day.
400 curl's a day (and other weight lifting exercises).
Jog for an hour a day.
And other things....

And dont judge me for my age, i take working out seriously.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 16:09:13

At 8/7/05 02:57 PM, LookingTwiceKills wrote: Hey could i join this gym?
I do 200 sit up's a day.
400 curl's a day (and other weight lifting exercises).

400 curls?! Your over doing it. Stop or YOU WILL hurt yourself. If your working lets say your biceps you shouldn't be doing more then 3 sets with 10 reps in each set. Especially at your age where it is very east to hurt yourself.

If you want a 6-pack doing 200 normal sit ups a day isn't the way to do it. First off do adominal workout sessions every TWO days to give your musicles a chance to recover and GROW. Its when your resting ever your workout are you muscles really growing.

To work your stomach the right way follow my advice:

Your 6-pack starts here!

Your stomach consists of 3 main muscle groups that ALL need to be worked in order to get that perfect 6-pack. They are: The upper abs, the lower abs and the Obliques.

When working, lets say your upper abs do the following: Do 20 reps of a high intensity ab excerise three times. That means after 20 reps, REST for a minute then do another 20. Do the exact same when working the obliques and lower abs.

For instuctions and pictures on how to do high intensity ab excerises click here.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 16:14:56

At 8/7/05 04:09 PM, VirginLungs wrote:
At 8/7/05 02:57 PM, LookingTwiceKills wrote:

Hey thanks, i forgot to mention i do take days of curls so i can recooperate, my dad told me i could fuck up my musces other wise, but hey, thanks for showing concern!

And thanks for the info as well!

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 20:24:29

Ok so I was working out today in my house for about 40 minutes. Now I did lots of excerises, bench press's, barbell curls, upright rows, squats,military presses etc

But when it came to working my abs I did 50 sits ups and got bored and stopped. This pissed me off afterwards because even though I have a flat stomach I only really have a visible 4 pack. I'm trying to get stronger abdominal muscles but fucking hell I hate sit ups. I find them the most boring and repetitive of all excerises.

Anyone else have this problem?

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-07 21:32:06

hey virgin lungs heres a little hint here. don't complain if you don't have a bloody stomach alright. when i was in wrestling season i was pumping out 60 to 75 sit ups a minute yet my stomach was still the same. but no my problem are pushups i just hate them. sit ups aren't that bad because i can listen to megadeath or floyd while doing them

Between the idea And the reality

Between the motion And the act, Falls the Shadow

An argument in Logic

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-08 07:00:13

At 8/7/05 09:32 PM, fenrus1989 wrote: but no my problem are pushups i just hate them. sit ups aren't that bad because i can listen to megadeath or floyd while doing them

my problem was with push-ups when i was i JROTC in high school. i had to done over 50 push-ups every week and the first time i did this, my arms couldn't bend well and did not have any much muscle in it. Then that's when i began lifting weights and 3 months later i did begin doing push-ups more easier. Of course sit-ups aren't that bad. Those are easier to do. BTW thanks for the help on the basketball post. Now i know how to lose that body fat around my waist.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-08 07:38:49

At 8/7/05 09:32 PM, fenrus1989 wrote: hey virgin lungs heres a little hint here. don't complain if you don't have a bloody stomach alright.

Don't have a stomach? I've got a 30 inch waste and my stomach is rock hard mate. My abs just aren't as defined as I'd like them to be. When I say 50 sit ups, I mean 50 HARD sit ups.

Example: I lie flat on my back with my hands palm down at my side. I then raise my legs straight 6 inches of the ground and bring my head and shoulders 30 degrees off the ground. Simultaneously I reach forward with my hands and bring my heels to my arse. I then return to the start position, keeping my legs off the ground.

Now thats a proper ab excerise.

when i was in wrestling season i was pumping out 60 to 75 sit ups a minute yet my stomach was still the same.

If you want great abs don't spend less then 4 seconds on each sit up.

but no my problem are pushups i just hate them. sit ups aren't that bad because i can listen to megadeath or floyd while doing them

I like push ups. I do all different kinds of push ups to make them interesting. One great push up excerise is called the Leg raising press up . Its It works the chest,abs,chest and triceps alot better then a normal push up . This is how its done:

Place your hands shoulder width apart, fingers facing forwards. Push feet together and keep them as far back as possible. Lower yourself until your chest is fist height from the floor. While you're doing this raise one leg until the foot is above your arse or as far back as possible. Straighten your arms so you move back to the start position. Alternate lega after 10 reps.

ps They're called Megadeth.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-08 07:45:27

At 8/7/05 08:24 PM, VirginLungs wrote: Anyone else have this problem?

Nope, i actually find that too be my favorte of the abdominal workouts, It's easy too do, and it takes my quite a while too get borred of them, or even tired for that matter.

Just kind of, turn it into a little game, pretend theres like hot coals under neath you, and your trying to stay up instead of down. And then when your top half of the body comes down towards the coals, pretend it's because a swinging penjalem is going to hit you.

Kind of kiddy, but it might work.

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-08 10:58:51

I have this problem a lot... I usually do sit-ups while listening to music or while watching tv/ movies cause it takes my mind off of what im doing (sorta)...

Thanks nightmareLeecher for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2005-08-08 12:09:24

At 8/8/05 10:58 AM, Religiously_Rude wrote:
I have this problem a lot... I usually do sit-ups while listening to music or while watching tv/ movies cause it takes my mind off of what im doing (sorta)...

Yeah, i like listening to System of a Down while working out, especially thier first album. It has alot of aggresion to it, kinda motivates me.