00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

663,454 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-09 01:36:00

At 1/9/14 12:50 AM, icyflamez96 wrote: Ok, I didn't figure out why it wasn't working before, but I got on today with none of those issues coming up.

So I watched a few tutorials on FL and (since i've tinkered with it before) now I pretty much remember how set notes and patterns semi fluently to make a song.... My main problem now is finding instruments that sound good. All of the sound editing stuff is foreign to me, so I guess that's the main thing people use to take "meh" sounding instruments and turn them into good sounding ones? Can anyone help me with this stuff, or give me some general tips, info, or link tutorials?

It depends on the genre, really.
There's a mixer preset that I've been using for a while to do make some instruments sound less "meh". Fruity Reeverb has a Decay knob that I often set at 3.0 for any short synths and real, classical instruments. Decay does wonders for making a song sound good, imho. Again, it depends on the genre.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-09 23:39:47

Well I got the basic gist of the mixer now. That decay thing really does give a good sound, but it doesn't work for everythings. I'll mess around with the other mixers. If you have any specific comments about any other mixers on your mind then please share =]

So is the mixer the main thing people use for editing sounds into what they want, or is there another method?

thanks for all the help btw

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 00:13:46

Ok new question. I keep trying to export my MP3, and it always ends up in super bad quality. Like, It'll sound perfect when I play it in FL Studio, but when I export it, it sounds terrible. I don't know how to explain it. There's a bunch or crackling and whiteish noise. Well I have it uploaded so you guys know exactly the kind of quality i'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxPhHJtpUM

I've followed a few different videos/tutorials on what setting to use to uplaod an MP3/WAV at the best quality, but they all come out the same.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 05:46:44

At 1/11/14 12:13 AM, icyflamez96 wrote: Ok new question. I keep trying to export my MP3, and it always ends up in super bad quality. Like, It'll sound perfect when I play it in FL Studio, but when I export it, it sounds terrible. I don't know how to explain it. There's a bunch or crackling and whiteish noise. Well I have it uploaded so you guys know exactly the kind of quality i'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxPhHJtpUM

I've followed a few different videos/tutorials on what setting to use to uplaod an MP3/WAV at the best quality, but they all come out the same.

Wow that is bad quality. and pretty odd

Firstly I would double check the bit-rate on your export settings, try to aim for maximum bit-rate (only go lower if absolutely necessary)

Save a new version and make these changes:

Disable audio effects used on your mixer and export that file!

Does that solve the problem?

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 05:55:46

Is the volume bar colored like lava when you play the song in FL?

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 11:29:48

@Stealth-Emergence
I already tried all those different settings.

At 1/11/14 05:55 AM, Daru925 wrote: Is the volume bar colored like lava when you play the song in FL?

Yup

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 12:21:08

your song is clipping. in a pinch you can turn the volume down or use a limiter on the master channel to fix it, but the real solution is to get better at mixing :P

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 12:56:16

At 1/11/14 12:21 PM, midimachine wrote: your song is clipping. in a pinch you can turn the volume down or use a limiter on the master channel to fix it, but the real solution is to get better at mixing :P

Oh snap. I wasn't aware of any of that stuff you said. Easy to fix now that I know what the issue was. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL3d6rlQe6E

Yayy now it sounds perfect.. Quality wise. Now I just need to make some better songs lololol

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-11 22:40:19

Yeah, avoid the lava bar^^

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-13 21:40:21

I want to use sound editing to get a snare that sounds like the bzzt of a walkie-talkie turning on. It sounds exactly like the snare in the first few seconds of Linkin Park's "In The End".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWbgkRpYwc

I managed to sample it from the first second of that song, but I don't know what my white noise generator hasn't been able to replicate it. I tried EQing off the high and low extremities and using the cutoff filter, but it doesn't sound as lush and breathy as Linkin Park's. Any ideas as to what to try next?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-13 21:51:25

At 1/13/14 09:40 PM, Sleepycoaster wrote: I want to use sound editing to get a snare that sounds like the bzzt of a walkie-talkie turning on. It sounds exactly like the snare in the first few seconds of Linkin Park's "In The End".

i think it'd be easier to get a drum loop, distort the fuck out of it and then get your filter/compression on :)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-15 19:01:55

When i go to channel settings and try to pitch up a sample it automatically goes from "resample" mode to "auto." Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what i can do to change it? I want to pitch the samples up individually.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-15 21:25:16

At 1/15/14 07:01 PM, dlong492 wrote: When i go to channel settings and try to pitch up a sample it automatically goes from "resample" mode to "auto." Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what i can do to change it? I want to pitch the samples up individually.

the switch to "auto" happens cause it's stretching the sample to keep the sample at the same length. switching back to "resample" will make sample length relative to pitch. if that makes sense. :v

so yeah, "resample" is just the same thing as playing the sample on a different note anyway, so if you want to do it like that then just use the piano roll or change the root note of the sample

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 13:56:11

So I was following tutorials on how to make certain sounds, and after like 6 tutorials, I realized that the mixers that you set to them don't save... Can you get them to save along with the base sound or what?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:09:17

At 1/18/14 01:56 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: So I was following tutorials on how to make certain sounds, and after like 6 tutorials, I realized that the mixers that you set to them don't save... Can you get them to save along with the base sound or what?

Not sure what you mean here! any chance you could elaborate a bit more?

Do you mean the mixer volumes?

The effects you assign to each mixer channel?

Or ???

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:20:38

The mixer channels I assign to the sound doesn't save.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:24:33

At 1/18/14 02:20 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: The mixer channels I assign to the sound doesn't save.

That's really odd, as soon as you assign them, there set until you change them.

you're using an old version of FL aren't you?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:25:03

I'm using 11.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:27:01

At 1/18/14 02:25 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: I'm using 11.

When I save my own preset, the only thing that actually gets saved are the changes I made to the channel settings and not the mixer channels I set to them.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:28:19

That's damn strange. I don't really know what to suggest, maybe there's a setting that's been set that shouldn't have been, beacuse, as I said before, as soon as you set them, that's it! no more needs doing with assigning etc... you can just play around with effects and what-have-you.

If it isn't doing that and there isn't a setting that's causing this to do this I really don't know what else to suggest?!?!

Personally if it was a bug or some other crap causing this, I would literally just back up everything I wanted to keep, uninstall and reinstall etc... as much of a nuisance that might be, ir might be the only option to get it back to working how it should be, I've never had this happen to me.

Don't know if it's common or not

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 14:29:39

At 1/18/14 02:27 PM, icyflamez96 wrote:
When I save my own preset, the only thing that actually gets saved are the changes I made to the channel settings and not the mixer channels I set to them.

ok, maybe we're missing some crucial information here.

Talk me through step by step what you're doing, from having the instrument on the step sequencer towards the point where your problem is happening

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 15:53:55

So basically, I load up 3xOsc.

I edit some options in the channel settings.

I assign it to a free mixer track.

I add some mixers

when I'm all done, at the channel setting I press "save channel state as," and when I load it back up, the mixers aren't there. Now looking back at it, I don't know why I thought that would save the mixer stuff as well.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 19:52:59

At 1/18/14 03:53 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: So basically, I load up 3xOsc.

I edit some options in the channel settings.

I assign it to a free mixer track.

I add some mixers

when I'm all done, at the channel setting I press "save channel state as," and when I load it back up, the mixers aren't there. Now looking back at it, I don't know why I thought that would save the mixer stuff as well.

I think you mean effects? The mixer settings are separate from the channel settings. There should be a drop-down arrow at the top-left corner. Go to File>Save mixer track state as...

Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-18 23:05:32

So you cant save them both as one?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-19 05:29:20

At 1/18/14 11:05 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: So you cant save them both as one?

Not that I know of. The mixer saves files in a different format as 3xOsc.

I usually save the sound and mixer effects as the same name, which makes it neat and it's not exactly a hassle to load up a previous sound you have made (it's just two extra clicks)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-19 13:11:35

At 1/18/14 11:05 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: So you cant save them both as one?

You can save mixer/master/fx presets the same way you save a preset in a synth.
I suggest you create some folders with your presets for synths, one for your mixer .
Then you can access it from the F8 menu and drag and drop the presets into channels/mixer channels.

Also, if you always do the same basic setup when starting a track you should create an empty track and save it as template.
To access the folders you created from the f8 menu, you press F10>FILE and you can specify your own personal folders.

Here is one that i use alot, with many mixer presets disabled, that i will have to use anyway, it saves me alot of time.
And as shown, all i have to do is drag and drop my mixer preset into a channel.
https://db.tt/LBp4ioNd

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-21 06:06:41

Okay, here's the situation.

I've finally enabled MIDI output on a keyboard I've got (male-to-male audio cable, 3.5 mm on both sides) and I'm now able to record my playing out of it. The sound that comes out of it is quite tinny, but that's another story.

I know how to render my playing as a WAV file -- both on Audacity and on Edison, but is there a way to turn this into notes on a sequencer, or resample it, or change the sound on it, etc., etc., etc.?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-21 06:38:14

At 1/21/14 06:06 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I've finally enabled MIDI output on a keyboard I've got (male-to-male audio cable, 3.5 mm on both sides)

well there's your problem, you need a MIDI cable to record MIDI output

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-21 09:25:44

Yep, you play then,
"Tools>Dump Score Log to Selected pattern"
It will put every midi activity from the last 3 minutes into piano roll.
No need to record or anything, just set the right tempo.

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-21 17:38:56

At 1/21/14 09:25 AM, Daru925 wrote: Yep, you play then,
"Tools>Dump Score Log to Selected pattern"
It will put every midi activity from the last 3 minutes into piano roll

ooh, either that's new or i never noticed it. either way it's neat!
although i'd still record normally if i needed to play a part along with a backing track

p.s. i am gay