New Topic Respond to this Topic
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 04:50 PM Reply

I guess I didn't scroll down far enough :(. Pretty much what LiquidOoze said.

New electro house/complextro song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
Omegeist
Omegeist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 06:25 PM Reply

who actually uses the fruity vibrator?

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 06:43 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 06:25 PM, Omegeist wrote: who actually uses the fruity vibrator?

My girlfriend :/

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:18 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:16 PM, Corbetto wrote: The problem is more of the case of the flps sounding like their sound quality has been lowered, rather then crackling from the buffer settings. Thanks for helping though.

Do you have a limiter on your master channel? I can imagine the compression of the mix could cause something like this.

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:24 PM, Corbetto wrote: You're probably right there, my computer is really old so i wouldn't be surprised if it was losing it's processing power.
An annoying thing about my problem that i forgot to add is that the sound quality IS destroyed when i export it D: which is probably the worst part of the problem. When i play the song in fl studio it sounds distorted/crunchy and when i play it in wav form outside of fl it still sounds distorted/crunchy. when i play any other song whether it be on my computer or on the internet, the song's sound quality sounds clean and good, despite the song inevitably lagging but that's just because my computer is terrible at the moment.

That sound either like what I said earlier (the mix is getting too compressed) or there is a problem with your sound driver (which I doubt because other songs sound fine).

Check your master channel for a limiter of some sort and disable it. You might find that your track is clipping.

BBS Signature
TheyCallMeCaudex
TheyCallMeCaudex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 09:06 PM Reply

Ok, I am usually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to music production, but there is one thing that I can't seem to figure out: Ducking. I want to do the whole electro thing, making the synths duck under the kick, which seems like basic operation, but I looked online and everything about it was extremely over complicated, and it lost me. Is FL-Studio just really overcomplicated when it comes to ducking or have I just found some bad tutorials? Either way, can someone tell me how the whole thing works, because I'm lost. Thanks!

Reality is a sandwich I did not order.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 09:06 PM, TheyCallMeCaudex wrote: Ok, I am usually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to music production, but there is one thing that I can't seem to figure out: Ducking. I want to do the whole electro thing, making the synths duck under the kick, which seems like basic operation, but I looked online and everything about it was extremely over complicated, and it lost me. Is FL-Studio just really overcomplicated when it comes to ducking or have I just found some bad tutorials? Either way, can someone tell me how the whole thing works, because I'm lost. Thanks!

Basically what you want to do is called sidechaining. There are many tutorials on youtube about how to accomplish this and would probably be more helpful than text, but I'll explain it anyway.

1. Get a kick and a synth
2. Duplicate the kick (explanation later)
3. Assign mixer tracks for each kick and the synth (mixer track #1, kick 1, mixer track #2, kick 2 etc)
4. Add a "Fruity Peak Controller" on one of the kick mixer channels (doesn't matter which one). This will mute the kick which is why you have 2 of them.
5. Now go to the synth mixer channel. There is a volume bar right under every mixer track, so right-click the volume bar of the synth. Select "Link to controller"
6. There should be a drop down list in one of the sections saying "None". Click on that and select "Peak".
7. Just below there there is a text box which says "Input". Change that to "Input-1" or select "Invert" from the drop down list.
8. Hit accept.

Your synth should now be sidechained to the silent kick. This way your synth can be sidechained even when the non-silent kick is not playing.

Or you could look up a video on youtube, it will show visually what I just explained. Hopefully I made sense :)

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 09:06 PM, TheyCallMeCaudex wrote: Is FL-Studio just really overcomplicated when it comes to ducking

maybe a little bit.

i still use the peak controller method for ducking, which isn't exactly straightforward at first but the advantage is that you can "duck" just about any parameter with it (not just volume).

p.s. i am gay

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:07 AM Reply

At 4/4/13 08:36 PM, Corbetto wrote:
At 4/4/13 07:30 PM, DjAbbic wrote:
Check your master channel for a limiter of some sort and disable it. You might find that your track is clipping.
How about that, there was a limiter on the master channel that was messing up both my songs. I don't remember putting it there but meh, my song sounds good again :D

Big thanks to everyone who helped solve the problem.

Fl Studio puts a Fruity Limiter on the master by default. The first thing you should do when starting a new project is removing it. ;)

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 4/5/13 09:07 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Fl Studio puts a Fruity Limiter on the master by default. The first thing you should do when starting a new project is removing it. ;)

Or go to File > New from template > Minimal > Empty. That way, your current project and any future projects will by default start as a blank slate with no limiters or crappy drum samples lying around.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 4/5/13 09:30 AM, Step wrote: Or go to File > New from template > Minimal > Empty. That way, your current project and any future projects will by default start as a blank slate with no limiters or crappy drum samples lying around.

What's that "IDEA MUST NOT FORGET" thing?

Also, teddy bears?

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 4/5/13 09:30 AM, Step wrote:
At 4/5/13 09:07 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Fl Studio puts a Fruity Limiter on the master by default. The first thing you should do when starting a new project is removing it. ;)
Or go to File > New from template > Minimal > Empty. That way, your current project and any future projects will by default start as a blank slate with no limiters or crappy drum samples lying around.

The hilarious thing is how weak the "Club" drum samples are compared to the "Basic" ones. I think the basic samples have become quite useful actually (compared to previous versions).

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 4/5/13 02:53 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: What's that "IDEA MUST NOT FORGET" thing?

The melody of "The Adventurer" in 8-bit form.

Also, teddy bears?

Some guy on Yahoo Answers shared that FLP and asked someone to mix it to make it sound good. It downloaded it, heard it, and realised it was too terrible to mix so I disregarded it.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 04:56 PM Reply

At 4/5/13 04:51 PM, Step wrote: The melody of "The Adventurer" in 8-bit form.

Some guy on Yahoo Answers shared that FLP and asked someone to mix it to make it sound good. It downloaded it, heard it, and realised it was too terrible to mix so I disregarded it.

Oh okay.

Whelp, there goes my FL Studio question of the year.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 6th, 2013 @ 06:05 PM Reply

I have a question, guys. Those of you who have full FL Studio and are using the ASIO4ALL sound drivers, please help me out.

Immediately when I reopen some of my previous projects, including stuff that I had worked on just yesterday, I hear this awful squeaky interference noise in my ASIO4ALL drive, and I'm not even playing the sound file: what's going on?

NB: This apparently applies to only some of my files, not all of them. Asperges Me is badly affected, as is Juventud (both songs are on NG, and I've been planning to remake/edit them for a while now). Last I edited Juventud was yesterday, and I didn't have this problem. I thought this problem applied to all my vocal songs and I was in deep trouble, but apparently it doesn't. Songs like Supplication (which is also on my NG profile) aren't affected.
Also: I'm running on a weaker processor. Intel Celeron, I think (before this, I had the HP, and it was running on Intel Core 2 Duo). I've got 2.5 GB RAM, which is a bit of a boost compared to the last PC I had (which only had 2.0 GB RAM). In order to boost FL Studio's performance on this secondhand computer I *had* to switch to ASIO4ALL; or else FL Studio would not run. I've done everything I could to overclock FL Studio's performance on this thing, and till today it hasn't given me problems.... until I started hearing this interference noise.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
TheComet
TheComet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 02:28 AM Reply

Is there any way to snap anything I play on my pad controller to step in FL? I've been using my pad controller for its knobs and havn't tried to use the actual pads yet because there's some timing issues between the controller and FL (probably a midi issue as a whole)

Flash Count: 111 | Audio Count: 559
Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 02:50 AM Reply

At 4/7/13 02:28 AM, TheComet wrote: Is there any way to snap anything I play on my pad controller to step in FL? I've been using my pad controller for its knobs and havn't tried to use the actual pads yet because there's some timing issues between the controller and FL (probably a midi issue as a whole)

You are talking about quantizing. Its quite common. Select the notes in the piano roll, open up the tools in the piano roll, and select quantize. You can find details of how to use it in the manual or on youtube or something.

You can also use the hotkeys ctrl-A to select all and alt-Q to quantize. Good combo to know.

TheComet
TheComet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 02:51 AM Reply

At 4/7/13 02:50 AM, Breed wrote:
At 4/7/13 02:28 AM, TheComet wrote: Is there any way to snap anything I play on my pad controller to step in FL? I've been using my pad controller for its knobs and havn't tried to use the actual pads yet because there's some timing issues between the controller and FL (probably a midi issue as a whole)
You are talking about quantizing. Its quite common. Select the notes in the piano roll, open up the tools in the piano roll, and select quantize. You can find details of how to use it in the manual or on youtube or something.

You can also use the hotkeys ctrl-A to select all and alt-Q to quantize. Good combo to know.

I'm aware of quantizing, I'm talking more like syncing up the midi controller with the tempo so my inputs are snapped when recording live

sugarsimon
sugarsimon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 03:49 AM Reply

I create with automation, audio clips, and creating stuff in FL playlist.

TheComet
TheComet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 03:57 AM Reply

At 4/7/13 03:49 AM, sugarsimon wrote: I create with automation, audio clips, and creating stuff in FL playlist.

Needs 100% more cluttered dual monitors :P

in all honesty though, damn, I could never work entirely with clips given how I grew up with the earlier versions of FL where you had to use those blocks to assemble anything

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 08:05 AM Reply

At 4/6/13 06:05 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I have a question, guys. Those of you who have full FL Studio and are using the ASIO4ALL sound drivers, please help me out.

block of text

Isn't anyone able to help me out?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 4/7/13 08:05 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 4/6/13 06:05 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I have a question, guys. Those of you who have full FL Studio and are using the ASIO4ALL sound drivers, please help me out.

block of text

Since it's acting up even when you are not playing anything, I'd assume it would be something to do with your sound card. Do you remember doing anything unusual with the audio settings (or any settings really) before this started happening?

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 4/7/13 03:49 AM, sugarsimon wrote: I create with automation, audio clips, and creating stuff in FL playlist.

You sweet sweet bastard you came back to me. Come to me, my love.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 4/7/13 10:52 AM, DjAbbic wrote:
At 4/7/13 08:05 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:

block of text
Since it's acting up even when you are not playing anything, I'd assume it would be something to do with your sound card. Do you remember doing anything unusual with the audio settings (or any settings really) before this started happening?

Last I remember I hibernated the PC (saved the session), then later I opened up the Volume Mixer and turned down the volume for Java plugins to zero. Flash and everything else have stayed at 100%; system sounds have stayed at about 75% -- this has been my default setting for 2+ years now.

The way my soundcard works is that it seems to support headsets and external audio, but it doesn't show any independent peripheral inside the computer for some odd reason. I have a Samson Go mic, which has speakers of its own, should I need to use them. When I enable ASIO4ALL, I enable them for both Samson Go and the PC speakers. When I heard this squeaky noise, the mic was disconnected. I think I did try plugging in the mic to see if anything would change, but I don't think anything did...

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 4/7/13 02:33 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Last I remember I hibernated the PC (saved the session), then later I opened up the Volume Mixer and turned down the volume for Java plugins to zero. Flash and everything else have stayed at 100%; system sounds have stayed at about 75% -- this has been my default setting for 2+ years now.

The way my soundcard works is that it seems to support headsets and external audio, but it doesn't show any independent peripheral inside the computer for some odd reason. I have a Samson Go mic, which has speakers of its own, should I need to use them. When I enable ASIO4ALL, I enable them for both Samson Go and the PC speakers. When I heard this squeaky noise, the mic was disconnected. I think I did try plugging in the mic to see if anything would change, but I don't think anything did...

Sorry I'm clueless :\. If you haven't changed any settings recently then I would be led to believe that something is getting old. Other than that I have no idea what the problem could be.

BBS Signature
Nechura
Nechura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 7th, 2013 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 4/7/13 02:33 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Last I remember I hibernated the PC (saved the session), then later I opened up the Volume Mixer and turned down the volume for Java plugins to zero. Flash and everything else have stayed at 100%; system sounds have stayed at about 75% -- this has been my default setting for 2+ years now.

If you've got any other audio interfaces, try running ASIO through them and see if it keeps happening. Could try reinstall ASIO too man. Maybe reinstall your soundcard driver aswell.

Nechura
Nechura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 4/11/13 07:26 AM, Corbetto wrote: I'm having some Fruity limiter confusion

i made a song on fl studio( to be specific, my prototype song uploaded to ng)
i keep the default limiter on and the song sounds great. I take it out and the volume of the track is drastically lowered, so i keep the limiter.

I have another song (to be specific, my avicii levels remix uploaded on ng) which i finished and after finding out that keeping the limiter on makes the song sound crunchy/distorted/ overall worse sound quality, i got rid of it and the sound quality sounded clean and good again.

I upload both songs to newgrounds.

Comes to my attention how my avicii levels remix is much quieter than prototype.
Common sense told me that it must be something to do with getting rid of the limiter.
I bring the limiter back to the avicii levels remix and the volume remains the same. Yet when i took the limiter away with prototype previously, the volume changed.

I have done absolutely no mastering with prototype and i am just completely confused why it is so much louder than my avicii levels remix

I would like my avicii levels remix to not be so quiet.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

If your song has volume peaks which go over -0db (clipping) then using a limiter to flatten those peaks will sometimes cause distortion, depending on how loud the track was before it was limited. I don't know if fruity limiter's default setting actually boosts the gain which is why you got such drastic volume differences but it's easy to avoid.

Ideally, you want your mixdowns to be around -6db without any effects over the top. Then, you have head room to actually put a limiter on and boost the volume of the master up to a better level and this way, you'll know when you're pushing the track too hard as well.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 15th, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

can anyone here get patcher running moderately stable?

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 11:35 AM Reply

Small question: why does my peak meter go up 0.5-1 dB when I put a Parametric EQ2 on the master bus without twisting a single knob?

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 09:36 AM Reply

I've had something that's been irritating me recently

How can I stretch out a sample in the playlist without literally stretching it along with the pitch? I just want to lengthen or shorten the sample. Is there a hotkey or something I'm missing?

[PLUR Intensifies]