00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

662,612 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-12 09:46:56

At 12/12/13 09:38 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Hey guys, just a quick question.. Say i have a sample i want to use in a project. Whats the best way to match the pitch and key of the sample to my project? I have tried doing this in fruity slicer by adjusting the pitch slider however that's just doing it by ear and it doesnt really give me a clear indication of whether or not its correctly pitched. Thanks in advance.

I've got nothing helpful to contribute, sadly.

in which case I shouldn't respond at all but kafjdakfga

Is it a vocal sample, or a melody sample?
As for advice? You just have to listen. Very carefully.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-12 10:20:44

Is it a vocal sample, or a melody sample?
As for advice? You just have to listen. Very carefully.

Its a reversed sound from a sample pack.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-13 00:50:00

At 12/10/13 09:37 PM, Envy wrote: oioio

i used to have this issue with soundfonts in FL, just a shot in the dark.

I would say the issu eis moer likely in a corrupted vst than in FL's framework, try looking into it in that vein.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-13 01:53:40

At 12/12/13 10:20 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Its a reversed sound from a sample pack.

A reversed sample? Like a sweep that actually has tone?
Well...shit, I've got nothing.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-13 09:11:40

At 12/12/13 09:38 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Hey guys, just a quick question.. Say i have a sample i want to use in a project. Whats the best way to match the pitch and key of the sample to my project? I have tried doing this in fruity slicer by adjusting the pitch slider however that's just doing it by ear and it doesnt really give me a clear indication of whether or not its correctly pitched. Thanks in advance.

you could always just find a free tuning VST to look at while you adjust the pitch (MTuner is really good and comes with a massive bundle of good free stuff from melda production)
actually you can run pitcher and just go off of the "input pitch" needle

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-13 19:11:59

At 12/13/13 01:53 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 12/12/13 10:20 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Its a reversed sound from a sample pack.

Yeh basically

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-16 00:45:10

At 12/13/13 07:11 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote:
Yeh basically

if possible, just get the frequency of the key's tonic (http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html) and with a spectrum analyzer mach the samples to it

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-16 00:47:14

At 12/16/13 12:45 AM, jpbear wrote:
At 12/13/13 07:11 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote:
Yeh basically
if possible, just get the frequency of the key's tonic (http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html) and with a spectrum analyzer mach the samples to it

the sample's fundamental frequency if it has one, if not just find the harmonic thats playing loudest in the sample and use that as your "guide"

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-16 19:05:37

Thanks for helping.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-27 10:36:55

Hi, what are you trying to do?
I don't think there is one by default.
If you're using native plugin from FL (harmor, sytrus) there are a bunch of effects that are available in the piano roll.
Like Slide, portamento, notes, color notes that trigger effects.
If you left click on any button in a plugin you get a list of different automation available.

For everything non FL, it depends of the plugin, but you can use various type of automations.
Left click wont work usually.

You can either use "browse parameter" from the plugin window(click the down arrow top left), then a list of everything you can automate (parameters, CC) will popup.
Usually "midi CC #1" is used by modwheel.
From there you can use "edit event" to draw curve in piano roll , "create automation curve" to draw clean spline-curves in the Playlist, or "link to controller", for example "dashboard" plugin.
I used it to create a sustain pedal for a bass.
You have fruity keyboard controller to control a parameter from the piano roll depending of the note, or the velocity of the note.

There is another method where you move any parameter in the VST window (like modwheel), then go to tool, last tweaked parameter and you get the same automation menu. But it doesn't work 100%

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 02:46:51

Hello. Why my speech synthesizer didn't appear on the pattern anymore? All other instruments can be seen..

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 11:00:13

At 1/6/14 02:46 AM, Glyxis wrote: Hello. Why my speech synthesizer didn't appear on the pattern anymore? All other instruments can be seen..

How were you trying to do it?

I've just a quick go (haven't used the speech synthesizer for a while)

The steps you need to follow to achieve it should be:

On a new or existing pattern.

Add, Insert, or Replace on the step sequencer the "speech synthesizer" type your text and choose your settings and then accept.

Your speech should now appear on the step sequencer, then go over to the playlist and click where you want your new pattern to appear.

It should then be there.

Is this how you tried?

If you did, then I've no other suggestions

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 11:39:59

At 1/6/14 02:46 AM, Glyxis wrote: Hello. Why my speech synthesizer didn't appear on the pattern anymore? All other instruments can be seen..

Just in case...

_Are you sure you havent zipped a channel's icon?
Try F5; then Alt+U

_Check you haven't grouped your channels by mistake.
Bottom left of step sequencer panel there is an "All/unsorted/groupname" menu.
When you group channels, the other disappear from step sequencer.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 13:50:01

Thanks for replies. @Stealth-Emergence: Yes, that is exactly what i do. I insert it as new one, not replace.
@Daru925: No, I haven't zipped the channel icon. Also, the channel display filter is on "All", so it should be there.

And now i noticed that when i have added the synthesizer, and add another instrument, the speech synthesizer magically appear, named as "Default". I don't understand why. So actually it is there, but i can't see it until i set another one..

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 14:00:28

Sorry for double posting, but.. Hmm, yeah, the default means it's just the "Type your text here" speech. I tested it without putting my own speech there.. Anyway, i get my speech there, but i still don't understand why i must do it that way..

So, not acute anymore, but if someone has idea what the problem is, you're welcome to tell. :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 14:52:22

At 1/6/14 02:00 PM, Glyxis wrote:
So, not acute anymore, but if someone has idea what the problem is, you're welcome to tell. :)

Are you using the most recent version of FL? I cant seem to simulate this issue at all.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 16:36:31

At 1/6/14 02:52 PM, Breed wrote:
At 1/6/14 02:00 PM, Glyxis wrote:
Are you using the most recent version of FL? I cant seem to simulate this issue at all.

Not actually. I'm using 9.0.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 19:56:00

Hi there.

I want to ask about Fruity Formula Controller. I'm using the Basic Sine preset. When I turn the frequency knob (I believe it was c?) all the way up it still doesn't go as fast as I want it to. (I'm trying to add vibrato to a 3xosc eurobeat saw, and using FFC to control fine pitch.) It seems that you can't edit the shown sine formula directly, as FFC just ignores my changes. Are there presets with faster frequencies? Is there a way to put in your own formula?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 20:41:57

At 1/6/14 07:56 PM, AquariusCyclone wrote: It seems that you can't edit the shown sine formula directly, as FFC just ignores my changes.

you need to press "COMPILE" for changes to take effect

for the formula a+Sin(SongTime*Pi*2*c)*(b-0.5) you can change the 2 to a higher value to increase the speed. the a/b/c variables have a maximum value of 1, so that's something to keep in mind!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 21:02:28

Thanks, it worked!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-06 23:54:33

Another question. I decided to put vibrato on my Sytrus saw instead but there doesn't seem to be a fine pitch knob anywhere on Sytrus. I suppose I could just draw an envelope, but I'd rather link Fruity Formula Controller to some knob. Is there a pitch-changing FX I could put into an insert in the mixer? Thanks in advance.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 06:53:02

At 1/6/14 11:54 PM, AquariusCyclone wrote: Another question. I decided to put vibrato on my Sytrus saw instead but there doesn't seem to be a fine pitch knob anywhere on Sytrus. I suppose I could just draw an envelope, but I'd rather link Fruity Formula Controller to some knob. Is there a pitch-changing FX I could put into an insert in the mixer? Thanks in advance.

unless you need the vibrato on just one operator, why not use the channel pitch?

since the channel pitch range is 4 octaves either way, you can make the vibrato range easier to manage by changing the preset formula to something like a+Sin(SongTime*Pi*x*c)*(0.1*(b-0.5)), where x represents the max vibrato speed you want.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 08:21:37

At 1/7/14 06:53 AM, midimachine wrote:
since the channel pitch range is 4 octaves either way, you can make the vibrato range easier to manage by changing the preset formula to something like a+Sin(SongTime*Pi*x*c)*(0.1*(b-0.5)), where x represents the max vibrato speed you want.

No shit! you can put formulae into FL?

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 14:40:52

The sound won't play in piano roll for me. If I actually click on the note itself on the piano roll, i'll hear it, but when I actually click the play button, no sound....

The notes set on the "patterns" window will play though.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 15:06:14

At 1/7/14 02:40 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: The sound won't play in piano roll for me. If I actually click on the note itself on the piano roll, i'll hear it, but when I actually click the play button, no sound....

have you checked if you're in song mode or not?
and what do you call the "patterns" window?

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 15:09:13

At 1/7/14 02:40 PM, icyflamez96 wrote: The sound won't play in piano roll for me. If I actually click on the note itself on the piano roll, i'll hear it, but when I actually click the play button, no sound....

These are probably really obvious suggestions, but I'll start here anyway as you haven't given enough information to go from.

Check the instrument(s) isn't muted?

Check volume levels

Check velocity levels in the piano roll (this sometimes happens with me, occasionally the velocity is set to low for some reason, perhaps from forgetting from having it set prior to this instrument)

Check the mixer levels, if you've assigned the instrument to a mixer channel at this point.

Check whether you're on either song/pattern mode

That's all I can think of right now

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 17:29:57

might've accidentally placed slide notes, i do it all the time!

re: formulae, in your effects list you should have the fruity formula controller unless you removed it from favourites. basically a peak controller/LFO on steroids, but you need to do all the math yourself

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-07 23:32:30

At 1/7/14 06:53 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 1/6/14 11:54 PM, AquariusCyclone wrote: Another question. I decided to put vibrato on my Sytrus saw instead but there doesn't seem to be a fine pitch knob anywhere on Sytrus. I suppose I could just draw an envelope, but I'd rather link Fruity Formula Controller to some knob. Is there a pitch-changing FX I could put into an insert in the mixer? Thanks in advance.
unless you need the vibrato on just one operator, why not use the channel pitch?

Messing with channel pitch is usually my last resort. But I'll do that. From what I learned since I posted that question, changing pitch takes up a lot of processing power and thus usually isn't a plugin.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-09 00:50:26

Ok, I didn't figure out why it wasn't working before, but I got on today with none of those issues coming up.

So I watched a few tutorials on FL and (since i've tinkered with it before) now I pretty much remember how set notes and patterns semi fluently to make a song.... My main problem now is finding instruments that sound good. All of the sound editing stuff is foreign to me, so I guess that's the main thing people use to take "meh" sounding instruments and turn them into good sounding ones? Can anyone help me with this stuff, or give me some general tips, info, or link tutorials?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-01-09 01:14:56

At 1/9/14 12:50 AM, icyflamez96 wrote: Ok, I didn't figure out why it wasn't working before, but I got on today with none of those issues coming up.

So I watched a few tutorials on FL and (since i've tinkered with it before) now I pretty much remember how set notes and patterns semi fluently to make a song.... My main problem now is finding instruments that sound good. All of the sound editing stuff is foreign to me, so I guess that's the main thing people use to take "meh" sounding instruments and turn them into good sounding ones? Can anyone help me with this stuff, or give me some general tips, info, or link tutorials?

If you're using FL Studio 11, they've loaded the program with more instruments than in FL Studio 10, so you have a cool variety of soundfonts for actual instruments. If you're looking to make really cool electro synths, be sure to check out ALL of the VSTs and their presets. You can view those by opening up your VST - for example, open Sytrus - and up in the top, right corner near the X button is two arrows. Right-clicking that will bring up all of the VST's pre-loaded presets. If you don't wanna go through every VST, then Sytrus, Harmor, Harmless (and GMS, if you're running FL11) are your best.

If you're not entirely satisfied with how the synth sounds, you can make your own, or edit it.

Also, a big part of getting the sound you want comes from doing stuff with the Mixer. If you press open and go into the "Cool Stuff" folder, you can look at some really cool sample tracks and how the artists mixed and blended their songs. I won't lie to you, I've actually saved some presets from the project files and used them for myself.

Your best bet would be to play with everything in the Mixer, because everything does something different, whether it be adding reverb, equalizing, compressing, adding cool sounds effects, etc.

Hope I was able to help at all. :)