00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Amoongoos1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

664,714 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 10:34:11

At 7/5/10 05:17 AM, S3C wrote:
At 7/5/10 03:46 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 7/2/10 06:30 AM, Darklight17 wrote: We're making a song for Robot Day (by we I mean Supersteph54 and I) and we've come in need of automating a WAV file in pitch and tempo, (making them lower in pitch and tempo).
Please, can someone help us out here. We need to know before Robot Day.
the pitch knob(s) and track tempo is automatable....

do this. put the wav into an audio clip in the playlist. go in the channel settings and set the time knob so its close to its original length. doing this stops the audio clip from changing size when it's pitch goes up or down, same with tempo.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 11:35:46

At 7/4/10 11:25 PM, AMP wrote: Circular Panning Law?

Should i leave it on or should I turn it off? What does it do exactly.

Quoted from FL Studio Power by Steve Pease:

"The Circular Panning Law option is something to test out, because this one comes down to endlessly debated preference. The basic idea is that with Circular Panning Law enabled, when you pan sound from left to right, the perceived volume remains the same, while when it is disabled, the sound gets louder when dead center, and the difference between center and panned hard right or hard left is much more noticeable."

I personally have no opinion on the matter, I keep mine enabled.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 13:21:12

At 7/5/10 10:34 AM, xKore wrote: do this. put the wav into an audio clip in the playlist. go in the channel settings and set the time knob so its close to its original length. doing this stops the audio clip from changing size when it's pitch goes up or down, same with tempo.

Worked like a charm, you just saved my Robot Day song.

Thanks a million! :D.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 19:17:49

In Sytrus I keep getting an anoying static noise.

Please helpppp.
Its in the songs and it kills it.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 19:33:10

At 7/5/10 07:17 PM, FearNotMyToyWolfMCHN wrote: In Sytrus I keep getting an anoying static noise.

Please helpppp.

And i've tried the bugger thing.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 20:05:38

At 7/5/10 07:33 PM, FearNotMyToyWolfMCHN wrote:
At 7/5/10 07:17 PM, FearNotMyToyWolfMCHN wrote: In Sytrus I keep getting an anoying static noise.

Please helpppp.
And i've tried the buffer thing.*

buffer* haha

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 20:10:42

Please helpppp.

is it a demo version?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-05 21:08:11

At 7/4/10 09:10 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 7/4/10 07:58 PM, Ampoule wrote: Where should a beginner start? I need to learn this program through and through so I'm looking for some direction. Most of the tutorials I've found thus far are of poor quality, so if someone could point me in the direction of a solid guide or learning resource I'd be very appreciative.
This book did wonders for me, it's a bit quick paced but it goes over EVERYTHING

Thanks!
NP

Ordered it, thanks!

I'm also looking for some decent books on digital audio production/mastering, etc, so that I can understand the technical aspect of sound & production. Not exactly fruity loops related, but I figured I shouldn't clog up the board with a new topic. Anyone have (a) suggestion(s)?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-06 02:14:21

At 7/5/10 09:08 PM, Ampoule wrote:
I'm also looking for some decent books on digital audio production/mastering, etc, so that I can understand the technical aspect of sound & production. Not exactly fruity loops related, but I figured I shouldn't clog up the board with a new topic. Anyone have (a) suggestion(s)?

Well mastering is it's own monster(Owsinski has a great book on that).

If you are looking into producing dance related music(hip hop, dubstep, dnb, trance, house, etc) then I would DEFINITELY suggest the book "Dance Music Manual" by Rick Snoman. It goes over the basics of sound, production, the typical studio, and then IN DETAIL over mixing and even mixing in particular to different genres (which is truly important as each genre calls for its own style mix for the most part).

Now if you are really wanting to dive into this and just learn audio out the ass, I have been suggested a gnarly looking book called "The Science of Sound," many many times. Although someone would have to comfirm that this book is significant as I have yet to collect the capital the buy it(i haz too many books anyways)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-06 02:58:22

Thanks again! Yes, I really am looking to just dive into this. I'll definitely pick up a copy of Dance Music Manual, and look into the other you suggested. Ostensibly it should suit my purposes well... we'll see.

I'm open to more suggestions if anyone has them.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-07 07:17:45

At 7/7/10 05:57 AM, Cabbster wrote: Okay, so I have a 13 MB song and Newgrounds only allows 8 MB, any suggestions on how to lower it other than completely butchering my song in half? What would be the most effective thing to do? Would lowering the bitrate when exporting lower the MBs?

Yes, it would. A 13 MB 320 kbps song is usually about 5 minutes long if I'm correct, so lowering the bitrate to 192 would be sufficient.

New tune: Yag

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-07 08:15:15

At 7/7/10 05:57 AM, Cabbster wrote: Okay, so I have a 13 MB song and Newgrounds only allows 8 MB, any suggestions on how to lower it other than completely butchering my song in half? What would be the most effective thing to do? Would lowering the bitrate when exporting lower the MBs?

<mp3rant>

Well that really doesn't have anything in particular to do with FL studio, but it's a help thread and I'm glad you didn't make a whole new thread to ask that so I'm not bugging.

With MP3 format you really aren't losing a noticeable amount of quality in compared to higher bit lengths of MP3. The typical MP3 format is already a 17:1 compression ratio to wave format, and so really your audio has already been extremely butchered, and you just wanna trim off some of that gristle on the edges there.

The difference between 320kbps and 192kbps is barely notice-able. Just a tiny bit of extra removed data in the extreme lower end of the dynamics.

</mp3rant>

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-07 09:37:23

At 7/7/10 08:56 AM, Zendra wrote: Hey all, as of today I am a bit more interested in producing some music again. Now I have taken the switch in trying FL. My question to you is: Where can I get good VST plugins or packs that allows me to create sounds/beats similar to what Hans Zimmer used in his Call of Duty MW 2 soundtrack?

Basically all of that stuff is custom synthesized sound fx and orchestral samplers.

There was recently a good discussion on orchestral plugins that you could check out.

As for learning the basis of synthesis I suggest getting some sound design books. There are tons of them out there. Science of Sound, Sound for Animation, Dance Music Manual, and tons more.

But none of that quality comes without good base knowledge in effects processing as well.

FL studio is a great start. Assuming you have a legitimate copy and are registered (which is sad that so many don't), you can click the button I've highlighted in the red box thats located at the top of your screen inside FL studio. From there you can download a number of free sounds including 2 different orchestral packs that arent toooooo bad.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-07 10:31:59

Yo dude, if you have any other inquiries about where to get certain things, take a gander at my News Post

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 06:47:04

Hello folks. I've got a bit of a problem!

As a part of a joke, I want to add a poweful kick to the beat of this song: Kinesiska Muren by Evert Taube. So far I've never tried this kind of thing in FL Studio (using FL Studio 9 btw), so I'm kind of confused. What's the easiest way? FL is having trouble identifying the tempo of the song, also. Help appreciated :)

Kirlian Choices

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 07:04:03

At 7/10/10 06:47 AM, Mad-Muppet wrote: Hello folks. I've got a bit of a problem!

As a part of a joke, I want to add a poweful kick to the beat of this song: Kinesiska Muren by Evert Taube. So far I've never tried this kind of thing in FL Studio (using FL Studio 9 btw), so I'm kind of confused. What's the easiest way? FL is having trouble identifying the tempo of the song, also. Help appreciated :)

Go the the mixer, open up edison in any fx slot and load the song into it. Play the song, then right click the tempo box in FL, and click on the 'Tap..' option. Tap in time with the beat and FL should calculate the tempo from your tapping. Once you have a stable number, click Ok and the tempo should change to that number. Then just load the song as an audio clip and lay it down in the play list.

You can put your PHAT BEATZ underneath it now and hopefully it should be in time.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 07:11:29

Go the the mixer, open up edison in any fx slot and load the song into it. Play the song, then right click the tempo box in FL, and click on the 'Tap..' option. Tap in time with the beat and FL should calculate the tempo from your tapping. Once you have a stable number, click Ok and the tempo should change to that number. Then just load the song as an audio clip and lay it down in the play list.

You can put your PHAT BEATZ underneath it now and hopefully it should be in time.

Thanks alot, I'll try that :D It should be possible to sidechain the whole audio clip too, right? It might sound pretty hilarious :P

Kirlian Choices

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 09:58:46

Sorry for the double post, but I've run into another problem... I did as you said and tapped the tempo, and it matches for a while, but then it stops matching and goes out of tempo. I don't know if i tapped wrong or if the song changes speed, but it sounds terrible. What should I do? :S

Kirlian Choices

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 10:39:03

At 7/10/10 09:58 AM, Mad-Muppet wrote: Sorry for the double post, but I've run into another problem... I did as you said and tapped the tempo, and it matches for a while, but then it stops matching and goes out of tempo. I don't know if i tapped wrong or if the song changes speed, but it sounds terrible. What should I do? :S

It probable changes tempo then. You'll have to automate the tempo to make it match with the song, I'm afraid. It might take a little while to get it perfect if there are loads of tempo changes...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 11:22:02

At 7/10/10 10:39 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:

It probable changes tempo then. You'll have to automate the tempo to make it match with the song, I'm afraid. It might take a little while to get it perfect if there are loads of tempo changes...

Sounds like a lot of work. What is the most efficient way of doing so? Or is there really one?

Kirlian Choices

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 11:32:06

At 7/10/10 11:22 AM, Mad-Muppet wrote: Sounds like a lot of work. What is the most efficient way of doing so? Or is there really one?

Not that I know of, no...

Although I'm a beginner at this stuff, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 11:51:12

Well it's easy to find out if the tempo changes in a track(unless its a very minimal amount like less then 1bpm), but getting the precise automation correct takes a good ear and some patience.

Just tap through the whole piece. Note the times that the tempo begins to rise and sets again(or vise versa). Then make a tempo automation across the whole track, zoom in all the way to that general time slot of tempo change, and try to emulate that with the automation clip. Make sure to keep the metronome on; it will be easier to use rather then kicks because its a sharper sound.

To make sure your tempo taps are more precise, press ctrl-t to toggle the option that turns your keyboard into a mini MIDI interface, and use your keyboard to tap the pace. This is because there is much less delay on keyboard entry then MIDI entry because it has a designated ps/2 port and USB can be crowded by other peripherals.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-10 11:58:20

sorry doublepost

In addition, artists may intentionally make the tempo very awkward(like 97.876BPM) to avoid melodies being sampled and stolen. You're best bet to check that is to select a unique part of the song that you have tapped out and know is constant in tempo, then cut it off and re-save it separate from the rest of the track. In FL studio its very easy to do this by clicking the top left of the automation clip to open its options sub menu and selecting the option "Make Unique"(it may prompt you to save or auto-name it with a 2 added). Then, use FL studios automatic tempo detecting abilities by going to the channel settings for said clip, right clicking the waveform, and clicking "Detect Tempo." It might ask you for a general tempo range, try a few different ranges out until it comes across the same tempo or within 1bpm of your presumed tap tempo.

Likely it will just be an even tempo, but that small variation could also be whats throwing you off.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-11 16:20:16

This is a re-post sorry (check the topic "In Need OF Some Help") I didn't see this topic @ the start.

Hey so I was thinking of coming up with some stuff that sounded sort of similar to this stuff. Since my dog knocked over my drink onto my mac and it just broke (recent) I am back on the Windows Vista, using Fruity Loops.

I know how to record sounds using my MIDI Keyboard in fruityloops with the edison recorder.
I also have a Logitech USB microphone (one of those skype certified ones) so the sound is decent... How do I record my voice using a USB microphone, and get vocal sounds.

Also I am using a Casio CTK-720 MIDI Keyboard, It came with one of those microphones, which just amplifies my voice when the power is on, I am wondering if I can somehow use it... any word would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-11 18:42:13

You could download a free program such as audacity and record it there and export it as a .wav then load it into FL. That's what I do if need be.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-11 21:16:25

At 7/11/10 06:42 PM, Envy wrote: You could download a free program such as audacity and record it there and export it as a .wav then load it into FL. That's what I do if need be.

I was thinking about that... but it seems tedious, was hoping there was a better way...

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-12 18:32:18

Well, I was recording audio in FL9, didn't save, just closed the program.

But, now Fruity Loops thinks its recording all the time even though the record button isn't pressed.

On the Input in the Mixer window it says SigmaTelAudio 1 - SigmaTelAudio 2,

Fruity Loops thinks its recording and I can't hear any audio.

How do I hear my audio and stop the recording?

Has something to do with the Mic too? Perhaps?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-13 10:31:16

At 7/12/10 06:32 PM, iTWMorph wrote: How do I hear my audio and stop the recording?

Has something to do with the Mic too? Perhaps?

First thing to do is to hit the record button, turn it on, try to record something, then stop the player, turn the recording button off. After that go to your audio settings, and change audio drivers (it will reset the connection to the input source). If you are using your computers built in sound card, then just switch to the asio driver and back, or vise versa if you are alreadu using asio. If you don't have ASIO4ALL then go pick it up real quick (its safe/free/universally compatible) and do so. After that, try loading up other projects or templates, and make sure to exit properly.

If by then you are still glitched, then send the devlopers at image line an email, or talk to image-line support. Or just re-install fl studio...

I have never heard of that problem but theres no doubt in my mind that your problem will be solved by one of my suggestions.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-13 16:12:26

hey I am wondering how is this particular effect called and maybe how to do it in FL in this song (and I think mainly in rnb genre) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghFBt-fX mw&playnext_from=TL&videos=VtqTrokwpTs

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-13 17:45:54

At 7/13/10 04:12 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: hey I am wondering how is this particular effect called and maybe how to do it in FL in this song (and I think mainly in rnb genre) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghFBt-fX mw&playnext_from=TL&videos=VtqTrokwpTs

1 - This doesn't even make grammatical sense. So my guess is that you want to know the effect used.

2 - It's in the fricken title hahaha. "Auto Tune" is the name of the effect.