Respond to this Topic
HuIk
HuIk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:19 PM, _Luis_ wrote: HURRY BID NOW!

100% Genuine vote on NG first cash4flash! BID NOW!

I'll take TWO of your slightly worn-out voting socks mister!

Do they come in extra small with pink trim?

px hulk.

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:09 PM, Bezman wrote: My point in asking if there were others you would have chosen is that if there aren't any others you feel worthy of the top 5, then why should there be any more?

Good post btw...

But i see what your saying, and well i guess the system would be better if it was alot more like the academy awards...

where we would vote for best screenplay, Best art/graphics, best music/audio/voice acting, best action, best horror, and so on...

Hmmm... I'd probably agree that reviews should maybe come into it. But then there would be more incentive for folk to leave crappy reviews...

Tough call...

Well there are alot of great reviewers in the top 50 that have go un-noticed but really review with great quality and really see a movie for what it is and reviews with a mind of all aspects of a movie and not just if its a clock movie or is by a well known artist, im just saying there should be a select few voters who really commit themself to watching thease movies, but its just my opinion...

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:32 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote:
At 3/2/05 05:09 PM, Bezman wrote: My point in asking if there were others you would have chosen is that if there aren't any others you feel worthy of the top 5, then why should there be any more?
Good post btw...

Cheers. :-) I try. ;-)

But i see what your saying, and well i guess the system would be better if it was alot more like the academy awards...

where we would vote for best screenplay, Best art/graphics, best music/audio/voice acting, best action, best horror, and so on...

I really don't think splitting it up into categories is necessary. And frankly, I don't think most users are willing (or able) to spend as much time on NG as yourself.

Besides, Gfoxcook already pointed out the inadequacies of the Academy Awards' system, where most of the film remains unseen.

I'd think it'd be a good thing to distance NG from that type of affair...

Well there are alot of great reviewers in the top 50 that have go un-noticed but really review with great quality and really see a movie for what it is and reviews with a mind of all aspects of a movie and not just if its a clock movie or is by a well known artist, im just saying there should be a select few voters who really commit themself to watching thease movies, but its just my opinion...

So you're basically saying the panel should be made much smaller?

But as the panel becomes smaller, personal preference and such becomes an increasing factor.

BlackFenris
BlackFenris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 06:55 PM Reply

I will deposit everyday from this day on so i may be eligible to vote. Until then i can only hope i dont miss a day or i will not be able to participate in this honor.

Crimson-Nova
Crimson-Nova
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 03:46 PM, DareDevilGuy wrote: At times like this, I regret I stopped depositing

Did you miss the boat on this?? Thats funny, cuz I'm on the list and I have 2393 exp.

AntiangelicAngel
AntiangelicAngel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 07:42 PM Reply

I think this is an awesome new... dealy. Hopefully I'll get on the judges panel sometime this year.

f0d
f0d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Wierd... I don't have that much experience and I haven't been recording it for a year, only about half a year, and yet I'm still allowed to vote. Is it because my flash is nominated? Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, so this has probably been answered.

tre

BBS Signature
PimpMasterKDOG
PimpMasterKDOG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 08:30 PM Reply

Something should be implemented, maybe, where you can start at the first movie, and it just runs through all of the movies in the same window, so I don't have to keep clicking and injure my fingers and my eyes. Maybe have it force the voters to completely watch eachand every movie before they're allowed to vote. and stuff. But yeah, this is really cool. I saw a lot of stuff I didn't catch before. I could see this possibly giving a lot of exposure to some of these up and coming artists who aren't very well known, and give them an incentive to keep submitting flash. If I would have known the point system was weighted, I probably would have organized my top 5 a little better. I assumed that since there are five winners, the 1 through 5 ranking would be weighted the same. kbye.

-->KDOG

f0d
f0d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 08:24 PM, food1 wrote: Wierd... I don't have that much experience and I haven't been recording it for a year, only about half a year, and yet I'm still allowed to vote. Is it because my flash is nominated? Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, so this has probably been answered.

Sorry I'm an idiot. I didn't read the whole page. Ignore that post.

tre

BBS Signature
fuSEEk
fuSEEk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:09 PM, Bezman wrote:
At 3/2/05 03:47 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote:
At 3/2/05 09:39 AM, Bezman wrote:
http://ngtlexp.idohost.com/rev-022705-1.html

I'm not even on the list even though i have 209 reviews.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 11:48 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 08:28 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/1/05 09:41 PM, gfoxclock wrote: Secondly: Are the votes at all weighted? By that, I mean by the exp of the user, like our votes are on the portal? Or does everyone have an equal say of the 2000 (well, 1800 or whatever)? And if that's the case, then how do the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th votes weigh differently? Is it basically 5 votes for 1st, 4 votes for 2nd, 3 votes for 3rd, 2 votes for 4th, 1 vote for 5th? And then tally all the votes up?
I like the idea about voluntary flagging of alt accounts. :)

Thanks. I hope it's possible to implement something like that. I'd definitely take part in it to ensure that my main account remains eligible for things like this voting process and for the monthly cashforvotes contests and so forth. I don't like the idea of finding out my alt account won something and then realising I can't claim it because it's my alt. If that system was put into place, such things would be prevented from happening in the first place by taking all indicated-as-an-alt accounts out of the running for them, yanno?

As for the votes you cast - they aren't weighted based on experience points, but yes, a vote of "1st" is worth 5 points and a vote of "5th" is worth 1 point. The submissions are ranked based on total points. We store all the individual voting data and have experimented with various ways to run the numbers. This seems like the most fair way to tally the votes but suggestions are always welcome.

Wahoo, I guessed correctly. Thanks for the confirmation on that. The 5/4/3/2/1 system seems fair to me, and it also makes sense to give everyone a fair even vote in it. I don't think mods or humantarget should get more say than the authors themselves and the lower exp (but still dedicated NG user) people. After all, this is a whole new system, and while you're basing who gets to be in on it on exp, it shouldn't be tied to our normal portal Voting Powers or anything.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, Tom. It's always good to know you've noticed/read a post in these huge topics (sometimes I think I'd be better off e-mailing you #;-}>).

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:03 PM, Micol_Rankin_Games wrote: 1. Have less to choose from. People are lazy......most people....so chances are they REALLY WON'T TRULY view/play through 150 pieces. Either make it less pieces or make a longer time period to view the 150.

How are they going to cut down on the nominations, though? Use only the top 2 from each day instead of the top 5? What about on some days of the week when there's FOUR great movies and another days there's only ONE great movie.

That means that the 2nd place on that second day (which is just a GOOD but not great movie) will get to be nominated for the monthly vote... but that the 3rd and 4th place GREAT movies from the first day do not get to be in the vote.

That would kinda suck, no?

ALSO, I must point this out:

It was kinda a surprise THIS time, but for the March vote on April 1st, it's going to be a lot easier to prepare. Why?

BECAUSE YOU CAN GET STARTED RIGHT NOW.

Wake up, people. The Daily Top 5 on the frontpage of NG is going to be in the next vote. All 31 of them from March. So you can START to get ready for the next vote by trying to watch ALL of the daily top 5 each day (or week, or whatever). By doing so, you'll be prepared for the vote. You could also try watching the top 20 weekly list, if there's any variance there with the daily top 5s (7*5 = 35 per week).

And finally, to catch any other nominees, you'll have to watch all the flash on the frontpage as well. Well, all the NEW flash. Numa Numa Dance obviously doesn't count. #;-}>

2. Categorize the games and the movies seperate. Lets just take a look at the number of games to movies in this competition, not to mention the top 50 slots, and not to mention the number of game submissions to movie submissions. Maybe an award for games and an award for movies seperate. This would give both sides more direct competition, and also level the playing field for those whom submit games (myself included)

I wouldn't mind the game/movie separation, actually. I will be voting for at least one game this time (and one next time, too--Orbox), but... hm. Do you mean there'd be 5 game awards AND 5 movie awards? That's gonna be 2500 bucks. Not sure if Tom wants to spend that much per month + the 100 to a depositor for a total of 2600 in prize money every month. There ARE limits to Tom's generosity, as well there should be. #;-}>

3. Even MORE SELECTIVE group of voters. I know the goal is to include the newgrounds public, however the 2,000 tops may still be a little high of a number for judges. This one not so much as the other two suggestions but still kinda.

That may change, yes. I'll wager that Tom set it to top 2000 active to find out how many of those top 2000 will actually vote (some may be alts, for one thing, and some may have been active in Feb but are not active right now and don't know this is
going on).

At 3/2/05 09:39 AM, Bezman wrote:
At 3/2/05 02:16 AM, gfoxcook wrote: A partially informed vote on this matter is much better than not casting your ballot at all. There are PLENTY of voters, and any ignorance you have of some great work will be more than made up for by the voters who have seen those flashes that you missed.
I suppose I agree that a partially informed vote is better than none at all, but I would strongly urge folk to watch as many as they can.

Tom doesn't expect perfection from us, but yes, obviously watching as many as you can is advised. Still, many people voted as soon as they could, and how many of them do you think had seen all 150 movies? We're only human, man. Not robots.

If folk rely on others to vote for those they may have missed, then we'd end up with a basically skewed 'popularity vote' rather than a genuinely well informed vote of quality as I think the panel was meant to generate.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Some of the movies I had already seen before this vote were NOT the most popular of the movies on the list. I hadn't seen either of the two IllWillPress movies, for instance, but I had seen Destination Mouth, which I doubt is anywhere near as popular as either of those two. I WILL be watching both IllWills in the next day or so, but I doubt either one will be on my list, whereas Destination Mouth is DEFINITELY on it. #;-}>

I was going to suggest again that the voting time be lengthened to 7 days but I suppose if the voting possible winners are known beforehand, as they will be this month, folk will be able to watch them in their own time beforehand anyway.

EXACTLY my point to the other guy. Yar.

Maybe that could be turned into a secret or something for easier reference than looking up the bot's various posts and the frontpage archive? Have a link to see 'the shortlist thus far' or something like that.

Great idea. E-mail it to Tom in case he doesn't see your post.

(snip the rest, but one more thing:)

As for expanding the scope/range of movies nominated/possible to vote on... you could always allow for a "write-in" feature where people put in an "extra 6th vote" with the ID# of the movie from February they want to vote for.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 11:51 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:08 AM, Deadlock32 wrote:
At 3/2/05 02:33 AM, gfoxcook wrote: Come to think of it... I'm not sure what's up with that.
Thanks for finally understanding what was going through my head... but s'ok i'll wait for next month like u = ]

No problemo. But I don't know what you mean by "like u," because I don't have to wait for next month. I'm voting THIS month, too. O_o

At 3/2/05 05:09 AM, mackan_ wrote:
At 3/1/05 09:41 PM, gfoxclock wrote: stuff about his and others alternative accounts
all this talk about alternative accounts, I mean, WHY do people have alternative accounts? is it even allowed? I don't think it should be...

The only thing that alts can be used for that's not allowed on NG is:

A) using one to get around a ban on another account of yours
B) using one to get around any limitations NG imposes (number of topics, number of replies per 30 mins, 2 submissions in the portal a day, etc. etc.)
C) using one to get around a portal submission ban on another account of yours
D) using one to create multiple accounts for spamming up NG either on the BBS or with reviews

Capisce? I hope so. Stop bagging on alt accounts, foolio. I use mine to post when I don't want to disturb my wonderful -00 ending round-numbered postcount on this account (like the 7900 I'm going to hit as soon as I post this... if I want to post again before my list updates are due on Saturday, I'll be using gfoxclock, my alt).

Plus I have another alt for my gf to use if she needs a NG account ever. :::nods:::

At 3/2/05 07:19 PM, Crimson-Nova wrote:
At 3/2/05 03:46 PM, DareDevilGuy wrote: At times like this, I regret I stopped depositing
Did you miss the boat on this?? Thats funny, cuz I'm on the list and I have 2393 exp.

And you're ranked around #2500 in exp, too. Thanks for confirming my thought that one doesn't need 3650 exp (as of now, at least) to qualify for this vote.

Now, by next month, it's possible that more and more of the idle people will resume getting exp due to noticing it has a VERY practical use now aside from good ol' Voting Power.

At 3/2/05 08:24 PM, food1 wrote: Wierd... I don't have that much experience and I haven't been recording it for a year, only about half a year, and yet I'm still allowed to vote. Is it because my flash is nominated? Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, so this has probably been answered.

You don't need to read the THREAD to find out, read the FAQ about the voting:

http://www.newgrounds.com/monthlyvote.html

(I know you said to ignore that post, but I already typed this out PLUS other people might be wondering the same thing, so now the link's on page 10 for them to see as well, kay? Kay)

At 3/2/05 08:30 PM, PimpMasterKDOG wrote: Something should be implemented, maybe, where you can start at the first movie, and it just runs through all of the movies in the same window, so I don't have to keep clicking and injure my fingers and my eyes. Maybe have it force the voters to completely watch eachand every movie before they're allowed to vote. and stuff.

PMKD, I loves ya but... are you insane? O_o

Tom didn't tell us to see all 150 movies before we vote, and I don't think he'd even dream of telling us to do that or REQUIRING us to do that. He knows that users don't have 24 hours of free time per day and he also knows that people might already have their favourites. We're trusted to vote based on QUALITY and not on other matters, and that's enough. If you've only see 50 of the 150 movies and you vote based on the top 5 of that 150, it's still a valid vote.

At 3/2/05 12:46 PM, Morextremist wrote: I don't think users who just vote on flash should be eligible for $100 cash, maybe a discount for a product like macromedia flash or something. Maybe get them to be a contributor...

Voting on movies isn't AS valuable as a contribution to Newgrounds as submitting quality flash is, but it is STILL a contribution. Let Tom do what he wants with a mere 100 per month. It's NOTHING compared to the 250 * 5 = 1250 that's going to flash authors each month, eh? So why the complaining about non-flash authors?

BBS Signature
PimpMasterKDOG
PimpMasterKDOG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 12:06 AM Reply

At 3/2/05 11:51 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
PMKD, I loves ya but... are you insane? O_o

Tom didn't tell us to see all 150 movies before we vote, and I don't think he'd even dream of telling us to do that or REQUIRING us to do that. He knows that users don't have 24 hours of free time per day and he also knows that people might already have their favourites. We're trusted to vote based on QUALITY and not on other matters, and that's enough. If you've only see 50 of the 150 movies and you vote based on the top 5 of that 150, it's still a valid vote.

Yes I am insane. Yes I have free time. I didn't really mean to watch all of them, just something so you can browse through them easier. I want this to be as efficient like german sex.

-->KDOG

CrawlAway
CrawlAway
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 12:55 AM Reply

i feel honored to be apart of the voting, and i casted mine. cant wait to see the results. nice idea tom

social-misfit
social-misfit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 04:40 AM Reply

I'm on the panel! I feel fucking special.

PiGPEN
PiGPEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 07:11 AM Reply

At 3/2/05 05:19 PM, _Luis_ wrote: just two more days to bid on a chance to be in ng history. My auction for a chance to login and take my vote, auction is now is at $325.50. free shipping and handling. Paypal is OK.

ah wtf? you'll make more than the winners...that aint right.

BBS Signature
Back-Door-Baron
Back-Door-Baron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 07:35 AM Reply

I know I'm completely off topic here (from what you guys seem to be talking about), but I have finally submitted my choices and I feel fairly confident about them. Wow, there were a lot of good submissions from which to judge.

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

Matt-Merrill
Matt-Merrill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 12:51 PM Reply

Hmm, I know it's nice to have a large list of nominees to vote on, but I reeally don't have the time to watch all of those. So I'm very sorry to all those who's movies I didn't get around to viewing. I did watch more flash movies than I have ever watched in one day though!!

Also, does anyone know how the movies were ordered on that list?? Are they just randomly on there? It's not alphabetic and it's not by date.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 12:58 PM Reply

At 3/3/05 12:51 PM, Matt_Merrill wrote: It's not alphabetic and it's not by date.

Yes, it is alphabetic.

TheGoldCrow
TheGoldCrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 02:13 PM Reply

All I remember is I picked:
1st -Play-
2nd: Stick Slayer

I Forget teh rest

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 3/2/05 11:50 PM, gfoxcook wrote: We're only human, man. Not robots.

So says one of the guys who voted on thousands to raise the judgement level.

Masculine
Masculine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Artist
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Took me close to 40 minutes in deciding my vote. Some top quality flash choices make it hard to decide.

RegisCartoons
RegisCartoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 05:47 PM Reply

So, tomorrow gonna be the BIG day, I guess ;)

Micol-Rankin-Games
Micol-Rankin-Games
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 3/3/05 05:47 PM, Regis_Cartoons wrote: So, tomorrow gonna be the BIG day, I guess ;)

Yeah, good luck to everyone who is an author of these very hard to do flashes. The talent level on this site is incredible and I am actually (as gay as this sounds) honored to be creating with you all.

Ben-Spurgin
Ben-Spurgin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 3/3/05 10:04 PM, Micol_Rankin_Games wrote:
At 3/3/05 05:47 PM, Regis_Cartoons wrote: So, tomorrow gonna be the BIG day, I guess ;)
Yeah, good luck to everyone who is an author of these very hard to do flashes. The talent level on this site is incredible and I am actually (as gay as this sounds) honored to be creating with you all.

Likewise!!

Matt-Merrill
Matt-Merrill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 3/3/05 12:58 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/3/05 12:51 PM, Matt_Merrill wrote: It's not alphabetic and it's not by date.
Yes, it is alphabetic.

Oh wait... you're right. Mine was out of order because it had "- -" around it.

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 10:50 PM Reply

I was eligible, I just casted my votes.

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 3/3/05 10:41 PM, Matt_Merrill wrote:
At 3/3/05 12:58 PM, liljim wrote: Yes, it is alphabetic.
Oh wait... you're right. Mine was out of order because it had "- -" around it.

Yeah, I saw that and wondered to myself - will a few folk be tempted to include punctuation before their title, just to have it higher on the list?

I doubt it, but it was an interesting thing to ponder for a few seconds.

Me and my exciting life... :-/

Just to check, there's slightly under 25 hours left now, right? I mean, I presume the deadline's the NG roll-over, i.e. around 5amGMT?

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 3rd, 2005 @ 11:24 PM Reply

At 3/3/05 10:41 PM, Matt_Merrill wrote: Oh wait... you're right. Mine was out of order because it had "- -" around it.

Righty. :)