Respond to this Topic
Scribbler
Scribbler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 10:13 PM Reply

Haha! I love the new system. It brings a whole new sensational sense of superiority and professionalism. I understand that not all users will be able to participate but it is a good way to filter out mass voting (as has already been said.) I really like this and look forward to voting and choosing the best submissions each month. Yeah!

gltovar
gltovar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 10:22 PM Reply

So, if I was part of a submission with multiple authors and I didnt submit it did I loose my spot on the judging... or was I not active enought during feb?

Portal-Diver
Portal-Diver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 3/1/05 10:22 PM, Deadlock32 wrote: So, if I was part of a submission with multiple authors and I didnt submit it did I loose my spot on the judging... or was I not active enought during feb?

Ya, only authors who submited (i.e the first name) gets to be on the judging pannal and also you need to be active to be on it.

TheSaladCaper
TheSaladCaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 10:30 PM Reply

A suggestion for future competitons: Could you maybe implement something that allowed us to see how many votes we recieve as the voting is in process?

MisterSambert
MisterSambert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 10:37 PM Reply

few hundred more experience points needed for me before Im elegible :(

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature
gltovar
gltovar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 3/1/05 10:26 PM, Portal_Diver wrote:
At 3/1/05 10:22 PM, Deadlock32 wrote: So, if I was part of a submission with multiple authors and I didnt submit it did I loose my spot on the judging... or was I not active enought during feb?
Ya, only authors who submited (i.e the first name) gets to be on the judging pannal and also you need to be active to be on it.

No im asking if, because I am not the author the submitted the movie if that is the reason why I can't be on the judging.

RussianDumbass
RussianDumbass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 11:09 PM Reply

haha, I get to be one of the judges. magnificent.

(only because I got one of my submissions in there)
vooooteeee Mindless Havoc!!!

Dukeonurshoe
Dukeonurshoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 11:19 PM Reply

this new system is awesome, it just makes the top 2000 ppl feel so special lol as sad as that sounds haha i love this site!!! i voted for my top 5 although it was really hard to choose there were just sooo many amazing works to pick from! I love this system Tom and i hope you all continue it also good luck to all the artists on gettin that top 5 placement and awesome cash prize!!!

~Duke

Beezer
Beezer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 1st, 2005 @ 11:59 PM Reply

I think this is a great idea and am looking forward to voting. My only concern is the number of movies nominated. I wield my vote responsibly around Newgrounds and never vote until I've watched an entire flash. I fear that 150 is too much for me to watch in four days. I think maybe 50 would be a more manageable number for myself.

ScottHanstein
ScottHanstein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:14 AM Reply

That's probably why they chose active members. If you're an active member of the Newgrounds community, chance are you've seen most of them before you clicked the special link on your Gold menu. I know I saw a lot of them before today.

RegisCartoons
RegisCartoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 3/1/05 10:30 PM, TheSaladCaper wrote: A suggestion for future competitons: Could you maybe implement something that allowed us to see how many votes we recieve as the voting is in process?

I think you will be able to hear the results after voting.

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:53 AM Reply

At 3/1/05 04:51 PM, Dobio wrote: Aggressive Alpine Skiing = TEH WIN. I <3 that game so much.

Fuck Yeah. That's all. :)

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 01:43 AM Reply

Wow, there are a lot of flash that I'll need to watch. Better get started... tomorrow.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 3/1/05 10:26 PM, Portal_Diver wrote:

What are you TALKING about? The judging panel is NOT made of ONLY flash artists. You're probably one of the same people who thinks that people who haven't made flashes/submitted flashes aren't qualified to review flashes here on NG, aren't you.

ACTIVE users who deposit EXPERIENCE, whether or not they have any flash movies on NG, are part of the judging panel. You are expected to have seen some of the entries during February (since you are active), and you are supposed to know what makes up a good NG flash due to your high (1+ year's worth) of exp. We've voted on a lot of movies, we've WATCHED a lot of movies. We've blammed and protected a lot of movies, as well, though that doesn't seem to matter for the panel's qualifications, only exp does.

... Although I think with so many inactive high-exp people... the bottom range of the top 2000 ACTIVE depositors is probably under 3650 exp. Not positive on that, though.

At 3/1/05 10:41 PM, Deadlock32 wrote: No im asking if, because I am not the author the submitted the movie if that is the reason why I can't be on the judging.

Again, author status has nothing to do with whether you can judge the movies or not. It's supposed to be anyone in the top 2000 exp who is active. You're in the top 2000 exp, so... if you don't see the link Tom showed a picture of in your GG menu, the explanation must be that you haven't deposited your exp enough or whatever to count as an ACTIVE member for the purposes of the panel's requirements.

At 3/1/05 11:09 PM, RussianDumbass wrote: haha, I get to be one of the judges. magnificent.

(only because I got one of my submissions in there)
vooooteeee Mindless Havoc!!!

Let's keep the whoring down to a minimum, eh wot? The judges will vote for whoever they want to vote for, including you. Use your vote for Mindless Havoc, but please don't plead with other people to vote the same way. o_o

At 3/1/05 11:59 PM, Beezer wrote: I think this is a great idea and am looking forward to voting. My only concern is the number of movies nominated. I wield my vote responsibly around Newgrounds and never vote until I've watched an entire flash. I fear that 150 is too much for me to watch in four days. I think maybe 50 would be a more manageable number for myself.

You're lucky February only has 28 days, or there'd be even MORE than 150 movies, there'd be 165 if it had 31 days (5 * 3 = 15 extra daily award winners).

As for watching all 150... Look, for the Academy Awards, there are 5 nominees for every category, and it'd be GREAT if all the voters watched ALL the movies that were related to the nominees for the categories they're voting on. But the basic truth (and this is no secret) is that many of the voters don't have the time nor inclination to watch that many movies. And they have a YEAR's worth of time to do so, I might add. After the nominations are made a few months before the awards, "sample DVDs" or whatever are made up for all the voters, and it's basically a ton of clips. They don't all vote on the entirity of movies, though if they're voting for an actor, they may watch all of the main scenes and dialogue... and if they're voting for special effects, they will see all of the main SFX sequences, etc. etc.

The reason I just told that story is that it is clear that few of the voters for the top 5 flash of the 150 nominees will be watching the ENTIRITY of all 150 flashes. You have a few options. If, like me, you have seen a lot, but not all of the movies, during the past month... then you can spend the next couple of days watching the ones you wanted to get around to watching anyway, anything that strikes your eyes, and perhaps stuff you already saw but want to watch again to compare to the other stuff. If you don't get around to everything, so be it.

OR... you can try to watch at least a sampling of all the movies/games. OR... you can just go based off of what you already know. Dive in and rank your 5 favourite right now. That might not seem fair to the other entries, but let's say you're a huge X-Men fan. Those two X-Men movies are probably getting your #1 and #2 votes, no matter HOW good most of the other stuff is, whether you watch it or not. And then you've got 3 more spots to fill out for your #3, 4, and 5. And let's say you love Alpine Skiing and you loved Destination Mouth and you loved Bunnykill. Well? I say you vote for those five movies. Go and check out some other movies if you have the time... to make sure that you don't find a fluke awesome movie that's better than one of those five. But don't feel guilty if you don't have the time to watch all 150. A partially informed vote on this matter is much better than not casting your ballot at all. There are PLENTY of voters, and any ignorance you have of some great work will be more than made up for by the voters who have seen those flashes that you missed.

(gasp, pant, wheeze).

End.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:26 AM Reply

At 3/2/05 01:43 AM, someone_else wrote: Wow, there are a lot of flash that I'll need to watch. Better get started... tomorrow.

Not really... i seen all thease and i still say increase the number of selected nominations...

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:33 AM Reply

At 3/1/05 10:41 PM, Deadlock32 wrote: No im asking if, because I am not the author the submitted the movie if that is the reason why I can't be on the judging.

Come to think of it... I'm not sure what's up with that. Tom's explanation in the FAQ page seemed to suggest that only the MAIN submitting author of a collab would get to vote... but I kinda assumed that meant only if all the authors were NONactive and/or NONtop2000. But now that I read it again, I'm not positive. I suppose if you don't have your link it could be EITHER of those things you originally mentioned. Either the lack of primary authorship or the lack of activity. It's clearly not because you're not in the top 2000--because you are. So... that's the only thing that's for sure. Sorry I can't be more helpful, perhaps you should e-mail Tom or another admin if he doesn't see this page and respond to your concerns before too long (just in case it's a glitch that you can't vote).

anywho, as I mentioned before, I won't be voting for a couple of days while I try to catch up on some of the flashes I would have liked to watch already but haven't yet. My favourite two flashes over the past couple of weeks, unfortunately, are:

Orbox (fun game I just finished all 25 levels of a few minutes ago.. woot woot!)
3 3ast 3 3urious (hahahah... best movie trailer parody EVAR)

So... if you can't tell, my main problem with this top 5 voting is that I can't vote for those two, as they were submitted in March. ;_; So I'll have to wait until April Fool's Day to vote for 'em, I guess. #;-}>

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Mynt
Mynt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:41 AM Reply

I voted on some of the more obscure ones to give them a chance. I figured Aggressive Alpine Skiing, Interactive Buddy, Bunnykill 2, etc. would have no problem racking up votes. Good luck authors!

Top Five February Voting!

xritualfaminex
xritualfaminex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:49 AM Reply

as many have already stated this is an excellent idea. Expect the overall quality of flash submissions to be even higher now that there's green involved. :)

HairydragonballZ
HairydragonballZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:01 AM Reply

I saw the link in my account and voted
before I even knew what the hell it was.

Then after I voted I went to the BBS
and noticed this thread and felt privileged
to have been able to participate
but if not for the thread I would have
thought that everyone was able to vote.

Are we allowed to discuss our choices?
if so.....

1. Aggessive Alpine Skiing
2. X-Men:Dark Phoenix Rising
3. rocketDRIVE
4. The World of Abbreviation
5. Proto

MessiaH
MessiaH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:28 AM Reply

I am one of those judges.

CheveLoco
CheveLoco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:33 AM Reply

im a judge...cool

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:35 AM Reply

At 3/1/05 09:34 AM, Zendra wrote: I'm a judge aswell.

would it be quicker to ask who isn't a Judge?

-Judge Dredd.

MessiaH
MessiaH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:36 AM Reply

Ok, let's ask - WHO ISN'T A JUDGE???

691,000 replies...

MasterUnlucky
MasterUnlucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 3/2/05 03:28 AM, _MessiaH_ wrote: I am one of those judges.

Experience: Ranked # 2,944 out of 691,531 users!

Such bullshit.

WilliamDell
WilliamDell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:55 AM Reply

Well, this is my first post on the BBS, and I just had to post since I'm actually one of the lucky people to get the opportunity to be a judge. I've been a user here for a little bit over a year and I'm ranked in the top 1000 experience was so in that aspect there is nothing to complain about. Hmm, maybe after this I may or may not post on the BBS. Still need to decided on the 5 to vote for, which I will do after I finish watching them all (even the ones I've seen before).

Headcase88
Headcase88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 04:04 AM Reply

Well Game-Makers, celebrate the fact that at least one out of 2000 of those judges is voting for you ;)

I'm right on the line, I guess, #2196, so there's at least 196 people in the top 2195 that haven't logged on this month...

And FYI, my #1 pick comes in at Sky Boarder III Ver2. Good job, Micol =)

Headcase88
Headcase88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 04:07 AM Reply

At 3/2/05 03:38 AM, InternetIsSerious wrote:
Experience: Ranked # 2,944 out of 691,531 users!

Such bullshit.

Either bullshit, or 2/3 of the top-ranked people haven't logged in... or the system is buggy.

Headcase88
Headcase88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 04:08 AM Reply

Sorry to post so frequently, but I meant 1/3, not 2/3. Still unlikely, if you ask me.

gltovar
gltovar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 05:08 AM Reply

At 3/2/05 02:33 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
Come to think of it... I'm not sure what's up with that.

Thanks for finally understanding what was going through my head... but s'ok i'll wait for next month like u = ]

raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Top Five February Voting! Mar. 2nd, 2005 @ 05:09 AM Reply

At 3/1/05 09:41 PM, gfoxclock wrote: stuff about his and others alternative accounts

all this talk about alternative accounts, I mean, WHY do people have alternative accounts? is it even allowed? I don't think it should be...