00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TallBird just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

422,912 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-03 21:10:27

also if you answer the questionare you get something special on the site

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 02:32:51

can i join this club?

Have you heard about silat? an eastern martial art that i proud about!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 03:45:05

At 10/3/04 09:07 PM, dsmking wrote: lethal i plan to kill you with a side kick :p

OH NOES! O_O;;
I forgott to mention that the sidekick is one of my favorite techniques as well ^_^;;

Just a question dsm, if you don't consider yourself great and never will, do you consider yourself the exact opposite then?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 09:44:17

At 10/4/04 02:32 AM, synchronixxxer wrote: can i join this club?

Have you heard about silat? an eastern martial art that i proud about!

Pencak ksilat? Yeah, a guy from my former class and who is now practicing kickboxing with me did it. But their master had to stop because his mother was sick. I can't say it was impressive from what I saw, but I should never judge a sport by that kid, he brings his inhaler with him to kickboxing because he has astma, so he can't hold it out for long.

But yeah I heard about it and played both pencak ksilat games on NG.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 10:00:48

I've heard of it, but i've never seen it -_o

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 13:09:05

Shooooes?

Are you using shoes when you train or not?
A year back I started to get blisters filled with blood by training in the dojo, wich really hurted, so I got myself a pair of those TKD shoes (basicly good for in-doors gymnastic activities) and I started using them.
And I have to say, they're very good. It feels really good to have that small weight added to your legs, cause it helps one out in some techniques and so on.

Meanwhile I used them, my hardenend soles was getting weaker and softer and all that, and a few days back at practice, we had this other blackbelt to teach class, and he said that everyone who had shoes on, takes them off (then he mumbled something about how shoes are only used for dancing...), and damn did it suck.
I wasn't used to it at all.
My legs felt way to light and easy to use, so I couldn't put any weight and force behind my techniques and all that...
And I don't use any footgear for sparring. I like my shins hardened, as well as my feet, but now that I took off my shoes, I hitted someone on the elbow and damn it hurted!

So, you could say that i'm inspired to harden my soles again, so i've been kicking heavybag the entire weekend without my precious shoes... I take them on the last 5 min though :).

So, do you use any type of shoes or footwear?
In TKD it's usually optional, but I know that in Wushu for example, shoes are required.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 14:23:47

At 10/4/04 01:09 PM, Letahlity wrote: So, do you use any type of shoes or footwear?
In TKD it's usually optional, but I know that in Wushu for example, shoes are required.

Neh, I don't use footwear, the floor is made out of soft mats anyway. Some guys at our club use shoes, you know like those real boxing shoes.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 14:48:58

At 10/4/04 02:23 PM, -Akula- wrote:
At 10/4/04 01:09 PM, Letahlity wrote: So, do you use any type of shoes or footwear?
Neh, I don't use footwear, the floor is made out of soft mats anyway. Some guys at our club use shoes, you know like those real boxing shoes.

We got this hard floor that reminds me abit of sandpaper. It really, really stings at times.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 15:02:38

I dont consider myself anything i just do it. if you judge yourself you kind of limit yourself in my opinion. And the shoes thing im supposed to wear them during demos cause speed techniques can really kill your feet if you hit it wrong and shit but shoes make you fall sometimes and i dont have money for them

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 15:34:11

At 10/4/04 03:02 PM, dsmking wrote: I dont consider myself anything i just do it. if you judge yourself you kind of limit yourself in my opinion.

How does knowing oneself limit you...?
I'm not talking about judging, i'm talking about knowing.
Not judging yourself, not knowing yourself, only means that you have no idea what so ever who you are.
I am Tobias C. E. Andersson (it's common with 2 middlenames in sweden), and that's all there is to knowing who I am in my book.

But I mean knowing your own weaknesses and strengths.
How will you be able to weight out your weaknesses and know what to work more on if you don't know what your weaknesses are?
You may say that you don't think about it or decide wich one of this and that you feel the most and what so ever...
But honestly. Your mind has, with or without your conciousness already made those decision.
What to love, what to hate, what to like, what to dislike.

And hey, i'm not trying to sound great, nor am I trying to show off, but my tip to you would be to get to know yourself and find out what you like and what you believe is worth fighting for and what so ever.
Because it's very important for martial artist to know oneself. Some of us even consider it a ultimate goal to master onself, me included.

Easy come, easy go.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 15:48:44

At 10/4/04 03:34 PM, Letahlity wrote: But I mean knowing your own weaknesses and strengths.

I know my own stregnths and weakenesses like the back of my hand. im saying you cant really judge yourself to well. Example. you go into a sparring match how do you usually feel invincible. then points are getting scored of you or you slip up then you lose that feeling and get nervous. thats why i try to not put myself to a high standard i just completely focus on the goal not caring on what my skills

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 15:57:55

At 10/4/04 03:48 PM, dsmking wrote:
At 10/4/04 03:34 PM, Letahlity wrote: But I mean knowing your own weaknesses and strengths.
I know my own stregnths and weakenesses like the back of my hand. im saying you cant really judge yourself to well. Example. you go into a sparring match how do you usually feel invincible. then points are getting scored of you or you slip up then you lose that feeling and get nervous. thats why i try to not put myself to a high standard i just completely focus on the goal not caring on what my skills

And isn't the goal to score as many points as possible?
Or, if it's fighting rather then sparring, defeating your opponent?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 15:59:59

At 10/4/04 03:57 PM, Letahlity wrote: And isn't the goal to score as many points as possible?

thats what im focused on. i said that i think. the last entry was very poorly put together

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 16:04:40

At 10/4/04 03:59 PM, dsmking wrote:
At 10/4/04 03:57 PM, Letahlity wrote: And isn't the goal to score as many points as possible?
thats what im focused on. i said that i think. the last entry was very poorly put together

"Don't think. Feel.
It's like a finger pointing towards the moon.
Don't focus on the finger, or you'll miss all that heavenly glory."
- Bruce Lee

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 18:12:53

At 10/3/04 01:40 PM, dsmking wrote: im goin to make a questionare answer if you dare

Alrighty...

1. what is your style

Isshin-ryu

2. what is your rank

Advanced Orange

3. how long have you been doing martial arts

4 to 5 years total

4. have you ever wanted to quit

no

5. how long do you plan to do martial arts

For the rest of my days.

6. what do you consider a martial arts

Any form or style that is used to defend yourself, or others.

7. how many tournaments have you ever done

8. do you consider yourself great

No, I always see my flaws, and I always look for ways to improve myself.

9. do you spar

Every now and then.

10. what is your favorite technique

The technique that is done properly.

At 10/4/04 01:09 PM, Letahlity wrote: Shooooes?

Are you using shoes when you train or not?
A year back I started to get blisters filled with blood by training in the dojo, wich really hurted, so I got myself a pair of those TKD shoes (basicly good for in-doors gymnastic activities) and I started using them.
And I have to say, they're very good. It feels really good to have that small weight added to your legs, cause it helps one out in some techniques and so on.

Meanwhile I used them, my hardenend soles was getting weaker and softer and all that, and a few days back at practice, we had this other blackbelt to teach class, and he said that everyone who had shoes on, takes them off (then he mumbled something about how shoes are only used for dancing...), and damn did it suck.
I wasn't used to it at all.
My legs felt way to light and easy to use, so I couldn't put any weight and force behind my techniques and all that...
And I don't use any footgear for sparring. I like my shins hardened, as well as my feet, but now that I took off my shoes, I hitted someone on the elbow and damn it hurted!

So, you could say that i'm inspired to harden my soles again, so i've been kicking heavybag the entire weekend without my precious shoes... I take them on the last 5 min though :).

So, do you use any type of shoes or footwear?

Heh, I rarely use foot wear. I kindah made my own foot training method... For the past 3 years I've been walking bare foot outside daily. Yes, that means in all weather. It hardened my feet till the point where I can walk on glass and not get cut.
oi
Any ways, I'm on vacation, so, I'm going to train on the beach, after this wedding is done. Sayonara for now.

*bows*

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 19:15:17

Shinro want to join the recent debate. It is can you ever consider yourself great. Lethal is on the side where you can and im on the side that you cant. Someone else is on his side too i think

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 19:20:59

Hey, I made a club like this awhile ago, but it never went anywhere. I'm glad that the idea is now spreading. Well, anyway, I do tae kwondo (like in my username TKD), and ive been doing it for about three years. It may not be that long compared to many others out there, but I think im doing pretty well. If anyone else does tkd it'll be great to talk about it. I may not be on that much though, so don't expect an instant reply. I'll try to search anyone who says they do it in their reply though.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-04 19:31:43

At 10/4/04 07:20 PM, TKDdan wrote: Hey, I made a club like this awhile ago, but it never went anywhere. I'm glad that the idea is now spreading. Well, anyway, I do tae kwondo (like in my username TKD), and ive been doing it for about three years. It may not be that long compared to many others out there, but I think im doing pretty well. If anyone else does tkd it'll be great to talk about it. I may not be on that much though, so don't expect an instant reply. I'll try to search anyone who says they do it in their reply though.

Couple things in order to join
1. Take martial arts
2. love martial arts
3. live martial arts
4. o and put a link of the club in your sig(helps spread the word. THIS INCLUDES AMP!!)

Alot of people in this club do tae kwon do so dont feel alone. THis club almost died a while ago but we are doing alot better with like new members everyday. i myself have been doin tae kwon do 5 years and am a 2nd degree 9th gup black belt. fell free to join conversations

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 05:14:00

At 10/4/04 07:31 PM, dsmking wrote:

THIS INCLUDES AMP!!)

No it doen't *waves with hand like a Jedi*

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 05:52:59

At 10/4/04 06:12 PM, Semi-Shinro wrote:

I'm going to train on the beach, after this wedding is done. Sayonara for now.

*bows*

OMG, Shinro! You're getting MARRIED?!
Why didn't you tell us?!
:D

At 10/4/04 07:15 PM, dsmking wrote: Shinro want to join the recent debate. It is can you ever consider yourself great. Lethal is on the side where you can and im on the side that you cant. Someone else is on his side too i think

You are saying that you are great because you don't consider yourself great. And i'm saying you still can be great even though you consider yourself great. The showing off part is diffrent.
Just because you consider yourself great, it doesn't mean you show off. I mean that knowing that you are great is the same as knowing when you are strong.

What you're saying is the same as "You are a master because you don't consider yourself one" and I believe that rather "you become a master when you realize that you are a master".
Dont take me so literally. I hate that. My brother is the same -_-# This is a metaphor, ok? I know that you aren't saying this precisly, but your opinion applies to this.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 09:08:29

At 10/4/04 06:44 PM, Kaosboy85 wrote: Actually if you were to make me a Megaman sig liek the one I have now I'd def use yours over the one I have now!

I have some free time now, I'll search for some megaman gifs.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 11:18:24

At 10/5/04 09:08 AM, -Akula- wrote:
At 10/4/04 06:44 PM, Kaosboy85 wrote: Actually if you were to make me a Megaman sig liek the one I have now I'd def use yours over the one I have now!

LINK Not animated gifs, but might be interesting, lotsa sprites!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 11:35:44

At 10/5/04 11:18 AM, amplefied wrote:
At 10/5/04 09:08 AM, -Akula- wrote:
LINK Not animated gifs, but might be interesting, lotsa sprites!

I already found an anmated gif, I just lack an idea of how to use it.

Here I have a question for you guys.

Do you guys consider capoeira a martial arts? I don't. Seeing as of it's origins ans the way it was invented. It's half dancing half fighting because the Brazilian farmers were not allowed to fight.

And here is another question for the Tae Kwan Do people. Do you guys use those special boxing gloves, the ones that are only closed in the upper half, and Those special kick things on your feet...do you?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 11:52:44

At 10/5/04 11:35 AM, -Akula- wrote: Do you guys consider capoeira a martial arts? I don't. Seeing as of it's origins ans the way it was invented. It's half dancing half fighting because the Brazilian farmers were not allowed to fight.

I've seen that, and it doesn't really look like a martila art, more like break dancing. I'm sure that most of the moves aren't practical. But then what the hell would I know, I've only seeen it on eurosport in some Martial Arts gathering or something.

And here is another question for the Tae Kwan Do people. Do you guys use those special boxing gloves, the ones that are only closed in the upper half, and Those special kick things on your feet...do you?

Yeah we use those kind of gloves, but I'm not sure which ones you mean, there are two kinds the big and the small, the small ones are just stuped and we never use them cause someone could really get hurt, we use the big ones that resemble boxing gloves. And yeah we do use those feet thing too.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 13:48:44

I practice Hon Sang Mu Sa Hapkido, I have been involved im Martial arts for 15 years, I have a 4th Dan Master rank in the martial art I study, I run 4 Martial arts schools.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 14:56:50

At 10/5/04 01:48 PM, Scottsm23 wrote: I practice Hon Sang Mu Sa Hapkido, I have been involved im Martial arts for 15 years, I have a 4th Dan Master rank in the martial art I study, I run 4 Martial arts schools.

ah so you must suck. Jk. damn 15 years thats a long time. so what can you tell us about your style

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 16:10:53

At 10/5/04 01:48 PM, Scottsm23 wrote: I practice Hon Sang Mu Sa Hapkido, I have been involved im Martial arts for 15 years, I have a 4th Dan Master rank in the martial art I study, I run 4 Martial arts schools.

You run 4 martial arts schools...?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 16:21:51

just got back from yorkshire where i was trainin with a few freinds for a week gettin up at 6 in the mornin till 9 at night really takes it out of ya after a week

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 17:00:05

Heh, You're a 4th Dan and the leader of 4 dojos... I personally know 2 10th Dans along with a few other ranked black belts. I personally believe no one should start their own dojo until they reach 5th Dan at least.... or if they are told to by their master to start their own dojo. There are so many dojos started by low ranked blackbelts that have made martial arts look like a joke. I hope you have more skill than your rank shows, or you're just a leader of another bunch of mc dojos...

Lethality: You and dsmking are arguing over 2 different things. You speak of skill, while he speaks attitude. You can have a Lot of skill and also have a bad attitude, although, your attitude can intensify it, or diminish it. I will not take sides because neither of you are right or wrong... You 2 must have a few character traits that don't agree with each other...

Response to Martial Arts Club 2004-10-05 17:07:45

At 10/5/04 05:00 PM, Semi-Shinro wrote:

:You 2 must have a few character traits that don't agree with each other...

Thats old news....... But if you are truely great you dont have to tell yourself that

BBS Signature