00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AaronOkami just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who are you the most brutally honest with?

1,017 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

When you’re critiquing art or other creative work, I feel it’s important to know the person you’re giving it to. We’re on a website where everyone from paid professionals and serious hobbyists to kids who just started out drawing mingle together. With so many different approaches to art, of course you’re going to have to tailor your feedback.

So, that being said, what situations do you give the most brutal honesty, and which do you give the least?

The one person I’m the biggest hardass with (there’s the T rating lol) is @Billy-SuperSkullz and he can vouch for that. I do it because I know he can take it and because he really wants to put the effort into improving his work. I’ve talked to him so much, even chewed him out sometimes, about how he needs more variety in his character designs and artworks, because that seems to be the big thing stopping him from really being at a top skill level with art.

Conversely, I’m the least rigid with some of my younger friends who are just starting and/or have self-confidence problems that I need to be mindful of when I give them feedback. I try to compliment them specifically on the things I think I should encourage them to do, but I admit I need to be better about that, because sometimes

Also, when I’ve known someone for a while, I don’t critique every work in-depth. Art takes time to improve on, and if I be pointed out every flaw every time, I’d be repeating myself a lot, which would get tiring for both of us. Plus, not every submission needs a critique - some are shitposts that aren’t meant to be drawn particularly well. On those, I leave a jokey/memey review in reply.

So what about all of you? Do you agree with this philosophy? How do you vary your feedback?

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 12:30:50

At 4/30/24 12:13 PM, Thetageist wrote: When you’re critiquing art or other creative work, I feel it’s important to know the person you’re giving it to. We’re on a website where everyone from paid professionals and serious hobbyists to kids who just started out drawing mingle together. With so many different approaches to art, of course you’re going to have to tailor your feedback.

So, that being said, what situations do you give the most brutal honesty, and which do you give the least?

The one person I’m the biggest hardass with (there’s the T rating lol) is @Billy-SuperSkullz and he can vouch for that. I do it because I know he can take it and because he really wants to put the effort into improving his work. I’ve talked to him so much, even chewed him out sometimes, about how he needs more variety in his character designs and artworks, because that seems to be the big thing stopping him from really being at a top skill level with art.

Conversely, I’m the least rigid with some of my younger friends who are just starting and/or have self-confidence problems that I need to be mindful of when I give them feedback. I try to compliment them specifically on the things I think I should encourage them to do, but I admit I need to be better about that, because sometimes

Also, when I’ve known someone for a while, I don’t critique every work in-depth. Art takes time to improve on, and if I be pointed out every flaw every time, I’d be repeating myself a lot, which would get tiring for both of us. Plus, not every submission needs a critique - some are shitposts that aren’t meant to be drawn particularly well. On those, I leave a jokey/memey review in reply.

So what about all of you? Do you agree with this philosophy? How do you vary your feedback?

More or less yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:07:39

At 4/30/24 12:13 PM, Thetageist wrote: When you’re critiquing art or other creative work, I feel it’s important to know the person you’re giving it to. We’re on a website where everyone from paid professionals and serious hobbyists to kids who just started out drawing mingle together. With so many different approaches to art, of course you’re going to have to tailor your feedback.

I am aware about being complimentary to help nurture.

However, I find you do take it to the other extreme where it is feeding an individual’s ego when they should be brought back down to Earth. Being nice to someone should never be confused with telling someone something they want to hear.

Yesterday I found you recommending others to block people who was giving brutally honest feedback absolutely unhelpful, given that the person resorted to what I would consider unacceptable methods to farm views.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:14:13

myself

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:29:23

At 4/30/24 01:07 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

I am aware about being complimentary to help nurture.

Hello again, Turkey!

However, I find you do take it to the other extreme where it is feeding an individual’s ego when they should be brought back down to Earth. Being nice to someone should never be confused with telling someone something they want to hear.

Why is it so important to bring someone back down to earth, especially if you don’t know how deeply tunneled into it they may already be? The stigma against depression is still very strong, so of course the people affected are going to want to hide it from everyone except those they trust. Art may be the only thing someone thinks they aren’t completely worthless at. You don’t know how much ego there is to feed - in fact, you’re probably overestimating it, considering we’re in the middle of a global mental health crisis.

Yesterday I found you recommending others to block people who was giving brutally honest feedback absolutely unhelpful, given that the person resorted to what I would consider unacceptable methods to farm views.

I will always be for blocking whoever you want to. Harassment can come in disguise as constructive criticism, and I say this as someone who used to do exactly that and lost multiple friendships to it. Most people are here to do something that makes them happy, and while some find the feedback to be a boost in motivation, others will dwell on one negative critique for days. It does not help that some people take coming across as aggressive to be a point of pride. Mental health is a journey just as much as art is a journey, and it is well within anyone’s right to separate themselves from things that are making their emotional state even more unstable until they feel strong enough to take them on.

If you find the methods used to gather views to be unacceptable, why not use your moderator power to lock those threads before they get traction? Unofficial rules exist in other forums. Since I come to the forum a lot, I can likewise help discourage people from fishing for compliments and asking how to get more views, as I agree that the threads about general art quality or attention don’t really help anyone.

I’m pretty sure I know what’s going to happen next. Please consider everything first.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:30:17

At 4/30/24 01:14 PM, beanvamp wrote: myself

Can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you treat yourself. Can you elaborate on how you talk to yourself about your art?

BBS Signature

@Thetageist

I'm sorry. This is not a joke. I found out what I did thar made you blocked me. And I'm very sorry for what I said in that post about people who have cruches on fictional characters. I'm sorry if I hirr your feelings. I would dealted my post if I could but I can't. Nothing I will say is justified it. It was bullshit. In fact, when a bull takes a shit, the mater of the cell or sonthing becomes internet.

I'm very sorry and I won’t say that stuff again.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:37:23

It's difficult to be brutally honest without coming off as an asshole, and there's a skill to it but I'm not good at it yet. Every other time, I try to phrase things one way or another without being brutal about it.

So the only people I am brutally honest with are a) those who I almost hate because fuck them anyways, b) those who make it clear they're just looking for free labour rather than actually learning anything, c) those who try to squeeze free labour out of others while pretending they're doing a favour to them, and sometimes, not always but just sometimes d) myself.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:39:37

At 4/30/24 01:37 PM, Gimmick wrote: It's difficult to be brutally honest without coming off as an asshole, and there's a skill to it but I'm not good at it yet. Every other time, I try to phrase things one way or another without being brutal about it.

So the only people I am brutally honest with are a) those who I almost hate because fuck them anyways, b) those who make it clear they're just looking for free labour rather than actually learning anything, c) those who try to squeeze free labour out of others while pretending they're doing a favour to them, and sometimes, not always but just sometimes d) myself.

All good ideas. Can you explain the free labor situation a bit more? I think I know what you’re talking about, considering the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Collab fiasco that led to GoAnimate being banned, but I want to hear it from you.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:49:19

I'm not being that much honest, to be honest with you all.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

At 4/30/24 01:39 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 4/30/24 01:37 PM, Gimmick wrote: It's difficult to be brutally honest without coming off as an asshole, and there's a skill to it but I'm not good at it yet. Every other time, I try to phrase things one way or another without being brutal about it.

All good ideas. Can you explain the free labor situation a bit more? I think I know what you’re talking about, considering the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Collab fiasco that led to GoAnimate being banned, but I want to hear it from you.

My example wasn't about art so it doesn't apply to such an extent here, but free labour under the guise of learning is very common in programming. For example, someone describing a problem they have, and more often than not the solution is very particular to their situation -- because I could either give generic advice that they likely won't understand, or I could answer their specific question -- but they copy & paste the answers provided without actually bothering to learn why, so that the next time they ask another question I know that they're tried nothing and are all out of ideas.

Protip: if you put even the slightest amount of effort in your questions, especially including things you've tried that don't work, then it's all fine and good. Hell even replying with a simple followup question is enough. But some random users here and there (never the regs for obvious reasons) just ask a one line question, with an easily googleable answer, and expect others to solve it. That's when the RTFM side of me comes out -- and even then, I try and tone it down, because there's always the possibility that I may be misjudging the situation. Depending on my mood that day at least, lol.

The other example of free labour, well this is probably a very specific situation so I don't know how often it actually happens, but it's living rent free in my mind because that was the first time in a long time I wanted to rip the asshole to shreds, but even then I ended up toning it down tons by essentially asking them to reconsider. Then the asshole just replied with the equivalent of a "k", which honestly I guess I should've expected. In any case, they wanted a developer on their vanity project and they kept saying how it'll have such a great reception because of their existing dem0 and that they couldn't offer to pay anything, but if you pretty please worked for free with them then they may be able to get you an internship with some other person, literally doing work to be able to do more work, as if that was some sort of a godsend.

And then it ended up that they were sexting teens and left the site after having the gall to act like they were the victim (iykyk), so I guess I just regret not tearing the asshole a new one at the time. It's not often I get to go on a powertrip and be completely in the right to do so, after all...

I kid, I kid. It feels nice at the time but it won't change anyone's mind.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 13:58:14

At 4/30/24 01:52 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 4/30/24 01:39 PM, Thetageist wrote:

My example wasn't about art so it doesn't apply to such an extent here, but free labour under the guise of learning is very common in programming. For example, someone describing a problem they have, and more often than not the solution is very particular to their situation -- because I could either give generic advice that they likely won't understand, or I could answer their specific question -- but they copy & paste the answers provided without actually bothering to learn why, so that the next time they ask another question I know that they're tried nothing and are all out of ideas.

Protip: if you put even the slightest amount of effort in your questions, especially including things you've tried that don't work, then it's all fine and good. Hell even replying with a simple followup question is enough. But some random users here and there (never the regs for obvious reasons) just ask a one line question, with an easily googleable answer, and expect others to solve it. That's when the RTFM side of me comes out -- and even then, I try and tone it down, because there's always the possibility that I may be misjudging the situation. Depending on my mood that day at least, lol.

The other example of free labour, well this is probably a very specific situation so I don't know how often it actually happens, but it's living rent free in my mind because that was the first time in a long time I wanted to rip the asshole to shreds, but even then I ended up toning it down tons by essentially asking them to reconsider. Then the asshole just replied with the equivalent of a "k", which honestly I guess I should've expected. In any case, they wanted a developer on their vanity project and they kept saying how it'll have such a great reception because of their existing dem0 and that they couldn't offer to pay anything, but if you pretty please worked for free with them then they may be able to get you an internship with some other person, literally doing work to be able to do more work, as if that was some sort of a godsend.

And then it ended up that they were sexting teens and left the site after having the gall to act like they were the victim (iykyk), so I guess I just regret not tearing the asshole a new one at the time. It's not often I get to go on a powertrip and be completely in the right to do so, after all...
I kid, I kid. It feels nice at the time but it won't change anyone's mind.

iu_1196738_2341174.gif

I cant believe that project got picked up by other people after that, if indeed.... I understood that reference.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 14:00:03

At 4/30/24 01:29 PM, Thetageist wrote:
Why is it so important to bring someone back down to earth, especially if you don’t know how deeply tunneled into it they may already be? The stigma against depression is still very strong, so of course the people affected are going to want to hide it from everyone except those they trust. Art may be the only thing someone thinks they aren’t completely worthless at. You don’t know how much ego there is to feed - in fact, you’re probably overestimating it, considering we’re in the middle of a global mental health crisis.

I’m not going to handle every single person like they’re in the midst of depression, have a social disorder or some other psychological issue.

An individual should not assume someone else has a condition unless they directly say so.

I will always be for blocking whoever you want to. Harassment can come in disguise as constructive criticism, and I say this as someone who used to do exactly that and lost multiple friendships to it. Most people are here to do something that makes them happy, and while some find the feedback to be a boost in motivation, others will dwell on one negative critique for days. It does not help that some people take coming across as aggressive to be a point of pride. Mental health is a journey just as much as art is a journey, and it is well within anyone’s right to separate themselves from things that are making their emotional state even more unstable until they feel strong enough to take them on.

1) I don’t agree with you assuming that person in the thread has a mental health issue.

2) They were very sensitive - I think any point of negative feedback would dampen their pride. Being tactful, I would rather soften the blow by being complimentary, however I think open opinion and clear statements are important.

Personally, I prefer to give criticism to people I know and only when requested as

a) I’m aware of their skill level and how susceptible they are to feedback.

b) They should be aware about where my feedback stems from, and decide for themselves whether I’m talking out of my arse or not.

If you find the methods used to gather views to be unacceptable, why not use your moderator power to lock those threads before they get traction? Unofficial rules exist in other forums. Since I come to the forum a lot, I can likewise help discourage people from fishing for compliments and asking how to get more views, as I agree that the threads about general art quality or attention don’t really help anyone.

I do. I did that yesterday.

I’m pretty sure I know what’s going to happen next. Please consider everything first.

… Don’t play this game.

I’ve banned you twice: once because you called Jack because you didn’t agree with my response, and twice because you continued a stupid disagreement with Template. I’ve zero tolerance to dumb forum antics.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 14:51:25

At 4/30/24 01:30 PM, Thetageist wrote: Can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you treat yourself. Can you elaborate on how you talk to yourself about your art?

i start out by telling myself that i’m incredibly talented and that everybody is going to love my drawings and that i’m gonna make it big as an artist, this lasts for about 5 minutes before i then switch to self-doubt and loathing

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 15:12:23

At 4/30/24 02:51 PM, beanvamp wrote:
At 4/30/24 01:30 PM, Thetageist wrote: Can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you treat yourself. Can you elaborate on how you talk to yourself about your art?
i start out by telling myself that i’m incredibly talented and that everybody is going to love my drawings and that i’m gonna make it big as an artist, this lasts for about 5 minutes before i then switch to self-doubt and loathing

Yeah, this isn’t good…

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 15:18:39

At 4/30/24 02:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 4/30/24 01:29 PM, Thetageist wrote:
I’m not going to handle every single person like they’re in the midst of depression, have a social disorder or some other psychological issue.

An individual should not assume someone else has a condition unless they directly say so.

1) I don’t agree with you assuming that person in the thread has a mental health issue.

2) They were very sensitive - I think any point of negative feedback would dampen their pride. Being tactful, I would rather soften the blow by being complimentary, however I think open opinion and clear statements are important.

Personally, I prefer to give criticism to people I know and only when requested as
a) I’m aware of their skill level and how susceptible they are to feedback.
b) They should be aware about where my feedback stems from, and decide for themselves whether I’m talking out of my arse or not.

I do. I did that yesterday.

… Don’t play this game.
I’ve banned you twice: once because you called Jack because you didn’t agree with my response, and twice because you continued a stupid disagreement with Template. I’ve zero tolerance to dumb forum antics.

Slight difference: I’m not necessarily going to assume that everyone for sure has a problem, but I’m going to remember that I don’t know for sure, and not assume that they can tank the damage from whatever words I choose to throw at them. I also don’t trade insults with them if they take issue with me (as the self-appointed art critics here do).

If I were to do that and they did happen to overreact, it wouldn’t be clear who was in the wrong. However, if I do the best I can to be nice and tactful and they overreact, it becomes clear that this is someone I shouldn’t bother with and I was being reasonable.

Yeah, I am in fact surprised you didn’t ban me because I’m “talking back” to you right now, but it’s a welcome surprise.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 15:21:20

I see - for my self - no need to be brutal at all. Honest, yes, but brutal no.

Just offering suggestions, when asked for (and, very seldom, even if not asked for) and I think I can contribute something.

I'm not the Forum Police or 'Guardian of the Only True Way', and don't want to be (though I have some rather firm opinions on how to best set up comic book pages, specially as a beginner).

If I think that the only possible answer to a request for critic is "Your 'art' stinks and there is no way to fix it" I will most likely not say a thing.

Even so, there are a couple of times that people on the receiving end of my advice, have not taken my suggestions well at all. That's life. Moving on.

If someone disagrees with my opinions that's fine. I'm not the ultimate expert on anything, except on how I would do something.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 15:34:46

I'm brutality honest with whomever wants me to be, I suppose.

Not everyone who's an artist wants critique, some just want to have fun with this hobby and I think that's fine.

I do believe tho that there's a clear line between what's just being honest and being a meanie head, but it seems like some people like to make the line blurry for some reason, this goes for both sides.

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 15:38:06

At 4/30/24 01:49 PM, fe3l1ngsk1lledd wrote: I'm not being that much honest, to be honest with you all.

I see what you did there! 😀

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 15:51:37

At 4/30/24 03:18 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 4/30/24 02:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I’m not going to handle every single person like they’re in the midst of depression, have a social disorder or some other psychological issue.

Slight difference: I’m not necessarily going to assume that everyone for sure has a problem, but I’m going to remember that I don’t know for sure, and not assume that they can tank the damage from whatever words I choose to throw at them. I also don’t trade insults with them if they take issue with me (as the self-appointed art critics here do).
If I were to do that and they did happen to overreact, it wouldn’t be clear who was in the wrong. However, if I do the best I can to be nice and tactful and they overreact, it becomes clear that this is someone I shouldn’t bother with and I was being reasonable.

You’re going to need to add some context on this, because I think you set the bar for “insult” low.

Referring to that thread yesterday, I would not consider calling the artist a “beginner” or “obscure” an insult. The most diplomatic answer would be to not get involved.

Yeah, I am in fact surprised you didn’t ban me because I’m “talking back” to you right now, but it’s a welcome surprise.

It doesn’t surprise me. I don’t engage with you other than when a BBS mod has to jump in.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 16:18:22

I guess myself?????

At 4/30/24 03:51 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The most diplomatic answer would be to not get involved.

Huh, never thought of myself as diplomatic. Only reason I didn't get involved was because I typically can't be bothered with forum drama.

I really want to give my 2 cents on this, about some of the stuff people have said already. I've pretty much lived in fear my whole life, of saying something and people blowing up on me. So you know what I did? I never ever gave my true thoughts, I sugarcoated, beat around the bush. I was constantly paranoid, feeling like people would just freak out on me. It was 10x worse when I lived in the states, everything I said was presented as gray. I still KIND of do it, but I've gotten a lot better

See the thing is, there needs to be balance. You can't just live in fear that someone'll blow up on you because they have x mental condition or problem, even if you said something innocent. That's not fair for you either and HONESTLY, you can say the most innocent thing and people will blow up on you anyway. I do agree with what turkey's saying, you can't really tiptoe around everyone on the off case that they might have a condition. Tbh, I've learnt that it's on them if they want to twist what I say, or react in an explosive way. They have a problem, and that's something they need to work through. That's why therapy exists after all

There's nothing wrong with giving the truth in a polite way, as long as you do it properly. Truth doesn't have to equal being mean, and you don't really have to say everything at once either. There's nothing wrong with letting them know what's wrong and spicing in compliments (as long as you do really mean them, it's not fair to lie about that). If you're doing everything right, it's on them how they want to interpret it. I just don't like it's healthy to base what you say off of a hypothetical bad situation, and one that wasn't really your fault. I feel like that in itself does more good than bad, too, but for your own mental health.

I’m writing this really fast before work so I hope this makes sense

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Anybody putting anything on the internet needs to be prepared for any type of response it may get. We're too deep into the development of online culture for anybody old enough to be posting on NG (13 is young yes, but they're born into the internet so it should be known to them) needs to know this, because they are going to find out regardless. I don't believe in the "don't critique art if people aren't asking for a critique" mindset a lot of people have - especially in the Art Portal, it's an open gallery, you put it there for the people to see, the people should also talk about it. Conversely, anybody giving unprompted critique should be prepared to be ignored, or called an idiot.

I don't tend to agree with people who say they're "brutally honest" because for the most part it's unprompted and tends to not have any good critique at all; or if it does, the unnecessary aggression distracts from otherwise good information. However, sometimes people are just sensitive and getting any feedback that isn't "Waow this is amazing! Can I commission you!?" sends them into a defensive lash out -- You can see this reaction demonstrated on pages 1 and 2 (and probably more of my personal art thread from way back in 2009.

There are about a million problems with how art is viewed and consumed in the 2020's. The demands of constant content generation have completely destroyed any semblance of sustainability illustration and art once had, and the ostensibly level playing field of instagram/twitter making beginner - intermediate - professional artists of all types in the same bucket, competing for the same eyeballs for a measurable metric of approval (likes/retweets) has made this the absolute worst time to get into being an artist as a young person. Hitting the ground trying to run on the same track with industry professionals is an exercise in slanted and unfair self-comparison.

An unfortunate effect of this is that it makes the art so much more personal (in a really negative meta way), since it is a measure of objective value as an individual, so a low amount of views/likes hurts the ego a bit, but any form of negative feedback in the form of a critique ends up being an assault on your value as an online being. This is extremely unhealthy and will lead to faster burnout and stress any artist out. It will also lead to a complete and utter unwillingness to accept feedback, and grow.

Brutal Honesty isn't the problem, but I think Theta-Geist is right that mental health of the person being critiqued is a big issue. And the simple reality is unless you're going to explicitly state at the top - I don't want feedback that could potentially be construed as negative - you must be ready to hear something you do not want to hear, and accept that it might also even be true, (and if it isn't true have the maturity to disagree and not spiral into a manic episode)

On the flipside as a reviewer, ad-hominen attacks are not acceptable, insults are not acceptable, surface level opinions "looks bad" are not helpful without further expansion "looks bad because" and even better "looks bad because ___ here's how you might be able to fix it."

All this being said, to answer the question: I am most brutally honest with people who refuse to grow, and do not ever do the work they complain about not doing, and then continue to do that forever.

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 18:03:17

I’m only “brutally honest” when I’m either pressured to do so or if someone genuinely asks and even that I barely wish to do. Otherwise, I only look for or discuss about pieces I like or at the very least able to say something cheeky about it. I tend to just ignore or avoid pieces that either personally doesn’t do anything for me, repulsed by it, related to a media subject I hate or have no interest in, or it’s improperly rated based on its subject matter.

I’m not exactly for making any potential drama for pieces I’m just casually perusing through and not taking any of them too seriously. Hell, I stop commenting any artist’s works if they begin to make serious rebuttals over any of my casual comments. If they have any sincere objections to what I say, then I’ll just end it before any of it escalates.

Why make mountains out of molehills?

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 20:17:17

Hopefully no one, I try to be nice with critiques and only give them when asked.

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 21:53:50

I tend to be the most brutally honest towards artists that put more effort into being emotionally manipulative by guilt-tripping others for interaction than improving their artistic capabilities. I actively avoid saying anything positive or negative about their art and only tell objective ways to improve the quality of their art; after-all if the art is objectively bad, it then stands to reason there are ways to objectively improve the art. I find that being negative or positive about a Debby Downer's art only gives them exactly what they want, undeserved attention and validation in their desires to never put the effort into improving.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 22:04:37

Nobody. I don't need more hurtful words to tell the truth. Truth often hurts enough as is, no matter how nice or hurtful anybody make it seem to be.

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 22:36:30

There is very little benefit to brutal honesty. The vast majority of people take it as an attack on their ego, become defensive, and then become even more resistant towards any advice that would actually be helpful to them.

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-04-30 23:47:33

Everyone is a hero on their own journey. Journeys can have lots of goals and endpoints for people. Heroes will meet many challenges on their journey, theyll face difficulties, monsters, and meet a lot of other adventurers. How a hero faces these challenges and monsters or even how they behave around other adventurers will be very different. What works for one hero may not work for another. There are lots of nice adventurers that dont want to get in the way of others, they're content to watch other people go about things their own way or cheer along others regardless of what they're doing. Theres also other adventurers that will force another to stop and answer a question. Sometimes these questions are hard to answer and some, maybe even most of the adventurers asked these questions run away, attack or go crazy, but some of them will stand their ground and get stronger.

Heroes on their journey do not get to decide who they encounter when they go outside on their quest, even if they stick to the shadows or use a shield, they always make too much noise and lose initiative to other adventurers.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Who are you the most brutally honest with? 2024-05-01 00:12:12

At 4/30/24 11:47 PM, Template88 wrote: Everyone is a hero on their own journey. Journeys can have lots of goals and endpoints for people. Heroes will meet many challenges on their journey, theyll face difficulties, monsters, and meet a lot of other adventurers. How a hero faces these challenges and monsters or even how they behave around other adventurers will be very different. What works for one hero may not work for another. There are lots of nice adventurers that dont want to get in the way of others, they're content to watch other people go about things their own way or cheer along others regardless of what they're doing. Theres also other adventurers that will force another to stop and answer a question. Sometimes these questions are hard to answer and some, maybe even most of the adventurers asked these questions run away, attack or go crazy, but some of them will stand their ground and get stronger.
Heroes on their journey do not get to decide who they encounter when they go outside on their quest, even if they stick to the shadows or use a shield, they always make too much noise and lose initiative to other adventurers.

Maybe it’s because I’m tired and under the weather, but I don’t quite get the metaphor. Who are the heroes in your eyes?

BBS Signature