00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Feenixs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat

4,375 Views | 181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 00:49:07

I got so hyped on myspace deathcore I'm actually gonna explode.

iu_1184518_12978769.jpg

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 03:38:28

To you traditional artists, lemme ask you somethin’!

Has anyone ever made one art piece using ALL of the sketch pencils in your set? Because I have a set and I only use 3 at most!

iu_1184542_8152063.webp

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 07:38:39

I'm really going bonkers right now for drawing and sketching in ink. Like cross-hatching. I love it. Can't put my finger on it, but the one mark chance of a pen makes it special to me. It's cheap as hell too, so just need any regular pen for this.

iu_1184585_20436071.jpg

Just look at that, has a unique look that I simply can't replicate with graphite or charcoal. I would LOVE to animate using merely just a pen without fancy blending shading or detailed coloring.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 07:39:40

At 4/4/24 03:38 AM, OviManic wrote: To you traditional artists, lemme ask you somethin’!
Has anyone ever made one art piece using ALL of the sketch pencils in your set? Because I have a set and I only use 3 at most!

Use whatever you need to. It doesn't make sense to use every single one of them when 2-3 is good enough for a variety of tone ranges.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 07:49:22

At 4/4/24 07:39 AM, xeiavica wrote: Use whatever you need to. It doesn't make sense to use every single one of them when 2-3 is good enough for a variety of tone ranges.

You wanna know how quick I forgot the post I made!? Yeah, 7 of the usual 10 sets are often the optional ones, but it’s always those three I keep using that I begin questioning why I have the rest. Backups? Ah, it’s just a dumb question anyways!

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 08:34:29

At 4/4/24 03:38 AM, OviManic wrote: To you traditional artists, lemme ask you somethin’!

It always varies from project to project. I'd suggest trying to use the other pencils besides your main 3 to experiment with and find different techniques. You might find that you end up using them all at some point haha

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 13:47:52

I can kind of see why there are that many since they can be more convenient for achieving a different outcome, but overall, whatever pencil that works like a normal pencil is more than enough for me lol.

If you actually use all of those and know how to, then that's pretty good, it just depends on what feels best for your workflow (you need to experiment to be able to tell this tho)

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 16:12:53

At 4/4/24 07:38 AM, xeiavica wrote: I'm really going bonkers right now for drawing and sketching in ink.

I’ve always been a major supporter of using cheap bic pens for art. They have a surprisingly large range of potential lineweight and value variance, a unique texture, and the aesthetic - even when executed to a professional level - is relatable to any audience on closer inspection of the textures.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-04 18:47:34

I'm a total grug when it comes to picking brushes in Krita. I've literally only used that one basic brush that changes size based on pressure and the airbrush. I occasional look through the textured brushes if I need to put in a little extra brain power.

iu_1184853_9507916.webp

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 00:02:57

At 4/3/24 04:41 PM, Dolorious wrote: 5 more days until the total eclipse. Anybody making eclipse themed art right now?

I did do a piece a couple months ago titled "Eclipse" that features one, but it was more done to convey the fact that I had just finished watching Berserk and less in preparation for a real-life eclipse.

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 00:07:19

At 4/5/24 12:02 AM, switzrr wrote:
At 4/3/24 04:41 PM, Dolorious wrote: 5 more days until the total eclipse. Anybody making eclipse themed art right now?
I did do a piece a couple months ago titled "Eclipse" that features one, but it was more done to convey the fact that I had just finished watching Berserk and less in preparation for a real-life eclipse.

Ah I see. The og Berserk or the CGI 2016 Berserk?

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 02:19:42

I got shadowbanned.

iu_1185037_3945050.png

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 06:53:30

At 4/5/24 02:19 AM, Czyszy wrote: I got shadowbanned.

I'm gonna get this out of the way at the top:

You did not get shadowbanned. There are no Shadowbans on Newgrounds, there are full bans from aspects of the site. If you were banned from posting art you would not be able to upload Art PERIOD.

You are De-Scouted; you can still post art to your userpage, and it will still show up in the undiscovered artists section. You can become eligible to be Scouted into the Art Portal again by improving your skills as an artist.

I see you pop up with these types of comments every few weeks or so, and never really respond to them since they usually pop up in threads where other people are asking about Scouting or something like that and the OP question is already answered but; I'm gonna respond directly to you now since I got the post alert for the thread.

You want to be back in the Art Portal? Awesome. Improve. That's all you gotta do; I promise when you do begin to improve, your Scouting eligibility will be reset. Until then though, you will remain in the De-Scouted state. The Art Portal should not be looked at as a gallery you inherently deserve to post in. It is a gallery that you are invited to submit to by showcasing solid and consistent artist skills. I was De-Scouted twice before I was at a skill level to be in for good, it's not a guarantee, it's not owed to you, it's something you need to attain, and something you need to work to keep.

Your last three submissions are not showcasing a quality that meets the threshold, nor are they conveying efforts toward improvement. Judging by your submissions in late 2023 vs the ones in 2022 and before: you were/are on a very solid track of development; and if you keep drawing and expanding your skillset I have no doubt you can be Scouted again sooner rather than later.

If you're demotivated by lack of attention/visibility: remember, I am an Art Moderator that is active in the Art Forum, there are other Art Moderators who are active in the forum. If you post improvement, WE WILL SEE IT. When we see improvement, we will restore your eligibility to be Scouted. You just need to post the improvement. ***This goes for any De-Scouted Artist reading this post*** (NOTE: This is not an invitation to bother me, or other Art Mods and ask if we can reset your Scout eligibility. If anybody does that - while I can't speak for anyone one else - I definitely will not)

Most importantly, while this is the off-topic thread; this is not the place to moan about your Scouting status. You can do that in the thread for the club you made to do that.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 06:58:01

It's so damn easy to fall into the trap of mindless grinding thinking you're practicing smart, it's not even funny.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 08:21:54

Hey yo, is there any fairly new and/or unknown art site that can be used without needing a app?

Like just about everything I've been on has either: shut down/empty, the admins are constantly on a powertrip or the site had a way you had to post and therefore severely limits how many you can do.

In case the last one sounded suspicious; I'm still trying to upload this like 2 huge comics I did several years ago. And for many reasons I'm trying to avoid comic sites........

Also sorry for going on topic (?) on a off topic post😐

I won't do it again

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 12:15:09

Here’s a curious question:

As a digital artist, what is your preferred dimensions to start a piece? It doesn’t have to be the dimensions of the end product: just your comfort document size when beginning fresh.

Mine’s is between 1,000 to 1,600 pxls max: big enough to potentially make a splash page or a scene but not big to the point where the default brush sizes become too small and errors can easily be missed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 15:57:01

At 4/5/24 12:07 AM, Dolorious wrote:
At 4/5/24 12:02 AM, switzrr wrote:
Ah I see. The og Berserk or the CGI 2016 Berserk?

OG. I had read the manga atlmost 7 years ago but hadn't seen the show until this February

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 15:57:41

At 4/5/24 12:15 PM, OviManic wrote: Here’s a curious question:

As a digital artist, what is your preferred dimensions to start a piece? It doesn’t have to be the dimensions of the end product: just your comfort document size when beginning fresh.

Mine’s is between 1,000 to 1,600 pxls max: big enough to potentially make a splash page or a scene but not big to the point where the default brush sizes become too small and errors can easily be missed.

I usually do 2048x2048 or 2048x1536 depending on what I want the aspect ratio to be

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 18:53:11

At 4/5/24 06:53 AM, SourCherryJack wrote:
At 4/5/24 02:19 AM, Czyszy wrote: I got shadowbanned.
I'm gonna get this out of the way at the top:
You did not get shadowbanned. There are no Shadowbans on Newgrounds, there are full bans from aspects of the site. If you were banned from posting art you would not be able to upload Art PERIOD.
You are De-Scouted; you can still post art to your userpage, and it will still show up in the undiscovered artists section. You can become eligible to be Scouted into the Art Portal again by improving your skills as an artist.

I see you pop up with these types of comments every few weeks or so, and never really respond to them since they usually pop up in threads where other people are asking about Scouting or something like that and the OP question is already answered but; I'm gonna respond directly to you now since I got the post alert for the thread.

You want to be back in the Art Portal? Awesome. Improve. That's all you gotta do; I promise when you do begin to improve, your Scouting eligibility will be reset. Until then though, you will remain in the De-Scouted state. The Art Portal should not be looked at as a gallery you inherently deserve to post in. It is a gallery that you are invited to submit to by showcasing solid and consistent artist skills. I was De-Scouted twice before I was at a skill level to be in for good, it's not a guarantee, it's not owed to you, it's something you need to attain, and something you need to work to keep.
Your last three submissions are not showcasing a quality that meets the threshold, nor are they conveying efforts toward improvement. Judging by your submissions in late 2023 vs the ones in 2022 and before: you were/are on a very solid track of development; and if you keep drawing and expanding your skillset I have no doubt you can be Scouted again sooner rather than later.
If you're demotivated by lack of attention/visibility: remember, I am an Art Moderator that is active in the Art Forum, there are other Art Moderators who are active in the forum. If you post improvement, WE WILL SEE IT. When we see improvement, we will restore your eligibility to be Scouted. You just need to post the improvement. ***This goes for any De-Scouted Artist reading this post*** (NOTE: This is not an invitation to bother me, or other Art Mods and ask if we can reset your Scout eligibility. If anybody does that - while I can't speak for anyone one else - I definitely will not)

Most importantly, while this is the off-topic thread; this is not the place to moan about your Scouting status. You can do that in the thread for the club you made to do that.

It's a pity cause there were a lot of great artists that I scouted and by de-scouting me you also descouted those artists.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 19:00:45

At 4/5/24 06:53 PM, Czyszy wrote: It's a pity cause there were a lot of great artists that I scouted and by de-scouting me you also descouted those artists.

1. I didn't De-Scout you.
  2. The scouting tree prune hasn't been a thing for a while; the Artists that you scouted --with the exception of a handful who were de-scouted for also not meeting the quality threshold -- are all still Scouted.
  3. Any further grievances I invite you to message me.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 19:01:59

The scouting tree prune hasn't been a thing for a while; the Artists that you scouted --with the exception of a handful who were de-scouted for also not meeting the quality threshold -- are all still Scouted.

Thank god. Good to know.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 19:20:58

At 4/5/24 08:21 AM, CrosEl wrote: Hey yo, is there any fairly new and/or unknown art site that can be used without needing a app?

I don't think what you're looking for really exists anymore unfortunately. You can try smaller subreddits, when I used reddit the smaller art communities were generally fairly nice, a bit disconnected and slow though. You can try to find Art Discords by searching on twitter and reddit, Art streamers might have decent discord communities.

I haven't used it at all, but tumblr was getting some steam going a little while ago, maybe that could work for you.

I just realized something.

Does Newgrounds have a feature where you can upload an art piece at a specific date and time without time traveling?

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 22:53:19

At 4/5/24 09:16 PM, Dolorious wrote: I just realized something.
Does Newgrounds have a feature where you can upload an art piece at a specific date and time without time traveling?

When you're uploading the piece, on the submission form the option to publish on a different date will pop up at the bottom.

iu_1185399_2960153.png

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-05 22:57:56

At 4/5/24 10:53 PM, SourCherryJack wrote:
At 4/5/24 09:16 PM, Dolorious wrote: I just realized something.
When you're uploading the piece, on the submission form the option to publish on a different date will pop up at the bottom.

Ah I see thanks

I must be blind to not have noticed it before.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-06 21:46:06

yeah... Czyszy with the skills you have right now, you could probably be scouted if you applied yourself all the time. The issue is that you're not treating your gallery like a portfolio and more like a sketchbook, which would fly basically anywhere else but not here, thats more or less what the personal forum threads are for. Stuff you submit to the portal should be the best of what you are able to present.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 4/6/24 09:46 PM, Template88 wrote: yeah... Czyszy with the skills you have right now, you could probably be scouted if you applied yourself all the time. The issue is that you're not treating your gallery like a portfolio and more like a sketchbook, which would fly basically anywhere else but not here, thats more or less what the personal forum threads are for. Stuff you submit to the portal should be the best of what you are able to present.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that giving out my best 100% effort, hard work and time into my works only to be slightly more visible (scouted) on an already super underground niche website (Newgrounds) is far from worth it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's be honest here. Newgrounds is a tiny tiny community. Unless you're a YT celebrity or something and use Newgrounds as an auxiliary space to put out your work, it's a shitty deal. Your page being scouted isn't more of a privilege than winning in a game of Mario Kart over at a friend's house or something.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-07 02:28:20

At 4/7/24 01:40 AM, Czyszy wrote:
At 4/6/24 09:46 PM, Template88 wrote: yeah... Czyszy with the skills you have right now, you could probably be scouted if you applied yourself all the time. The issue is that you're not treating your gallery like a portfolio and more like a sketchbook, which would fly basically anywhere else but not here, thats more or less what the personal forum threads are for. Stuff you submit to the portal should be the best of what you are able to present.
I thought about it and came to the conclusion that giving out my best 100% effort, hard work and time into my works only to be slightly more visible (scouted) on an already super underground niche website (Newgrounds) is far from worth it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's be honest here. Newgrounds is a tiny tiny community. Unless you're a YT celebrity or something and use Newgrounds as an auxiliary space to put out your work, it's a shitty deal. Your page being scouted isn't more of a privilege than winning in a game of Mario Kart over at a friend's house or something.

To apply yourself to the point of getting scouted here should be a goal for an artist because it signifies a certain degree of personal growth and improvement beyond the scope of the site.

Your motivation to get scouted shouldn't be "I need to get scouted so I can begin exploiting the site as quickly as possible!!!!"...and your motivation to not get scouted shouldn't be "its not even worth the effort bro" especially when you've clearly cared about getting scouted and unscouted in the past, which is why I even tried to encourage you.

Anyways its really not that hard to get scouted (you're acting like you need to bust your ass and sacrifice so much to do it) and its probably important to not underestimate the size of the community, the forum userbase might be small but animators and artists are still able to get tens of thousands of followers on this site.

In reality you just have to increase the presentation factor on your art a bit and not post sketches to the portal and youll be fine but its up to you....I guess I don't actually care what you do either way.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-07 02:43:15

"To apply yourself to the point of getting scouted here should be a goal for an artist because it signifies a certain degree of personal growth and improvement beyond the scope of the site."

It might seem so. But the whole "quality threshold" sadly boils down to whether the moderation thinks your art is high or low quality. The moderators are not some kind of top-of-the-line prestigeous judge panel that is renowned across the globe, but rather nonames on an underground website. They can either decide you suck and "descout you" or decide you don't suck and do the opposite. But in the end, that decision is not crucial to how an artist's artistic success or quality should be defined. Come to think of it, it's all a matter of opinion.

The fact the NG moderation team has very little weight on their deicisions due to how little worldwide famous and universally approved that team is, makes their choice to limit or not to limit the artist's visibility on a niche platform a trivial thing.

"Your motivation to get scouted shouldn't be "I need to get scouted so I can begin exploiting the site as quickly as possible!!!!"...and your motivation to not get scouted shouldn't be "its not even worth the effort bro" especially when you've clearly cared about getting scouted and unscouted in the past, which is why I even tried to encourage you."

I had unrealistic expectations and biased perception of the Newgrounds art portal in the past. Not anymore. Someone whose opinion does not change after new information is presented is called a fanatic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-07 03:15:38

@Template88 you’ve tried your best, but let’s get this lounge thread back on track.

BBS Signature