00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tsuki124 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat

4,349 Views | 180 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-03-30 14:06:19

A big fat YES to a topic like this! Not gonna lie, I'll probably just pop by now and then to talk about music I'm currently into.

With that in mind, if you enjoy electronic or dance music, I warmly recommend the debut solo album of Belgian producer Bolis Pupul, Letter to Yu, which came out earlier this month. The Yu in the title refers to his mother, Hong Kong born Yu Wei Wun, who died in a car accident in 2008. The album engages with the idea that, now that his mother is gone, he has to build his own relationship with the culture she hailed from. There's some ridiculously danceable beats throughout the album, but also a few genuinely moving moments hiding between the more upbeat songs. One of my personal highlights is "Ma Tau Wai Road", featuring his sister Salah.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-03-30 19:45:44

So I recently discovered Veil of Maya's all things set aside album, I started though ID and The common man's collapse (which I always thought was their debut)

The production quality is certainly much more humble, especially compared to the band's most recent material (on paper, I would consider it unhelpful considering the band's technical ability and godlike guitar riffing, but as far as I listened, it works nicely)

I wonder what some of their old school songs would sound like if they remastered them, currently The Black Funeral March is my favorite track, I'll listen to more of this album, it's been a while since I heard full albums.

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-03-30 19:50:12

At 3/30/24 02:06 PM, vlsrb wrote: A big fat YES to a topic like this! Not gonna lie, I'll probably just pop by now and then to talk about music I'm currently into.

With that in mind, if you enjoy electronic or dance music, I warmly recommend the debut solo album of Belgian producer Bolis Pupul, Letter to Yu, which came out earlier this month. The Yu in the title refers to his mother, Hong Kong born Yu Wei Wun, who died in a car accident in 2008. The album engages with the idea that, now that his mother is gone, he has to build his own relationship with the culture she hailed from. There's some ridiculously danceable beats throughout the album, but also a few genuinely moving moments hiding between the more upbeat songs. One of my personal highlights is "Ma Tau Wai Road", featuring his sister Salah.

From a metalhead's perspective, I agree with the groovy and upbeat feeling of Ma Tau Wai Road, to me it reminds me of preparing for a major conference in a sunny tuesday as a young adult; the vocal ability also complements the whole atmospehere of the song nicely, considering that for multiple EDM or trance artist, including vocals in their songs becomes a little tricky and are usually less common, or very brief if they are even included in the first place.

I might listen to more of this artist whenever I'm feeling the need for a guilty pleasure in my swarm of loud guitars.

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

you dudes an dudettes ever listened to Strange Days(?)

that's all i'm asking, just wanna know :-)

(cover looks good. i'll link the album too)

iu_1182302_9497712.webp

https://youtu.be/HjemLCQc1vg?si=8kSVYVoepuNWhRWK

richard milhous nixon looks as if he were a funked lyndon b johnson but not

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-03-31 16:46:58

it's from the album, so why not :-D

richard milhous nixon looks as if he were a funked lyndon b johnson but not

*cracks knuckles* Time to ramble about my favourite band of all time’s newest album 😎

Caravan Palace recently released a new album (Gangbusters Melody Club), and it is sooooo god damn GOOD!!

Every song on there is an absolute banger, especially Villa Rose (which is an extension of a smaller song that was in a one-hour Caravan Palace mix) it sounds so ethereal and uplifting, but also mysterious and a bit melancholic. Those words work as descriptions for a lot of Caravan Palace’s songs, actually. They have such a unique style of music.

I highly recommend listening to the album (and just Caravan Palace as a whole) if you’re into Electro-swing and/or any Electronic genre.

iu_1182805_17703774.png

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-03-31 22:10:12

Time for my first petty complaint!

I'm a little grumpy about oversimplified advice in a way that I can't do much about. Not just here, but on Discord and elsewhere, it seems like there's always some people that draw up their own guides that miss half the necessary information entirely and mislead or fall short on explaining the rest. Does more harm than good.

Why do people give advice that's so dumbed down that it's not even true anymore? Do they think they're actually helping? Or is it all just about pretending to be an expert? I don't like this.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-03-31 23:01:52

At 3/31/24 10:10 PM, Skoops wrote: Time for my first petty complaint!

I'm a little grumpy about oversimplified advice in a way that I can't do much about. Not just here, but on Discord and elsewhere, it seems like there's always some people that draw up their own guides that miss half the necessary information entirely and mislead or fall short on explaining the rest. Does more harm than good.

Why do people give advice that's so dumbed down that it's not even true anymore? Do they think they're actually helping? Or is it all just about pretending to be an expert? I don't like this.

Good advise requires more than one brain cell. Most people don't have more than one brain cell. In fact, they all share a single brain cell for the most part.

At 3/31/24 11:01 PM, Dolorious wrote:

Good advise requires more than one brain cell. Most people don't have more than one brain cell. In fact, they all share a single brain cell for the most part.

I know they say "do not attribute to malice what could just as easily be explained by stupidity," but whatever impulse makes people pretend they're experts and give advice on things they don't understand feels like it's gotta be a mixture of both.

At 3/31/24 11:47 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/24 11:01 PM, Dolorious wrote:

I know they say "do not attribute to malice what could just as easily be explained by stupidity," but whatever impulse makes people pretend they're experts and give advice on things they don't understand feels like it's gotta be a mixture of both.

The same impulse that make up most of the population on the /IC/ board. It's very possible to be stupid and malicious.

iu_1182971_9507916.webp

At 3/31/24 11:47 PM, Skoops wrote: I know they say "do not attribute to malice what could just as easily be explained by stupidity," but whatever impulse makes people pretend they're experts and give advice on things they don't understand feels like it's gotta be a mixture of both.

I don’t agree with the negative take from the other user, as I see pretty limited advice elsewhere but don’t attribute it to maliciousness.

I would suggest:

-People want to feel positive by helping.

-The advice is likely offering it in a safe environment where they’re unlikely to be challenged.

-It’s regurgitated advice; sometimes people trot out tried-and-tested advice because somebody else said it in a similar topic, however they either don’t fully understand it or the advice is not tailored for a new scenario/situation.

-Some people aren’t wonderful writers, and some stuff gets lost in communication when it gets written down. It’s sometimes easier to talk it out because it’s quicker and you have a more immediate feedback loop with the recipients, rather than chewing over what ought to be written down.

BBS Signature

At 4/1/24 01:58 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 3/31/24 11:47 PM, Skoops wrote: I know they say "do not attribute to malice what could just as easily be explained by stupidity," but whatever impulse makes people pretend they're experts and give advice on things they don't understand feels like it's gotta be a mixture of both.
I don’t agree with the negative take from the other user, as I see pretty limited advice elsewhere but don’t attribute it to maliciousness.

I would suggest:

The other issue is people who don’t post. I think people have a tendency to bystand, rather than challenge/expand upon something as a result of excessive effort, agreeing with something in principal, unwillingness for confrontation or low confidence/assertiveness.

While I think some people spill their brains more than they ought, I think there are others who should be more willing to share their views, constructively challenge lacking advice, or call out something that is destructive and not helpful.

BBS Signature

My issue with offering in depth advice is that there are so many filters in the way that are out of my control as to how the person is going to interpret said advice that its literally better for both of us if I just point the general direction out instead of step by step breaking down what they need to do.

A lot of art advice offered in this forum is so nebulous anyways, its constantly people asking functionally, "how do i get good, what style do i draw in, why dont people like my art, how do i get more attention"

No ones really asking a specific question. Theyre questions that could be answered easily in a faq or with google, or just thinking about what they're asking critically. Ask a general question and you're going to get a variety of answers and people who have nothing to really add are more likely going to chime in.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 04:06:06

At 4/1/24 01:58 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

I would suggest:

-People want to feel positive by helping.
-The advice is likely offering it in a safe environment where they’re unlikely to be challenged.
-It’s regurgitated advice; sometimes people trot out tried-and-tested advice because somebody else said it in a similar topic, however they either don’t fully understand it or the advice is not tailored for a new scenario/situation.
-Some people aren’t wonderful writers, and some stuff gets lost in communication when it gets written down. It’s sometimes easier to talk it out because it’s quicker and you have a more immediate feedback loop with the recipients, rather than chewing over what ought to be written down.

I agree there are cases where people in good faith play telephone with half-remembered advice from dubious sources and they just don't understand that it's doing more harm than good. I don't usually see advice that fails just because the writing quality is poor, though, unless it's something where it's flat out absent. For example, posting a mediocre drawing of a hand when someone asks how to draw hands, with no further explanation. Why do that? There's a lack of self awareness there that just kind of baffles me.

The thing I'm talking more about are people that seem to know they're talking out of their ass, but can't help chiming in on everything anyway because feeling like an authority is more important to them than being right or helpful. It's easy enough to remind people to weigh any advice they receive against the advice giver's quality of work, but they pop up in a lot of places and it's hard to do damage control consistently or gracefully.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 07:31:11

Is there a way to mute/hide individual threads on Newgrounds?

At 4/1/24 07:31 AM, ZekeWatson wrote: Is there a way to mute/hide individual threads on Newgrounds?

If it's a thread you've created and you no longer want notifications, you can select the little gear in the notification popup window and select ignore notifications to it and all reactions.

iu_1183437_2960153.png

iu_1183438_2960153.png

You can follow threads and get notifications on new posts by clicking the little heart at the top right. If you're getting notifications on a thread and you don't want to be, check if you followed it by accident.

iu_1183439_2960153.png

But as far as making so you do not see them at all on the forum? To my knowledge: no, just don't click on them.

Also just for future reference the Where Is/How To/ Help Forum would be a more suitable place for site questions such as this.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 20:09:49

You guys ever fallen victim to this nonsense?

iu_1183481_8152063.png

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 20:25:53

At 4/1/24 03:29 AM, Template88 wrote: A lot of art advice offered in this forum is so nebulous anyways, its constantly people asking functionally, "how do i get good, what style do i draw in, why dont people like my art, how do i get more attention"

There are some straightforward questions on the forums, too, but they get treated like they're vague and nebulous because that's the kind of grasp answerers have on the subject matter. There are objective answers to basically anything fundamentals-related, so my gripes are mostly about people giving matter-of-fact answers that are just objectively wrong because of what they leave out or how they present it.

For the vague questions, I don't think you need to give an in-depth answer to something like that. I just wish they came from someone that knew what they're talking about.

Either way, I've exhausted this complaint and will talk about other things now.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 20:32:47

At 4/1/24 08:09 PM, OviManic wrote: You guys ever fallen victim to this nonsense?

Can't fall victim if you just eat the box instead of the beans.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 21:36:53

At 4/1/24 08:09 PM, OviManic wrote: You guys ever fallen victim to this nonsense?

Just a PSA, if anyone dares to boozle my beans, we're gonna have problems.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 23:17:32

At 4/1/24 09:36 PM, Skoops wrote:
Just a PSA, if anyone dares to boozle my beans, we're gonna have problems.

Ex-CUSE me!?

iu_1183562_8152063.jpg

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-01 23:26:38

Eyy its like a little general

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 03:27:04

You know who else makes art forums lounges? MY MOM!!!!

The goofy ahh penguin, creator of Deep Sea Prisoner! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 04:09:24

Omg yeah! When I was younger. Some kid brought these and the very first bean I ate was spoiled milk. And I immediately didn’t want to play anymore lmao

Wowie, this is fun!

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 04:29:01

At 4/2/24 03:27 AM, Chuw-Croissantier wrote: You know who else makes art forums lounges? MY MOM!!!!

GET OUT.

iu_1183649_19707254.gif

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 04:41:18

At 4/1/24 06:24 PM, SourCherryJack wrote:
At 4/1/24 07:31 AM, ZekeWatson wrote: Is there a way to mute/hide individual threads on Newgrounds?
If it's a thread you've created and you no longer want notifications, you can select the little gear in the notification popup window and select ignore notifications to it and all reactions.

You can follow threads and get notifications on new posts by clicking the little heart at the top right. If you're getting notifications on a thread and you don't want to be, check if you followed it by accident.

But as far as making so you do not see them at all on the forum? To my knowledge: no, just don't click on them.

Thanks.

Hiding threads you don't want to see might be a good feature for the site in the future. I always appreciate being able to do it.

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 09:10:28

At 3/31/24 06:44 PM, MondoBilby wrote: *cracks knuckles* Time to ramble about my favourite band of all time’s newest album 😎

Caravan Palace recently released a new album (Gangbusters Melody Club), and it is sooooo god damn GOOD!!
Every song on there is an absolute banger, especially Villa Rose (which is an extension of a smaller song that was in a one-hour Caravan Palace mix) it sounds so ethereal and uplifting, but also mysterious and a bit melancholic. Those words work as descriptions for a lot of Caravan Palace’s songs, actually. They have such a unique style of music.
I highly recommend listening to the album (and just Caravan Palace as a whole) if you’re into Electro-swing and/or any Electronic genre.

Caravan Palace is so good, Panic has to be one of the greatest dance albums of all time

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 09:21:39

At 4/2/24 09:10 AM, Zfert wrote:
At 3/31/24 06:44 PM, MondoBilby wrote: *cracks knuckles* Time to ramble about my favourite band of all time’s newest album 😎

Caravan Palace is so good, Panic has to be one of the greatest dance albums of all time

Panic is my favourite album of theirs!!

My favourite song from that one is Glory of Nelly, but they’re all sooo good!

Do you have a favourite?

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 09:43:38

At 4/2/24 09:21 AM, MondoBilby wrote:
At 4/2/24 09:10 AM, Zfert wrote:

Panic is my favourite album of theirs!!
My favourite song from that one is Glory of Nelly, but they’re all sooo good!
Do you have a favourite?

Glory of Nelly is so good, that's a great favorite

If I tried to pick my favorites I'd list half the album lol, so ill just say Pirates and Dramophone

Response to The Art Forum Lounge - Off Topic Chat 2024-04-02 14:07:31

At 4/2/24 04:29 AM, SpikeyBlum wrote:
At 4/2/24 03:27 AM, Chuw-Croissantier wrote: You know who else makes art forums lounges? MY MOM!!!!
GET OUT.

iu_1183853_8400058.png

The goofy ahh penguin, creator of Deep Sea Prisoner! ;D

BBS Signature