00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GingaSnappd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates!

7,598 Views | 38 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds Player news: As part of the installation process, NG Player will now update your Flash\mms.cfg config file in Windows to allow Flash to run. I did a clean install on my computer and everything worked without a hitch; I hope the same goes for you!

Newgrounds runs Flash in-browser via Ruffle whenever possible and utilizes Newgrounds Player for anything not yet supported by Ruffle. You can manage these settings under the Flash Options on your Account Options page, if you want to bypass Ruffle or use traditional Flash embeds with a browser that supports them.

We’ve also updated the Download Options on your account options page to include your PM inbox and sentbox, in addition to things like uploaded content. 

We fixed a bug where the sentbox limit wasn’t being applied and you may now have to clear out space before you can send new PMs. We’ve doubled PM storage for anyone who has ever been a Supporter, even if you aren’t one currently. Thank you for the support!

While we’re talking about account options, visit your content settings page to specify defaults for individual movie, game, art and audio hubs, such as Featured, Latest, Popular or Previously Browsed. This page also lets you manage things like blocked users and blocked tags, which should now work in all hubs and all search results.

Oh and if you were ever on a page for a long time and then scrolled down and got repeat entries, that should be fixed.

Valentine’s Day Recap

Winners of the Concept of Love Art Contest have been announced by @Xinxinix, with a great write-up!

Valentine’s Day also had a surprising number of fun animated entries this year! Some highlights:

Winners are TBA for the V-Day Writing Contest and Sexiest Outfit Contest.

Community News

If you missed it, Pixel Day Winners were announced Saturday and the Best of January was announced previously.

Next year Pixel Day will have a contest-specific tag and the contest will only be for entries made specifically for Pixel Day.

Ten days remain to enter our Flash Forward Jam! We’re making new Flash games to run in-browser via Ruffle.

A new animation jam may be launching tomorrow, with some big prizes.

Hope everyone in Texas is managing to stay warm. I’m hopeful for a future where we have a modern power grid that benefits everyone in situations like these. This song came on as I was typing this and I thought, “This is a good song to imagine a better future to.”

I recommend reading The New Climate War for an optimistic take on where we are right now.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 17:33:30

Somehow managed to miss watching every Valentine's Day animation here. Laziness I suppose.

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 17:54:33

we finally got power back after 5 days down here in austin, tx. still no water but i'm glad i can come back online to communicate with everybody and have some cool stuff waiting for me.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 17:56:06

New content settings are pretty cool. Also happy Ruffle and the NG Player are keeping Flash alive. Thanks for the update Tom. Hope everyone in Texas stays safe and warm this week.

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 19:01:47

The player is functioning perfectly fine on my computer aswell

Thanks for all the effort you've put not only on the player but in this whole community through all those years, bless you Tom.

If it's your passion, don't let the mediocrity of the world taint it.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 19:28:34

I bought the climate change book :-)

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 19:53:42

Woo new animation jam! Texas is reaaaal sucky right now but as long as I have power I will try to participate.

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 22:57:19

Well that's great that I am able to play some flash games again on NG (out of the web browser). However not all the games work, it would be appreciated if there was a reset button to load the files again, so maybe that might be possible for some files from NG? Maybe a possibility?

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-18 23:03:54

Unfortunately, Microsoft deployed update that kills adobe flash player and can't be uninstalled. :(

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 00:22:27

Ten days remain to enter our Flash Forward Jam! We’re making new Flash games to run in-browser via Ruffle.

I just noticed I didn't see any movies listed in the Flash Forward Jam collection. Anything about that?

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 00:28:48

This may be related - every .swf I try to open with NG player leads to the same results - a white screen, with Adobe Flash Player's "f" symbol and an "i" button for information (that leads to nothing when clicked). Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 00:41:39

Yo, Thanks Tom. The whole thing down here has been frustrating, and I hope the people who manage our powergrid don't get off the hook for this blunder.

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 00:49:01

Did we always have the featured content banner in the footer? This is the first time I've noticed it.

Cool updates all round, I like the aggregation of content settings.

Also cool you added the storage retrospectively for prior supporters.

I think i remember this being asked before but I can't remember for sure, are you guys bringing back the support tracking meter?

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 09:36:52

At 2/19/21 12:49 AM, Tacopug wrote: Did we always have the featured content banner in the footer? This is the first time I've noticed it.

Featured content in the footer has been there since 2012 I think!

I think i remember this being asked before but I can't remember for sure, are you guys bringing back the support tracking meter?

No plans to bring it back at the moment. It rises slowly, often playing tug-o-war between new Supporters and expiring Supporters daily and I hear from too many people who are concerned and demotivated by it. On the flip side, if it ever gets huge and successful, it might encourage more copyright trolls to try shaking us down for money... So it's sort of a lose-lose situation. We're at an all-time high of 4,241 active supporters at the moment, though! Still need to figure out how to get to 10k and beyond.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 09:37:31

At 2/19/21 12:28 AM, Wercurito wrote: This may be related - every .swf I try to open with NG player leads to the same results - a white screen, with Adobe Flash Player's "f" symbol and an "i" button for information (that leads to nothing when clicked). Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

Did you try re-installing NG Player with the latest version?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 09:47:28

At 2/19/21 12:22 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote:
I just noticed I didn't see any movies listed in the Flash Forward Jam collection. Anything about that?

Are you on mobile? There's an issue where where collections will only show mobile-friendly content on mobile and at the moment they aren't treating Flash files as mobile-friendly - they need to update to account for Flash that has Ruffle and Touchscreen Friendly both enabled.

We should also update those pages to include a link to enable non-mobile content, so mobile users can still view everything.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 10:19:21

@TomFulp that's some really great Flash-news (and other), thanks for that!

Also, remembering how much you detest February, how are you holding up this time around? <3

Wakka wakka

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 10:45:28

At 2/19/21 10:19 AM, Rucklo wrote: @TomFulp that's some really great Flash-news (and other), thanks for that!
Also, remembering how much you detest February, how are you holding up this time around? <3

I'm doing alright but it does always hit me. Been clearing out the first floor of the office to start officially renting the space to the neighbor next month, which is kinda emotional but I like the idea of the office carrying more of its own weight. Not to mention mice had gotten into some of the really old couches down there so it was nice to see them taken away, along with some other big junk that was down there... Like the red Booty Juice keg fridge. We brought the cool couches up stairs to make a little sitting area. I should have taken pictures along the way. :P

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 11:04:14

not a fan of climate related stuff or this planet necessarily, but every other related update i didnt mind.

first post pls.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 11:29:56

At 2/19/21 11:04 AM, Luis wrote: not a fan of climate related stuff or this planet necessarily, but every other related update i didnt mind.

first post pls.

did you steel my mojo?

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 14:18:12

Nice, things are going the right way. Would be also nice to be able to chose which projects to download from the account options. Also, I hope there will be some fix for accidentally voting on a submission while scrolling. Keep up the good work!

Peace

--Sky

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-19 19:57:43

At 2/19/21 09:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/19/21 12:49 AM, Tacopug wrote: Did we always have the featured content banner in the footer? This is the first time I've noticed it.
Featured content in the footer has been there since 2012 I think!

No plans to bring it back at the moment. It rises slowly, often playing tug-o-war between new Supporters and expiring Supporters daily and I hear from too many people who are concerned and demotivated by it. On the flip side, if it ever gets huge and successful, it might encourage more copyright trolls to try shaking us down for money... So it's sort of a lose-lose situation. We're at an all-time high of 4,241 active supporters at the moment, though! Still need to figure out how to get to 10k and beyond.

That explanation makes a lot of sense, cheers :)

Nice to know we're at an ath though!

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-20 19:21:13

well it seems adobe just countered it by removing flash and not allowing it to be installed/uninstalled, is there a fix or we must wait for an update to the player?

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-21 08:33:15

At 2/18/21 05:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: We fixed a bug where the sentbox limit wasn’t being applied and you may now have to clear out space before you can send new PMs. We’ve doubled PM storage for anyone who has ever been a Supporter, even if you aren’t one currently. Thank you for the support!

Dammit, that "bug" was the perfect way for us to archive messages, bypassing the anorexic inbox limit >:( For supporters, PM inbox storage doubled, but the sentbox storage stayed the same (still reads as 2MB). Seems like us Oldgrounders can never catch a break. A lot of active users hit the limit long ago, but the (slightly) more recent ratio of sent/composed limit, helped reduce message/post length... idk

I'm doing alright but it does always hit me. Been clearing out the first floor of the office to start officially renting the space to the neighbor next month, which is kinda emotional but I like the idea of the office carrying more of its own weight. Not to mention mice had gotten into some of the really old couches down there so it was nice to see them taken away, along with some other big junk that was down there... Like the red Booty Juice keg fridge. We brought the cool couches up stairs to make a little sitting area. I should have taken pictures along the way. :P

Glad they decided to spread out a bit, I'm sure their employees will appreciate the extra room... maybe time for another office cat?

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-21 10:39:48

At 2/18/21 05:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’ve also updated the Download Options on your account options page to include your PM inbox and sentbox, in addition to things like uploaded content. 

This is a great addition, thank you! One step closer to Google, er, Newgrounds Takeout. :)

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-21 11:40:59

Newgrounds player working is great news!

Will we be able to play swf files from the dumping grounds as well in the future?

Will you allow other flash game portals to use the newgrounds player?

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-22 00:43:03

At 2/18/21 05:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’ve also updated the Download Options on your account options page to include your PM inbox and sentbox, in addition to things like uploaded content. 

Hello, I've made an alternative to NG Flash Player for the members who still that have issues with it. I've also made a build for MacOS. It's an standalone Flash exe and has no issues with mms.cfg, it just needs the submission id.

https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1145224

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-22 04:32:00

Valentine's Day , which is not a real holiday, had some nice submissions.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-22 19:16:40

At 2/19/21 10:45 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/19/21 10:19 AM, Rucklo wrote: @TomFulp that's some really great Flash-news (and other), thanks for that!

Ah so that finally happened, well, about time perhaps - it's good to make use of space, esepecially if it generates money :D

Also, lol, mice in the couches? That sounds like it could be a game... also, some day, bring us some pics of how the office looks now, will ya please? :D

Wakka wakka

Response to NG Player, V-Day Recap and Other Updates! 2021-02-23 15:05:10

There’s a problem. Windows released an update that completely removes and blocks flash. The update says that it “CANNOT BE UNINSTALLED” from my device and will not allow me to go back to the browser version that doesn’t have it. My process of bypassing the system has been blocked.

The Admiral

BBS Signature