00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters.

93,347 Views | 1,524 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-29 07:36:50

At 10/29/20 07:24 AM, Peaceblossom wrote:

In the restaurants I worked in, we used even bigger salt crystals. Maldon sea salt:

I've seen it in the grocery aisle, but haven't tried it yet. How's the flavor compared to regular sea salt?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-29 08:40:28

At 10/29/20 07:41 AM, Peaceblossom wrote:

It's actually not as intense, the crystal structure is very tight, so it doesn't dissolve on your tongue immediately, but it's very heavy so if you do suck on it, it will become overpowering. I suppose it has its own flavor characteristics as well, but I'm not exactly a connoisseur of fine salts. It's just something I've worked with a lot. It was more on-trend than Fleur de sel for a long time.

Mind-blowing how three of the same product from the same place can be so drastically different. I bet if you made a Maldon style sea salt or Fleur de sel in the arctic, it would be completely different too. If you watch that show I linked too, it shows a Japanese seaweed salt that looks delicious and would love to get my hands on some day.

BBS Signature

At 10/29/20 07:24 AM, Peaceblossom wrote: Thanks, I thought I took a bad pic but the burritos were really good regardless.

The reflection does come off a bit hazy on the netted microwave window (if that is a microwave, can't say for certain, was about to comment a bit on the blasphemy of cooking with such devices if so :P) but other than that...

Fleur de sel is big chunky finishing salt. Basically the salt is large and looks like flowers, or florets. It's a very common salt to finish proteins.

In the restaurants I worked in, we used even bigger salt crystals. Maldon sea salt:

Was discussing fleur de sel at the dinner table after the above actually, got schooled by more french-speaking folks. :) Fleur seemed to so obviously translate to flour, but yeah, flower of salt... such a poetic name.

I've never tried that but I have used Maldon. Seems a bit more common over here. Celtic sea salt is currently my favorite salt though, doesn't taste just salt, really has a different kind of richness to it, but I wonder how it compares to this...

Seems reasonable that the finer the salt the more taste, long as it's not just ground and processed from larger chunks.

At 10/29/20 07:32 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: In-depth glimpse into the practices involved in the harvesting of said salt

Awesome. :)

I learned about it after watching the docuseries Salt Fat Acid Heat this year. It's one of the top 5 food shows I've watched.

Adding that to my watchlist now...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-10-29 20:03:57

At 10/29/20 03:28 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/29/20 07:24 AM, Peaceblossom wrote: Fleur de sel is big chunky finishing salt. Basically the salt is large and looks like flowers, or florets. It's a very common salt to finish proteins.

Was discussing fleur de sel at the dinner table after the above actually, got schooled by more french-speaking folks. :) Fleur seemed to so obviously translate to flour, but yeah, flower of salt... such a poetic name.

It even has to be harvested by the "more delicate sex". XD

I've never tried that but I have used Maldon. Seems a bit more common over here. Celtic sea salt is currently my favorite salt though, doesn't taste just salt, really has a different kind of richness to it, but I wonder how it compares to this...

Goddammit! Now I'm going to spend the next year searching and tasting different salts, probably have a vein in my forehead blow up and make a mess everywhere from the increase in blood pressure.

Also

Seems reasonable that the finer the salt the more taste, long as it's not just ground and processed from larger chunks.

Learned that from the show too, takes longer to dissolve on your tongue.

BBS Signature

At 10/29/20 08:03 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: It even has to be harvested by the "more delicate sex". XD

This just gets better and better! :D I need to get mah hands on some of this salty sweetness...

Goddammit! Now I'm going to spend the next year searching and tasting different salts, probably have a vein in my forehead blow up and make a mess everywhere from the increase in blood pressure.

Haha, the better ones (Celtic at least, haven't read up on others much) have so many other minerals baked in they don't really have that bad an impact on blood pressure. ;) Bit of a myth with that, it's the processed kind that's basically all sodium chloride. If you get the good stuff then the different minerals assist each other. Way healthier to consume. Of course though you can overconsume anything but feels like it usually tastes too salty if it is too salty then.

So much of the cheap stuff in processed foods that you don't even really notice.

Also

Hey 'flower of the ocean'! :D So I've been eating this all along huh... that is indeed the brand I buy. Fleur de sel from Portugal though! I thought this was the UK, wonder if they've switched locations since last I looked 'em up...

Btw should maybe clarify: I really don't use as expensive shizzle as this all the time, but for special occasions, it's a treat...

Learned that from the show too, takes longer to dissolve on your tongue.

Nice.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-10 08:05:45

Anyone gone on a culinary adventure in the kitchen in the last little while?

You guys cook with wine much?

Got my new table where I can seat 8 comfortably, so decided to have my folks and aunt and uncle over for some coq au vin, and served the same bottle of wine that I used to make the sauce.

Did steaks the same way as I make coq, and it turned out really really good, so I think I might try and make a beef or chicken stew with the same method.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-16 21:04:14

I made a nice cup of sandwich.

iu_195286_7199334.jpg

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-17 05:38:06

At 11/16/20 09:04 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: I made a nice cup of sandwich.

It does look pretty tasty actually, the floral pattern complements the sandwiched greens in an appealing way, and the slant conveys the softness of said bread, a suitable aperitif before you take a cup of whatever comes after...

At 11/10/20 08:05 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: You guys cook with wine much?

To answer this old question too: not as much as I'd like. Had a bottle of white in the fridge for a while earlier but didn't really make the most of it, mixed it with random dishes occasionally then decided to drink the rest of it before it turned to vinegar... finna try again though! Soon.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-19 09:02:03

iu_196617_725545.jpg

Had a very socially distanced Birthday party outside (not mine, just brought the food) a while back, maybe worth sharing a glimpse here.

Black bean and chocolate cake with @kiwi and it was bananas. Not bad.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-19 09:05:32

iu_196619_725545.jpg

Fresh-baked oat bread, diced oat pancake leftovers hard fried in butter/olive oil with some homemade (and picked) strawberry/cloudberry jam from last summer...

Common one-day-a-week lunch over here. Not usually with bread though.

Thursday's traditional pancake day btw.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-20 11:46:21

Tonight my spouse and I are putting on a cooking presentation via zoom. (And getting paid for it!)

We are making homemade gnocchi from scratch. Potatoes, bacon, and cheese. It's a great dish.

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-20 14:24:29

At 11/20/20 11:46 AM, Fro wrote: Tonight my spouse and I are putting on a cooking presentation via zoom. (And getting paid for it!)

We are making homemade gnocchi from scratch. Potatoes, bacon, and cheese. It's a great dish.

Will this by any chance be documented for the vast masses as well?

Sounds awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-20 15:05:52

At 11/20/20 02:24 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/20/20 11:46 AM, Fro wrote: Tonight my spouse and I are putting on a cooking presentation via zoom. (And getting paid for it!)

Will this by any chance be documented for the vast masses as well?

Sounds awesome.

We thought about recording it, but decided against the extra task. It's really just for the community in which we are working with. I won't be doing too much of the cooking anyway. She'll do the cooking, I'll do the task work of mashing and whatnot. I don't think it'll be very exciting, more of a community building event.

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-20 18:13:41

At 11/20/20 03:05 PM, Fro wrote: We thought about recording it, but decided against the extra task. It's really just for the community in which we are working with. I won't be doing too much of the cooking anyway. She'll do the cooking, I'll do the task work of mashing and whatnot. I don't think it'll be very exciting, more of a community building event.

Imagining you turning that mashing thing into a real workout session now. ;)

Sounds like fun stuff anyway! This the kind of shizzle everyone should be getting into these lockdown times.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-20 20:47:57

I've been really lazy with my meals lately, definitely not post worthy. Either beef or chicken thighs with carrots and rice or potatoes.

One thing I did do with the rice was add the uncooked rice to the carrot and shallot mixture I was sauteing and let it fry in some duck fat and butter for a while before adding chicken broth to cook it in, made it taste pretty good.

Got a chunk of tenderloin roast half thawed and salted in the fridge right meow. Gonna get a couple hot slices out of it and use the rest for sandwich meat. Made a sandwich for lunch a couple days ago with raisin bread, goat cheese, peach jam, mustard, and tenderloin cold cuts, and it turned out alright.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-21 02:25:50

At 11/19/20 09:02 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Had a very socially distanced Birthday party outside (not mine, just brought the food) a while back, maybe worth sharing a glimpse here.

Black bean and chocolate cake with @kiwi and it was bananas. Not bad.

Cake looking bellissimo

BBS Signature

At 11/20/20 07:04 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: I got a better garlic sausage this time. Is it okay to make this joke again?

Some people apparently didn't see it last time so good thing you did. XD

At 11/20/20 08:47 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Made a sandwich for lunch a couple days ago with raisin bread, goat cheese, peach jam, mustard, and tenderloin cold cuts, and it turned out alright.

You know, these things don't sound lazy at all!

BBS Signature

Deep fried a half kilo of cauliflower florets yesterday. Took quite some time (3 hours all told) but was worth it! A little salt, chili powder and some asafoetida powder, and it's *chef kiss* great!

Then again, it might just be because I love oil.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

At 11/22/20 02:12 PM, Gimmick wrote: Deep fried a half kilo of cauliflower florets yesterday. Took quite some time (3 hours all told) but was worth it! A little salt, chili powder and some asafoetida powder, and it's *chef kiss* great!

Hadn't heard of Asafetida before hmm... used instead of garlic here?

Sounds nice. Fried stuff definitely has a special kind of flavor!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-22 22:44:26

At 11/22/20 04:59 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/22/20 02:12 PM, Gimmick wrote: Deep fried a half kilo of cauliflower florets yesterday. Took quite some time (3 hours all told) but was worth it! A little salt, chili powder and some asafoetida powder, and it's *chef kiss* great!
Hadn't heard of Asafetida before hmm... used instead of garlic here?

I suppose so! I don't know how to accurately describe the flavour but it's definitely to give it that extra kick like garlic!

You can say that again!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-23 07:53:25

At 11/22/20 10:44 PM, Gimmick wrote: I suppose so! I don't know how to accurately describe the flavour but it's definitely to give it that extra kick like garlic!

Are there other advantages over using straight up garlic I wonder, does it maybe have some kind of MSG/umami-like flavor too? Otherwise seems like the 'real thing' might have some added health benefits there.

You can say that again!

Sounds nice. Fried stuff definitely has a special kind of flavor! :P

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-23 13:36:53

At 11/23/20 07:53 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 11/22/20 10:44 PM, Gimmick wrote: I suppose so! I don't know how to accurately describe the flavour but it's definitely to give it that extra kick like garlic!
Are there other advantages over using straight up garlic I wonder, does it maybe have some kind of MSG/umami-like flavor too? Otherwise seems like the 'real thing' might have some added health benefits there.

There's some purported health benefits to it, but even ignoring those, it does have a slight umami taste. I suppose it's something one would have to try out to describe - my taste buds aren't the best descriptors!

One other thing that comes to mind is that it's supposed to help relieve intestinal gas, whereas garlic is an alleged FODMAP which might cause bloat - if you want a flavour like garlic (and maybe a bit of ginger) but you can't eat garlic due to, say, being on a low FODMAP diet, you could try using asafoetida instead!

If anyone is interested in getting asafoetida, it'd be best to get compounded asafoetida as that comes in little shakers and lasts a really long time. I suppose you'd be able to find it in asian grocery stores, seeing as they're a staple in south asian cooking.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-23 15:51:06

At 11/23/20 01:36 PM, Gimmick wrote: There's some purported health benefits to it, but even ignoring those, it does have a slight umami taste. I suppose it's something one would have to try out to describe - my taste buds aren't the best descriptors!

Mmm I guess I'll have to test myself someday, I'd read so much good on garlic it seemed like this'd be a step in the opposite direction health-wise, but seems maybe it's even better...

One other thing that comes to mind is that it's supposed to help relieve intestinal gas, whereas garlic is an alleged FODMAP which might cause bloat - if you want a flavour like garlic (and maybe a bit of ginger) but you can't eat garlic due to, say, being on a low FODMAP diet, you could try using asafoetida instead!

Reading that when I Googled earlier my first impression was it must be such a shame to not be able to eat garlic, all the benefits you'd be missing out on. XD My bad!

If anyone is interested in getting asafoetida, it'd be best to get compounded asafoetida as that comes in little shakers and lasts a really long time. I suppose you'd be able to find it in asian grocery stores, seeing as they're a staple in south asian cooking.

I'm a keep an eye out now. Getting introduced to some intriguing new spices; potential health remedies here...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-24 23:07:16

After a lot of work and physical therapy today, I decided to make 3 Italian hot chicken-infused sausage links, sauteed onions with some additional salt and some mushrooms.

I make this quite a lot and I don't know why I felt like photographing this time, but whatever.

iu_199410_675845.jpg

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

At 11/24/20 11:07 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I make this quite a lot and I don't know why I felt like photographing this time, but whatever.

Cool to see what you eat GB! Feels like some greens might spice things up colorwise, but solid meal otherwise, no non-essentials. Seems simple and healthy.

A lot of brown and sausages hmm, some people might draw some parallels there...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-25 06:22:24

At 11/25/20 04:54 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Cool to see what you eat GB! Feels like some greens might spice things up colorwise, but solid meal otherwise, no non-essentials. Seems simple and healthy.

I sometimes add herbs or solid greens. I just didn't have any presently on me. I'll get some tonight provided that my schedule allows it.

A lot of brown and sausages hmm, some people might draw some parallels there...

I expect no less. Brown is my favorite color. Before you cook or bake tonight, ask yourself this very simple question (also UPS' slogan): what can brown do for you?

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

BBS Signature

At 11/25/20 06:22 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I sometimes add herbs or solid greens. I just didn't have any presently on me. I'll get some tonight provided that my schedule allows it.

Sounds good.

I expect no less. Brown is my favorite color. Before you cook or bake tonight, ask yourself this very simple question (also UPS' slogan): what can brown do for you?

The color of Earth and nature hmm! Though apparently UPS done changed that to the somewhat less personal We (heart) Logistics.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-25 08:17:08

At 11/25/20 07:04 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: The color of Earth and nature hmm! Though apparently UPS done changed that to the somewhat less personal We (heart) Logistics.

Oh yeah, I have seen them use that a lot over the past decade, but prefer the older phrase. Brown also represents the color of the jacket I'm wearing now plus my laptop bag (which has far more than a laptop) and custom wallet with me and my girlfriend.

My apartment building and general area has had a lot of package theft recently. I don't blame most of the guys at Amazon Prime (who have to photograph the package before drop-off) or UPS. For sure, it's people in/around my building. Shitting in a box and having that box entice potential thieves as a trap and deterrent has been discussed as an idea by some attractive women who I'd find difficult to shit on me otherwise. I hope they are serious about doing that soon. I really want their shit badly.

I always hope that what I make translates into nice smooth logs and this is no different even though the red meat consumption might make that a little harder.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-11-25 18:08:44

At 11/25/20 08:17 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote: My apartment building and general area has had a lot of package theft recently. I don't blame most of the guys at Amazon Prime (who have to photograph the package before drop-off) or UPS. For sure, it's people in/around my building. Shitting in a box and having that box entice potential thieves as a trap and deterrent has been discussed as an idea by some attractive women who I'd find difficult to shit on me otherwise. I hope they are serious about doing that soon. I really want their shit badly.

Would be interesting if some of those people happen to be here on NG, maybe just so happen to be into cooking, baking or eating; just so happen to stumble into this thread...

I always hope that what I make translates into nice smooth logs and this is no different even though the red meat consumption might make that a little harder.

You've really turned this into an artform. Smooth metabolism/digestion seems key to staying healthy too, potential incentive for all to really stay on the right diet did they share this particular passion hmm ...

BBS Signature

I have cranberry juice with lime, but no cranberry sauce or turkey just yet. In the meantime, I made some pasta with mushrooms, chopped spinach, extra virgin olive oil and salt.

iu_200045_675845.jpg

BBS Signature