00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Scarss just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!!

15,232 Views | 268 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 12:08:04

At 10/29/15 09:52 PM, argile wrote: I must have watched this Bela Lugosi movie at least 4 times now.

A good film and Lugosi was a great actor.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 12:55:49

I watched The Borderlands last night, it was a pretty cool movie about Paganism. Although it got intense at the end, the last few minutes of it really just seemed silly.

I haven't really watched a movie for every day though, I haven't been keeping on track. I am going to finish off tonight with a good one though, The Exorcist.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 13:26:52

Watched Devil's Pass today. Was actually pretty good. As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of found footage movies because they seem to have all gotten crappier since Blair Witch Project, but this one wasn't bad at all. Acting was fine and I thought that the camera work was pretty strong.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 15:51:23

At 10/30/15 12:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 10/29/15 09:52 PM, argile wrote: I must have watched this Bela Lugosi movie at least 4 times now.

Yeah even in the ed wood films ,Acting doesn't fade with age.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 18:31:11

At 10/30/15 03:51 PM, argile wrote:
At 10/30/15 12:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Yeah even in the ed wood films ,Acting doesn't fade with age.

I was gonna save this clip for when I did a year end round up but, you're not wrong https://youtu.be/0cE1fzfOogo

The man was a true talent. I've proably mentioned this before because I do whenever I have context to talk about a Bela Lugosi. Do you remember that rumor that in the movie he was doing his lines phonetically because he didn't speak English? Well it turns out that that wasn't true.
He'd lived in America for about a decade at that point. However when he was doing the play that lead to the movie, he was doing it phonetically. The man was acting off of people speaking gibberish to him and speaking gibberish back to them flawlessly for a live audience. That is a fucking actor.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to finish 1948s the creep and then count to make sure I have 30 flicks.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 21:35:44

At 10/30/15 09:06 AM, argile wrote: I'm sort of confused on what I should watch next ,feeling a bit jaded.

Watch whatever catches your fancy.

Oct 30 (my time flies!)

Watched ReAnimator tonight. I forgot all... awful the corpses in the music are. I don't mean they looked fake, just... disgusting as all hell. Pretty good expansion from the short story I say. And West is a great example of a mad scientist, here's researching not for fame, glory or money. He just wants knowledge and to hell with ethics!

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 21:41:01

At 10/30/15 09:39 PM, KingiOgh wrote: here on my country there is no halloween, just have a story about a pothead who sold the leg to buy cocaine.

That does sound like something that could happen around this season. I hope your day tomorrow is swell, even if it isn't a celebrated day.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-30 21:51:06

okay so tomorrow's the last day of the challenge ...I wonder which one will be most interesting to close it with.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 09:08:18

At 10/30/15 09:51 PM, argile wrote: okay so tomorrow's the last day of the challenge ...I wonder which one will be most interesting to close it with.

Going through Spooks gone wild.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 11:14:45

At 10/30/15 09:51 PM, argile wrote: okay so tomorrow's the last day of the challenge ...I wonder which one will be most interesting to close it with.

Halloween is finally here. Which movie was your favorite?

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 13:07:23

Last night I watched Sinister. With the unearned jump scares, flagrant franchise baiting and the fact it's actually about a man watching found footage I'm comfortable sayin it's everything wrong with modern horror.
But I refuse to let that taint Halloween so I have Beetlejuice on now.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 13:19:58

At 10/31/15 01:07 PM, stafffighter wrote: Last night I watched Sinister. With the unearned jump scares, flagrant franchise baiting and the fact it's actually about a man watching found footage I'm comfortable sayin it's everything wrong with modern horror.

I agree you 100%

But I refuse to let that taint Halloween so I have Beetlejuice on now.

Bettlejuice is amazing. He is the ghost with the most.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 13:59:53

At 10/31/15 01:19 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

Bettlejuice is amazing. He is the ghost with the most.

With any luck this time next year we'll be talking about the sequel.
I'm not kidding. I want Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian to happen as a completly self aware and unashamed celebration of what once made Burton great. What would be more darkly hilarious than seeing Lydia still be a goth into her 40s after having the afterlife confirmed?

BBS Signature

At 10/31/15 11:14 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Halloween is finally here. Which movie was your favorite?

So far my favorite one has be Dracula vs. Frankenstien , while personal runner up would be between Stagefright:Aquarius,return of the living dead 3, hellraiser, and white zombie... haven't finished Spooks run wild but that also looks like a contender. They all have there wonderful absurdities and The atmosphere and overall feeling regardless of the time they came out is all released while not taking them selves to seriously.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 18:05:02

At 10/31/15 02:34 PM, Nebula wrote:
At 10/29/15 08:30 PM, argile wrote: what's the name of this cenobite?
Deep Throat i believe.

That wouldn't be a hard name to believe since her voice is raspy and quiet . Just to call it female cenobite wouldn't be good alone at least her sister abigor in the comics have a name given.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 18:15:23

So, for my last film, I watched 2014's A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. Really slow moving film that was shot in black and white. I liked it, though. It was more of an art house type of movie than a straight horror movie, which was an interesting way to wrap up this month. I'd be hesitant to recommend this to people, though. I can see it turning a lot of folks off.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-31 21:07:39

Oct 31

@Sense-Offender recommended Trick R Treat and a friend of mine had it one DVD so I watched it for Halloween. I liked it, and I'm wondering if Krampus (by the same guys) is going to be any good either. Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-01 09:53:08

I will see "Hotel Transylvania 2" today, and seeing as how this is probably the most disappointing Halloween I've ever had in my whole life, it should be the most fun thing about it this year. Any Adam Sandler that isn't worse than cancer is something worth celebrating.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-01 13:25:04

At 11/1/15 09:53 AM, Ericho wrote: I will see "Hotel Transylvania 2" today, and seeing as how this is probably the most disappointing Halloween I've ever had in my whole life, it should be the most fun thing about it this year. Any Adam Sandler that isn't worse than cancer is something worth celebrating.

How was the film?

Adam Sandler has been sticking things up for a long time.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-01 14:28:42

I really liked the first Hotel Transylvania and am also curious as to how the second came out.
These characters have all had family friendly renditions before so there's no need to hate I on that front, which I've heard people do.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-01 16:29:56

At 11/1/15 02:55 PM, Homicidee wrote: I personally like the first film, because it focuses on Mavis finding someone special. Which turns out to be a human. The second one is pretty cute it focuses more on Adam Sandler's eagerness on Denis (Mavis son) to become a vampire. He shows him how scary monsters really are, but ends up regretting everything towards the end.

I have seen part one, but wasn't sure if the sequel would be good or garbage.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-01 17:12:10

Hell Baby (2013)

lol

Also, I DID IT! 31 MOVIES! OH MY GOD GET A LIFE SENSE-OFFENDER!

Out of the movies I saw this October, I would personally recommend House, the Signal and Eyes Without a Face. And I would NOT recommend Don't Be Afraid of the Dark or ATM.

I didn't do much rewatching like I had intended. I took out my VHS with the Hellraiser trilogy (recorded in LP to fit them) but I only watched the first one and the beginning of the second before passing out. Hadn't seen them in a long time and Hellraiser really holds up.

At 10/31/15 09:07 PM, someaveragechap wrote: Oct 31

@Sense-Offender recommended Trick R Treat and a friend of mine had it one DVD so I watched it for Halloween. I liked it, and I'm wondering if Krampus (by the same guys) is going to be any good either. Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

I hope it will be good. Though Rare Exports is pretty similar. Not Krampus, but evil Santa. Pretty good movie. I remember Kevin Smith was originally planning on doing a Krampus movie, but it didn't work out.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Hope everyone had a great Halloween! @someaveragechap I'm really looking forward to Krampus, and Trick 'r Treat is an absolutely awesome movie. Below is a list of movies I've watched during the past 10 days. On Halloween night I also re-watched Død Snø, Dagon and l'interieur with friends. I've actually overdone it this year, watching so many movies was very tiring and time consuming.

===

[22. The Woman In Black (2012)] I think the setting was in the late 1800 or early 1900's. It was definitely nice and atmospheric. The movie did little to blow my mind though. It was okay.

[22. [REC] 4 - Apocalipsis (2014)] Continues where part 2 was left off, with a hint of part 3 at the side. I love this series, still going strong. Open ending too, can't wait to see where this is going!

[23. I Spit On Your Grave (1978)] A bit old and shaky, but nevertheless a great revenge movie! The sex scenes are pretty laughable but grim at the same time. This one is sure to leave an impression.

[23. House (1986)] Didn't like it much in the beginning but it builds up to a pretty good ending. That Roger character turned out to be pretty badass.

[24. It Came From Outer Space (1953)] I'm starting to wonder how many of the movies I've seen had a writing protagonist. This makes 3 in a row now. It Came From Outer Space wasn't bad. I guess I expected cooler-looking aliens, or a better storyline. Not bad though.

[24. Død Snø / Dead Snow (2009)] While I heard of them, I don't remember ever seeing a movie with zombie nazi's in it (except for The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto maybe). This one is to be taken with a grain of salt, but it didn't disappoint. I had a couple of good laughs here and there. Cool movie. Thanks for the share @ZJ!

[25. Vampyr (1932)] It was okay. The protagonist seems a bit out of place though. He doesn't really do much, apart from lighting candles. It's a shame the vampire doesn't really do much either, and people are just dealing with a bunch of problems he has apparently caused. For what it's worth, it's still a pretty interesting story.

[25. Ouija (2014)] Ugh... Girl drama has no place in horror, I deem it an actual sub-genre now. The appearance of Lin Shaye pretty much saved this movie. She was hands down the best character in this movie. I would recommend against watching this.

[26. The Mothman Prophecies (2002)] Weird concept. Pretty creepy, although it started to feel like Final Destination toward the end. Would still recommend, it's one of the better movies I've seen this year.

[26. Return Of The Living Dead 2 (1988)] I'm loving these series so far. While comical, the zombies from Return Of The Living Dead have intensive eyes, which makes their appearance more unsettling than other zombies. Not to mention they can talk, are faster than usual, intelligent and can only be destroyed using nukes or electricity. While I normally hate child heroes in horror, this kid was alright I guess.

[27. An American Werewolf In Paris (1997)] Lol I'm an idiot. I thought full moon was the 13th of October but that was new moon. Today's actually full moon. American Werewolf In Paris is one of the better werewolf movies out there, I really enjoyed it. Silly like the one in London, featuring zombie companions and a girlfriend in nurse getup.

[27. Tomie 3 - Rebirth (2001)] Tomie 1 was kind of shit, but I remember enjoying Tomie 2, which consisted of several small stories. Tomie 3 wasn't like that though, it's a lot more confusing to watch. I decided to check on the manga and noticed it's a mix-match of several stories, among which chapters of the name: Basin Of The Waterfall, The Painter, Murder, Gathering, and probably a few others I missed. I wished the writer would just pick a story and stick with it.

[28. Pumpkinhead (1988)] When a man is wronged, what does he do? Why, he uses black magic in order to summon a monster from the graveyard of course! It has little to do with pumpkins but this movie certainly was a nice surprise. I really liked it. I just learned there's a couple of sequels too, nice!

[28. Castle Freak (1995)] This one was based on Lovecraft's "The Outsider." Not a bad slasher, Giorgio sure loves his titties! I felt the ending was off, not to mention abrupt. What happened at the end didn't really need to happen, although I guess it was by choice. Worst character by far was the mother. "Your father needs our prayers?" Bitch please.

[29. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (1995)] I just didn't know what to expect from this movie until I finally watched it. Lots of dark humor going on here. Bloody and very atmospheric. The story is actually quite amazing, and really well portrayed. I thought I was going to hate the singing, but it grew onto me. Definitely one of my favorites this year. I'm not sure why I hadn't watched it before.

[29. The Haunting In Connecticut (2009)] Not that scary, but it sure was trying. Honestly, the most unsettling part was when the monochrome still images lead up to the credits. I enjoyed the score quite a bit. Hmm, I don't think anything I've seen this year had the potential of scaring the shit out of me. Disappointing.

[30. Frankenweenie (2012)] A fun little movie with subtle references to Frankenstein related things. I watched it with a couple of friends. New Holland is a pretty cool place to live, if you dislike color and enjoy your dose of racial stereotypes.

[30. V/H/S (2012)] This is a series I've been meaning to start on. It wasn't half bad. Most compilation horrors are pretty terrible, but this is probably the best I've seen. All videos were in pov, had deliberate bad camera quality and great acting. I watched this in hope that it would be inherently creepy, since this can't be said for any of the films I'd seen this year. V/H/S had its moments. Nothing to make me cower, although the webcam segment came close. I liked it.

[31. Funny Games (1997)] The intro song was pretty hilarious, as for the rest, it was really sadistic. The setup of the culprits is quite ingenious, as the watcher even I felt helpless. It's all pretty good stuff up until the part with the shotgun towards the end. I suppose it was meant to convey a feeling of despair, of not being able to win the game. All it did was confuse me. This one was recommended to me. I got to say it's pretty good. I keep thinking about it.

[31. C.H.U.D. (1984)] The sewers of New York are used as a radioactive dumpsite, ultimately spawning cannibalistic monsters from below. This movie wasn't great, but not that bad either. It was all right, I was just way too tired when I watched this.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-02 09:06:46

At 11/2/15 07:37 AM, Whirlguy wrote: [31. C.H.U.D. (1984)] The sewers of New York are used as a radioactive dumpsite, ultimately spawning cannibalistic monsters from below. This movie wasn't great, but not that bad either. It was all right, I was just way too tired when I watched this.

Heh, that was the last thing I tried to watch last year. Passed out Halloween night in the middle of it and finished the next day. Did you hear the commentary track? Best DVD commentary ever.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-02 17:58:00

At 11/2/15 07:37 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

Halloween was okay, but it is still my favorite holiday. Halloween needs more music.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-02 18:37:24

At 11/2/15 05:58 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 11/2/15 07:37 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Hope everyone had a great Halloween!
Halloween was okay, but it is still my favorite holiday. Halloween needs more music.

I know Thriller and Monster Mash are the songs I often associate Halloween with.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-02 23:54:30

As this challenge goes, I've had worse years. Even though the rule about movies you haven't seen seems to have fallen away I tried to stick with it just to force myself to seek out things I'd never see otherwise. I'm going to go down my list now giving simple 1 to 10 ratings, maybe commenting on a movie if it moved me.

1. Atom Age Vampire. I started my atomic age theme very literally. Corny and hilarious for all the wrong reasons. 7.

2.Night Fright. 5

3. Return of Dracula. 7

4. J.d's revenge. 6

5. 1983 Phantom of the Opera. Watching Dr. Quin lip synch opera was trippy. 4

6.1956 Invasion of the body snatchers. 9

7. 1978 Invasion of the body snatchers. 3

8. Toie Frankenstein. 7

9. Invisible Man. A worthy entry in the Universal pantheon. 9

10. Amazing mr. x. 6

11. Walking Dead season premier. 8

12. The Terror. 4

13. It conquered the world. 6

14. Bride of the Monster. Even in a wholly unremarkable film Bela Lugosi is still Bela Lugosi. 5

15. Night of the Ghouls. 4

16. Killers from space. 3

17. The Giant Gila Monster. Of the atomic age stuff I watched this was probably my favorite. Both blatant in what it is and actually decent. 9

18.Rocky Horror Show. A stage rendition of a movie we've all seen a million times, just jarring enough to re-engage. 9

19. Dracula Untold. 7

20. Warm Bodies. 9

21. Deadspace Aftermath. 2

22. Seed of Chucky. 8

23. The Flying Serpent. 4

24. The Beast of Haunted Cave. 3

25. The Undying Monster. 5

26. Cabin in the Woods. 6.

27. Scarecrows. 6

28. Abraham Lincoln Vs. Zombies. 5

29. The Ape. Boris Karloff wears a gorilla suit to kill people for brain fluid. 8

30. The creeper. 5

31. Sinister. Everything wrong with modern horror, right down to the found footage of spooky children. 1

Extras. I wasn't gonna let the Universal dvd pack I bought go to waste. Also I really didn't want to end on Sinister. Do you have a problem when you're done with the horror you're obliged to watch and then watch horror for fun?

Bride of Frankenstein. 10

Halloween. 9

Halloween 2. 7

Nightmare before Christmas. Would never let a year pass without watching this. 10

The Crow. 9

All in all, a great year for movies.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-03 18:52:48

At 11/2/15 11:54 PM, stafffighter wrote: As this challenge goes, I've had worse years. Even though the rule about movies you haven't seen seems to have fallen away I tried to stick with it just to force myself to seek out things I'd never see otherwise. I'm going to go down my list now giving simple 1 to 10 ratings, maybe commenting on a movie if it moved me.

Honestly somethings were made to be forgotten. It's better leave a rating after finishing a movie so you won't make the mistake of watching something like Zombie Decadence by Full Moon Pictures again.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-11-04 09:14:34

I recently rented "Psycho II" (at a library) and I feel bad about not finding a horror movie to watch at home, but I've heard it's at least better than it sounds.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock