00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!!

15,176 Views | 268 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-02 18:58:08

At 10/2/15 04:13 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994) today. Really interesting movie. Loved how meta it was and its critique on the Freddy Krueger films before it, but I'm not sure if it was THAT scary to me. I might just be jaded from having watched so many slasher flicks from that era. Still a quality film, though!

I've never even been a Freddy guy but I loved that movie. It was every inception was but years earlier and a horror movie so no none had to take it seriously.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-02 20:12:51

Oct 2

Watched The Howling today. The practical effects still look swell (except for that part where two of the werewolves are obviously animated in front of a camp fire). Not as scary as I remember it either. Still, those transformations...

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-02 21:55:38

October 2: Friday the 13th [1980]. it's a mistake to get my hopes up on this gurlll.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-03 02:32:23

I watched The Babadook, and I have to admit, it was a pretty alright film. The kid was annoying as all fuck until they dosed him up on meds, but it had a neat premise and the storybook nature of the monster is inspired. Plus that ending is weird as fuck.

Protect the Muska.

Oct 3

Saw The Shining. Still a pretty good movie, but when I watch it, I wince when I think about all the takes and screaming that Stanley Kubrick subjected Shelly Duvall and Scatman Crothers to. Supposedly Shelly started losing hair from stress and Scatman broke down and cried because of all the reshots.

He sure got Shelly to look freaked out as hell, and lots of awesome classic moments in the film.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-03 22:40:01

Watched 2007's Teeth tonight. Very graphic movie. Wasn't that scary to me, but I'll fully admit that I gagged at the violence it showed.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-03 22:48:10

At 10/3/15 10:40 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched 2007's Teeth tonight. Very graphic movie. Wasn't that scary to me, but I'll fully admit that I gagged at the violence it showed.

Been a while since I saw this, but wasn't it basically rape scenes?

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-03 23:08:02

Tonight was 1958's "return of Dracula" The plot is that a painter from an unspecified "old country" is attacked by Dracula on his way to visit his American cousin and Dracula takes his identity, doing what Dracula does. This was very much a 50's movie by a lot of beats. The "old country" that's never specified is only the tip of the iceburg.

There's one interesting scene where an immigration officer goes to the home where Dracula, still in his cover identity, is staying to investigate a murder that happened on his boat. When he doesn't find anything and apologizes for interrupting Dracula says it's ok because in his country he's used to it. That's where we get the line that could only be written during the cold war. "That's the difference between your country and ours. Here we don't investigate a man without very good reason."
I'm sure 1950's Romania had issues but, damn, that's some xenophobic wackiness

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 02:24:47

At 10/3/15 10:48 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:

Yeah. The men (minus like the dad) in this movie are not good people.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 02:30:15

At 10/4/15 02:24 AM, ZJ wrote:
At 10/3/15 10:48 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
Yeah. The men (minus like the dad) in this movie are not good people.

I say Teeth still counts as a horror movie. People actually paid to have it made.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 02:44:56

At 10/2/15 04:13 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994) today. Really interesting movie. Loved how meta it was and its critique on the Freddy Krueger films before it, but I'm not sure if it was THAT scary to me.

I watched it, and I agree that it was not that scary. I did enjoy the story.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 20:40:24

It Follows (2014)

House (1986)

Well, that's better.

It Follows was alright. Climax at the public pool was silly, though. Still pretty creepy, nicely shot and man, that was a good ass score.

House legit made me laugh. Funny shit. I especially loved George Wendt in it. One of my favorite parts, though, is when the main character is holding a shotgun, sees the cops pull up, and his instinct is to just sit on the porch and pretend to clean it and whistle. lmao

So, yeah, House is my highlight so far. Did I mention Don't Be Afraid of the Dark was fucking stupid? Bad stupid, not fun stupid.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Oct 4

Saw John Carpenter's The Thing.

It's really awesome how well the practical effects still hold up. And the ambiguity of the ending... are they both okay? Is one of them infected or are they both infected? The cable version also has a cut of a wolf running along a frozen plane. Real creepy.

makes me chuckle about this movie having Wilford Brimley though

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 21:26:48

At 10/4/15 08:47 PM, someaveragechap wrote: Oct 4

It's really awesome how well the practical effects still hold up. And the ambiguity of the ending... are they both okay? Is one of them infected or are they both infected? The cable version also has a cut of a wolf running along a frozen plane. Real creepy.

Fantastic movie. I always took it that they were both infected and that they were screwed and that they were enjoying a few calm moments before they died, but that's just me.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 21:39:10

At 10/4/15 08:47 PM, someaveragechap wrote: Oct 4

My favorite horror movie ever ever ever. One of my favorite movies of all time in general. Freakiest fucking shit.

SPOILER

Childs is the Thing IMO, but too weak to take RJ. Thinking about it makes me want to get the game. I rented it when it was new, but didn't get far and I hadn't yet seen the movie. It takes place afterward in the same exact place and you're discovering what happened.

makes me chuckle about this movie having Wilford Brimley though

"Ah'll keel yoooou!" cracks me up.

"WATCH CLARK."

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 22:07:30

3rd of October I watched the Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd.
4th of October was a night with Grand Piano, which simply thrilled me.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 22:31:35

Watched The Babadook today. A genuinely creepy and unsettling film. The ending was a bit muddled in my eyes, but I suppose it was meant to be like that as to leave it open to interpretation. It still had a ton of great scares in it while boasting some memorable characters and cool effects. This is definitely one of the better things to come from modern horror.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-04 23:20:18

I was too busy taking my neice to a scream park to watch a movie today but Fortunatly I had an extra in case of emergencies.

1974s J.Ds revenge. By way of stage hypnosis and a possessed hat a good hearted law student is slowly possessed by a 1940s hustler with a score to settle.

What struck me is that for a blacksploitation movie there were a lot of positive characters. The main guy is working his way through law school. His friend who first notices somethong wrong is a doctor. Even the cop and preacher characters are earnest.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-05 02:27:08

I highly recommend "House of Whipcord" from 1972, it's a fun little movie and I thought it was great

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-05 21:55:25

Oct 5

Saw the Blob (1958). Doesn't hold up as well today, but it's always interesting to revisit a film that's already been seen as a child. Totally slipped my mind that the blob came for a meteor. And now I'm wondering if the cold has dropped enough in the Artic for the blob to escape. Probably not.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-05 22:23:06

Watched the first Saw movie tonight and actually dug it! The concept was simple and well executed while being pretty gruesome and creepy. I can see why this flick got a million sequels.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-05 23:20:44

Tonight I watched a 1983 adaption of Phantom of the Opera staring Jane Seymore.

What makes Phantom stand out among the other often adapted stories is how much liberty people take with it. For instance, stories about Dracula are generally about him as a seducer of the innocent. Stories about Frankenstein are generally about how messing in God's domain is bad for you. With this people take the disfigured guy haunting an opera and run with it, completly changing character motivations and the overall story.

In this version the Phantom is a disfigured conductor who's convinced the new young opera singer is the reincarnation of his wife, who killed herself after her debut opera performance was panned. So, revenge with a dash of crazy. I've seen the setting of this story used both better and worse.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 00:50:45

Last night, 5th of October I watched It Follows [2015]. Still not sure if I liked it or not.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 11:18:47

I watched the Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, and I hated it. I was very disappointed.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 15:27:04

Tales From the Hood (1995)

Stag Night (2008)

Yuri Boyka forgot his moves. lol. Both movies were meh.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 21:20:45

Oct 6

Watched Dead Alive(Brain Dead) with some friends. Man, why did Peter Jackson have to fall in love with CGI? The practical effects in this gory masterpiece are so awesome. The love story felt a bit forced though, but whatever. Still get a kick out of this lulzy movie. Some really good lines too. "I kick ass for the lord!"

Lionel's uncle is a total asshole, but he was a stone cold badass when it comes to killing zombies.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 22:10:41

Tonight's was 1956's Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This movie was brilliant in its combination of the the classic use of aliens as the "other" and the palatable cold war tension. As others and paranoid are both timeless I can see why this keeps getting remakes, one of which I'll be watching tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 23:26:59

Last night I watched Donnie Darko [2001] for the 3rd time (because i'm running out of horror films)

i also watched star wars IV

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-06 23:54:09

Watched Zombeavers today. Extremely stupid film in both its concept and execution, but it made me chuckle a few times and it had naked boobies in it, so I'll give it a passing grade.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2015!!! 2015-10-07 00:00:24

At 10/6/15 11:54 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched Zombeavers today. Extremely stupid film in both its concept and execution, but it made me chuckle a few times and it had naked boobies in it, so I'll give it a passing grade.

I heard about that one on Hollywood Babble On's Movies That Will Suck segment. hah

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature