00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lukerevenant just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!!

23,689 Views | 77 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Piper brought up the idea of a Voice Acting forum and we decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to give that a shot. There are a lot of great voice actors on NG but they have never really had a home of their own beyond two threads in the Audio forum.

Introducing the Voice Acting forum!

VAs have free reign to talk shop, share demos, whatever... The community can decide what rules they want as the forum evolves.

If you're looking for voice actors, you can do so in the Voice Actor forum but also give the Collabinator a shot. If I was going to pitch a project in the VA forum, I would post pictures of characters and sample dialog. VAs could then create a samples of how they would voice that character and reply to the thread with a link. If you paste the URL of your NG audio submission on its own line in a forum post, our system will automatically render it as a "rich media link", where other users can even listen to your track without leaving the page by clicking the thumbnail. Example:

It's fun to imagine a character illustration at the top of a thread, followed by audio examples of what that character might sound like.

Today is Follow Friday so follow some VAs! You'll get cool original movies in your feed; it's a great way to discover new artists.

Piper

Apatheria

Laphin

headphoamz

MichaelJ

baugusbryson

dere-kotsu

Br0kenEnglish

SailorSilverStar

Seymour

SirUndead

Reminder to artists - co-author your voice actors on your movies! Working with a VA who isn't on NG? Encourage them to sign up!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 10:39:44

I was literally just thinking such a thing would be a good idea.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 10:56:27

I was wondering when this was going to happen; glad to see a forum for VA's here :)

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 11:13:36

Weeee! Can you spell the fresh paint? We are witnessing the beginning of the best voice acting forum ever! This is going to be a blast!

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 11:15:39

Temperance11 Greatly Approves

Do you guys want specific threads for Advertising Voice demos and Advertising Wanted like the old threads in the Audio Forum?

It appears that one has appeared already for Voice Demos

Open Mic Thread - Post Voice Demo

Should we stick with that one for demos then?

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 11:45:09

Very nice, very nice. Definitely on board with this!

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 12:14:49

At 12/12/14 11:44 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: Do you guys want specific threads for Advertising Voice demos and Advertising Wanted like the old threads in the Audio Forum?

I'm ok with the Open Mic thread being the new voice demo thread. I suppose it would be fine to lock the VA threads in the Audio Forum and close them out with posts redirecting people to the new Audio Forum. As far as the dedicated project thread, I believe once of the concerns was that people pitching projects want to make standalone posts for them, so we might not need a dedicated thread for that.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 12:18:12

Having to be restricted by the puny threads the Audio forum threw our way, where there were rules hindering us from having open discussions about the projects unfolding, sucked. And now we have so much more freedom. I would say anything voice acting related be moved over to the NGVA forum. It'll make the flow of creator to voice actor much more efficient, and encourage creative discussions among the members. Exciting!

Voice of Pipistrella in Pit People, Riley from Zonestream. Voice of Lily, Aurora and Lenora in Everwing

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 12:40:16

In the interest of keeping things as non-confusing as possible, should someone perhaps come up with a template for creators to adhere to when they want to pitch a project?

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 12:51:28

At 12/12/14 12:40 PM, Temperance11 wrote: In the interest of keeping things as non-confusing as possible, should someone perhaps come up with a template for creators to adhere to when they want to pitch a project?

I think that as long as it's not super vague, it's acceptable. There are plenty of examples, good and bad, in the old voice actors wanted thread.

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 12:59:00

At 12/12/14 12:40 PM, Temperance11 wrote: In the interest of keeping things as non-confusing as possible, should someone perhaps come up with a template for creators to adhere to when they want to pitch a project?

As BrokenDeck said. And I think after some trial and error it'll become more clear to us what we would like to specify. Then perhaps we can create a sticky thread at the top with VA forum guidelines.

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:02:43

At 12/12/14 12:51 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: I think that as long as it's not super vague, it's acceptable. There are plenty of examples, good and bad, in the old voice actors wanted thread.

I was thinking something like this...

THE BEST PROJECT EVER

What is it?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

How long will it take?
5 minutes, give or take a few months.

When do I need to send in my Audition by?
Crapurary 35th, 20XX

Where should I send my Audition?
Up your butt and around the corner.

CHARACTERS

Name: Butts MacKenzie
Sex: No
Description: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
# of Lines: 9,001

LINKS AND IMAGES

This is a link

Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!!

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:04:43

At 12/12/14 11:13 AM, Piper wrote:

:We are witnessing the beginning of the best voice acting forum ever!

And the only voice acting forum... ever.

I thought something smelled, I guess it was just you. By the way, I dated your sister.

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:05:08

I am so glad that this is a thing! Much respect for those who worked hard to make this such a thing!

~M~

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:10:26

At 12/12/14 01:02 PM, Temperance11 wrote: I was thinking something like this...

Something like that would fit in the category of "very detailed" for sure. It's a good standard to aim for, but we probably shouldn't make that amount of detail "mandatory".

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:19:11

At 12/12/14 12:14 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/12/14 11:44 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: Do you guys want specific threads for Advertising Voice demos and Advertising Wanted like the old threads in the Audio Forum?

I'm ok with the Open Mic thread being the new voice demo thread. I suppose it would be fine to lock the VA threads in the Audio Forum and close them out with posts redirecting people to the new Audio Forum. As far as the dedicated project thread, I believe once of the concerns was that people pitching projects want to make standalone posts for them, so we might not need a dedicated thread for that.

What works relatively well for the Art Forum are personal showcase threads. That way your demo wouldn't get buried in a several page thread (which nearly noone will check out completely once it's past 4 pages), you could update it regularly without drowning other users' demos with your stuff and you could keep track of your progress (if you don't delete the linked old versions, that is). Of course I don't know what the audio mods think and what works for the VA's... just my two cents.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:19:50

Thanks Tom, you just became 200% more Awesome!

At 12/12/14 01:04 PM, MHFU-TeamLeader wrote:
At 12/12/14 11:13 AM, Piper wrote: We are witnessing the beginning of the best voice acting forum ever!
And the only voice acting forum... ever.

Oh, you mean on Newgrounds? Yes! It's about time, right?

At 12/12/14 01:02 PM, Temperance11 wrote: <pretty much what every VA forum out there expects of a project thread>

Yes! This is a great template. Maybe at some point we can have something like this in the va forum guidelines to help people make a successful casting call/audition/voice actor(s) wanted thread. I think it would be helpful. Not a required format, but a suggested one. Hehe. I like how you typed this out.

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:38:06

Good idea Piper, thanks Tom!

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 13 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:39:01

At 12/12/14 01:21 PM, Piper wrote: Yes! This is a great template. Maybe at some point we can have something like this in the va forum guidelines to help people make a successful casting call/audition/voice actor(s) wanted thread. I think it would be helpful. Not a required format, but a suggested one. Hehe. I like how you typed this out.

Hey thanks! I could probably start up another thread with that template on there, if we think that's a good idea.

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 13:42:10

Featured in the post? I'm basically famous now. Take that, the world!

Thanks for the forum, I think it'll do a lot of good.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 14:44:08

Hooray! No more VA spam in the audio forum.

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 15:05:29

This is going to be really helpful. Surprised it didn't happen till now

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 15:07:14

Thank you Poppa Fulp! Looks like Christmas has come early!!!

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 15:30:42

At 12/12/14 10:29 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is Follow Friday so follow some VAs! You'll get cool original movies in your feed; it's a great way to discover new artists.

Where's my shout out Tom? WHERE'S MINE???

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 15:32:38

Awww yeeaa finally!

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 15:42:15

At 12/12/14 01:39 PM, Temperance11 wrote: Hey thanks! I could probably start up another thread with that template on there, if we think that's a good idea.

Started one anyway

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 16:16:01

At 12/12/14 02:44 PM, Luer wrote: Hooray! No more VA spam in the audio forum.

Been a long time coming. I'm sure Purgy and BrokenDeck were sick to death of posting those same links over and over again before locking threads.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Forum - It's here!!! 2014-12-12 16:26:44

At 12/12/14 04:16 PM, FinaLee wrote:
At 12/12/14 02:44 PM, Luer wrote: Hooray! No more VA spam in the audio forum.
Been a long time coming. I'm sure Purgy and BrokenDeck were sick to death of posting those same links over and over again before locking threads.

Too bad Purgy will never get to see this.