00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread

9,929 Views | 145 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 21:03:36

Hello, people of Newgrounds! :D My name is Andrew (but you can call me TheDoor6). I’m a 17-year-old kid of only slightly below-average intelligence from suburban Massachusetts, and I’m about to CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER. That’s right - YOURS! How, you ask? Well, keep reading, my friend, and I’ll show you!

You see, not too long ago, the land of Newgrounds was a rather hostile place. Many of the individuals who resided there were engaged in a business known as music, which relied on the cooperation of the community to remain fruitful to all. However, the community quickly grew less and less cooperative, with some citizens engaging in horrible acts of witchcraft such as zero-bombing and not reviewing back friends who reviewed their work. The once-great kingdom of Newgrounds quickly devolved into a place where tormented souls of past citizens roamed around the land, their growth as musicians stagnated by the negligence of their peers.

Then, one day, as if by a miracle, an angel appeared over the horizon and came to liberate the oppressed souls of Newgrounds. This angel was young, so young that in many countries, he couldn’t drink, drive, or even vote. He rarely showered and even more rarely shaved, yet he was the most beautiful thing the citizens of Newgrounds had ever witnessed. He was known to his close friends and family as Andrew, and to the others simply as TheDoor6. Together with his disciples, who included Bosa, Camoshark, Johnfn, Steampianist, and Troisnyx, he sought to make Newgrounds a cooperative and tight-knit community of artists again, by giving many of the oppressed souls new motivation and new reviews as part of a competition which he called the Newgrounds Audio Underdogs Contest 2014!

Wow, that was quite the long-winded story, huh?

ANYWAY

Here’s how this thing is going to work: You have until Friday, August 8th at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (i.e., Newgrounds time!) to submit your "tryout" piece. Absolutely no exceptions. Please note that this is not even close to as much time as you’re given in the NGADM to choose your audition. Your tryout can either consist of a piece you’ve previously made or a piece you made from scratch for the competition. Either way, it must be your original work, generally comply with NG Audio Portal rules, and display your musical ability to its fullest extent. All you have to do is post it IN THIS THREAD (with no HTML, please). You can change which piece you’re auditioning with, but ONLY ONCE. In order to do so, CLEARLY state in this thread that you’d like to change it.

We’ll announce who has made it through tryouts on Monday, August 11th. These “surviving” participants will be divided evenly among 3 groups based on how many fans they have. This way, the underdogs among the individuals who make it into the competition have a greater chance of advancing further.

If you do make it into the competition, you have until Friday, August 22nd at 11:59 EST to submit a completely original track made from scratch for the competition to another thread which will be made for that purpose. This is the "knock-out round." You can’t start working on this piece until the minute we announce the tryout’s “survivors.” If we find evidence of you doing so, you will be automatically disqualified. Also, there will be NO remixes, re-makes, mash-ups, covers, arrangements, or anything like that for this round. Your piece really has to be COMPLETELY original. However, on the plus side, you may receive a superior score for incorporating original styles into your submission or making a piece the genre of which you previously didn’t attempt.

The winners of each group will be announced by Monday, August 25th. Then, those winners will face each other in an epic finale! They’ll have 2 more weeks (until Friday, September 5th at 11:59 p.m. EST) to submit their final pieces! :D All rules for the knock-out round apply to this one as well. The complete list of details for this round will be posted in that thread in a couple of weeks. The winner of the competition will be announced on Monday, September 9th.

Prizes for each of the group winners will include forum signatures corresponding to their places, spots on the front page of the NG Audio Portal for the 4 winning pieces, and...well...ETERNAL GLORY!!! @Bad-Man-Incorporated has also generously offered to feature the one overall winner and the winning track on his radio show. Check it out now at www.wecamefromthebasement.com. Stay tuned for all the juicy details! >:D

For an important list of rules I did not have space to discuss in this thread, please click HERE.

Also, not all of the judging spots have been filled yet, so if you'd like to help score the submissions for ANY group, just shoot me a PM! ;D

And...I think that’s about it! Whew!

Yup, that’s a lot of information, and this competition has some pretty strict rules...but don’t let that overwhelm you! This is why we made this competition, after all - for YOU, Newgrounders! This never would've happened if it weren't for your positive response to this thread here. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to PM me (TheDoor6) or any of the other judges, which now include Bosa, Camoshark, Johnfn, Steampianist, Troisnyx, and me. So let’s all band together and make this competition awesome! >:D

Also, if you just read all that in one sitting, you get an A+. ;)

So, let the competition BEGIN! :D

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 22:21:26

Have you tried contacting Tom and ask him to leave something on the front page for this contest?

Just a random idiot

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 22:29:46

At 8/4/14 10:21 PM, Ectisity wrote: Have you tried contacting Tom and ask him to leave something on the front page for this contest?

No, I have not, but I have contacted a moderator about getting the winners' submissions on the front page. That's a good idea, though...thanks for the advice! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 22:48:55

Glad this is actually happening! I do have one issue, though. It's with the statement you made below:

At 8/4/14 09:03 PM, TheDoor6 wrote: However, on the plus side, you may receive a superior score for making a piece the genre of which you previously didn’t attempt.

This seems a bit unfair. I shouldn't miss out on bonus points just for entering a piece that I composed in a genre I'm fluent and comfortable with.

Ah, well. I'm going to enter anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 23:07:21

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 23:16:06

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-04 23:19:47

At 8/4/14 10:48 PM, larrynachos wrote: Glad this is actually happening! I do have one issue, though. It's with the statement you made below:

At 8/4/14 09:03 PM, TheDoor6 wrote: However, on the plus side, you may receive a superior score for making a piece the genre of which you previously didn’t attempt.
This seems a bit unfair. I shouldn't miss out on bonus points just for entering a piece that I composed in a genre I'm fluent and comfortable with.

Ah, well. I'm going to enter anyways.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/582660

Hmm...okay, I understand your point-of-view, but one of the big goals of this competition is to drive people to improve, and we felt like one of the best ways to do that was to encourage directed experimentation. If other people have a problem with that, though, I will discuss amending the rules with the other judges. Thanks for your feedback, Larrynachos. Admittedly, this competition is a bit of an experiment for me too. ;)

@Seprix @JoshuaHughes Thanks for your submissions, guys! ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 00:12:55

At 8/4/14 10:21 PM, Ectisity wrote: Have you tried contacting Tom and ask him to leave something on the front page for this contest?

Tom doesn't manage the front page audio, the Audio Mods do, he would probably just tell you to talk to one of us.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 06:06:44

Follower-based competition? Sounds sweet. I'll give it a shot.

Good luck to everyone!

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 06:52:41

Count me in!

@Back-From-Purgatory
I was actually referring to the calendar deadline thingy on the top left of the frontpage.
Don't know what it's called X3.

Oh and btw op, I think it's a bit stupid to give someone superior score for being able to make music in different genre.
Some people are only able to make one genre, but they're awesome at that one genre, while someone is able make a lot of different genres, but are mediocre at all of them, and at last you have the prodigies that are just awesome at all genres.
Then that person would easily win, but then the contest becomes a contest to see who has the most flexibility :/.
Ok that made no sense at all, did it. I saw a guy talking about the same think earlier, so just read his post, and that's my opinion as well XD.

Just a random idiot

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 07:18:20

Good luck with the competition!

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 07:44:00

Good luck from me too. It's great to see this competition happening!

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 09:32:22

At 8/5/14 06:52 AM, Ectisity wrote:
Oh and btw op, I think it's a bit stupid to give someone superior score for being able to make music in different genre.

Okay, I see. I will talk to the judges about this, then. Thanks. ;)

@Etherealwinds @Voltus Glad to see some people are half as excited as I am for this contest! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 09:45:03

BTW, 'Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread' doesn't sound like a very interesting title. If I hadn't known what it was, I probably wouldn't have clicked it in the audio forum. Perhaps you'd get more traffic if you changed it to something that made it a little more clear as to what it was? Just a suggestion.

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 09:54:15

At 8/5/14 09:45 AM, LunacyEcho wrote: BTW, 'Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread' doesn't sound like a very interesting title. If I hadn't known what it was, I probably wouldn't have clicked it in the audio forum. Perhaps you'd get more traffic if you changed it to something that made it a little more clear as to what it was? Just a suggestion.

I'm not sure I'm able to change it at this point, but I'll keep that in mind for the future rounds. Thanks. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 10:47:47

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 11:28:21

Hello people this is my entry,btw i'm new here at Newgrounds so please let me know if i did anything wrong :) http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/584015

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 13:13:44

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 17:53:34

Good luck with this contest! I did read all that in one sitting, but it was difficult since I have terrible vision, lol.
I will use the same audition song that I used for ngadm.

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-05 19:11:14

Well, I will just leave my latest work here :)

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-06 10:14:46

Okay, I talked it over with the judges, and it's official everyone: the "you may receive a superior score for incorporating original styles into your submission or making a piece the genre of which you previously didn’t attempt” rule has been OVERRIDDEN. So, for the people who were previously concerned: don't worry about it! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-06 11:40:51

Ah good. I say that because I've attempted a tonne of genres so it would be hard to find one I'd never tried unless you wanted to turn me into an EDM producer. *shudders*

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-06 19:33:34

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-06 22:25:01

At 8/6/14 07:33 PM, aliaspharow wrote: SWEEEET :D I'm so happy to be allowed into this thing!

Yay! :D I'm glad we were able to include non-underdogs, too. It just seemed unfair to exclude so many users. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-06 22:53:20

I is gunna participate

here ya go

I'm too lazy to make a signature.

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-07 11:42:15

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-07 11:44:02

Yay! We're already up to 15 submissions! Keep 'em comin', guys! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-07 13:19:53

Mind if I'm #16? o_o

At 8/7/14 11:44 AM, TheDoor6 wrote:

Yay! We're already up to 15 submissions! Keep 'em comin', guys! :D

Music Composer & Sound Designer

Website | BandCamp

SoundCloud | YouTube

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-07 14:30:15

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music.

[✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans.

Moving up the ladder.

Response to Ofcl Ngaucontest Tryout Thread 2014-08-07 14:42:29

At 8/7/14 11:44 AM, TheDoor6 wrote: Yay! We're already up to 15 submissions! Keep 'em comin', guys! :D

I entered with light in the darkness but I want to change into this.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature