00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit

9,157 Views | 95 Replies

Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:03:35

There was a documentary made in 2009 called Fat Head that is a direct rebuttal to the movie Super Size Me. Turns out, a high fat diet is actually the best one you can possibly have, and that carbohydrates are what cause diabetes and heart disease. Tom Naughton actually lost weight eating nothing but McDonald's. He goes on to state that Spurlock, the maker of Super Size Me, lied about most of his information, and lied about how much food he was actually eating. Give it a watch (it's free on Hulu); Tom Naughton can explain this a whole hell of a lot better than I can.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:05:10

Also, cholesterol is good for you. Fuck me if I knew that.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:11:53

At 9/23/12 08:05 PM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Yes carbs are basically the wrost thing you can put into your body besides harmful drugs.

And STDs

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:12:24

The food is healthy, as otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to constantly say such as the law would get on their ass. But that still doesn't mean you only want to eat it.

Also did anyone really care about supersizeme? The concept gave me a quick smirk but then I lost interest.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:14:05

At 9/23/12 08:13 PM, Light wrote: I suppose the overwhelming majority of members in the medical community are wrong.

The OP is obviously more knowledgeable about this subject.

BUT TEH LINKS!

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:16:03

At 9/23/12 08:13 PM, Light wrote: I suppose the overwhelming majority of members in the medical community are wrong.

Give me the direct quote where I said I was smarter than medical scientists. You're probably going to have a hard time doing that, because said quote doesn't exist. If you'd actually watch the documentary, you'd see that Tom is actually right.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:17:14

At 9/23/12 08:05 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Also, cholesterol is good for you. Fuck me if I knew that.

There are different kinds of cholesterol, HDL and LDL are among them.

HDL is the good cholesterol which can help remove the left over fat from your artery. LDL on the other hand are what cause the issues in your body in the first place. When people said cholesterol are bad, they're actually referring to the LDL.

Another thing, carbohydrates are bad because there are people who wouldn't move an inch to work them off.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:21:03

At 9/23/12 08:12 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Also did anyone really care about supersizeme? The concept gave me a quick smirk but then I lost interest.

I just looked at it as an experiment (which it was). If someone is realistically eating McDonalds every day, then something is wrong with them.

ROCK AND ROLL MCDONALDS

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:21:26

At 9/23/12 08:17 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 9/23/12 08:05 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Also, cholesterol is good for you. Fuck me if I knew that.
There are different kinds of cholesterol, HDL and LDL are among them.

LDL and HLD aren't cholesterol. Those are proteins that move cholesterol. That's a common misnomer.

Cholesterol is required for human life. If you had no cholesterol in your body, your nervous system down shut down, and you would suffer serious brain damage, and then death would follow soon after that. Cholesterol also helps repair the cell walls of your veins and arteries. when they get damaged.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:24:29

McDonald's is plastic garbage. Don't even.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:25:42

Less-than-partly correct, your body needs a bit of HDL-type cholesterol.

At 9/23/12 08:05 PM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Yes carbs are basically the wrost thing you can put into your body besides harmful drugs.

Your body needs carbs. It's essentially basic energy.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:25:48

At 9/23/12 08:03 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Tom Naughton actually lost weight eating nothing but McDonald's.

Well there's a big difference between ordering a salad and a large Big Mac.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:27:47

If watching the whole documentary seems daunting, then watch these two clips from it, which basically explain the problem:

One, Two

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:29:00

At 9/23/12 08:25 PM, T3XT wrote:
At 9/23/12 08:03 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Tom Naughton actually lost weight eating nothing but McDonald's.

Also the basic concept of how people differ from each other, I could eat at McDonalds for the rest of my life (which would be shortened) and not put on any weight at all, likely just loosing even more of the weight I really can't be affording to loose. Others are fat and they just eat salads.

And no, I'm not giving any care into finding out if both men have similar metabolisms or not as I really couldn't give a shit about people who are trying to be popular whining at each other for doing things before them.

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:30:34

At 9/23/12 08:25 PM, Zirocket wrote:
Less-than-partly correct, your body needs a bit of HDL-type cholesterol.

HDL isn't cholesterol. It's a protein that moves cholesterol around.

Your body needs carbs. It's essentially basic energy.

No, it isn't. Carbs are are basically complex sugar, which have to be broken down and stored as fat. Fat is basic energy.

At 9/23/12 08:25 PM, T3XT wrote:

He eats Big Macs and McBiscuits. I don't think he eats any salads during the entire month.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:31:22

At 9/23/12 08:21 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote:

Cholesterol is required for human life. If you had no cholesterol in your body, your nervous system down shut down, and you would suffer serious brain damage, and then death would follow soon after that. Cholesterol also helps repair the cell walls of your veins and arteries. when they get damaged.

Well duh, the problem is that it's the excess amount of cholesterol consumed that can lead to health problems and remember there are good and bad kinds. It's the same with carbos as they happen to fuel your body when you need to move as well, but if you don't move, you can guess what happens.

Unfortunately, the problem is there are many people who wouldn't walk a single block and would drive instead.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:31:48

Well, OP was right that the director of Super Size Me lied. He hasn't revealed his diet, for one, and health experts have called bullshit on him. For example, not only did he eat McDonald's every day he also never exercised. He basically manipulated the results in order to look correct and use propaganda to scare people.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:36:21

At 9/23/12 08:31 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote:

Well, OP was right that the director of Super Size Me lied. He hasn't revealed his diet, for one, and health experts have called bullshit on him. For example, not only did he eat McDonald's every day he also never exercised. He basically manipulated the results in order to look correct and use propaganda to scare people.

I remember he did monitored how much time he walked during the documentary. He actually made sure to walk less than the amount the average Americans walked during that time span.

All and all, it didn't help that he Supersized almost every oders he amde and wolfed them down in one sitting each order. The real scare tactics was actually the ending when he did the experiment on how long it'll take the food to rot. Honestly though, how many products didn't have preservatives added in?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:39:53

OP said nothing of the sort. I have watched Fat Head and the science in it certainly holds up better than the science in Super Size Me. Super Size Me wasn't against McDonald's, it had an agenda. Now Fat Head had an agenda, to show that Super Size Me was lying. I hate documentaries that don't look to give information, show both sides of the story, or when they do give information leave out facts that could harm them or twist information to fit their agenda.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:42:20

At 9/23/12 08:34 PM, OwnageGiy221 wrote:

"Contrary to popular belief, there are not two cholesterol types -- there's only one type. What people think of as the different forms of cholesterol are really cholesterol complexes that are created to transport cholesterol through the bloodstream. The three main types of these complexes are low density lipoprotein (the "bad" cholesterol), high density lipoprotein (the "good" cholesterol), and very low density lipoprotein (VLDL)."

Pretty much adds to the confusion when the DLs are still referred to as "cholesterol complexes". Still, in the end it's the amount consumed that factors in the health as well as the activities.

Nice bit on the VLDL, now that's something one would hope to have less of.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:42:24

At 9/23/12 08:39 PM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Also the kind of fat in mcdonalds food is saturated fat which is awful for you and should never be eaten everyday.

I think you meantrans-fat. Those are basically toxic and can kill you. Saturated fat is the good kind that is found in animals.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:46:19

At 9/23/12 08:39 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I hate documentaries that don't look to give information, show both sides of the story, or when they do give information leave out facts that could harm them or twist information to fit their agenda.

When it comes to studies cherry picking isn't illegal but lying is. Including medical studies and pharmacy tests etc. You may be shocked to know that there are likely no medical studies which you hear about which don't withhold information. Pharmacy's are one of if not the worst at this, choosing a handful from hundreds of subjects which actually showed positive results and claiming it is highly successful even if the majority had no effect etc.

It had some relevance to your post and is interesting to know, the more you know.

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:51:18

At 9/23/12 08:47 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: I saw Fat Head a while ago, and I wish that more people would too. It's good that someone's willing to expose Spurlock for the lying shit that he is.

I looked it up and it seemed pretty well received.

I'll check it out when I have time.

I'm going to work off some carbohydrates.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 20:54:09

At 9/23/12 08:48 PM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: If thats the kind in mcdonalds food then yes. Good fat is the kind you find in vegetable oil, legumes, nuts.
But really all nutritional advice from experts until now has been total bullshit. I don't really know much about saturated fat

Saturated fats are natural. All animals have saturated fat and so do each and everyone of us. However although these fats are good for the heart and for energy they can fatten you up.

Trans fats are actually quite bad for you. The people who wanted saturated fats out of restaurants, wanted them replaced with trans fats. Now trans fats are proven to be bad for you and they're doing a complete turn-around. Fat Head talks about these people, they're the same ones who also want healthy items on fast food menus and for prices to go up on the other so called "unhealthy" foods as well as the soda tax.

There is an elitism to people like Morgan Spurlock and others who think they know what is better for you than you do. To tell you what to eat, to say what your children should and shouldn't be allowed to eat in schools. What restaurants can be built around your children's high schools, universities, and campuses. It's bullshit and unconstitutional.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 21:03:12

At 9/23/12 08:54 PM, The-Great-One wrote: There is an elitism to people like Morgan Spurlock and others who think they know what is better for you than you do. To tell you what to eat, to say what your children should and shouldn't be allowed to eat in schools. What restaurants can be built around your children's high schools, universities, and campuses. It's bullshit and unconstitutional.

Exactly. Let's just say that sat. fat is bad for you (it isn't but keep with me). Who the fuck cares if I eat it? Does it hurt them if I eat something unhealthy? This is America; I figured the right to eat what you want is a given. If I want to eat unhealthily, then I'm going to do it, and fuck you if you don't like it. It's not your body.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 21:07:04

At 9/23/12 08:54 PM, The-Great-One wrote: There is an elitism to people like Morgan Spurlock and others who think they know what is better for you than you do. To tell you what to eat, to say what your children should and shouldn't be allowed to eat in schools. What restaurants can be built around your children's high schools, universities, and campuses. It's bullshit and unconstitutional.

This, this, this, this, this.

All other things aside, how much you eat is infinitely worse than what. There was a documentary on the fattest man in the UK a while ago that basically proved it, since he was actually eating all-healthy stuff. The problem was that he was eating a month's supply of it in a week.

Saying any type of food is "bad" for you is childish. Fat (regardless of type) is good if you're doing a lot of exercise to balance it out so it doesn't build up; vitamins are poisonous in large enough quantities. The dose, not the substance, is what you have to watch for, and as long as you do that, this whole diet shit is really easy. Energy in > Energy out if you want to lose weight; Energy in = Energy out if you want to stay the same.

Fuck the people trying to make it complicated just so they can sound better than you when it comes to how you choose to feed yourself.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 21:11:46

Well, it certainly didn't help that the guy went from exercising to stopping altogether, eating only from the McDonald's Menu, and taking the largest portions he could from the restaurant.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 21:38:06

At 9/23/12 09:11 PM, Crazywill wrote: Well, it certainly didn't help that the guy went from exercising to stopping altogether, eating only from the McDonald's Menu, and taking the largest portions he could from the restaurant.

Meanwhile, Tom actually did eat McDonald's every day, and only did mild exercise (he walked a couple miles a day), he lost weight, and his cholesterol level improved, and his blood sugar rates were improved.

Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-23 21:40:32

nope no nope i cannot believe this nope my health teacher showed me super size me in school twice i wont believe that what you say is true no no NO NOPE NO NO NOT TRUE LIES NO NOPE NOT TRUE

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg