Be a Supporter!

Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit

  • 4,764 Views
  • 119 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
OwnageGiy221
OwnageGiy221
  • Member since: May. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 00:57:56 Reply

At 9/24/12 12:41 AM, Saen wrote:
At 9/24/12 12:14 AM, OwnageGiy221 wrote:
At 9/24/12 12:11 AM, Saen wrote:
Literally everything you've stated is addressed and refuted in the documentary. Give it a watch.
longpost

I get that you're trying to be open-minded, but you have to recognize that the mainstream view is sometimes the correct one. Carbs cause diabetes and heart disease, and you can say that they don't until the dogs come home; that doesn't change it. There's no valid scientific evidence that suggests that sat. fat is linked to heart disease. The person who came up with the Lipus hypotheses (the idea that sat. fat is liked to heart disease) lied. He manipulated the evidence. He kept the results that supported his idea, and cut out the ones that didn't. He is the reason that carbs are in high use today. He is the reason there's so much obesity and diabetes.

JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 01:16:01 Reply

OP is basing his entire arguement on what he's learned from a single film that he has no reason to believe is any more reliable than supersize me. Both films are flawed in premise by assuming that a single mans metabolism will be representative of the population and that a month on any diet can adequately portray the longterm effects of living on a diet of only McDonalds food. While Spurlock may have embellished facts to make his arguement more one-sided he was right about a lot of things. Supersize portions were ridiculous, I think we can all agree unless anyone thinks that a 42-ounce cup of cola is a healthy accompaniment to a meal. Naughtons point that carbohydrates are bad for you in excess is a valid one but is nothing new and is frankly moot when you consider the carbohydrate content of the average mcdonalds meal. Justifying fats and cholesterol by pointing out that they are necessary in the body but then demonizing carbohydrates which are also vital, especially in metabolism is incredibly shortsighted too, a good diet needs to be balanced and cutting carbohydrates from it while loading on fats and cholesterol is as bad as the alternative.

Rant aside, OP has chosen to believe one films findings over that over another simply because its telling them what they want to hear. I've spent enough time studying metabolism at uni to know that its not as black and white as some of you here choose to believe and that you need more knowledge of something this complex than 90 minutes of biased corporate-funded propaganda can provide to consider yourself an expert.

Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 01:17:24 Reply

At 9/23/12 08:12 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: The food is healthy, as otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to constantly say such as the law would get on their ass. But that still doesn't mean you only want to eat it.

Do you really think the law cracks down on poor health conditions? Whistleblowers in the FDA have had their lives threatened if they spoke up on an issue.

At 9/23/12 08:31 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Well, OP was right that the director of Super Size Me lied. He hasn't revealed his diet, for one, and health experts have called bullshit on him. For example, not only did he eat McDonald's every day he also never exercised. He basically manipulated the results in order to look correct and use propaganda to scare people.

I haven't seen Fat Head and I haven't seen Supersize Me since I was a little kid, so I can't speak much on the facts, but if Supersize Me presented fabricated facts, is there any reason why Fat Head wouldn't?


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

JoS
JoS
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 01:31:44 Reply

I looked at the food log for Fat Head. first off he didn't eat all his meals at McDonalds, he also ate Carls Jr, KFC, Boston Marketplace and other places. Second he never had fries, hash browns or non-diet soda. Third when eating breakfast he only ate half of the English muffin and often ate none of the English muffin which his Egg McMuffin would come on.

So how many people go to McDonalds and dont get fries with their meal and order a diet soda as well. Most people don't, they get the combo. Who orders an egg McMuffin and throws out the top half of the muffin? Nobody.

Sprulock cut out exercise because, surprise a lot of people don't exercise so thats hardly a point to criticize him on as well.


Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 01:35:40 Reply

At 9/24/12 12:57 AM, OwnageGiy221 wrote:
I get that you're trying to be open-minded, but you have to recognize that the mainstream view is sometimes the correct one. Carbs cause diabetes and heart disease, and you can say that they don't until the dogs come home; that doesn't change it. There's no valid scientific evidence that suggests that sat. fat is linked to heart disease. The person who came up with the Lipus hypotheses (the idea that sat. fat is liked to heart disease) lied. He manipulated the evidence. He kept the results that supported his idea, and cut out the ones that didn't. He is the reason that carbs are in high use today. He is the reason there's so much obesity and diabetes.

If you actually read my long post, you would have noticed what most nutritionalists distinguish between good and bad carbs. Carbs accumulated in the body from sugars most certainly can contribute to obesity when they are not burned properly through exercise.

I have no idea what this Lipus hypothesis you're referring to is about (or if was even a legitimate scientific experiment published through a credible journal), however many journal entries have been published on the study of saturated fats and other macro nutrients and how varying amounts of each affect human health and weight gain. Here is an example

Here is an interesting note for the current carb correlated to weight gain mindset taken from the journal abstract, "After controlling for potential confounders, none of the calorie-contributing nutrient intakes at baseline was associated with subsequent weight at 6 or 18 months."

"However, agreater intake of saturated fat at 6 months was associated with higher weight at 18 months (P = 0.002)."

The abstract concludes with the statement, "However, a lower saturated fat intake achieved after 6-month intervention predicts a lower body weight at 18 months and thus greater weight-loss maintenance."

As you can read, this article was published in March 2012, which is quite current to our standards. Obviously since this experiment was published through the world-renowned science journal Nature, the results are quite credible and unbiased by media propaganda.

If you're interested in reading the entire journal article, most universities allow you to log onto its library system and access its journal subscriptions (I'm sure every major university has a Nature subscription"). Otherwise you can visit a public library.

So basically what this abstract states is no macro-nutrient macro nutrient consumed in larger amounts compared to others showed any weight gain in any individual. However, saturated fat was the only macronutrient that did show slight weight gain. This means carbs, when consumed in excess didn't show any relation to weight gain in this 18 month experiment conducted.

Snake-Arsenic
Snake-Arsenic
  • Member since: Feb. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 01:43:23 Reply

At 9/24/12 12:11 AM, Saen wrote: This fear of carbs is another new diet trend that has recently emerged. Like fats in general, there are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs are obtained from whole grains, which provide lasting energy and make a person feel full. What we now consider bad carbohydrates come from sugars, which provide a quick boost in energy, but do not satisfy hunger. However, this distinction is not written out on a nutrition label, you have to look for yourself in the ingredients where most of your carbs are coming from (or look at the sugar content to give you an idea).

Actually, there is no such thing as good or bad carbs. However, whole intact grains have a lower glycemic index which means they metabolize into blood sugar at a slower rate over time than more processed/broken/cooked grains. This index is labeled under "GI".

Depriving yourself of all carbs or curbing your carb intake (Atkins diet) is not an effective dieting method. Good carbs provide the long lasting energy you need throughout the day. Eating only protein without a substance to satisfy hunger and give you energy is a diet that is bound to fail (and I've seen it fail through several people).

Correct, to eliminate carbs altogether would require someone to stop eating which is stupid, but food that is both high carb and high GI can cause problems. For example, white, wholemeal and wholewheat bread have a high GI which means they contribute more to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer than bagged cane sugar, which has an intermediate GI.

If you're going the flow with the most popular modern dieting methods, you're behind on what's cool. Currently, eating too many calories is the next big thing that is destroying your body, which is just ridiculous. A person can't restrict food consumption to calories, just eat healthy and reasonably that's all a person has to do to give himself the chance to lose weight!

Calorie counting is an energy in/energy out equation. Everyone burns calories at different rates and usually a doctor is needed to work this out. It's only use is to prevent overeating and help control the rate at which fat is stored, other than that its got nothing to do with eating healthy.

JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 02:04:09 Reply

At 9/24/12 12:57 AM, OwnageGiy221 wrote: The person who came up with the Lipus hypotheses (the idea that sat. fat is liked to heart disease) lied. He manipulated the evidence. He kept the results that supported his idea, and cut out the ones that didn't. He is the reason that carbs are in high use today. He is the reason there's so much obesity and diabetes.

Okay so one persons study was fabricated. You are aware that all significant hypotheses are subject to extensive peer review where their findings are scrutinized and experiments are repeated many times by different experts before being accepted by the scientific community? Are you also aware that there were many other studies investigating the link between heart disease and saturated fats which support this hypothesis. While studies in this area have had conflicting findings there is no strong argument to suggest that sat fats are not linked to heart disease. Also, fabricated results does not necesserily mean that this hypothesis is wrong. Throughout history many noted scientists have been shown to have doctored their experimental evidence to account for variations they were unable to explain, notably the austrian monk Mendel, an early pioneer in the field of genetics although correct in his assumptions regarding heredity has been shown to have altered his evidence to make it fit better and to have disregarded patterns of heredity he could not explain. A modern example, drug companys will often withhold study data to make their drugs look more effective in trials than they were because they are not obliged ny law to release all their data to the public. This is obviously wrong but is more widespread than you'de think and is not irrefutable proof that someone is wrong.
And what makes you think that a study linking saturated fats to heart disease would result in carbohydrates being in high use? I'm not seeing the link. Care to enlighten me?

OwnageGiy221
OwnageGiy221
  • Member since: May. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 02:15:46 Reply

At 9/24/12 02:04 AM, JoHobo2 wrote:
At 9/24/12 12:57 AM, OwnageGiy221 wrote: The person who came up with the Lipus hypotheses (the idea that sat. fat is liked to heart disease) lied. He manipulated the evidence. He kept the results that supported his idea, and cut out the ones that didn't. He is the reason that carbs are in high use today. He is the reason there's so much obesity and diabetes.
I didn't watch the documentary.

Oh, hey, someone who didn't bother watching the free documentary, and only brought up points that were refuted in said documentary. I could explain in detail why you are wrong in every aspect, but I am very tired, and as I said, it's in the documentary.

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 02:19:45 Reply

At 9/24/12 01:43 AM, Snake-Arsenic wrote:
Correct, to eliminate carbs altogether would require someone to stop eating which is stupid, but food that is both high carb and high GI can cause problems. For example, white, wholemeal and wholewheat bread have a high GI which means they contribute more to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer than bagged cane sugar, which has an intermediate GI.

I think you've mistaken your GI index reference. Suppose I have 300 calories worth of sugar and 300 calories worth of whole grain bread. Consuming 300 calories of bread not only requires a much greater amount of time to digest when compared to 300 calories of sugar, but also the time for the carbohydrates to be absorbed into the body is greater when compared to sugar. This explains why "good carbs" give you a sense of satisfy hunger while providing you with sustained energy while sugar-based carbs provide an almost instant source of energy that the body rapidly burns through.


Calorie counting is an energy in/energy out equation. Everyone burns calories at different rates and usually a doctor is needed to work this out. It's only use is to prevent overeating and help control the rate at which fat is stored, other than that its got nothing to do with eating healthy.

Yet people are taking this "calorie-counting" approach as a serious and legitimate dieting method, not taking into consideration of what their calories should be composed of.

JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 02:39:42 Reply

Your arguements didn't have any good scientific basis. The premise of the film is a one-sided and flimsy experiment carried out for the purpose of entertainment by someone with no relevant expertise or qualifications (whos probably taking backhanders from the McDonald corporation too) and proves nothing other than morons like you will believe anything someone tells them in a movie. I dont want to watch your shitty "documentary" for information when all the information I could want on the subject can be found in reputable journals and textbooks written by people who know what they're talking about.

Shauna
Shauna
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 02:40:24 Reply

I rather make my own cheeseburger

Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit


Signature made by Squidbit <3
Also known as MissAllanPoe
BOOP | Wonna Buy A Ghost? | DUCKSPIN

BBS Signature
JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 02:55:25 Reply

At 9/24/12 02:43 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 9/24/12 02:39 AM, JoHobo2 wrote: Your arguements didn't have any good scientific basis.
Neither does any expert's arguments. Its all just lies to get people to eat carb foods

why? who would gain anything from that?

JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 03:15:00 Reply

At 9/24/12 02:56 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 9/24/12 02:55 AM, JoHobo2 wrote:
At 9/24/12 02:43 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 9/24/12 02:39 AM, JoHobo2 wrote: Your arguements didn't have any good scientific basis.
Neither does any expert's arguments. Its all just lies to get people to eat carb foods
why? who would gain anything from that?
watch the documentary

Why? Imdb tells me what i need to know. For a start Tom Naughton is a comedian not a nutritionist, dietition or anything vaguely relevant to what he's talking about. His experiment lasted a month, he interviewed only doctors that shared his opinion and he's telling people what to eat. Sounds exactly like Supersize me. Face facts, it's one guy with no idea what he's talking telling similarly ignorant people what to think - the blind leading the blind.

Snake-Arsenic
Snake-Arsenic
  • Member since: Feb. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 03:31:12 Reply

At 9/24/12 02:19 AM, Saen wrote: I think you've mistaken your GI index reference. Suppose I have 300 calories worth of sugar and 300 calories worth of whole grain bread. Consuming 300 calories of bread not only requires a much greater amount of time to digest when compared to 300 calories of sugar, but also the time for the carbohydrates to be absorbed into the body is greater when compared to sugar. This explains why "good carbs" give you a sense of satisfy hunger while providing you with sustained energy while sugar-based carbs provide an almost instant source of energy that the body rapidly burns through.

I don't think so as the GI index is directly related to time taken for carbs to be converted to sugar. I only wanted to take this into account, as digestion time varies (and may only cause a delay) and high GI food raise the GI of lower GI foods during digestion if consumed at the same time.

I didn't include whole grain bread in that comparison. Let's compare that now a bit clearer, cane sugar has a GI of 64. White, wholemeal and wholewheat bread is about 70. 100% whole grain bread is about 51.

In order that would be: Other breads mentioned > Sugar > Whole grain bread. Coincidentally they are also in the GI scale ranges of high, medium and low respectively. Hope this clears up any confusion in that argument.

Also I know that complex carbs are being deemed "good carbs" as they have a low GI but that doesn't tell us about the food other than how quickly it is converted into sugar.

Yet people are taking this "calorie-counting" approach as a serious and legitimate dieting method, not taking into consideration of what their calories should be composed of.

That's because it's often being sold as a quick fix like other "magic diets" with no regard for the consumer. One example is that the average human metabolism is 1 calorie per minute while sitting down so diet and calorie counting alone might not work for a person who wants to lose weight and has a desk job, leaving these things along with hormones and other factors is how they sell books so someone benefits I guess.

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 04:10:51 Reply

At 9/24/12 03:16 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 9/24/12 03:15 AM, JoHobo2 wrote:
watch the documentary

Is it just me or are some people taking this doc. as gospel truth? As such it cannot be argued with.


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 05:27:34 Reply

Only available in the US.

Besides, how old is super size me? 8 years or something? I honestly don't think anyone cares about if an 8 year old movie is telling the truth or not,


It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 08:00:17 Reply

At 9/24/12 03:31 AM, Snake-Arsenic wrote:

In order that would be: Other breads mentioned > Sugar > Whole grain bread. Coincidentally they are also in the GI scale ranges of high, medium and low respectively. Hope this clears up any confusion in that argument.

Ah yes this does clear this up!

Also I know that complex carbs are being deemed "good carbs" as they have a low GI but that doesn't tell us about the food other than how quickly it is converted into sugar.

True, we can also categorize whole grains as good carbs because they're usually composed of a good amount of fiber, which requires energy to pass through the digestive system, a small amount of protein (~2g/slice), and may even be enriched with vitamins and minerals. These are a few things that usually come along ingesting good carbs, while sugar and sugary drinks are primarily composed of sugar.

It's easy to see how a slice of bread with some peanut butter is such an effective way of satisfying hunger in the morning. However, it's also clear that it doesn't take much to consume a hamburger and a soda with the result of raking up massive amounts unhealthy calories.


That's because it's often being sold as a quick fix like other "magic diets" with no regard for the consumer. One example is that the average human metabolism is 1 calorie per minute while sitting down so diet and calorie counting alone might not work for a person who wants to lose weight and has a desk job, leaving these things along with hormones and other factors is how they sell books so someone benefits I guess.

Anything that keeps us Americans from exercising I guess. Why the hell anyone would spend the time reading a weight loss book or watching a video (much less paying money for these things) rather than just getting off of his/her ass and doing the exercise is beyond me.

Kanon
Kanon
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 08:20:02 Reply

Brb guys, Gona chug a vat of bacon grease because op says some dipshit says it's good for you.


PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Member since: Aug. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 08:25:39 Reply

At 9/24/12 08:20 AM, Kanon wrote: Brb guys, Gona chug a vat of bacon grease because op says some dipshit says it's good for you.

Bacon is ALWAYS good for you.


It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Kanon
Kanon
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 08:38:35 Reply

At 9/24/12 08:25 AM, LiquidFire wrote:
At 9/24/12 08:20 AM, Kanon wrote: Brb guys, Gona chug a vat of bacon grease because op says some dipshit says it's good for you.
Bacon is ALWAYS good for you.

I agree I feel 1000% more energetic right now, I FEEL LIKE I CAN TAKE ON THE WHOLE WOR- HHHNNNNGGGGGGHHGHGGHGHGHGH


PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 08:44:06 Reply

I don't know what to believe anymore, my whole life is a lie.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 08:44:16 Reply

Having a stroke? Call the ambulance!


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 09:03:32 Reply

"We're sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States"

Ugh...

At 9/24/12 01:16 AM, JoHobo2 wrote: OP is basing his entire arguement on what he's learned from a single film that he has no reason to believe is any more reliable than supersize me. Both films are flawed in premise by assuming that a single mans metabolism will be representative of the population and that a month on any diet can adequately portray the longterm effects of living on a diet of only McDonalds food. While Spurlock may have embellished facts to make his arguement more one-sided he was right about a lot of things. Supersize portions were ridiculous, I think we can all agree unless anyone thinks that a 42-ounce cup of cola is a healthy accompaniment to a meal. Naughtons point that carbohydrates are bad for you in excess is a valid one but is nothing new and is frankly moot when you consider the carbohydrate content of the average mcdonalds meal. Justifying fats and cholesterol by pointing out that they are necessary in the body but then demonizing carbohydrates which are also vital, especially in metabolism is incredibly shortsighted too, a good diet needs to be balanced and cutting carbohydrates from it while loading on fats and cholesterol is as bad as the alternative.

Yeah this is pretty much what I was thinking.

I'm pretty sure McDonalds meals are also very rich in carbohydrates (buns, fries etc.) and it's bullshit to think that losing weight equals healthy eating. Furthermore, Tom Naughton, like Spurlock, is just a documentary maker and comedian so I don't see why this guy would be any more of a reliable source than Spurlock.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 09:20:03 Reply

I remember taking that movie apart on multiple levels in my 9th grade English class.
We were able to collectively prove it as false based on the lack of sources and the numerous attacks via emotional arguments.

Still doesn't make eating a McHugeGoddamnBaconBurger with a Mc60ozSoda every day healthy, delicious as it may be.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Writer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 11:59:21 Reply

So you are basing your argument based on one documentary... when the evidence against would include:

Medical, heart-health, and governmental authorities, such as the World Health Organization,[7] the American Dietetic Association,[8] the Dietitians of Canada,[8], the British Dietetic Association,[9] American Heart Association,[10] the British Heart Foundation,[11] the World Heart Federation,[12], the British National Health Service,[13] the United States Food and Drug Administration, [14] and the European Food Safety Authority[15] advise that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD).

Numerous systematic reviews have examined the relationship between saturated fat and cardiovascular disease:

Systematic review Relationships between cardiovascular disease and saturated fatty acids (SFA)
Hooper, 2011[16] Reducing saturated fat in diets reduced the risk of having a cardiovascular event by 14 percent (no reduction in mortality).

Mozaffarian, 2010[17] These findings provide evidence that consuming polyunsaturated fats(PUFA) in place of SFA reduces Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) events in RCTs. Replacing saturated fats with PUFAs as percentage of calories strongly reduced CHD mortality

Siri-Tarino, 2010[18] 5âEU"23 years of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.

Danaei, 2009[19] Low PUFA intake has an 1-5% Increased risk of ischemic heart disease: Low dietary PUFA (in replacement of SFA). age 30âEU"44 Increase in RR 1.05.

Mente, 2009[20] Single-nutrient RCTs have yet to evaluate whether reducing saturated fatty acid intake lowers the risk of CHD events. For polyunsaturated fatty acid intake, most of the RCTs have not been adequately powered and did not find a significant reduction in CHD outcomes.

Skeaff, 2009[21] Intake of SFA was not significantly associated with CHD mortality, with a RR of 1.14. Moreover, there was no significant association with CHD death. Intake of PUFA was strongly significantly associated with CHD mortality, with a RR of 1.25. The Health Professionals Follow-up Study and the EUROASPIRE study results mirrored those of total PUFA; intake of linoleic acid was significantly associated with CHD mortality.

Jakobsen, 2009[22] No overall association between saturated fat and coronary heart disease was found. Polyunsaturated fat was inversely associated with coronary heart disease among women and men, although not significantly. In conclusion, the present study suggests that coronary heart disease risk relates to both the quantity and the quality of dietary fats.

"The associations suggest that replacing saturated fatty acids with polyunsaturated fatty acids rather than monounsaturated fatty acids or carbohydrates prevents CHD over a wide range of intakes."
Van Horn, 2008[23] 25-35% fats but <7% SFA and TFA reduces risk

Chanu, 2003[24] significant in longer term
Hooper, 2001[25] Despite decades of effort and many thousands of people randomised, there is still only limited and inconclusive evidence of the effects of modification of total, saturated, monounsaturated, or polyunsaturated fats on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality.

Study conclusion: "There is a small but potentially important reduction in cardiovascular risk with reduction or modification of dietary fat intake, seen particularly in trials of longer duration."

Hu, 1999[26] Based on the data from the NursesâEUTM Health Study, we estimated that substitution of the fat from 1 ounce of nuts for equivalent energy from carbohydrate in an average diet was associated with a 30% reduction in CHD risk and the substitution of nut fat for saturated fat was associated with 45% reduction in risk.

Truswell, 1994[27] decrease SFA and cholesterol intake, partial replacement with PUFA: 6% reduced deaths, 13% reduced events

Really the overwhelming evidence says that saturated fat is NOT good for you, and certainly not in the levels found in fast food. Some people are genetically able to tolerate saturated fat better than others (eskimos are an excellent example), but in all cases they have lifestyles that require fast metabolisms to stay alive (such as the Arctic), but for the average person lots of saturated fat is a shortcut to a heart attack. All of the above articles agree with this.


Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 12:25:15 Reply

At 9/23/12 08:13 PM, Light wrote: I suppose the overwhelming majority of members in the medical community are wrong.

The OP is obviously more knowledgeable about this subject.

The Internet...

ClearlyConfused
ClearlyConfused
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 13:12:48 Reply

ROFL!!! you are just hearing about this?


BBS Signature
ClearlyConfused
ClearlyConfused
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 13:18:07 Reply

To all of you that keep saying you need Carbohydrates: YES, that is true, however; you don't want Complex Carbohydrates which are found in pastas and breads. Google how many Carbohydrates are in ANY fruit... you're welcome. You want simple carbs, not complex.


BBS Signature
ClearlyConfused
ClearlyConfused
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 13:21:16 Reply

At 9/24/12 11:59 AM, Sentio wrote: So you are basing your argument based on one documentary... when the evidence against would include:

If I were to give you a shit load of money to say something, would you? You can't trust everything the government or any other body produce.

Look at history: Humans have been living off of high fat diets for ages; wheat products are actually fairly new to the human body in comparison to meat.


BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Writer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit 2012-09-24 13:31:14 Reply

At 9/24/12 01:21 PM, ClearlyConfused wrote:
At 9/24/12 11:59 AM, Sentio wrote: So you are basing your argument based on one documentary... when the evidence against would include:
If I were to give you a shit load of money to say something, would you? You can't trust everything the government or any other body produce.

Look at history: Humans have been living off of high fat diets for ages; wheat products are actually fairly new to the human body in comparison to meat.

And the average life expectancy throughout history...? Not enough time to develop long term heart disease, and thus not exactly a convincing argument.


Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature