New Topic Respond to this Topic
slipstrike
slipstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 01:35 PM Reply

Stop trying to make me feel bad for buying cheap food. Not everyone can afford $100 carrots from Peru.

OwnageGiy221
OwnageGiy221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 9/24/12 01:31 PM, Sentio wrote:
And the average life expectancy throughout history...? Not enough time to develop long term heart disease, and thus not exactly a convincing argument.

Lack of evidence isn't evidence. Nice try, though.

Also, lol at people saying Tom is wrong without actually hearing what he has to say. He has several scientists and PhDs come onto the show and talk about why a high fat diet is good for you. But hey, this is the Internet, I don't expect anybody to have an attention span that can last though an hour long movie.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 9/24/12 02:25 PM, OwnageGiy221 wrote:
At 9/24/12 01:31 PM, Sentio wrote:
And the average life expectancy throughout history...? Not enough time to develop long term heart disease, and thus not exactly a convincing argument.
Lack of evidence isn't evidence. Nice try, though.

So what about the numerous articles I cited above? Are they not evidence either? I'm simply stating that you can't say that eating a high fat diet through history proves the health benefits. Most of those people would have died before the age of 40 due to numerous other causes. Most heart disease kicks in after the age of 50. Saturated fat causes heart disease. All of those articles say so. All have been peer reviewed by scientists.

Also, lol at people saying Tom is wrong without actually hearing what he has to say. He has several scientists and PhDs come onto the show and talk about why a high fat diet is good for you. But hey, this is the Internet, I don't expect anybody to have an attention span that can last though an hour long movie.

Some people always disagree, but in this case the vast majority think that saturated fat is a bad thing. I'm willing to go with the majority. There are scientists out there don't agree with evolution etc etc. That doesn't make them right, nor does it make me believe them just because they are scientists. I'm a scientist myself (Biology masters degree and did research science when I left university), and I am going with the evidence that I posted that clearly shows the damage saturated fat does.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 9/24/12 02:25 PM, OwnageGiy221 wrote: Also, lol at people saying Tom is wrong without actually hearing what he has to say. He has several scientists and PhDs come onto the show and talk about why a high fat diet is good for you.

When it comes to food and healthy eating scientists and dietitians are quite divided, so it's not that hard to find a few "experts" who will agree with your opinion. Also, Spurlock has plenty of scientists and PhDs backing him up, so why don't you believe him then?

In any case, if you want to eat lots of high fat foods and junk food because this guy says it's healthy then that's your decision, but I don't really buy it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Yeah I know. I made the same topic like a year ago. Congrats.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 08:27 PM Reply

This just in: propaganda is full of half-truths and lies. More at 11.

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 08:44 PM Reply

Oh boo, everyone has ideas about what the one secret thing in our diet is that's causing all of our health problems. Carbs aren't that bad, especially if you eat ones that are higher in nutritional quality, like whole grains. Just try to eat a lot of plants and you'll be fine.

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

You all realise this thread turned into a pointless "NO U" contest somewhere on the last page, right?

OK, just checking. Carry on.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

Saen said it already. Exercise plus a diet of whole grains and fruits and veggies. Go ahead and pretend eating oatmeal is gonna give someone diabetes but saturated fat is super healthy. urrdumb.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 10:21 PM Reply

The documentary just shows as long as you have moderate exersize and know proper portion control you will be fine. Most people are overweight moreso because of the amount of food they eat over the kinds of food.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 9/23/12 08:16 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote:

Give me the direct quote where I said I was smarter than medical scientists.

It seemed implied.

I don't need to you to make any direct statements for me to infer certain beliefs that you hold.

You're probably going to have a hard time doing that, because said quote doesn't exist.

Oh no!

If you'd actually watch the documentary, you'd see that Tom is actually right.

The overwhelming majority of peer-reviewed scientific studies show that saturated fat is not very good for the human body.

The overwhelming majority of organizations around the world that intend to promote good health, such as the American Heart Association, American Medical Association, and the World Health Organization state that saturated fat is not very good for the human body.....

....and you tell me to ignore all of the evidence presented by these organizations and copious peer-reviewed studies and believe what some guy in a documentary claims?

OK.

At 9/23/12 08:39 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/23/12 08:13 PM, Light wrote: I suppose the overwhelming majority of members in the medical community are wrong.

The OP is obviously more knowledgeable about this subject.
OP said nothing of the sort.

It seems like he believes it to be true, though.

I have watched Fat Head and the science in it certainly holds up better than the science in Super Size Me. Super Size Me wasn't against McDonald's, it had an agenda.

But the science of Fat Head doesn't hold up well at all.

Even if Super Size Me was wrong, saturated fat is still detrimental to physical health if consumed in abundant amounts.

Now Fat Head had an agenda, to show that Super Size Me was lying. I hate documentaries that don't look to give information, show both sides of the story, or when they do give information leave out facts that could harm them or twist information to fit their agenda.

That's understandable.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
keyword
keyword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 05:46 AM Reply

didnt that guy who did supersize me refuse to put out his receipts and chart his intake?

i also remember something about him having to supersize every meal to make the intake he stated in the film/

this is NOT a link

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 05:48 AM Reply

At 9/25/12 05:46 AM, keyword wrote: didnt that guy who did supersize me refuse to put out his receipts and chart his intake?

i also remember something about him having to supersize every meal to make the intake he stated in the film/

I think he said he was obligated to accept any offers by McDonald's employees to supersize his meal, but he never asked to have them supersized.

That's how I remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
keyword
keyword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 05:56 AM Reply

At 9/25/12 05:48 AM, Light wrote:
I think he said he was obligated to accept any offers by McDonald's employees to supersize his meal, but he never asked to have them supersized.

That's how I remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

that sounds about right.
i also remember something about how on certain days his intake was way more than even three supersized meals where, like crazy exagerations. im not sure where i saw it and i may have misremembered so dont quote me on that.

i formed my opinion on that guy when he was taunting mcdonalds employee's. ive worked fast food and its shit work already without some overly-liberal down with the corporations buttgay giving me shit and blocking traffic over french fries.

this is NOT a link

BBS Signature
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 12:04 PM Reply

Thanks for posting that, OP, I'm really enjoying the documentary.

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 07:15 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 09:59 PM, OwnageGiy221 wrote: Also, this clip proves that Spurlock is a fucking lying

spurlock had 2 large milkshake add 1760 calories and he is not fucking lying

if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Turns out SuperSizeMe is bullshit Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 08:03 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Turns out, a high fat diet is actually the best one you can possibly have, and that carbohydrates are what cause diabetes and heart disease.

Yep. I think I made a post about this movie here on NG before..good watch.