00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forum Moderation For Dummies

6,717 Views | 86 Replies

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 13:24:46

lesson: Don't take shit from anyone. You have a banhammer feel free to bash some e-skulls with it!

It ain't no Ralph tho.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 13:24:55

At 8/23/12 01:15 PM, egg82 wrote: semantics.

Semantics.

Politics involves the skill of governing a country. Administration? Government? They are related to eachother.

I don't want to argue with you anymore.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 13:40:43

At 8/23/12 01:33 PM, Travis wrote: More emphasis on getting flame wars early. I.e. not letting a flame war reach 5 pages before locking it.

agree, but can we tell the difference between a debate and a flame war? sometimes it's pretty grey.

More activity, I feel as though a lot of moderators aren't ever here. I understand we have lives but less than 5 posts in three months without any reason given should warrant getting that mod replaced.

you'd have to define "without any reason given", but I agree.
I think "mod replacement" would be good, as well. I never see and fresh blood at the bottom of the page :(

Get rid of sad try hard trolls. Whenever they make a post it's to stroke their own or groups cock and just cause problems. I.e. go case by case, some users are constantly just posting trash and they don't need to be here.

Agreed. Sometimes a website is just better off without some people, though I think it should be thought about before labeling someone as a "die-hard troll" - usually they're easy to spot, but sometimes you get that grey area.

It's always the grey areas that get you. If it was all black and white, there wouldn't even be a need for moderators and administrators because programmers could just write a script to take care of all of that.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 14:02:51

At 8/23/12 02:01 PM, Bees wrote: you are trying way too hard

say that too my face

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 14:08:06

At 8/23/12 02:02 PM, doctor wrote:
At 8/23/12 02:01 PM, Bees wrote: you are trying way too hard
say that too my face

Skaren, you shouldn't have given up your 'Doctor' username.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 14:11:11

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 14:46:44

At 8/23/12 02:43 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: Allow pony threads, and just ban people who say shit about it to start flame wars, instead of having one clusterfuck thread. You allow multiple threads of other things, the Breaking Bad thread is in General.
Punish HARD. People will fear you like they did Poozy and bigbadron.

i'd ban all pony/brony threads.

just sayin'.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 14:56:15

At 8/23/12 02:46 PM, bigbadron wrote:
At 8/23/12 02:43 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: Allow pony threads, and just ban people who say shit about it to start flame wars, instead of having one clusterfuck thread. You allow multiple threads of other things, the Breaking Bad thread is in General.
Punish HARD. People will fear you like they did Poozy and bigbadron.

just sayin'.

your a hero BigBadRon and probably the only savior to bring the forum back to its former glory. get rid of those threads and Users ASAP once you regain power.

plus I miss your ban messages!

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 15:14:17

At 8/23/12 02:59 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 8/23/12 02:46 PM, bigbadron wrote:

just sayin'.
I wish the current mods would.

then we should start a movement to get BBR to get mod abilities again he could clean up the BBS within a month even quicker if he coordinated with Poozy and Purgatory.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 15:23:23

At 8/23/12 03:00 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: Yup. I feel there are CERTAIN users who seem to get away with a lot more than others. Could just be luck of the mod not seeing it.

thats a load of shit. its just mods not seeing it or they're own sense of how rules are broke

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 15:27:52

At 8/23/12 02:46 PM, bigbadron wrote: i'd ban all pony/brony threads.

just sayin'.

but I like My Little pony. I wish that they would ban people that are mean fro no reason like yuo.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 15:37:25

At 8/23/12 03:31 PM, Natick wrote: That's an obvious one. I have nearly been banned for mentioning Poozy's name in a christmas thread before. I'm still waiting for someone to point out in the rules where it says, "Mentioning the name of a mod in a post will result in a 3 day ban."

his real name or his username?

because I know both.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 15:41:59

At 8/23/12 03:39 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: It falls under giving out personal information without permission. An older iteration of the rule said that it doesn't matter if it's public even on a whois, if it's not shown on NG by the author, it's personal.

lol I once published all of the Admins personal information on my news post once. it mysteriously got deleted though...

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 15:47:43

At 8/23/12 03:45 PM, Natick wrote:
At 8/23/12 03:37 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: his real name or his username?

because I know both.
His username of course.

fine I'll say his name:

POOZY,POOZY,POOZY!

Forum Moderation For Dummies

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 16:06:07

All other things aside (yes, I was dumb enough to actually read 5 pages of pseudo-intellectual whining), the most important thing to remember is not to take this shit too seriously. It's a website, for fuck's sake. And it's full of teenagers who are just looking for reasons to hate authority figures it seems. No matter how you do things here, there'll always be someone willing to baww at you for it. Comes with the territory, I'm afraid.

Given that, I'd say just be yourself. Fuck the haters; you want something gone, you go get rid of it. Wade gave you those buttons because he trusted you to be at least a half-reasonable judge of things like this, and since the BBS is of absolutely no real-world importance whatsoever, half-decent is all it needs to be. So what if you act a bit hypocritical, or forget that 6 months ago you locked a thread similar to one you're now participating in? That's what separates people from machines, and mods who try to act like machines on here (you know who you are!) are easily the worst of the lot.

At 8/23/12 03:57 PM, 24901miles wrote: The only thing you ever need to say regarding Poozy's modship is that he is not fit to be one. Period.

Currently waiting for Poozy to post your ban history, for some hilarious public humiliation.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 16:13:23

At 8/23/12 04:07 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 8/23/12 04:06 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Currently waiting for Poozy to post your ban history, for some hilarious public humiliation.
You really think that matters? I've seen my ban history, thank you.

wait you can see your ban history?!

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 16:28:42

My current attitude towards moderating is basically to let any minor shit slide and only punish the major offences. I haven't banned anybody for a while.

There's no point complaining that the content of these forums has degraded because of this lax attitude to modding; it's not our responsibility to make sure that every thread is scintillating reading. Furthermore, on a website where the main demographic is 13 year-olds and young teenagers, it's futile to hold everybody up to unrealistic standards. If you want a good quality forum then the onus is on you to lead by example. It's no good complaining about the mods every time you discover something you dislike, because we really don't have any power to change the general vibe, we just try to make sure people don't break the rules.

The community for me has always been an important part of this website, but in all honesty the forums are a very small and insignificant part of Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 18:57:29

At 8/23/12 03:27 PM, Nghelper-1 wrote: but I like My Little pony. I wish that they would ban people that are mean fro no reason like yuo.

i have a logical reason. it's not because i don't like MLP or bronies, because i do not like them. i'm not going to ban talk about ponies and shit for that reason. it's dumb and childish. i would lock down those threads because all they would do is incite a flame war. i shouldn't have to watch over them and make sure everyone is playing nice nice in a thread that is just going to cause a lot of shit, and either not watch the rest of the bbs, or try to do both.

on top of that, because i am not interested in that topic, i am less likely to open that thread. that is why when i was a mod, i didn't moderate most political threads. i didn't have interest in them, they weren't my place. there were other mods who were into that, i'd let them do it.

tl;dr version: would you rather have a mod with little interest in a topic police a thread that is almost nothing but flamebait, and neglect the rest of the bbs while doing it, or a mod who will strike something down before it gets way outta hand?

i don't know, that's just my logic on it.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 18:58:28

I just wanted to address the people that keep mocking moderators for 'being bad at what they do', EyeLovePoozy in particular. A person can easily be called a dick if they act like one, that I do not have a problem with at all. The way a person acts as and the way their personality is, and the way they do their moderation duties are not the same. I honestly don't care if someone is the biggest asshole in the world, if he does his job as a forum moderator like he is supposed to, he has my respect.

Everyone seems to want to judge moderators personally despite never having had the opportunity to speak to them. All that most of you see out of Poozy are his locking posts that, while sometimes disrespectful, are only disrespectful to people that have obviously broken a rule. When someone is being an idiot, then they need to be informed of it, and given a time out.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 18:59:13

At 8/23/12 04:06 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: All other things aside (yes, I was dumb enough to actually read 5 pages of pseudo-intellectual whining), the most important thing to remember is not to take this shit too seriously. It's a website, for fuck's sake. And it's full of teenagers who are just looking for reasons to hate authority figures it seems. No matter how you do things here, there'll always be someone willing to baww at you for it. Comes with the territory, I'm afraid.

that bit's obvious. The internet is chock-full of teens and pre-teens for various reasons.
Don't pretend there aren't a few pre-teens on NG just because the rules say you have to be above (13, I think?) to register.

when you were 13, did you go around thinking "Love ALL the authorities!"
If you did, you're one in a million.

Again, it's common sense that there's going to be people who hate the system.

I stuck a meme in for funsies.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 19:21:10

At 8/23/12 06:58 PM, Sectus wrote: Everyone seems to want to judge moderators personally despite never having had the opportunity to speak to them.

yeah, i've read all of the posts here (some have some really good advice) and there's a lot of flaming against Poozy in particular.

I'm indifferent on him, to be honest.

Yeah, he can be a bit of an ass. I'll get that out of the way.
Has anyone actually tried shooting him a PM asking "how's life" without being an ass or an idiot? Or any mod for that matter?

The problem is the gap I was talking about earlier. I'm still not quite sure what it is (probably a combination of things) but users don't tend to think of moderators as actual human beings with feelings and lives. Not here, anyway.

I'm not saying "flood a mod's inbox with 'how are you?' messages", i'm saying "put yourself into the moderation shoes for a second"

Side-thought:
I've been thinking about this for a while, but I kinda want to either make or see a "life of a moderator/administrator" video on youtube. I don't care what it's on, but I think it would be helpful if users can understand what it's like to be a mod or even just to see that there is, in fact, a real human being behind a moderator's username.
You would be surprised at the shit I have to deal with when administrating a game server. A game server hosting one game and serving handful of users at once. Thinking about an entire website with a large userbase... Yikes.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 19:25:16

At 8/22/12 09:40 PM, daethdrain wrote: They should learn what a spam thread is. They get them confused with threads made for having fun.

I have to agree with this, there have been a few occasions where I'll post in a thread meant for fun which would get locked and deleted (resulting in a ban for everyone who posted) while you come across a spam thread with say 7-9 pages of butthurt users, that would be let go for roughly days to weeks with little to no bans or the thread itself getting locked.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 19:42:23

At 8/23/12 07:21 PM, egg82 wrote: You would be surprised at the shit I have to deal with when administrating a game server. A game server hosting one game and serving handful of users at once. Thinking about an entire website with a large userbase... Yikes.

I was an administrator on a Team Fortress 2 achievement server for a while way back when. Most of it was running around watching people get achievements, and having twelve year olds that want admin following me around when I used powerplay.

On the main subject, yes, I agree that it may help to have a few of the mods share a bit more about themselves with the normal users. Moderators are far too dehumanized on this website, and need to start hanging around the rest of the members. As I said in another post, moderators are just regular newgrounds fans that have been selected for their maturity to help keep the website fun and functioning well. We are all normal people, don't let our aura color fool you on that.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 19:52:55

At 8/23/12 07:42 PM, Sectus wrote: I was an administrator on a Team Fortress 2 achievement server for a while way back when. Most of it was running around watching people get achievements, and having twelve year olds that want admin following me around when I used powerplay.

Yeah, I use a vanish mod or a disguise mod when I can, but you still have to watch all of the players to make sure they're not doing anything they're not supposed to be. Most of the time, they will be. It just ends up sucking up all of your time, so you don't really get to do anything fun or interact with people in a normal way.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 19:57:12

With everything I've said, it must also be said that some empathy must be had on the moderator's part, because it's vital for every system to have leniency, and valid exceptions must be made, so the moderators don't feel constrained by very narrow guidelines, and end up using their power excessively and in an unfair manner.

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 22:12:11

At 8/23/12 09:12 PM, Gambit wrote: Re-mod BBR ffs.

BBR for mod 2012

Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-24 13:20:41

It becomes hard to discern what is a spam thread and what is a fun thread, since they seem to be very similar. I have been banned for posting in spam threads from time to time, but others go on for seven pages when they're again, very similar to one another.

However my only suggestion would be for the General Forum to be wiped out and we start from fresh. Oh and one of you should remake that Post Videos Here thread. Seeing as how most of the videos in that thread are non-existent now and we could really use an update to that.

I know this is a very loose forum, and it is nice, but the Forum Moderators are far too lenient when dealing out the punishment now and again. However all this is pointless for the General forum because simply put... IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER!