New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

When forum moderators are strict, users complain that they abuse their authority. When forum moderators are lenient, users complain that they no longer give a crap about the community.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the "[insert topic] For Dummies" books. Imagine that someone has asked you to contribute to a "Forum Moderation For Dummies" book. What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?

This is only meant as a bit of fun but I still think it might be interesting to hear your opinions on the subject.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

How?

Start by taking care of spammers, trolls, and people who don't contribute to anything but their own self-misery.

A.K.A. a LOT of people in the General.

But yes, I did notice you guys are doing a pretty lame job as of late. Threads like "I saw a girl die" or whatever reaching 7 pages? WTF?

Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:38 PM Reply

You forgot one:
When forum moderators think they are being witty funny and clever, users don't think they are any of those.

...for dummies

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:38 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:37 PM, Gambit wrote: But yes, I did notice you guys are doing a pretty lame job as of late. Threads like "I saw a girl die" or whatever reaching 7 pages? WTF?

The second half of that thread was amazing.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Oops this was meant to be fun... well never mind my last post. lulz let's have fun den

I THINK MODS SHOULD WEAR CLASSY HATS

Panda
Panda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Be Dean.

But naw really, be Dean with a little bit of Poozy mixed in.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:41 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:38 PM, EJR wrote:
At 8/22/12 09:37 PM, Gambit wrote: But yes, I did notice you guys are doing a pretty lame job as of late. Threads like "I saw a girl die" or whatever reaching 7 pages? WTF?
The second half of that thread was amazing.

Yes I must say rubbing Natick's face into dirt was pretty excellent. Major pwn and such.

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:41 PM Reply

The main problem is the mods let people who are trying too hard to be funny run around and spam up the forums. There are a few users, who will remain nameless, that are try hard trolls and constantly derail threads.

I mean spam-ish posting should be allowed when it's actually funny.

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:40 PM, daethdrain wrote: They should learn what a spam thread is. They get them confused with threads made for having fun.

Fun is okay, just not when it's boring as fuck to read through 3+ pages of 1 sentence posts. If I'm not reading anything insightful, not nodding my head in approval of power users, or not even giggling while inebriated, the thread fails to be fun for the majority of the community save for a few users.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:44 PM Reply

I agree with Gambit. Mods haven't been getting much action lately/doing a whole lot.

I'd say be in between strict and lenient.
Be stern, but fair.

like sternman

Forum Moderation For Dummies

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:45 PM Reply

The perfect advice to a moderator is to not give a shit about how people see them and just ban people as they feel like. It works with some.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
MiloBased
MiloBased
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:48 PM Reply

Dean's a pretty cool mod.

-Officially Based-I saw a girl die.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:41 PM, Zachary wrote:
There are a few users, who will remain nameless, that are try hard trolls and constantly derail threads.

Sorry Techno.

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:41 PM, Zachary wrote: The main problem is the mods let people who are trying too hard to be funny run around and spam up the forums. There are a few users, who will remain nameless, that are try hard trolls and constantly derail threads.

I mean spam-ish posting should be allowed when it's actually funny.

And obvious post count boosting should result in a very long ban (DrStongbad).

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: When forum moderators are strict, users complain that they abuse their authority. When forum moderators are lenient, users complain that they no longer give a crap about the community.

Bullshit. The latter is not how you see it, users are complaining moderators are not here. As in, we have not even seen them post. The former has always been true because some moderators are authoritarians. In the past, many moderators would ban users just for posting in a topic of which the moderator decided to be spam. Even when it reached multiple pages. You're probably too new of a member to remember that.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the "[insert topic] For Dummies" books. Imagine that someone has asked you to contribute to a "Forum Moderation For Dummies" book. What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?

Post. Don't use stealth mode. Be active. Imagine if one day the president stopped giving press conferences, stopped appearing in public, stopped speaking with reporters, and hid away in a secret room within the white house.

Many people forget the President's job is also "chief citizen." So, do what moderators do best, but be witty about it. Who do people prefer more--a laid back comedian, or the overprotective father?

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?

No matter what you do, over-privileged, self-centred 12 year old children (and those who are mentally 12) will bitch about you. So do what you damn well please.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

Having a keen eye for certain topics that would start a flame war as soon as the first post is made. I've noticed that there are different ways a thread can get locked, most of them tend to drag on, partly due to the hilarity of the thread itself, and eventually gets locked either when the OP requests it, or the idiots just run out of insults to call each other, among others. The most common of those happens to be when stupid anime topics is being discussed in the General Forum, and then all of the sudden, everyone seems to crawl out of the woodwork and do their thing, along with those who either forgot or don't care for the search bar when making a topic, which is rather common in the Video Games forum.

Being a mod is also occasionally making an unpopular decision from time to time, as with any position of power. Of course, the people who complain about that is either the trolls or the total newbies who forgot to read the rules.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:51 PM, Razz wrote:
At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: When forum moderators are strict, users complain that they abuse their authority. When forum moderators are lenient, users complain that they no longer give a crap about the community.
Bullshit. The latter is not how you see it, users are complaining moderators are not here. As in, we have not even seen them post.

Yes. More interaction with the users is what the current mods need to be working on I believe. Mainly whenever I see a moderator of the forums post it is only to lock a thread. Of course, there are quite a few exceptions of mods who contribute to threads and interact with users too.

Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:56 PM Reply

rule the forum with an iron fist

At 8/22/12 09:48 PM, MiloBased wrote: Dean's a pretty cool mod.

no he's not

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:52 PM, pirateplatypus wrote:
At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?
No matter what you do, over-privileged, self-centred 12 year old children (and those who are mentally 12) will bitch about you. So do what you damn well please.

Sep. 27, 2011? I'm sure you've seen many moderators come and go, and have personally experienced the broad end of the stick several times. You are very experienced in the subject of this topic and we could all learn a thing or two from you. Please, share more insight.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:04 PM Reply

The "perfect forum mod" would drop a ban nuke on the forums. That way the people complaining we're too lenient would stop complaining...

And the people complaining we're too harsh wouldn't complain anymore... cause they'd be banned, hur hur.

Then sit back and watch all hell break loose when the bans expire.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:07 PM Reply

we need more mods like back-from-purgatory

MiloBased
MiloBased
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 10:07 PM, Yert wrote: we need more mods like back-from-purgatory

no we dont

BBS Signature
Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 10:08 PM, MiloBased wrote:
At 8/22/12 10:07 PM, Yert wrote: we need more mods like back-from-purgatory
no we dont

yea we do because BFP is cool unlike most mods

Panda
Panda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

Alright serious post. Even though I haven't posted much, I've still lurked the forums enough to see how the moderation around the BBS has changed.

Right now, the mods are doing an okay job; I don't really have any complaints with them. Sometimes I find myself wondering why a certain thread hasn't been locked but that's about as bad as it gets.

Sure the mods have been a little more lenient (and that itself might be a side-effect of the mods being less active), but when it comes to the extreme rule breaking topics they're on top of it. Even though they might not post a lot, as long as they're doing their job then I'm all good with them.

Mods come and go, and so do moderation styles and habits. My best suggestion would to just moderate the forums, who cares if you're not posting a lot, or if you're not active; as long as you keep the BBS clean and do what you're supposed to do, it's all good.

MiloBased
MiloBased
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:18 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 10:10 PM, Yert wrote:
yea we do because BFP is cool unlike most mods

What makes a cool mod for you, yert?

At 8/22/12 10:13 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote: just make me mod for a single day, and i'll delete all the non-cool users

No

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:21 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 10:04 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: The "perfect forum mod" would drop a ban nuke on the forums. That way the people complaining we're too lenient would stop complaining...

And the people complaining we're too harsh wouldn't complain anymore... cause they'd be banned, hur hur.

Best idea I've seen all thread.

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:48 PM, daethdrain wrote: U gotta think about the rest of the users. Not everyone has ur tastes u kno.

Therein lies why users are modded after being here for several years, having read thousands upon thousands of threads. They know exactly what works, what will eventually work, and what flat out doesn't work. No mod is going to let a thread draw out for more pages if its discussion does not allow for the whole community to participate - most "fun" threads are locked because they only cater to a small audience, on top of its spammy nature.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 09:51 PM, Razz wrote: Post. Don't use stealth mode. Be active. Imagine if one day the president stopped giving press conferences, stopped appearing in public, stopped speaking with reporters, and hid away in a secret room within the white house.

Quick, name five of Obama's body guards!!!

At 8/22/12 10:13 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote: just make me mod for a single day, and i'll delete all the non-cool users

Mods can't delete users... unfortunately :P

EASTBEAST
EASTBEAST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:30 PM Reply

Specifically in the collaboration forums, Mods should immediately kill off threads started by people that don't have high enough battling average, and those who have no experience and unrealistic expectations. I haven't seen a thread locked there for quite some time

Writing songs for cigarettes and credit would be cool.

BBS Signature