• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 22:33:25 Reply

At 8/22/12 10:26 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote:
At 8/22/12 10:18 PM, MiloBased wrote: No
what would you do if you were mod for a day, milo

probably just sit there and wonder who the fuck made this decision.
I really dont want to be a mod though.

-Officially Based-I saw a girl die.

BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 22:35:37 Reply

At 8/22/12 09:40 PM, daethdrain wrote: They should learn what a spam thread is. They get them confused with threads made for having fun.

I don't think it's that hard to figure out what spam threads are. Also, the real problem is that a lot of people here (past and present) love to post terrible unfunny threads in the name of "having fun" and cry too hard when that fun gets ruined. Sure certain mods have shown some pretty big lapses in judgment over the years, but nobody's perfect, and on average, they're right more than they're wrong.

Also, the perfect BBS mod, in my opinion, should be about 65% strict and 35% lenient. At the present time, particular attention should be paid towards people that derail threads (or attempt to do so) by posting unfunny pictures (Spider-Man pics or otherwise), memes or one-liners.

BrokenPaw
BrokenPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Art Lover
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 22:54:48 Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: This is only meant as a bit of fun but I still think it might be interesting to hear your opinions on the subject.

They must be intoxicated while performing their duties, no exceptions.

NONE
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 22:57:26 Reply

Delete the BBS

http://mumbo.newgrounds.com/
I'm a bisexual fgt. send me dick pics pls.

BBS Signature
Panda
Panda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:06:29 Reply

At 8/22/12 10:35 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I don't think it's that hard to figure out what spam threads are. Also, the real problem is that a lot of people here (past and present) love to post terrible unfunny threads in the name of "having fun" and cry too hard when that fun gets ruined. Sure certain mods have shown some pretty big lapses in judgment over the years, but nobody's perfect, and on average, they're right more than they're wrong.

I completely agree with this. Especially the part about the terrible, unfunny threads. The amount of times they're right is more than enough to make up for the few times they're wrong, and even when they're wrong it's really not that bad.

Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Writer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:11:37 Reply

I believe I stated this is another topic, but I will post it here as well. I personally feel that moderators do indeed need to start interacting with users more, and posting in threads to join in on the discussion. Moderators need to remember that they are still just users, all they have is a golden aura and a few extra knobs and blinkers.

I don't mind if moderators do not join in every single discussion, but please remember that you are just a volunteer. You are still an NG fan, and you don't need to hide from users that don't have moderation powers.

YenMuffin
YenMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:21:32 Reply

Mods are in fact people and people can range from fun to asshole. It's because of this that mods should call dibs on threads so no other mods come fucking things up in their territory.
Every mod needs to have had at least one drink before doing any modding and need to enforce Classy Thursdays which would make all the users wear formal attire when posting.

Sounds fun to me.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure sucks ass.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:24:30 Reply

Mods like Eyelovepoozy......could use some reconsideration. Everybody else should just be more active.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:26:39 Reply

Don't be an arse.

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:35:34 Reply

At 8/22/12 11:24 PM, II2none wrote: Mods like Eyelovepoozy......could use some reconsideration. Everybody else should just be more active.

Yeah, I don't know how he's kept his mod status for so long. He just bans everyone he doesn't like, not what the rules don't like.

People complain about Back-From-Purgatory being too strict but at least he/she enforces the rules. Back-From-Purgatory doesn't go around locking threads just because they don't like the people there.

"this thread is not a chat room"
Isn't every thread in Clubs & Crews more or less a chat thread for finding people with other interests?
Poozy just locked it because he thought furries were weird. I'm not even a furry but I think it's BS to lock a thread just because you disagree with the people there.
Mods, take that into consideration.
Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:40:05 Reply

At 8/22/12 11:35 PM, T3XT wrote: January 7, 2012

No, you still don't understand how things work here.
He locked it because it didn't pertain to being "furry" related. It just spun out of control and everyone posted whatever they wanted. There needs to be regulation and understanding, you obviously lack the latter.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:43:03 Reply

You can be active, but don't be an authoritarian. That was the main problem with Mods back in the day a la FunkBRS. He just spouted a penis measuring contest wherever the hell he went (HERP DERP IMA MOD RESPECT EVERYTHING I SAY AS RIGHT).

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:59:26 Reply

Ignore suggestions. Moderate independently. Annul the opinions of others and focus on actions, not words.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 00:08:15 Reply

I don't think it should be talked about or questioned.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 00:40:34 Reply

the problem is we don't have enough committed mods a lot of the mods on the moderator list are barely active or none 6 Months+ barely active. and the ones who are are doing all the work. we need a moderation shift. and get new committed moderators who are currently active for the BBS. because it shouldn't take a mod 45 minutes to a hour to lock a thread breaking the rules because letting a thread like "I saw a gril die" reaching seven pages is unacceptable.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 01:09:53 Reply

Don't let regular users with high amount of posts feel like they own the forums when they do something they shouldn't do, which they KNOW they shouldn't do.

Show them whos boss Dean.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 01:26:38 Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: ...What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?...

Someone with a since of humor, and isn't always taking everything serious as fuck.

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 06:49:20 Reply

Please Dean. The forums are turning to shit because you can't expect 12-15 year olds to handle themselves well.

We need nazi modding like in the days of bbr.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 06:56:00 Reply

At 8/23/12 06:49 AM, DickBuns wrote: We need nazi modding like in the days of bbr.

yeah bring back BBR into the mod fold you will see shit pick up quickly.

Steff
Steff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 07:24:08 Reply

Well, for one, be active. There aren't many active forum moderators, meaning spammers can do what ever they want for the +1 or just pissing people off, and nobody with stop them. When there is a mod online I do PM with the links and such, but it's not always like this.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 07:58:15 Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: When forum moderators are strict, users complain that they abuse their authority. When forum moderators are lenient, users complain that they no longer give a crap about the community.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the "[insert topic] For Dummies" books. Imagine that someone has asked you to contribute to a "Forum Moderation For Dummies" book. What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?

This is only meant as a bit of fun but I still think it might be interesting to hear your opinions on the subject.

This is a brilliant idea for a serious thread in a lot of ways.

My opinion:
I've never been a moderator, so I honestly can't speak from experience in that position. I have, however, been an administrator for games that attract 12-year-olds, so i'll speak from there.

1. Walk softly, but carry a big stick. Basically this means be fun and nice, but when it comes down to it don't be afraid to use the ban-hammer.
2. Post! I never see mods these days post in anything. I may just be missing them, but I think you should have fun, too. The main reason you should do this is because you're part of the community, not above it.
3. Think like a user. What do users want? (which is what this thread's about, anyway) What would you want from moderators if you were a user? This is the most difficult bit.
4. Joke around and have fun in general. Again, you're part of the community, not above it.
5. Be persistent. There's not a lot of "instant gratification" when doing all of this, and it's tough. In the long run it'll serve well.
6. This isn't a huge issue, but sometimes a thread will be locked and there's no post as to explaining why or who locked it. Posting before locking would be good in several ways. You aren't the batman, you don't need to hide.

Yeah, you'll get a lot of people kissing your ass or asking for shit because you're a mod/admin (anyone seen the aftermath of Tom's posts?) If you ignore it and are active enough, it won't be such a special occurrence that you're there and people will stop doing that (save for new users and a special few)

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 07:58:49 Reply

We all can't have the perfect relationship like you do with me, Dean.

You know, my piloting skills combined with your gunner skills. Unfortunately, not everything can be as simple as a 10mil war machine tearing everyone's asshole asunder~

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:00:40 Reply

we need a hero

we need Kid.newgrounds.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:21:52 Reply

Why is it every time I give advice to mods I come out sounding bossy? -.-'

I generalized my last post, obviously there's mods who post, etc., etc. but the main point is that there's not a lot of anything I said going on, currently.
If you've noticed, a lot of my suggestions are fixed by simply posting. Yeah, it really is that important.

To the users:
I don't know about the mods and admins here, but I really hate using the ban-hammer. It's a pain in the ass in so many ways, and i'd rather be interacting with users as if I were just a user myself.
The problem is it makes it hard to do what I want to do (and what would be good for everyone) when i'm spending all my time banning people and looking out for cheaters.

obviously my views are skewed, as I have my favorite mods and staff like everyone else (or just people I like in general) - but I think I did a fair job of explaining in an unbiased manner for waking up at 5:30 without coffee.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
FIGMENTUM
FIGMENTUM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:33:13 Reply

Activity's always been the big one. Maintaining some kind of presence at least keeps appearances up. Considering the vast array of preferences and senses of humour the community possesses, no one mod could ever please everyone... a 'perfect mod' is impossible.

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI
haha?

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:33:33 Reply

be like poozy but be less of a dick

hey

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:06:01 Reply

At 8/23/12 08:00 AM, Halberd wrote: we need a hero

we need Kid.newgrounds.com

no we need UltraBear the true unsung hero of the BBS.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:20:42 Reply

It has been interesting to read some of these posts. In some cases I was actually surprised to see that people actually support stricter moderation. It doesn't seem like all that long ago that I remember threads cropping up here, there and everywhere about how some mods were seen as being abusive.

At 8/22/12 09:39 PM, Gambit wrote: Oops this was meant to be fun... well never mind my last post. lulz let's have fun den

Well, there was an element of seriousness behind this as well. I've seen a few users complain about lenient moderation recently, which made me wonder what it would actually take to please the majority of the users. I'm not saying that this thread is going to make me change in anyway but I thought it would be nice to get an insight to how users think these forums should be moderated.

I mean after all we use this place to chill out, kill boredom and have fun, right? If people aren't happy with the way the forums are being moderated, I think they should be able to give their input on how they'd like to see things done.

I enjoy this place as much as a lot of you guys do, so if you think there's something I can do to help make this place more enjoyable, I'm all ears. I do think the forums could use a little injection of prosperity right about now.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:25:29 Reply

At 8/23/12 10:20 AM, Dean wrote:
I enjoy this place as much as a lot of you guys do, so if you think there's something I can do to help make this place more enjoyable, I'm all ears. I do think the forums could use a little injection of prosperity right about now.

As stated a few times in this thread previously, I think that the forum needs more interaction between the mods and the users. Not just the mods posting to lock a thread, but to actually contribute to threads. Another thing is inactivity. Obviously people have lives, but if a mod is going to be active with the community then that's just silly.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:27:33 Reply

At 8/23/12 10:25 AM, Zachary wrote: active with the community then that's just silly.

I mean inactive.

Also, this thread reminds me a lot of this.

BBS Signature