Be a Supporter!

Forum Moderation For Dummies

  • 5,027 Views
  • 104 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
YenMuffin
YenMuffin
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:21:32 Reply

Mods are in fact people and people can range from fun to asshole. It's because of this that mods should call dibs on threads so no other mods come fucking things up in their territory.
Every mod needs to have had at least one drink before doing any modding and need to enforce Classy Thursdays which would make all the users wear formal attire when posting.

Sounds fun to me.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:24:30 Reply

Mods like Eyelovepoozy......could use some reconsideration. Everybody else should just be more active.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:26:39 Reply

Don't be an arse.

T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:35:34 Reply

At 8/22/12 11:24 PM, II2none wrote: Mods like Eyelovepoozy......could use some reconsideration. Everybody else should just be more active.

Yeah, I don't know how he's kept his mod status for so long. He just bans everyone he doesn't like, not what the rules don't like.

People complain about Back-From-Purgatory being too strict but at least he/she enforces the rules. Back-From-Purgatory doesn't go around locking threads just because they don't like the people there.

"this thread is not a chat room"
Isn't every thread in Clubs & Crews more or less a chat thread for finding people with other interests?
Poozy just locked it because he thought furries were weird. I'm not even a furry but I think it's BS to lock a thread just because you disagree with the people there.
Mods, take that into consideration.
Zeppeli
Zeppeli
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:40:05 Reply

At 8/22/12 11:35 PM, T3XT wrote: January 7, 2012

No, you still don't understand how things work here.
He locked it because it didn't pertain to being "furry" related. It just spun out of control and everyone posted whatever they wanted. There needs to be regulation and understanding, you obviously lack the latter.


I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:43:03 Reply

You can be active, but don't be an authoritarian. That was the main problem with Mods back in the day a la FunkBRS. He just spouted a penis measuring contest wherever the hell he went (HERP DERP IMA MOD RESPECT EVERYTHING I SAY AS RIGHT).


Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-22 23:59:26 Reply

Ignore suggestions. Moderate independently. Annul the opinions of others and focus on actions, not words.


"What seest thou else. In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 00:08:15 Reply

I don't think it should be talked about or questioned.


BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 00:40:34 Reply

the problem is we don't have enough committed mods a lot of the mods on the moderator list are barely active or none 6 Months+ barely active. and the ones who are are doing all the work. we need a moderation shift. and get new committed moderators who are currently active for the BBS. because it shouldn't take a mod 45 minutes to a hour to lock a thread breaking the rules because letting a thread like "I saw a gril die" reaching seven pages is unacceptable.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 01:09:53 Reply

Don't let regular users with high amount of posts feel like they own the forums when they do something they shouldn't do, which they KNOW they shouldn't do.

Show them whos boss Dean.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
DiroNomer
DiroNomer
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 01:26:38 Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: ...What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?...

Someone with a since of humor, and isn't always taking everything serious as fuck.


Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 06:49:20 Reply

Please Dean. The forums are turning to shit because you can't expect 12-15 year olds to handle themselves well.

We need nazi modding like in the days of bbr.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 06:56:00 Reply

At 8/23/12 06:49 AM, DickBuns wrote: We need nazi modding like in the days of bbr.

yeah bring back BBR into the mod fold you will see shit pick up quickly.

Steff
Steff
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Artist
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 07:24:08 Reply

Well, for one, be active. There aren't many active forum moderators, meaning spammers can do what ever they want for the +1 or just pissing people off, and nobody with stop them. When there is a mod online I do PM with the links and such, but it's not always like this.


BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 07:58:15 Reply

At 8/22/12 09:35 PM, Dean wrote: When forum moderators are strict, users complain that they abuse their authority. When forum moderators are lenient, users complain that they no longer give a crap about the community.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the "[insert topic] For Dummies" books. Imagine that someone has asked you to contribute to a "Forum Moderation For Dummies" book. What kind of advice would you put in there to help shape your idea of a perfect forum moderator?

This is only meant as a bit of fun but I still think it might be interesting to hear your opinions on the subject.

This is a brilliant idea for a serious thread in a lot of ways.

My opinion:
I've never been a moderator, so I honestly can't speak from experience in that position. I have, however, been an administrator for games that attract 12-year-olds, so i'll speak from there.

1. Walk softly, but carry a big stick. Basically this means be fun and nice, but when it comes down to it don't be afraid to use the ban-hammer.
2. Post! I never see mods these days post in anything. I may just be missing them, but I think you should have fun, too. The main reason you should do this is because you're part of the community, not above it.
3. Think like a user. What do users want? (which is what this thread's about, anyway) What would you want from moderators if you were a user? This is the most difficult bit.
4. Joke around and have fun in general. Again, you're part of the community, not above it.
5. Be persistent. There's not a lot of "instant gratification" when doing all of this, and it's tough. In the long run it'll serve well.
6. This isn't a huge issue, but sometimes a thread will be locked and there's no post as to explaining why or who locked it. Posting before locking would be good in several ways. You aren't the batman, you don't need to hide.

Yeah, you'll get a lot of people kissing your ass or asking for shit because you're a mod/admin (anyone seen the aftermath of Tom's posts?) If you ignore it and are active enough, it won't be such a special occurrence that you're there and people will stop doing that (save for new users and a special few)


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 07:58:49 Reply

We all can't have the perfect relationship like you do with me, Dean.

You know, my piloting skills combined with your gunner skills. Unfortunately, not everything can be as simple as a 10mil war machine tearing everyone's asshole asunder~

Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Reader
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:00:40 Reply

we need a hero

we need Kid.newgrounds.com

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:21:52 Reply

Why is it every time I give advice to mods I come out sounding bossy? -.-'

I generalized my last post, obviously there's mods who post, etc., etc. but the main point is that there's not a lot of anything I said going on, currently.
If you've noticed, a lot of my suggestions are fixed by simply posting. Yeah, it really is that important.

To the users:
I don't know about the mods and admins here, but I really hate using the ban-hammer. It's a pain in the ass in so many ways, and i'd rather be interacting with users as if I were just a user myself.
The problem is it makes it hard to do what I want to do (and what would be good for everyone) when i'm spending all my time banning people and looking out for cheaters.

obviously my views are skewed, as I have my favorite mods and staff like everyone else (or just people I like in general) - but I think I did a fair job of explaining in an unbiased manner for waking up at 5:30 without coffee.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
FIGMENTUM
FIGMENTUM
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:33:13 Reply

Activity's always been the big one. Maintaining some kind of presence at least keeps appearances up. Considering the vast array of preferences and senses of humour the community possesses, no one mod could ever please everyone... a 'perfect mod' is impossible.


I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI
haha?

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 08:33:33 Reply

be like poozy but be less of a dick


hey

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:06:01 Reply

At 8/23/12 08:00 AM, Halberd wrote: we need a hero

we need Kid.newgrounds.com

no we need UltraBear the true unsung hero of the BBS.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:20:42 Reply

It has been interesting to read some of these posts. In some cases I was actually surprised to see that people actually support stricter moderation. It doesn't seem like all that long ago that I remember threads cropping up here, there and everywhere about how some mods were seen as being abusive.

At 8/22/12 09:39 PM, Gambit wrote: Oops this was meant to be fun... well never mind my last post. lulz let's have fun den

Well, there was an element of seriousness behind this as well. I've seen a few users complain about lenient moderation recently, which made me wonder what it would actually take to please the majority of the users. I'm not saying that this thread is going to make me change in anyway but I thought it would be nice to get an insight to how users think these forums should be moderated.

I mean after all we use this place to chill out, kill boredom and have fun, right? If people aren't happy with the way the forums are being moderated, I think they should be able to give their input on how they'd like to see things done.

I enjoy this place as much as a lot of you guys do, so if you think there's something I can do to help make this place more enjoyable, I'm all ears. I do think the forums could use a little injection of prosperity right about now.


BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:25:29 Reply

At 8/23/12 10:20 AM, Dean wrote:
I enjoy this place as much as a lot of you guys do, so if you think there's something I can do to help make this place more enjoyable, I'm all ears. I do think the forums could use a little injection of prosperity right about now.

As stated a few times in this thread previously, I think that the forum needs more interaction between the mods and the users. Not just the mods posting to lock a thread, but to actually contribute to threads. Another thing is inactivity. Obviously people have lives, but if a mod is going to be active with the community then that's just silly.


.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:27:33 Reply

At 8/23/12 10:25 AM, Zachary wrote: active with the community then that's just silly.

I mean inactive.

Also, this thread reminds me a lot of this.


.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:35:35 Reply

At 8/23/12 10:25 AM, Zachary wrote:

Another thing is inactivity. Obviously people have lives, but if a mod is going to be active with the community then that's just silly.

I'm confused as to what you're saying O.o

I feel like i've missed something really big, or that i'm dancing around the thing I really want to say. Problem is, I can't think of it :/

anyway, I prefer thread locking to deletion. It's easier to see what went wrong, and if everyone is like me and reads every locked thread (they're pretty visible, and i'm usually curious) then we won't get as many threads that need to be locked. People learn from others' mistakes.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:39:45 Reply

At 8/23/12 10:25 AM, Zachary wrote: As stated a few times in this thread previously, I think that the forum needs more interaction between the mods and the users.

I definitely agree with that. It does seem like we see moderators posting less frequently these days but I think that the same can be said for a lot of the users that were recognised as "regulars" as well. It just feels like things have been slowing down a lot as of recent and I'd hate to see that trend continue. I'd like to see some energy pumped back into this place.

I spend a lot of my time in the VG forums and even when I'm not specifically using my computer to browse these forums, I still like to periodically check my inbox and make sure nothing terrible is happening on the forums. I think that as a result of this thread I'm going to try and spend some more time in the General forum seeing as that's where the bulk of the userbase likes to chill.


BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Member since: Nov. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 10:46:49 Reply

I miss ramagi, she was a pretty cool guy.


TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 11:33:25 Reply

The rules are made very clear so there is a clear punishment for breaking each individual rule, or class of rules. These punishments can range from a warning to an account deletion. If the same rule is broken again after a ban, the length of the ban is tripled. If the ban becomes over than a year long, the account is deleted.

Despite the strictness, the offending post will be reviewed by at least two moderators so as to clear any possibility of a misunderstanding rather than an actual offence.

Chat bans are given the same way as BBS bans are.

If a banned user gives an appeal, the appeals must be spell-checked and give valid explanations for the post the user was banned for. At least two moderators will then look at the offending post alongside the appeal to see if the grammar, spelling and vocabulary match up. This is to see if the appeal was either written by somebody else or if the banned user looked up synonyms for 'wrong' on Google. Appeals that slag off the moderators will also be used as a reason to ban a user for longer than they were previously.

Users can be banned for PMs if the victim gives legitimate evidence to the moderator to ban the sender from using the PM system and forums for at least three days. If the evidence is found to be fake, the ban is transferred to the "victim" and doubled. The same multiple-offence rules apply afterwards.

Moderators are allowed to become friends with other users, but since most offences are reviewed by more than one moderator, any favouritism can be detected and the moderator responsible will be stripped of their position.

Moderators who speak overtly of the people they have banned with regular users, will also be stripped of their position.
Speak of banned users between moderators is permitted because that's how moderators who give punishments more or less severe than the punishments stated by the rules, can be caught.

Moderators are above the regular users in the hierarchy because they ought to be.

In the event that a regular user tries to pull off a sirtom93, the moderators' only job is to give as much infomation to the admins as possible. No bans to the user's account should be given as there is a chance that the user may give some evidence and information that can be used against them in court.


BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 11:57:16 Reply

At 8/23/12 11:33 AM, w33zl wrote: Despite the strictness, the offending post will be reviewed by at least two moderators so as to clear any possibility of a misunderstanding rather than an actual offence.

I like that. It ensures "fairness" as much as possible without causing backup or lag in the system.

Chat bans are given the same way as BBS bans are.

I don't like that as much. Problem is, chat goes by much quicker than a BBS post. You should have to get a second opinion pretty quickly. I'd say short bans (hours, a day at max) by one moderator would be perfect for a chat.

If a banned user gives an appeal, the appeals must be spell-checked and give valid explanations for the post the user was banned for. At least two moderators will then look at the offending post alongside the appeal to see if the grammar, spelling and vocabulary match up. This is to see if the appeal was either written by somebody else or if the banned user looked up synonyms for 'wrong' on Google. Appeals that slag off the moderators will also be used as a reason to ban a user for longer than they were previously.

ehh... Even though i'm a bit of a grammar nazi, I don't like that. Nobody's perfect. Also, what offense do you take if someone else wrote the appeal? If it's giving valid, logical reasons it shouldn't matter who it comes from.
Okay, yeah, if you're using an appeal to shit-talk you deserve to be banned for a little longer. Seriously, who does that? It's a waste of everyone's time.

Users can be banned for PMs if the victim gives legitimate evidence to the moderator to ban the sender from using the PM system and forums for at least three days. If the evidence is found to be fake, the ban is transferred to the "victim" and doubled. The same multiple-offence rules apply afterwards.

at least three days? I think if you promote someone to "moderator" status, you should be able to trust them to make judgments for themselves.
I neither like nor dislike the second part (fake evidence)

Moderators are allowed to become friends with other users, but since most offences are reviewed by more than one moderator, any favouritism can be detected and the moderator responsible will be stripped of their position.

Again, everyone makes mistakes. It's impossible to be unbiased. Stripping of the position is too harsh. As long as the final judgement is fair, who cares?

Moderators who speak overtly of the people they have banned with regular users, will also be stripped of their position.
Speak of banned users between moderators is permitted because that's how moderators who give punishments more or less severe than the punishments stated by the rules, can be caught.

the "because" part was unnecessary.
Also, ehh... I can see why it's good to have some privacy on the bans, but at the same time if someone goes "why was this guy banned?" and you say "can't tell you, sorry" it's a bit of a put-off and creates more of a distance between users and moderators. Moderators should "fit in" with the users, that's what they're there for. To regulate and control, but also to be the closest administrative position to the users. If you put distance between the two groups, then look at how big the gap gets between the owner and the users.

Moderators are above the regular users in the hierarchy because they ought to be.

yes and no. Yes, there should be a "hierarchy" of permissions because let's face it: there's douchebags in the world.
Still doesn't mean one person is better than another.
opinions "good" and "bad" people are based upon respect.

In the event that a regular user tries to pull off a sirtom93, the moderators' only job is to give as much infomation to the admins as possible. No bans to the user's account should be given as there is a chance that the user may give some evidence and information that can be used against them in court.

a "sirtom93"? Something about threats and an arrested kid?
That's about all I got from google. Seems this news is pretty ancient and buried under legends and myths.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Forum Moderation For Dummies 2012-08-23 12:18:33 Reply

At 8/23/12 12:13 PM, dragoswrath wrote: WE'LL COMPLAIN ABOUT IT LIKE POLICE BRUTALITY!

rodney king?