00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Honey1200 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why?

5,048 Views | 70 Replies

Two people who have been submitting flash movies to Newgrounds since around 2002/2003 both stopped submitting flash movies last year while still continuing to release content on their YouTube pages. [LINK] [LINK] Even if a person isn't a fan of either animators, it's still sad that both of them essentially ditched Newgrounds. The Classic Portal doesn't even show Foamy anymore. Perhaps both guys make a lot more money through YouTube and prefer if people watch their content there for that reason. I'm not trying to make them look bad, but that's the only explanation I can think of. :/ Has anyone been able to find any explanation as to why both of them stopped submitting here? Also, are there any other longtime Newgrounds uploaders that stopped submitting here but still submits flash movies to YouTube regularly?

Formerly known on this website as W.A.C. / W-A-C.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 10:50:38

At 18 minutes ago, W-A-C wrote: Two people who have been submitting flash movies to Newgrounds since around 2002/2003 both stopped submitting flash movies last year while still continuing to release content on their YouTube pages. [LINK] [LINK] Even if a person isn't a fan of either animators, it's still sad that both of them essentially ditched Newgrounds. The Classic Portal doesn't even show Foamy anymore. Perhaps both guys make a lot more money through YouTube and prefer if people watch their content there for that reason. I'm not trying to make them look bad, but that's the only explanation I can think of. :/ Has anyone been able to find any explanation as to why both of them stopped submitting here? Also, are there any other longtime Newgrounds uploaders that stopped submitting here but still submits flash movies to YouTube regularly?

...or, maybe they just decided to take a break from the site after nearly a decade? Just a thought.

On an unrelated note: Ha, nice changes to the site... haven't been on here in a while.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 10:56:36

Doesn't illwillpress usually release a shit load of videos at once? I remember some time last year he was getting multiple daily awards for about a week straight.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 11:11:57

I think Youtube would have a bigger audience than Newgrounds, thus more room for... success?

Both also have their own websites, and they'd be able to embed their videos on theirs and others' websites through Youtube.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 11:23:18

At 51 minutes ago, W-A-C wrote: Perhaps both guys make a lot more money through YouTube and prefer if people watch their content there for that reason. I'm not trying to make them look bad

This shouldn't make them look bad. They don't run a charity. In the same way that I gave up my paper round when I got a till job at a local shop, and gave that up when I got an office job, it appears that they've given up NG. There's no denying youtube's much bigger userbase will do wonders in terms of monetizing their content.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:00:26

Asked Weebl.
I think it's because of Newgrounds' ridiculous restrictions for videos. They need to be SWF, the filesize needs to be under 10MB with no LZMA compression support.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:05:44

As much ad I live NG, I can understand a him to YouTube if that is what has taken place. Love them both btw.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:06:50

At 53 minutes ago, Ryanson wrote: I think Youtube would have a bigger audience than Newgrounds, thus more room for... success?

but having them on both sites still looks good and your spreading your content as far as you can.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:13:42

At 7 minutes ago, Wolfos wrote: Asked Weebl.
I think it's because of Newgrounds' ridiculous restrictions for videos. They need to be SWF, the filesize needs to be under 10MB with no LZMA compression support.

it is a FLASH portal it is for movies that can be played in
Future-splash player 1.0
Macromedia flash player 0.2-8.9
adobe flash player 9 or later

there are movies over 10 mb you just need special permission to do so people
would just have a 5 second stick figure movie with a 17 mb audio file if there was no limit

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:16:32

illwillpress is sooo unfunny. I can respect his seniority, but fuck his shit is just not funny.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:37:13

For some weird reason YouTube users buy into shit easily.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 12:49:33

well actually one of the goals of the redesign, as mentioned by tom was to move towards categorizing movies as movies not necessarily FLASH movies. So in the next phase of the redesign one of the hopes is to begin accepting mediums beyond swf. Alot of animators are integrating after effects and video into their animated work and yes it is an absolute chore to then have to somehow convert it to swf.

So i dont think weebl left per say, it just makes it a chore and maybe a chore that is unworthwhile from a business/time standpoint which is totally fair. I still run into weebl at london ng events and ive never gotten the impression he doesnt submit out of disdain for the site or anything.

SLOWLY we will get there. Actually not that slowly, its close to being a reality. The biggest hurdle was the redesign itself and its done now. So new things will drop in easier.

None

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 13:20:02

At 28 minutes ago, Luis wrote: Stuff.

That's good and all but, won't that open up a portal to even more terrible, lazy, content?

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 13:32:11

The same thing is happening to other authors... The author of one of the most intriguing submits (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/459135) has left (or is just super inactive) NG. After the monthly awards have been taken away (and replaced with rev sharing) the site hasn't been getting as much content. :(

Not dissing Tom's discussion (and if it's financial I understand; one NG is better than no NG). But the portal submits went down from 600-1200 a day to around 60, if not less by now. People (sadly) just don't have as much time if they aren't going to be eligible for more money.

[New Servers on the Way!] [Twitter] [My Site] [My NGLog]

Click on the image!

Sig by bangyouredead

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 13:35:13

They are making money out of youtube and/or are taking a break for being here a decade.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 13:38:30

At 3 minutes ago, JOHNNY29 wrote: After the monthly awards have been taken away (and replaced with rev sharing) the site hasn't been getting as much content. :(

People (sadly) just don't have as much time if they aren't going to be eligible for more money.

I don't understand your logic here. Are you suggesting that people were submitting because they were expecting to make financial gain by being 1 of the limited 5 monthly winners, and not from ad revenue?

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 13:53:22

I'd guess Luis is right. Flash is a terrible and dated program and, considering what Weebl was doing a few years ago when I last saw any of his movies, I'd be surprised if he's still using it. There's also the issue of Youtube being a much better content distribution platform for movies of any sort than some relatively obscure little site with a vaguely negative reputation and an interface that I'd imagine would be quite confusing for anyone not used to it.

As for illwillpress, one can only hope that he gave up illwillpressing and moved on to get a job at Blackwater or something less repugnant than making terrible movies on the internet. Family Guy probably drove his ass out of the market anyway.

wolf piss

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 14:33:33

At 1 hour ago, Luis wrote: hopes is to begin accepting mediums beyond swf.

YAY newfags can upload windows movie maker files without having to convert them to swf

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 14:49:21

they both left

BECAUSE I CAME

NPH, GOD

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 16:06:58

At 1 minute ago, Daikenkini wrote: Actually, many more did. They promised theirselfes more fame on other sites. As they couldn't expect sponsorship from newgrounds, they were posting their works just for the few, additional views and sharing possibilities, or they achieved special sponsorships demanding their stuff to be exclusive in exchange.

It's a sad, ongoing process, really.

I'm starting to think Newgrounds has become a site most suitable for game developers...

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 16:27:13

I suppose it'd be pretty handy to be able to edit the video outside of Flash (Well that and Flash is a bugger when it comes to sound syncing)

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 17:41:27

Yeah, Knox does the same thing. As he still makes videos, just not on Newgrounds anymore.

I don't understand why they all just don't upload to both.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 17:57:17

Well sometimes people move on, that's just how life is sometime.

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 18:26:58

Foamy was always and will forever be SHIT.

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 18:28:37

they are way past their prime anyways. also, fuck legendaryfrog (just for the record, idk if anyone mentioned)

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 18:35:17

At 6 minutes ago, Grub-Xer0 wrote: Foamy was always and will forever be SHIT.

Agreed.

Hello.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 18:39:50

At 6 hours ago, straberrykiler6789 wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, Wolfos wrote: Asked Weebl.
it is a FLASH portal it is for movies that can be played in
Future-splash player 1.0
Macromedia flash player 0.2-8.9
adobe flash player 9 or later

there are movies over 10 mb you just need special permission to do so people
would just have a 5 second stick figure movie with a 17 mb audio file if there was no limit

That's probably why NG is branching out with the redesign and will not only have flash content now. It's hurting the amount of content they get.

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 20:16:11

At 5 hours ago, Edufish9 wrote: they both left

BECAUSE I CAME

Thanks a lot! Thanks a fucking lot!!

BBS Signature

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 21:21:47

People are gonna do what they do when they do it, and we should probably just let them live their lives, it's nbd, you can still watch their videos, just not here.

Response to illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why? 2012-02-09 21:28:19

At 2 hours ago, Grub-Xer0 wrote: Foamy was always and will forever be SHIT.

MMMMM I like SHYYIIIIIT

illwillpress & Weebl left NG. Why?