00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd 2011 Project Results!

88,993 Views | 620 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 13:55:49

Look, if we just can't agree on which charity we give money to, why don't just artists get whatever amount of money that album might earn. It's fine with me whatever is decided.
I'm not from US so I don't know anything about those charities discussed.
Let's just just make one thing clear, I don't give a damn about the money, and I don't want to sound like a prick, the only thing I'm interested in at the moment is to see what will the album art look like. :P

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 16:17:27

At 11/26/11 01:55 PM, adsubzero wrote: Look, if we just can't agree on which charity we give money to, why don't just artists get whatever amount of money that album might earn. It's fine with me whatever is decided.

We have about 30 people on the CD... if we price the total at 20 bucks, we only need to sell 3 whole things for each of us to get about 2 bucks... if each part is 10 bucks, then 6 parts would get us each 2 bucks too.

If we sold only 9 sets of everything and 12 individual albums, we'd get 10 bucks each (or 300 bucks for a charity if we are feeling less egotistical on the day we decide where it goes)... if we actually try to advertise this a bit, we could easily get that much... not to mention the donation idea and the other points about album pricing and organization brought up.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 16:37:34

At 11/26/11 04:17 PM, samulis wrote:
We have about 30 people on the CD... if we price the total at 20 bucks, we only need to sell 3 whole things for each of us to get about 2 bucks... if each part is 10 bucks, then 6 parts would get us each 2 bucks too.

Like I said, I'm fine with that, I just want to see that we all agree which charity we give the money to.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 18:35:27

At 11/26/11 04:17 PM, samulis wrote: I want money

Music For CHARITY.

Which charity? Well, we need to have a vote, preferably very soon. Since nobody has so far stepped up to trying to organize one, I'll say right now that I'm willing to put the vote together.

I would suggest that we do it in a fashion something like this:

1) Have everyone spend a few days searching for good charities, and gather them together into a master list

2) Have people post their votes in either this thread or new one dedicated to the vote

3) Vote on two things:

----- A) Whether you'd prefer to donate to one charity vs. donating to multiple charities
----- B) Your top 3 choices of charity to donate to

4) Tally the votes (potentially giving extra weight to each person's 1st and 2nd choice)

5) Cake.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------

TL;DR: Let's vote for a charity, and do it very soon. Christmas is coming fast.

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 19:04:43

At 11/26/11 06:35 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote:
At 11/26/11 04:17 PM, samulis wrote: I want money
stuff and things

Geez... I guess I can't play devil's advocate. :P

I already said this, but ThermalLaser brought up the National Association for Music Education here in the US and I think that's the best choice, at least from my point of view. I don't know about other nations, but I reckon there's something like this for several nations, even developing and underdeveloped ones.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 19:07:14

Here's FKWaJP's list:

UNICEF
OXFAM
Amnesty
Borderless World Volunteers
Feed The Children
CANFAR
Street Kids

+ the Heifer fund/foundation/project

He has links on his post on page 4.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 19:39:50

At 11/26/11 07:07 PM, samulis wrote: Here's FKWaJP's list:
(List)
He has links on his post on page 4.

...Actually, I posted those. xD

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 19:47:17

Apologies for the double post, I keep forgetting that NG doesn't let you edit posts. Anyways.

At 11/26/11 07:04 PM, samulis wrote: I already said this, but ThermalLaser brought up the National Association for Music Education here in the US and I think that's the best choice

I love my US neighbours and music education, but I feel we could place donations somewhere they'll matter more to people...

At 11/26/11 07:04 PM, samulis wrote: I reckon there's something like this for several nations, even developing and underdeveloped ones.

...^^And that's exactly what I mean. If we can find something that promotes and uses music to improve lives in places where people struggle every day, then I think we'll probably have found our charity.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 20:14:06

I know there is a UN-based programme trying to promote animation in Africa, but there might be one about music somewhere.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 20:28:35

At 11/26/11 08:14 PM, samulis wrote: I know there is a UN-based programme trying to promote animation in Africa, but there might be one about music somewhere.

I think I found exactly what we're talking about. After some searching online for charities that use music to improve lives internationally, Google threw this at me:

Music as Therapy International

It's a smallish organization, but it looks like there are some good examples, like their Rwanda project, that demonstrate how their efforts are making a difference to people who need it - specifically through music. They're also featured as the Paritor Charity of the Year for 2011.

Personally, I couldn't have wished for a better charity to donate to.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-26 22:14:22

At 11/26/11 08:28 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: Personally, I couldn't have wished for a better charity to donate to.

I like ^

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-27 02:51:21

At 11/26/11 08:28 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote:
I think I found exactly what we're talking about. After some searching online for charities that use music to improve lives internationally, Google threw this at me:

Music as Therapy International

I had to do some research on music therapy for my Health class last year, it's cool stuff. I support this one as well.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-27 08:39:21

At 11/26/11 08:28 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: Music as Therapy International

Let's go for it then :)

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-27 09:20:03

I'm fine with that too.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-27 11:55:27

I like a lot of he examples provided so far. I will go ahead and narrow all of them down I what I feel are the top 3 or so, based on people's responses and my own personal opinion, and I will send out PMs to people asking them to vote. Then we can get the charity process finalized.

Next on the agedndurp:

ALBUM ART (Got an artist)
FINAL TRACK LIST
FINAL NG DEMO MIX
FINAL T SHRT DESIGN (We would still love t shirt designs!)
GETTING IT ALL TOGETHER WITH TOM FULP

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-30 07:44:02

Bump, only because I dislike seeing such a good collab thread fall into the second page...

bork bork bork

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-01 12:50:10

Really happy i got into this CD. I must say i do like the african music charity idea. Might be worthwhile informing the charity about the project and they could help out with the CD promotion. Its win/win for the charity if you think about it.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-01 13:24:56

At 12/1/11 12:50 PM, gavkay21 wrote: Really happy i got into this CD. I must say i do like the african music charity idea. Might be worthwhile informing the charity about the project and they could help out with the CD promotion. Its win/win for the charity if you think about it.

Ya, there's nothing wrong with contacting the charity ahead of time... even if they won't advertise/promo it, they'll surely be able to tell us what will help the most or whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-02 10:30:16

Oh crap...

Too late for me...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-02 10:34:43

At 12/2/11 10:30 AM, Gede wrote: Oh crap...

Too late for me...

To me this looks like a cheap excuse to advertise.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-02 12:14:03

At 12/2/11 10:34 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 12/2/11 10:30 AM, Gede wrote: Oh crap...

Too late for me...
To me this looks like a cheap excuse to advertise.

Had to try, you know :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-02 12:56:48

It's been a little while since we've heard anything about this, where are we at with the demo mix, charity voting, shirt designs, etc?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-02 18:22:36

At 12/2/11 12:56 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: It's been a little while since we've heard anything about this, where are we at with the demo mix, charity voting, shirt designs, etc?

Didn't FatJetWitAKidPak say he was going to send out a PM? Eagerly awaiting... Is a pre-Christmas release still in the cards?

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-02 19:42:00

At 12/2/11 06:22 PM, AetherX wrote: Didn't FatJetWitAKidPak say he was going to send out a PM? Eagerly awaiting... Is a pre-Christmas release still in the cards?

Yes, he did. That's partly what I was referring to. The pre-Christmas release is what I was hoping for, too - I haven't heard from him since I sent him a PM asking if he wanted my help with the charity voting riff-raff nonsense, and he responded sounding like he had it totally covered... but that was almost a week ago.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-03 08:53:54

At 12/2/11 07:42 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: Yes, he did. That's partly what I was referring to. The pre-Christmas release is what I was hoping for, too - I haven't heard from him since I sent him a PM asking if he wanted my help with the charity voting riff-raff nonsense, and he responded sounding like he had it totally covered... but that was almost a week ago.

Hmm... waiting game anyone? I'm pretty confident he's done with pretty much everything concerning the project, and that the most important points have been either discussed or covered.
We got two or three t-shirt designs, the charity has been decided (I think...), someone's already mixing the tracks, and another one is doing the cover art. What's missing?

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-03 21:07:15

At 12/3/11 08:53 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: I'm pretty confident he's done with pretty much everything concerning the project

I'm not so sure about that, I think we'd have heard more about it if that were the case.

At 12/3/11 08:53 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: We got two or three t-shirt designs...

... but haven't made an official decision as to which one(s) we want to use.

At 12/3/11 08:53 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: the charity has been decided (I think...)

Actually, no. Unless you mean it's pretty clear that Music as Therapy International is leading in terms of how people have been responding to it, in which case you'd appear be right. An actual vote is yet to be had, though.

At 12/3/11 08:53 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: What's missing?

Updates for the last week, otherwise it's hard to tell.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-06 00:35:30

Alright guys! it's time to vote on a charity... then I will post the final track list and we can move on from there. After researching, I have compiled together this small list of three charities that I think would best use the money we donate. All of them have to do with music, which I see is fit for a musical group to donate to another musical group.

Please reply with your vote for the charity you think we should donate to.

VH1 Save the Music

The VH1 Save The Music Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to restoring instrumental music education in America's public schools, and raising awareness about the importance of music as part of each child's complete education. Since its inception in 1997, the VH1 Save The Music Foundation has provided $48 million in new musical instruments to 1,800 public schools in more than 100 cities around the country, impacting the lives of over 1.8 million children.

Music for Charity

Music as Therapy is a UK registered charity. Our main activity is the provision of six-week Introductory Music Therapy Training Projects to help local care staff to improve the quality of life for marginalised children and adults with a range of disabilities. The charity's roots lie in Romania where, since 1995, we have enabled just under 3000 disadvantaged children and adults to experience the benefits of interactive music-making. There are currently 18 teams of local staff committed to running programmes all around Romania.

MIMA

MIMA's mission is to build and celebrate community by inspiring and transforming people through music. MIMA offers free music-making workshops in communities around the world, and trains young volunteers to lead these workshops in their home communities. MIMA's goal is to unlock the creative potential of individuals within a group and empower groups within a community. MIMA teaches people to create new works of Art and celebrate their global heritage. Improvisation is the guiding principle for MIMA's programs and curriculum.

VOTE VOTE VOTE :)

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-06 00:42:26

AND VOTE ON T-SHIRT! :D

This one?

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-06 00:43:51

...or this one?

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-12-06 00:51:02

At 12/6/11 12:43 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: ...or this one?

I like this option best, the blend of yellows and oranges would look good on a tee I reckon.

As far as the charities go, I'm torn between donating to a global or localised charity. On the one hand, I feel a global charity would be a better one to donate to, helping people everywhere instead of just one country. On the other, I'm not sure how much money the project will make and if the amount will be worth donating to such a large organisation.

bork bork bork