00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rig's Room Treatment Adventures

26,777 Views | 213 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-08 23:41:40

Speaking of acoustic maths...

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/qrdude.
htm

I'm thinking of building a diffuser or two, and this tool is invaluable.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-10 00:29:48

So I was trying to take a nap today when I suddenly had an idea for a new design of very cheap and light home-made bass traps and sound absorbers. I'm gonna build them on Tuesday and will post pics and instructions! :D

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 18:28:55

Here's my prototype. The next version will be a lot slimmer and use plastic straps instead of string.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 18:40:16

Here's version two so far. Getting the plastic straps tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 19:45:59

Careful with that mineral cotton (or however it's called), this has small... something like glass dust... don't know in English but you MUST wear a mask and gloves while handling that and don't leave it open, put some materials on top.

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 22:18:44

At 10/11/11 07:45 PM, sorohanro wrote: Careful with that mineral cotton (or however it's called), this has small... something like glass dust... don't know in English but you MUST wear a mask and gloves while handling that

Got that covered.

and don't leave it open, put some materials on top.

Got that covered - the black stuff on the second frame is landscape fabric. I'll be getting some stronger cloth for the final version, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 22:30:47

At 10/11/11 10:20 PM, Chronamut wrote: it almost looks like you're folding a banana..

a.. grey.. banana..

had the exact same thought, only holding rather then folding

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 23:43:09

Using a non-treated canvas to me seems like a superbly efficient way of making absorptive panels that look very clean cut.

Pre-stretched canvas with frame

I'm sure you know what they look like, but just cause I've linked. In that link it is treated so it probably would respond a bit more reflectively given acrylics are pretty dense and would form a very even surface. The membrane itself though would probably be a bit dynamic itself. You can purchase non-treated canvas that would be more reflective, and to tack in some foam behind it would be pretty easy to do to increase the absorption. Big benefit is they're pretty cheap, should be easy to mount given the weight, and they would look very very polished. Plus you cuold paint on them or alter their color to match the room no problem. I purchased a set of 4 that were 24x18 for only $10 as an example price. Dunno if recent stores near you would have such a rate.

At 10/11/11 07:45 PM, sorohanro wrote: Careful with that mineral cotton (or however it's called), this has small... something like glass dust... don't know in English but you MUST wear a mask and gloves while handling

Its fibre glass insultion. They have eco friendly, fire proof, and non-harmful to handle versions too!

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-11 23:55:48

At 10/11/11 11:43 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: Using a non-treated canvas to me seems like a superbly efficient way of making absorptive panels that look very clean cut.

Yeah, I've seen some good things with canvas. Burlap has a looser weave, so that may be even better. I'm going for a burgundy theme, so if I can't find burlap or canvas in that colour, I'll just go for cloth.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-12 13:50:02

Going to the hardware store for some brackets and cloth!

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-12 18:35:20

At 10/12/11 02:35 PM, Chemich wrote: Get a Penicorn and post it all over Newgrounds, Rig.

One it's not really enough for sound treatment, you should get a whole wall full of penicorns !
I tried.

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-12 21:48:00

Dang dude - this is really looking legit. Where are you located?

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-13 00:16:59

At 10/12/11 09:48 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: Dang dude - this is really looking legit. Where are you located?

Winnipeg, good sir. I might stay here for a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-13 23:44:14

So instead of making a ton of big heavy frames, I decided to be as simple as possible. And you can't get much simpler than stuffing insulation into a bag.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-13 23:45:44

The bag is made out of a canvas-like fabric I bought at a local fabric store. I basically stacked insulation on the fabric, wrapped it up, and used hot glue to keep it together.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-13 23:47:51

The top of the bag is sealed with hot glue and attached to a plywood bar. I'll tie some string on there and put it over a hook on the wall, like how you hang a picture frame. I'll also add a couple spacers to keep it about 6" from the wall, for more efficient absorption.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-13 23:49:28

I'm so glad I'm doing this instead of spending days in the shop, making frames. This method is easy to construct and it uses less material, too!

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 04:10:55

At 10/13/11 11:49 PM, Rig wrote: I'm so glad I'm doing this instead of spending days in the shop, making frames. This method is easy to construct and it uses less material, too!

What are your plans for reflective panels and diffusers? As well, what was the reasoning for not purchasing absorptive foam like this?

I checked out my cities big music stores for sound proofing related stock. They didn't have much given they ate up alot of space on the floor, it was an order it in type deal. They had 24x48inch panels of the absorptive ffoam for $25, cheaper rates for larger bulk bought. I figure $60 for 3 sets of those panels is potentially comparable to your expenses.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 07:46:40

now all you need is 1 more g

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 11:07:44

At 10/14/11 04:10 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote: They had 24x48inch panels of the absorptive ffoam for $25, cheaper rates for larger bulk bought. I figure $60 for 3 sets of those panels is potentially comparable to your expenses.

The Safe 'n Sound I'm using costs $40 per bale, and I can make four traps per bale. If I went with just one layer of insulation, I could make six per bale. The plywood cost $14 per 2x4 sheet, and I can cut enough material for 16 traps out of one. The fabric cost me $2.75 per meter, and I use about 3.5 meters per trap. Glue is 4 bucks per pack - I don't know how much glue I need, but I think I can get four traps made per pack.

So as of now, my traps cost $21.50 each. $18.17 if I used one layer of insulation.

All that's in Canadian dollars btw, so it'll be even cheaper for you Americans.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 11:10:46

Oh, and that foam by itself will only absorb the highs. My traps will absorb down to midrange. Besides, I'm saving shipping charges and can make these into any shape and size I want. :>

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 12:17:23

At 10/14/11 04:10 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote: What are your plans for reflective panels and diffusers?

No plans. I'll space these absorbers evenly around the room and use the walls themselves for reflection. Diffusers will be made another time, if I need them.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 14:29:24

BOOM. My design works.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 14:29:54

Close-up!

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 14:31:45

Absorption ruuuuules

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 16:14:29

Awesome, cost effective, efficient solution :).

People can get way too hung up on worrying about the methodologies surrounding sound absorption. The fact of the matter, is that you don't need an artificially dead room in order to get a reasonably balanced mix to your ears. Proper speaker placement, along with decoupling your speakers from the desk (sit them on some big foam blocks), and keeping a careful ear on/being aware of any standing waves or resonance peaks that your room exhibits. If you are having problems with excess bass, try plugging the ports on your monitors. This'll reduce the artificially enhanced sub-bass, but it will help to really tighten up your higher-subs and low-mids.

If you have the space, some spare time, and a little bit of cash, build a bass trap or two, like rigs. But diffusers? You don't need them, you don't have hundreds of thousands of $$$ worth of mastering gear, and you probably won't be able to figure out the maths to make your system work effectively.

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 16:17:58

At 10/14/11 04:14 PM, jarrydn wrote: If you have the space, some spare time, and a little bit of cash, build a bass trap or two, like rigs. But diffusers? You don't need them, you don't have hundreds of thousands of $$$ worth of mastering gear, and you probably won't be able to figure out the maths to make your system work effectively.

Not directed at you by the way, Rig. More so just speaking from my own personal experience with a tiny, boxy little home-studio.

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 16:49:32

At 10/14/11 02:29 PM, Rig wrote: BOOM. My design works.

I would seriously mistake that for a mattress on first sight.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-14 22:10:47

At 10/14/11 04:49 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 10/14/11 02:29 PM, Rig wrote: BOOM. My design works.
I would seriously mistake that for a mattress on first sight.

They're pretty darn comfy. And yeah, jarrydn - diffusers aren't high on my list at the moment. I'll see what I can do with my mattress/cocoon thingies.

BBS Signature

Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-10-16 00:27:06

Well it took a couple days, but they're all assembled! I'll hang them tomorrow - the sticky hooks aren't effective in this room, so I need some drywall anchors.

Also, my speakers are in customs and will be here next week! I'm so excited :D :D :D

BBS Signature