Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-03 14:59:24 Reply

I brought over my computer from home. I'll use it here until I get a new one :D

Rig's Room Treatment Adventures

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-03 20:31:40 Reply

Protip: if you're getting a lot of comb filtering from your desk, move your speakers up and back. Works for me.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Darren-M
Darren-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-04 02:04:07 Reply

wow this is coming together now, what type of monitor is that you have there on the left, i feel like i might need one of those. Perfect for the reason racks!

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-04 11:22:26 Reply

At 11/4/11 02:04 AM, Darren-M wrote: wow this is coming together now, what type of monitor is that you have there on the left, i feel like i might need one of those. Perfect for the reason racks!

Same as the one on the right, but with the stand removed and turned sideways. It's called portrait mode, and any monitor can do it.

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-04 13:20:12 Reply

At 11/3/11 08:31 PM, Rig wrote: Protip: if you're getting a lot of comb filtering from your desk, move your speakers up and back. Works for me.

So THAT'S how it's done. My desk is moved all the way to my wall though, so my only solution would be hanging my speakers on the wall, and my parents probably wouldn't allow that I think :P

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-04 13:35:13 Reply

At 11/4/11 01:20 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: So THAT'S how it's done. My desk is moved all the way to my wall though, so my only solution would be hanging my speakers on the wall, and my parents probably wouldn't allow that I think :P

You could always lay down towels or something on the desk between the speakers and the front edge.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-05 04:07:42 Reply

I think Rig needs to put in one of these:

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-05 16:27:11 Reply

At 11/5/11 04:07 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: I think Rig needs to put in one of these:

That's awesome and I want a pair.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-05 17:17:55 Reply

Looking gooooood.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-05 17:18:42 Reply

Also, all the absorbers are on the walls. I need to make two or three more.

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-05 17:40:59 Reply

Hows it all sounding?

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-05 18:03:58 Reply

At 11/5/11 05:40 PM, Quarl wrote: Hows it all sounding?

Playing a sine sweep reveals a dip in the low mids and another few peaks and stuff in the mid and highs. I'll see what I can do.

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 11:17:24 Reply

I would definitely consider investing in a Behringer DEQ2496 and a calibrated measurement mic like the Dayton EMM-6 to start...

Behringer DEQ2496

Dayton EMM-6

You can always upgrade the the mic to say an entry-level earthworks at a later time but that would supply immensely superior results that what you could do without some type of RTA equalization system. You'll want to do the corrective eq on each channel individually and then re-measure in stereo and make further adjustments with the supplied additional 31 band eq to get things totally tuned in. As you mentioned yourself, you'll find a distributed bass system will significantly cut down on the room modes your running into as well as response from changing position of your head slightly.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 11:18:47 Reply

Let me just also say that Rig, you are a total badass. lol

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 12:29:35 Reply

I'm not sure about using EQ for room correction. I want to see how far I can get without resorting to that. However, I'll probably do whatever's cheaper, lol

And thanks! You should come for a visit someday.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 12:49:31 Reply

In other news, all absorbers are hung and I have some lights!

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 12:54:46 Reply

View from the windows. I need to build two or three more absorbers for the door area.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 12:55:41 Reply

View from behind the desk. I have a couple of spotlights behind the couch...it's a cool effect.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 12:56:51 Reply

View from the front right corner. Big felt curtain over the emergency exit. I hope that's up to code.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 12:59:45 Reply

Only the finest phase-aligned, oxygen-free, audiophile-grade cardboard was used.

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 15:00:49 Reply

At 11/7/11 12:59 PM, Rig wrote: Only the finest phase-aligned, oxygen-free, audiophile-grade cardboard was used.

Why did you use cardboard?

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 16:04:48 Reply

At 11/7/11 12:49 PM, Rig wrote: In other news, all absorbers are hung and I have some lights!

Looks like you\re prepared for Christmas :)

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 17:01:39 Reply

This is just beautiful so far. Is that FL Studio I see on both computers earlier on this page? Room setup seems to be coming along just amazingly. Nice room Rig. What else to do to it?

<33/Request Reviews/Review Request Club / #9 Reviewer / #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 17:04:58 Reply

I'm curious as to why you have one monitor flipped sideways....I've known web designers/coders to do that, but what advantages in audio is there for that? Or do you just like it that way?

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 22:43:14 Reply

At 11/7/11 12:29 PM, Rig wrote: I'm not sure about using EQ for room correction. I want to see how far I can get without resorting to that. However, I'll probably do whatever's cheaper, lol

And thanks! You should come for a visit someday.

You can do quite a bit with room tuning but believe me you'll get amazing results just by being able to run frequency sweeps and actually calculate where your problem areas are and then eq them (especially with very sharp filters like that behringer unit offers). Plus you'll never be able to compensate for areas where your monitors own response are introducing the problem. I want to emphasize that in no way is RTA and corrective eq a "bandaid". It is a very legitmate approach that will get you 90% of the way thousands and thousands of dollars of physical treaments will. For a setup like you currently have I guarantee you'll end up wanting to combine in some RTA system. There's also a program called REW which is really the creme de la creme of RTA software in terms of both freeware and payware:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

I would love to visit! haha. That might be a while if you're up in Canada... tempting though.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 23:01:00 Reply

At 11/7/11 03:00 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Why did you use cardboard?

To raise the tweeters up to my ear height. I made the stands three feet tall and they were still a bit too low, so I put cardboard underneath.

At 11/7/11 05:04 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: I'm curious as to why you have one monitor flipped sideways....I've known web designers/coders to do that, but what advantages in audio is there for that? Or do you just like it that way?

That's the way they were manufactured. You'll have to ask them, but I think the reason they did that was that so you get a better stereo image. The rule of thumb is to point the tweeters at your ears, so with this design, the mids and highs will go and meet at the ears in roughly the same place, while other designs will have the mids aimed at your nose or chest instead.\

I'm not sure, but that seems to be a logical reason. :P

At 11/7/11 10:43 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: I want to emphasize that in no way is RTA and corrective eq a "bandaid". It is a very legitmate approach that will get you 90% of the way thousands and thousands of dollars of physical treaments will. For a setup like you currently have I guarantee you'll end up wanting to combine in some RTA system.

You're right. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the tips!

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 23:04:01 Reply

At 11/7/11 05:01 PM, SCTE3 wrote: This is just beautiful so far. Is that FL Studio I see on both computers earlier on this page? Room setup seems to be coming along just amazingly. Nice room Rig. What else to do to it?

Yeah, that's FL. I'm using it and ProTools at the moment - a friend of a friend works for Avid, so I got a good deal. My next plans for the room will most likely be making a cloud or two. Clouds are absorbers that hang from the ceiling above the mix position.

But before then, I'll probably put a bunch of insulation above the drop ceiling in the corners to help with bass absorption. That'll cost a fair bit, though.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 23:06:13 Reply

At 11/7/11 05:04 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: I'm curious as to why you have one monitor flipped sideways....I've known web designers/coders to do that, but what advantages in audio is there for that? Or do you just like it that way?

Oh crap, I totally misread this question - I thought you were talking about the tweeter placement on my speakers. Darn you, "monitor" - why u so ambiguous in a studio setting?

I have the left monitor in portrait mode for websites, word processing, etc. It's way more efficient than landscape mode.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Rig's Room Treatment Adventures 2011-11-07 23:07:35 Reply

Was talking about your sideways computer screen....Not sure how you got sideways monitor speakers from that haha