00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BigAC293 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,080,121 Views | 77,369 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-27 19:07:12

At 1/12/15 09:24 PM, Twone wrote: Anyone here know of any good post black metal bands out there? (Besides Deafheaven, Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Lantlos)
Sólstafir and maybe it doesn't 100% count, but Agalloch.

Also, I noticed that MA labels Solefald as post-black metal, which I really don't know why. But they are one of my favorite bands ever and have possibly the most consistently perfect discography I know of starting with their second album.

"Make a change... Kill yourself" is pretty ambient DSBM that sounds almost post-rock
Agalloch does 100% count :D
Skeletonwitch is up there, I'd think. Melodic Death Metal, but it fits with the rest
Swamp Witch is pretty good too
Nagelfar
Xasthur, Leviathan, Panopticon
There's two bands which are projects of the same guy that aren't entirely black metal, but have elements of it
Have A Nice Life and Giles Corey
Both very ethereal sounding but damn dark they are.

A strong emphasis on underlining.

CLICK ME >>>>

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-28 20:41:03

At 1/24/15 04:11 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 1/21/15 11:54 PM, SubliminalVirus wrote: this seems like the best place to ask. Sorry if I'm wrong... just curious
The other day I was talking with someone about bands, the topic of "female fronted" bands came up.
It's not really much of an issue within metal music. Mallcore crap like In This Moment, which I came to refer to as titscore

Oh man, that's a great way to put it. I hate this crap so much. You can just tell the difference too, ALWAYS the female lead prominently featured and shit music. Even Otep in the past few years...

It'd be one thing if the music was good, but it often isn't. It's like they know this so they go with the only thing they've got. It makes me lose respect for the band instantly. Even if the music is good.

I mean, follow Arch Enemy on Facebook, and this is all I see. I'm not mad about it, but I'm not exactly happy about it either, know what I'm sayin?

Metal Hell

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-28 21:08:08 (edited 2015-01-28 21:11:16)

At 1/28/15 08:41 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: It'd be one thing if the music was good, but it often isn't. It's like they know this so they go with the only thing they've got. It makes me lose respect for the band instantly. Even if the music is good.

I mean, follow Arch Enemy on Facebook, and this is all I see. I'm not mad about it, but I'm not exactly happy about it either, know what I'm sayin?

I have a complicted relation to both Arch Enemy and Alissa. For one thing, I used to really like Arch Enemy, and I liked both Liiva and Gossow's material. And to be honest, Angela Gossow really did build her own career up, and even if such a female vocalist is bound to gain success specifically because of her gender (and considering just how little women there are in metal), she did a great job and released a few good albums with the band.

Alissa, on the other hand, is a girl who can perform well, but she needed a band to get where she was. Being a metal doll can only get you so far. But she left The Agonist when Arch Enemy "recruited" her, and I insist on the word recruited. She was not a friend of anyone in the band, and by the time she joined the band, Arch Enemy came to rely heavily on their image, and at this point, they couldn't step out of the "female fronted metal" league they were now playing in, just like Nightwish couldn't do without a female vocalist to replace Tarja (even though they stated repeatedly that it didn't matter if their next vocalist was a man or a woman, they only had female vocalists since Tarja's departure... it might be a coincidence though...). So when Alissa joined, it was just plain obvious that the requirements for the job were not just the vocals.

I'm also from the province of Quebec, just like Alissa. Her previous band, The Agonist, was from a town not far from where I live. I liked their first release, and her vocals were great. But right from the start, this band relied on Alissa to market themselves. Alissa is also not a person I like. She's selfish and has ego issues... plus, she seems to be totally fine with dishing the band that helped her get recognition whenever the opportunity arisew. She also used to hang out with her thug-attitude doucher of a (now ex-) boyfriend (one of the vocalits from Despised Icon) at metal concerts. They made a very bad impression on me. Alex with his wigger attitude and angry face, and Alissa under her fuckton of make up and complex goth outfits. They came out to me as lame posers... some kind of dumb celebrity couple, but for a scene that's not, and should never be about "being the coolest kids". That's just... pop music level...

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-29 00:12:25

I know I'm the last one who posted, but I need to share some great stuff again. These are bands I've known for a good time now, but I think they need a lot of good exposure.

The black metal that is produced in Quebec is absolute gold! We have a great black metal scene that is worth exploring. I just wanted to share a few names and tracks for you.

Miserere Luminis - Ciel Tragique
Miserere Luminis was a side-project of two other great black metal bands named Sombres Forêts (Dark Forest in French) and Gris (Grey in French). Both bands are depressive black metal outfits, but I think that their common effort under the banner Miserere Luminis is standing out as the most complete, most defined, and most unique effort. They have absolutely memorable guitar riffs, killer vocals and a great general ambiance to their music. The track I shared is one of their great tracks, and the title could be translated to something like Tragic Sky.

Monarque - Un Essaim de Corbeaux
Rawer Black Metal then Miserere Luminis, but the abrasive, aggressive and dark tone is only matched by their quality song-writing. Again, magnificent guitar riffs, a solid flow, no down moments, only a great succession of riffs, and the progression is always good within their tracks. This specific track title could be translated to A Flock Of Crows.

There are countless other good tracks by these bands, but if you like what you hear, you'll easily find more on YouTube and elsewhere, so. Tell me if you enjoy!

Miserere Luminis - Cineris

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-29 09:51:19

At 1/28/15 09:08 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I have a complicted relation to both Arch Enemy and Alissa.

Wow...so it's even worse than I thought.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-29 15:42:24

At 1/29/15 09:51 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 1/28/15 09:08 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I have a complicted relation to both Arch Enemy and Alissa.
Wow...so it's even worse than I thought.

How so?

Response to Metal Hell 2015-01-31 23:09:53

At 1/22/15 08:58 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Sometimes if they aren't using sex appeal, bands will milk the fact that they have a woman who does harsh vocals. That said, some bands do have women that do harsh vocals well and they make good music despite what many may assume.

Two words. Acid King. S'all I have to say about that. Lori S is a great vocalist and honestly an even better guitarist.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-04 13:01:30

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-04 13:13:53

At 2/4/15 01:01 PM, Viper wrote: New Ufomammut

Man that is just fantastic.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-04 14:05:12

Been having Blind Guardian's new album playing non-stop over the last few days. I'm trying to not overpraise it or anything seeing as they're my favourite metal band but it's just that fucking great! Really should get this on vinyl when spendings are quiet. It definitely blows the water out of the last few albums of theirs, although they are still really enjoyable records to me. Only complaint I have with it is the placing of the bonus track in the middle of the album which makes it stick out like a sore thumb but that aside, it's an enjoyable listen for sure.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-07 02:46:56

So I have been on vacation the last two weeks, and I was pleasantly surprised by what I got in the mail.

Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
Church of Misery - The Second Coming (bonus is I got my mum into them as well haha)
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene

And this one deserves last place because I was sadly very displeased in it
Solefald - The Circular Drain
I liked the 4 songs of theirs on it, but the remixes were just complete trash. Why I gave up the opportunity to pick up an Icelandic Odyssey part 1 I will never know sadly.

But regardless that is what I've been listening to since I got back. Have a good day fellas

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-07 16:37:51

At 2/7/15 02:46 AM, twistex wrote: Mirrorthrone - Gangrene

That's a great album.

Solefald - The Circular Drain

I never heard that compilation, just their full length albums, which are all excellent. Although they apparently just released a new album less than a week ago that I had no idea was coming. I know Havoc Unit was involved in the Circular Drain. Their album h.IV+ (Hoarse Industrial Viremia) is actually pretty good industrial black metal. And I think Svein Egil Hatlevik (as Zweizz) was also involved. He's one half of the band Fleurety (the other half being Alexander Nordgaren). I would strongly reccomend the albums Min Tid Skal Komme and Department of Apocalyptic Affairs (moreso the former) for those interested in avant garde metal. Great stuff. I'm not crazy about their demos or EPs, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-11 14:40:58

At 2/4/15 02:05 PM, Murray wrote: Been having Blind Guardian's new album playing non-stop over the last few days. I'm trying to not overpraise it or anything seeing as they're my favourite metal band but it's just that fucking great! Really should get this on vinyl when spendings are quiet. It definitely blows the water out of the last few albums of theirs, although they are still really enjoyable records to me. Only complaint I have with it is the placing of the bonus track in the middle of the album which makes it stick out like a sore thumb but that aside, it's an enjoyable listen for sure.

Is it me or are they one of the rare older power metal bands (I know they aren't plain and simple power metal and that they mix thrash metal into the mix two) to still release good material? It might be because it's a genre that interests me less and less over the years, but isn't it kind of a... dying genre? I'm asking because it's not a genre that I'm keeping up with and from the very little I know about what was released on the scene in the last 7-8 years or so, it isn't exactly a genre that is evolving/progressing a lot anymore. Anyway, your thoughts?

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-12 18:48:01 (edited 2015-02-12 18:53:58)

Hey. So someone I know is writing a paper on metal music and wanted me to ask some stuff in places I frequent so she can get some insight into what other people think and feel when it comes to the genre.

Here goes
-What drew you in to metal?
-A study in the UK said some people consider heavy metal as a religion, would you agree? Why or why not?
-What do you see differently in metalheads that you DON'T see in people who don't listen to metal?(such as personality and characteristics)
-What does the aggressive nature of the music/shows provide to you?
-What would you be doing if metal hadn't existed?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-13 15:39:51

At 2/12/15 06:48 PM, Viper wrote: Here goes

Had a few friends back in high school who were big metalheads. They got me to listen to a lot of the classics and such, from there I explored various different subgenres. These days I pretty much only listen to stoner/doom, but nostalgia gets the best of me now and then.

-A study in the UK said some people consider heavy metal as a religion, would you agree? Why or why not?

I don't. Liking metal isn't the focal point of my life, but it's a part of my life. For some people, it is and there's nothing wrong with that. To each his/her own.

-What do you see differently in metalheads that you DON'T see in people who don't listen to metal?(such as personality and characteristics)

Although I hate to say it, a majority the 'metalheads' i've met in real life have been jackasses to some extent (including aforementioned high school friends). There's this childish superiority complex I see in a lot of 'metalheads' I met day to day. Of course, there's places like here where people are pretty cool about this, can have great discussion, etc. Every fanbase has it's assholes though, maybe I'm just unlucky in having met a lot of them.

I find that they can contribute to the vibe/atmosphere of whatever it is I'm doing. I enjoy listening to the music, although the aggressiveness of it has little and less to do with it.

The same thing I'm doing now, sans-metal.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-13 18:46:47

At 2/12/15 06:48 PM, Viper wrote: -What drew you in to metal?

I've always liked it for as long as I can remember.

I can see similarities to religion, but wouldn't go so far as to say that heavy metal IS a religion.

I feel safer around the most crazy looking "metal head" e.g. spikes, tatts, chains, etc. than I do around any religious person. They just seem a lot more chill and accepting than many other groups.

For a while it was to express my anger. Now, I don't know, depends on the band. I'm listening to Death right now, and it's just good music to have on while working.

I probably wouldn't have gotten through some tough times.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-14 01:38:47

At 2/12/15 06:48 PM, Viper wrote: Hey. So someone I know is writing a paper on metal music and wanted me to ask some stuff in places I frequent so she can get some insight into what other people think and feel when it comes to the genre.

Alright :)

When I was a teenager, metal appeared to me as some kind of barbaric, violent and incoherent stuff. That was most likely because of how little metal there is in the mainstream musical media like on television and on the radio. Plus, the attention given to metal in these media is generally focused on the aggressiveness and violence, just like if there was nothing else in the song-writing, riffing, etc. So I was pretty much repulsed by metal. I kind of got "tricked" into metal by a friend sending me tracks by the band Kalmah and referring to it as "instrumental music with weird vocals". I instantly loved the band, and later realized that it was a metal band. What drew me in was the focus on instrumentation, the complexity of it and the sound construction required to write good rhythm and lead guitars, to make them match with the drums, bass and vocals, is most likely what drew me in. Compared to the music I had heard on the radio until then, it was pure genius. The focus was less on vocals, more on the music, and even then, the vocals were awesome and unique!

I don't think metal is a religion. But like religion, metal is pretty hard to define. It is a very broad concept, and there is not commonly accepted definition as to what is metal, just like it is very difficult to tell what defines a religion. But in metal music there isn't a specific set of beliefs explaining what the meaning of life is, what is the meaning of existence, where it comes from, etc. The idea that metal would be some kind of religion is, to me, at best kind of funny. I perceive it more as a way to say that the people who love it, love it with a passion, and a lot of them, devote their life to it. Some wear bands t-shirts, have long hair, they all raise the metal horns for their favorite bands. In a way, metalheads do share cultural traits, but that's not something that only religions have. Bottom line, I think it's a catchphrase, but I wouldn't call it a religion myself.

Generally speaking, metalheads are introspective and love arts in it's various forms. I've said countless times in the pass, and I will say it again, that metalheads usually are fans of music and not just metal. Metalheads usually like a lot of electronic music, rock (progressive rock, post-rock, etc.), jazz (free form or more traditional jazz), old classical music, but also contemporary classical, and more. Metalheads are like their music, in constant motion, evolving, at the avant-garde, going forward to meeting new people, new music styles, and maybe mix these new music styles to their own to make the music evolve continuously. Metalheads are also pretty open people in general. Not very judgemental, but kind and caring. They often have deep convictions though, and they can be a little rough when you say bad stuff about what they like and believe, especially if you don't have good manners!

Initially, probably some kind of freedom, a catharsis, a raw passion that helps emotionally speaking. But this passion also frees the music, and breaks a lot of bounds. It helps the music in the sense that it can be very contrasted in terms of emotion, ranging from happiness and hope, to anguish and despair. And since there aren't limitations in terms of aggressiveness and brutality, the music can use these elements to write loud, heavy, pounding riffs that just wouldn't fit anywhere else. It kind of becomes a song-writing tool, and also a story-telling tool. For a metalhead who's used to it, the aggressiveness might lose it's abrasive, antagonizing "in your face" vibe, to become just a great tool to make music interesting. Death growls, for example, aren't just there to constantly remember you that the vocalist is angry or whatever, they are also there because of how they sound, how they mix with the thick distortion wall of sound created by the guitars. So again, the aggressive nature of "some" (and I insist on the some) metal music, can pretty much be something as simple as a tool used to explore music in a different way.

I'm not trying to avoid answering the question here, but I think there would be some other music that would have explored what really needed to be explored. If metal wasn't there, there would be a gap to fill in music. If it didn't exist, it would have to be created! So I guess I would have felt melancholy, I would have felt the gaping hole in the universe, left by the absence of something that should have been there.

But again, I think it was kind of impossible for humanity to avoid creating metal music. If you look at just all the influences metal has taken from blues, hard rock, jazz, classical music, etc., you can't do anything but realize that all these genres were setting things up for metal. Hard rock was getting heavier and heavier, throwing in distortion all over the place, the vocals were energetic, powerful and crazy. Blues was getting dirtier, classical music had always flirted with heavyness, massive and organic sounds, and jazz was creative, free, wild, experimental. In four words: Metal had to happen!

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-16 18:49:51

At 2/12/15 06:48 PM, Viper wrote: Hey. So someone I know is writing a paper on metal music and wanted me to ask some stuff in places I frequent so she can get some insight into what other people think and feel when it comes to the genre.

Here goes

Well, I posted about my getting into metal here. A friend of mine in high school got me into a couple of metal bands and the internet took it from there. Before that, I was only really into Pantera, Fear Factory and a bunch of nu-metal/metalcore type stuff.

No

I haven't really known that many serious metal heads to see a trend.

I dunno what to say to that. I just listen to what my ears like. I've been to a handful of shows, but only one metal show (2 metal bands, 3 rock bands) and that was at the Loft, which is a very relaxed and mellow venue and I got hammered and jumped around and shoved my friend while everyone was just standing there nodding. I posted about that here. Also here. lol Reading that reminded me of some details I had since forgotten. I treated booze like such a dumb asshole then.

As far as with music? I guess I would try to fill the void with more prog rock, stoner rock and I guess American hardcore punk and I'd probably know a lot more about those genres.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-17 17:59:37

At 2/11/15 02:40 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 2/4/15 02:05 PM, Murray wrote: Been having Blind Guardian's new album playing non-stop over the last few days. I'm trying to not overpraise it or anything seeing as they're my favourite metal band but it's just that fucking great! Really should get this on vinyl when spendings are quiet. It definitely blows the water out of the last few albums of theirs, although they are still really enjoyable records to me. Only complaint I have with it is the placing of the bonus track in the middle of the album which makes it stick out like a sore thumb but that aside, it's an enjoyable listen for sure.
Is it me or are they one of the rare older power metal bands (I know they aren't plain and simple power metal and that they mix thrash metal into the mix two) to still release good material? It might be because it's a genre that interests me less and less over the years, but isn't it kind of a... dying genre? I'm asking because it's not a genre that I'm keeping up with and from the very little I know about what was released on the scene in the last 7-8 years or so, it isn't exactly a genre that is evolving/progressing a lot anymore. Anyway, your thoughts?

I actually agree with you on some of those thoughts. I can't seem to find so much good power metal in the modern age (talking about the last 3-4 years) but perhaps I've overlooked a lot of gems out there. However, power metal has always had that stigma for me where 9 times out of 10 anything I truly love from the subgenre are from the main bands. Only power metal band from recent years that I've liked that aren't one of the big ones is Orden Ogan but it could be that there are loads of stuff that I've overlooked.

As for Blind Guardian, they're one of those bands that no matter what they do I will always enjoy their work and even to this day I still defend A Twist in the Myth. Yes, there's been those times where they were different from what they are now, particularly in the 80s but every release they've put out has been gold to me. Prior to the new album I knew that they were a band that could do no wrong to me but after Beyond the Red Mirror, I'm more assured now that they're my favourite metal band out of them all. Almost ten years of listening to their music and they still stand taller over everything else to me.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-02-18 19:53:38 (edited 2015-02-18 19:54:13)

Scorpions' 18th album. "Return to Forever" is coming out on February! If you pre ordered it, that's great! Hope you enjoy Scorpions' new album!

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-06 17:13:33

Wow. No ones posted in here for awhile.
That simply will not do.

Acid King are releasing a new album. Their first in 10 years.
Middle Of Nowhere, Center Of Everywhere is going to be released April 14th.
As of right now a song has been released off of it.
Red River

Metal Hell

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-07 10:09:04

At 3/6/15 05:13 PM, Viper wrote: Wow. No ones posted in here for awhile.
That simply will not do.

Agreed.

Acid King are releasing a new album.

I listened not my sort of thing but not bad.

I've been really digging this track a band called Slice the Cake just released. In fact, I'm not even sure it's a band. It might just be a couple guys who collaborate over the internet.

This Bloodbath track has played a few times this week too. Pretty brutal but I swear these guys are just parodying Cannibal Corpse.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-07 15:38:03

At 3/7/15 10:09 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: I listened not my sort of thing but not bad.

That is fair. What about....THIS though?
Electric Citizen - Light Years Beyond

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-07 22:18:47

I saw Benighted live in Montreal, 4 days ago. It was a very good show! I'm quite satisfied with the setlist and the band's performance. Julien Truchan is a fascinating vocalist. He's got so much power and endurance, and he also have great presence on stage.

But I just realized today that Benighted has worked with Niklas Kvarforth from the band Shining, on their newest record. He's just doing additional vocals on one of the tracks, but I'm still not liking this collaboration.

If anyone isn't familiar with Shining, I recommend reading their trivia on Metal Archives, and Kvarforth's bio. Long story short, the guy harms himself badly on stage, promotes suicide in his music, and seems to be totally fine with the idea that some people might have killed themselves because of his music. I don't know if he means it or not, and I don't really care. There is a line for me between talking about suicide, having characters in your music talking about suicide, and actually encouraging suicide and self-harm. I'm also not interested in Shining's music for that reason.

I'm not really fond of the idea of having Benighted play a track with him. I think that all bands would do well to stay away from this guy.

Any thoughts on this?

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-08 14:26:18

At 3/7/15 03:38 PM, Viper wrote: Electric Citizen - Light Years Beyond

Eh it's OK, but it doesn't really do it for me. I like having this stuff on in the background sometimes when I work though.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-11 18:40:15

At 3/8/15 02:26 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 3/7/15 03:38 PM, Viper wrote: Electric Citizen - Light Years Beyond
Eh it's OK, but it doesn't really do it for me. I like having this stuff on in the background sometimes when I work though.

Yeah same here. Or really anything Space Rock or whatever.

is your icon supposed to be John Wayne Gacy as Pogo?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-11 18:44:18

At 3/11/15 06:40 PM, Viper wrote:

Haha no, someone drew me with clown paint once and I think it's funny.

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-11 18:48:17

At 3/11/15 06:44 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 3/11/15 06:40 PM, Viper wrote:
Haha no, someone drew me with clown paint once and I think it's funny.

Ah okay haha. Looks a bit like Pogo though.

i share my birthday with JWG

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-16 21:25:43

I'm looking for a way to explore Cannibal Corpse's work a little deeper. I'm a big fan of Tomb Of The Mutilated, but I don't know how to approach the rest of their work, or which albums I should be looking to get next.

So, what I'm asking you guys to do is to maybe rank the albums based on your own tastes, or maybe just tell me which one are your favorites and why. K thx bye!

Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face

Response to Metal Hell 2015-03-16 22:26:07

If anyone cares, there isn't going to be a 5th season of Metalocalypse. Which is a load of bs.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature