00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,058,826 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-10 20:30:13

At 4/4/17 10:35 PM, StaticSkull wrote: https://youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk
Just got into these guys

Just getting into Pantera? I know some metalheads out there don't like them, but I love them. I recommend picking up every album they've done, including their glam stuff from the 80's.

Did you just put your balls on my sandwich?

Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-10 20:34:35

At 4/10/17 08:30 PM, Lost-Thought wrote:
Just got into these guys
Just getting into Pantera? I know some metalheads out there don't like them, but I love them. I recommend picking up every album they've done, including their glam stuff from the 80's.

Damn! They've been around that long?

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-10 22:30:34

At 4/10/17 08:34 PM, StaticSkull wrote:
At 4/10/17 08:30 PM, Lost-Thought wrote:
Just got into these guys
Damn! They've been around that long?

Yep, I think it was 83 that they formed, but they didn't get signed until Cowboys from Hell in 1990 I am pretty sure.

Did you just put your balls on my sandwich?

Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-10 22:31:38

At 4/10/17 10:30 PM, Lost-Thought wrote: Yep, I think it was 83 that they formed, but they didn't get signed until Cowboys from Hell in 1990 I am pretty sure.

Ya learn something new everyday

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-11 00:22:45

At 4/10/17 10:30 PM, Lost-Thought wrote:
At 4/10/17 08:34 PM, StaticSkull wrote: Damn! They've been around that long?
Yep, I think it was 83 that they formed, but they didn't get signed until Cowboys from Hell in 1990 I am pretty sure.

1981 actually. They released their first album Metal Magic in 1983 with Terry Glaze on vocals.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-11 20:40:48

I'm mostly just into Cowboys From Hell, but Vulgar Display of Power's got good stuff.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-13 18:54:53

At 4/11/17 08:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm mostly just into Cowboys From Hell, but Vulgar Display of Power's got good stuff.

Same here... They've got Cemetary Gates that's also pretty good... but I have no kind of interest for pretty much everything else they've made.

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-13 22:43:41

At 4/13/17 06:54 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/11/17 08:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm mostly just into Cowboys From Hell, but Vulgar Display of Power's got good stuff.
Same here... They've got Cemetary Gates that's also pretty good... but I have no kind of interest for pretty much everything else they've made.

Oh, I meant I like the whole Cowboys From Hell album, including Cemetary Gates, of course. I got it when I was like 11 or 12. Still love it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-15 23:14:23

At 4/13/17 10:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Oh, I meant I like the whole Cowboys From Hell album, including Cemetary Gates, of course. I got it when I was like 11 or 12. Still love it.

Yeah, it seems obvious that's what you meant, haha. Dunno why I read it otherwise :P

Response to Metal Hell 2017-04-21 21:36:48

I like spaghetti.....that makes me pretty brutal right?

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-02 06:20:20

Just got into these guys

Listen to every song from every band phil anselmo has ever been in and forget about the other members side projects.
discover the whole southern sludge scene in fact..
heres some to get you started

Eyehategod
Crowbar
Acid Bath
Down
haarp
Buzzoven
Alabama thunderpussy

the list goes on, greatest music in the world. You can thank me later.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-08 02:56:58

Just saw Sabaton for the first time, fuck what an energy those guys have live, had two great bands open for them as well, Euro Power Metal is a great thing to see live.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-24 15:32:52

At 5/8/17 02:56 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Just saw Sabaton for the first time, fuck what an energy those guys have live, had two great bands open for them as well, Euro Power Metal is a great thing to see live.

I find Sabaton to be extremely overrated. I'm also not getting the sudden hype for them. They've been around for ages, but it's only been a year or two since the craze caught on. It's not like their music is getting any better, and it's not like they are evolving somewhere as a band. They keep recording highly similar records and somehow, their popularity is increasing.

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-24 16:27:50

At 5/24/17 03:32 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I find Sabaton to be extremely overrated. I'm also not getting the sudden hype for them. They've been around for ages, but it's only been a year or two since the craze caught on. It's not like their music is getting any better, and it's not like they are evolving somewhere as a band. They keep recording highly similar records and somehow, their popularity is increasing.

I just like em myself. I don't know why people go so crazy about them though. I saw them live with Skeletonwitch and Amon Amarth a few years ago and they got about as big of a reaction as the latter.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-24 18:07:48

At 5/24/17 04:27 PM, Viper wrote:
At 5/24/17 03:32 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I find Sabaton to be extremely overrated. I'm also not getting the sudden hype for them. They've been around for ages, but it's only been a year or two since the craze caught on. It's not like their music is getting any better, and it's not like they are evolving somewhere as a band. They keep recording highly similar records and somehow, their popularity is increasing.
I just like em myself. I don't know why people go so crazy about them though. I saw them live with Skeletonwitch and Amon Amarth a few years ago and they got about as big of a reaction as the latter.

I don't hate them per se, I just think the hype is way too big for what they are actually contributing to metal. 9gag sure seems to love them.

Oh, and by the way, Sigh's Hangman Hymn is ten years old!

Spin it for old times sakes!
Sigh - "Hangman's Hymn - Musikalische Exequien"

Metal Hell

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-25 01:27:23

At 5/24/17 03:32 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I find Sabaton to be extremely overrated. I'm also not getting the sudden hype for them. They've been around for ages, but it's only been a year or two since the craze caught on. It's not like their music is getting any better, and it's not like they are evolving somewhere as a band. They keep recording highly similar records and somehow, their popularity is increasing.

People are coming around to that taste, I was never a big fan of them until I saw them live, it was an amazing show.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-25 01:37:21

At 5/25/17 01:27 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: People are coming around to that taste, I was never a big fan of them until I saw them live, it was an amazing show.

I'm still not getting the hype.

I undestand how this kind of music can be cool for live gigs, but it's not like all their fans saw them live, and why are people suddenly interested in them? It seems to have just happened without anything specific really happening to get them such recognition. They've been around for almost 20 years releasing same-y material over the entirety of their career...

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-25 01:47:41

At 5/25/17 01:37 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I undestand how this kind of music can be cool for live gigs, but it's not like all their fans saw them live, and why are people suddenly interested in them? It seems to have just happened without anything specific really happening to get them such recognition. They've been around for almost 20 years releasing same-y material over the entirety of their career...

To be fair they have been very successful in Europe, it's just starting to bleed over to North America now.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-25 13:18:24

Oh, and by the way, Sigh's Hangman Hymn is ten years old!

Spin it for old times sakes!
Sigh - "Hangman's Hymn - Musikalische Exequien"

Damn son, I've never heard this band before but I am digging this. It's like a more intense Strapping Young Lad. Probably gonna listen to more of this.

Speaking of Strapping Young Lad, what does everyone think of Devin around here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Response to Metal Hell 2017-05-25 21:55:23 (edited 2017-05-25 22:05:15)

At 5/25/17 01:47 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: To be fair they have been very successful in Europe, it's just starting to bleed over to North America now.

Oh, I know they've always been pretty successful. But right now they seem to be getting a lot of recognition from music fans who rarely ever go past Slipknot, Rammstein, Metallica, Iron Maiden and Amon Amarth when it comes to metal music. It's kind of weird to see kids who know jackshit about power metal getting so excited about them all of a sudden. I've not seen a power metal band get such hype outside of their traditionnal fanbase since DragonForce's presence on a Guitar Hero game.

At 5/25/17 01:18 PM, ConnorGrail wrote: Damn son, I've never heard this band before but I am digging this. It's like a more intense Strapping Young Lad. Probably gonna listen to more of this.

Sigh is a pretty amazing beast! All of their albums are quite different from one another so you might not find the same exact sounnd on other releases, but if you're willing to explore an amazing discography, I'd recommend listening to their album Imaginary Sonicscape. And if you're looking for something similar to Hangman's Hymn, you might enjoy Scenes From Hell.

I've always kind of liked his music, but at the same time I've always felt like I was "not really getting it". Like there was always something I was not fully grasping and appreciating like I would have liked to appreciate it.

Ever get that feeling? That feeling that you should be enjoying something more than what you actually are? Typically what it means for me is that I have to keep listening to it, or try other records and tracks by the same artist/band to fully appreciate it's work.

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-08 09:21:50

Oh yeah @HeavenDuff I have a copy of both Heavy Rocks albums now. The orange one cost me over $40 with shipping which was the cheapest copy I could find at the moment. I randomly remembered talking about that with you a long ass time ago. Apparently it's never been pressed on vinyl and that cd is the only time they made physical copies of the album. Weird.

Metal Hell

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-09 12:30:39 (edited 2017-06-09 12:42:43)

At 6/8/17 09:21 AM, Viper wrote: Oh yeah @HeavenDuff I have a copy of both Heavy Rocks albums now. The orange one cost me over $40 with shipping which was the cheapest copy I could find at the moment.

The first one? I never owned a physical copy, but I've had it for a long time. It's one of the best stoner metal or rock albums of all time and the main reason I love Boris.

At 5/2/17 06:20 AM, ClandestineTemple wrote: Acid Bath

Fuckin' A.

Don't forget Georgia, though. Kylesa, Baroness, Mastodon, Black Tusk. Bummer Kylesa broke up, but they went out with a great album.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-09 16:04:14

At 6/9/17 12:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 6/8/17 09:21 AM, Viper wrote: Oh yeah @HeavenDuff I have a copy of both Heavy Rocks albums now. The orange one cost me over $40 with shipping which was the cheapest copy I could find at the moment.
The first one? I never owned a physical copy, but I've had it for a long time. It's one of the best stoner metal or rock albums of all time and the main reason I love Boris.

It's actually one of the albums that got me really into the whole genre beyond shit like Kyuss, Sleep, Acid King, etc.

At 5/2/17 06:20 AM, ClandestineTemple wrote: Acid Bath
Fuckin' A.

Don't forget Georgia, though. Kylesa, Baroness, Mastodon, Black Tusk. Bummer Kylesa broke up, but they went out with a great album.

I wish I could have seen Kylesa once before they broke up. But what can ya do? Also Pete Adams left Baroness.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-09 17:44:54 (edited 2017-06-09 17:51:32)

My favorite metal subgenre is stoner/doom metal.
Sleep - Jerusalem

I also love black metal, war metal, and tech thrash.

Sigh - Infidel Art
Revenge (Can) - Scum.Collapse.Eradication
Aspid - Effusion of Blood / Extravasation

normalgeist-villsvin

Art - Music - Podcast

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-14 19:22:00

At 6/8/17 09:21 AM, Viper wrote: Oh yeah @HeavenDuff I have a copy of both Heavy Rocks albums now. The orange one cost me over $40 with shipping which was the cheapest copy I could find at the moment. I randomly remembered talking about that with you a long ass time ago. Apparently it's never been pressed on vinyl and that cd is the only time they made physical copies of the album. Weird.

I remember dreaming that I bought the first Heavy Rocks, haha :P I'd love to get my hands on this album someday! But it's still a pretty expensive album to buy. It's cool that you got it though!

I really like Heavy Rocks II, but the first one is one of the most amazing records ever made!

At 6/9/17 12:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: The first one? I never owned a physical copy, but I've had it for a long time. It's one of the best stoner metal or rock albums of all time and the main reason I love Boris.

It is!

Pink is also quite memorable.

At 6/9/17 04:04 PM, Viper wrote: It's actually one of the albums that got me really into the whole genre beyond shit like Kyuss, Sleep, Acid King, etc.

I got into Sleep pretty late, haha! I had been listening to stuff like Bongripper, Electric Wizard and Boris for a while before I actually gave these guys a proper listen. It's pretty weird how I often skip on the big bands when I first get into a new genre.

At 6/9/17 05:44 PM, normalgeist wrote: My favorite metal subgenre is stoner/doom metal.
Sleep - Jerusalem

Cool :) You're right on time for a stoner doom discussion!

I also love black metal, war metal, and tech thrash.

Tech thrash? Like Vektor or Watchtower? Any other bands to recommend in the genre?

What bm do you like?

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-14 20:08:16

Tech thrash? Like Vektor or Watchtower? Any other bands to recommend in the genre?

What bm do you like?

I love old school tech thrash like Atheist, Aspid, and Obliveon. Vektor's amazing too and Terminal Redux was the best metal album of 2016 imo.

In terms of bm, I love avant-garde or atmospheric black metal, with my favorite bm band being Sigh. Vattnet Viskar, Saor, Blut Aus Nord, and Peste Noire are also highly recommended.

normalgeist-villsvin

Art - Music - Podcast

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-15 04:15:15

At 6/14/17 08:16 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: hmmmm... black metal... about fucking time...

I just watched halfway of a black metal documentary its on youtube for free it's pretty cool it follows around fenriz for a bit and talks to varg.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-21 07:56:49

Today I've listened to In Flames for the first time. It was great... until their vocalist opened mouth and started singing.

I will never understand Death Metal, sorry guys.

Phimosis

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-21 08:07:11

"Ocean Machine: Biomech" is my favourite work of Devin Townsend. I especially like "Funeral".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIMlGub4F4

Phimosis

Response to Metal Hell 2017-06-21 08:50:32

At 6/21/17 07:56 AM, MysteryG wrote: Today I've listened to In Flames for the first time. It was great... until their vocalist opened mouth and started singing.

I will never understand Death Metal, sorry guys.

Are In Flames considered "Death Metal"? I thought they were under that "Alternative Metal" umbrella that bands like Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, Dope, Chevelle, etc are put in.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature