00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YvesKirio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,072,852 Views | 77,367 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-21 19:49:38

At 1 hour ago, Anti-pie wrote: Just Picked up Dying Fetus-Descend Into Depravity and Ted Nugents first album. I always pick up the most random combination of CD's. Get a Brutal Death Metal album and Rock album. Even the employees at the CD shop I go to mention this. I picked up a ZZ Top and a SYL album one time and the guy was like ZZ Top and SYL? That's a weird combination. I must agree.

Yeah, cause people who listen to Hard Rock only listen to Hard Rock and those who listen to Brutal Death Metal only listen to Brutal Death Metal, everybody knows that !

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-21 19:55:27

At 14 minutes ago, Zodir wrote: So, I've been listening to a lot of Cynic lately, and it rekindled how much I love both albums. But what I want to know is why Traced In Air gets a lot of crap from fans. Anyone know why?

Because it isn't like Focus. Or more like, it isn't the same genre of metal. Focus had more Death Metal elements and maybe the mix of Prog, Death and Jazz elements with the unique touch of Cynic (thanks to Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal) was what the fans of Focus were expecting for the next album. And this is not what they gave us. It is less agressive, more spacey, it has more textures and doesn't feel just as dm as Focus. I even remember highly disliking it for a long time, until I accepted it didn't need to be just like Focus. Maybe some of their fans might think that this is a kind of commercial sell-out or that it lacks personnality when the dm elements are taken out. I don't know. But I can understand why it received lots of critics, even though I really like it today :)

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-21 20:14:45

At 15 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Because it isn't like Focus. Or more like, it isn't the same genre of metal. Focus had more Death Metal elements and maybe the mix of Prog, Death and Jazz elements with the unique touch of Cynic (thanks to Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal) was what the fans of Focus were expecting for the next album. And this is not what they gave us. It is less agressive, more spacey, it has more textures and doesn't feel just as dm as Focus. I even remember highly disliking it for a long time, until I accepted it didn't need to be just like Focus. Maybe some of their fans might think that this is a kind of commercial sell-out or that it lacks personnality when the dm elements are taken out. I don't know. But I can understand why it received lots of critics, even though I really like it today :)

That's what I thought, but I wanted to see if it was just me. I was starting to think, "Am I weird for loving Traced In Air?' I just really love the spacey textures. I feel like it is almost two different bands, with these two tracks. I mean, Iron Maiden isn't Black Sabbath or Priest, but that doesn't stop them from being amazing, right? Different isn't necessarily a bad thing. I feel like Focus is a better record overall, but Traced In Air is such a relaxing album that has great ambiance. Seriously, it is like the chillest metal album ever.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-21 20:23:23

You know how a lot of people say Discharge was some of the most extreme stuff around at the time, and how it took a while for metal to catch up. Well check this shit out, 1982 demo, first use of blast-beats (other than perhaps Attila or the Albert Ayler stuff, according to wiki), and not even the debut release by them. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but you can't deny it's heavy as fuck. It's pretty amazing how much heavier crust/d-beat/hardcore was than metal. I can only imagine how much even heavier stuff exists within the forgotten underground.

So, what do you guys think was the first release to outdo the extremity of what you just heard?

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-21 20:56:11

I prefer Traced in Air a lot more than Focus. I honestly don't think death growls work that well with Cynic.

Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below

Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away

Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-21 23:19:46

At 3 hours ago, Zodir wrote: So, I've been listening to a lot of Cynic lately, and it rekindled how much I love both albums. But what I want to know is why Traced In Air gets a lot of crap from fans. Anyone know why?

Personally, I don't like that album much because I think the mixing on it is fucking terrible.

Most people dislike it though because it's more like BTBAM worship than Focus, which is jazzie-proggie-weird-oldschool death metal.

Also, LOL @ "death metal vocals don't belong in Cynic".

In other news, this is pretty funny.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 01:16:14

At 1 hour ago, AniMetal wrote: Personally, I don't like that album much because I think the mixing on it is fucking terrible.

Really?

Most people dislike it though because it's more like BTBAM worship than Focus, which is jazzie-proggie-weird-oldschool death metal.

I always thought it worked the other way around...

Also, LOL @ "death metal vocals don't belong in Cynic".

I will have to agree on this. Focus has some of the best metal vocals OF ALL TIME !!!

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 01:27:49

At 4 hours ago, Zodir wrote: That's what I thought, but I wanted to see if it was just me. I was starting to think, "Am I weird for loving Traced In Air?' I just really love the spacey textures. I feel like it is almost two different bands, with these two tracks. I mean, Iron Maiden isn't Black Sabbath or Priest, but that doesn't stop them from being amazing, right? Different isn't necessarily a bad thing. I feel like Focus is a better record overall, but Traced In Air is such a relaxing album that has great ambiance. Seriously, it is like the chillest metal album ever.

I think their fans generally like both albums. At least from whait I saw at their gig. People were singing along to tracks from both albums, and enjoying all of their material in general.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 01:40:03

At 1 day ago, Viper50 wrote: how have is it ive never heard of them before O:

For some reason, they're not well known at all. And apparently, one of the members was the person who picked up Varg after he killed Euronymus. I forget which person it was, though. Also, Nordgaren performed with Mayhem live.

At 1 day ago, HeavenDuff wrote: I've been right to trust you in the past, I will do it again. Dude, you have the best taste in music ever :P

aww shucks. thanks.

At 2 hours ago, AniMetal wrote: In other news, this is pretty funny.

hah. I like those stuff people say videos. This is one of my favorites. This is another favorite of mine.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 04:21:36

At 8 hours ago, Zodir wrote: So, I've been listening to a lot of Cynic lately, and it rekindled how much I love both albums. But what I want to know is why Traced In Air gets a lot of crap from fans. Anyone know why?

Bad songwriting. Noodle fetishist modern tech-death influenced crap. More noodling. I could go on.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 07:15:13

Thanks to getting Hammers of Misfortune's Unholy Cadaver demo album, I finally own a vinyl record myself. I used my dad's vinyl records many times when I was a kid but none of them were actually mine. This one, however, will be kept in good condition for sure. However, the structure of my room's shelves has no appropriate place to keep this anywhere.

At 15 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: A statement on their official website explained that Tony Iommi's battle with lymphoma is responsible for the cancellations, though their appearance at Download Festival will continue as planned.

My sister is really reluctant with festivals but we may have to go to this one as it may be our only ever chance to even see them live. There may not be a next time.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 11:43:50

At 14 hours ago, CoCo wrote: I prefer Traced in Air a lot more than Focus. I honestly don't think death growls work that well with Cynic.

I also prefer Traced in Air. But I disagree about the death metal vocals, I think they work great with Cynic on both albums.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 12:09:27

I just think the direction on Carbon based Anatomy is better imo.

Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 12:40:33

At 24 minutes ago, CoCo wrote: I just think the direction on Carbon based Anatomy is better imo.

CBA is good. But in all honesty, it's like Paul saw HOW FUCKING SUCCESSFUL Foster The People's debut album was and said, "Hey, let's do exactly that."

Because, in all honesty, that's what Carbon Based Anatomy is. It's Foster The People + Sean's insane as fuck drumming + spacie interludes.

Also, I think a lot of people do dislike Cynic's new material - when I saw them right after they reformed but before TIA was released, and when I saw them in 2010 on their Focus-in-entirety tours their was TONS of people. When I saw them headline in November? Not THAT many. (Not mentioning the crowds from when i've seen Cynic open for mygaysugar or BTBAM, because those shows would obviously be huge crowds)

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 12:50:03

At 11 hours ago, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1 day ago, Viper50 wrote: how have is it ive never heard of them before O:
For some reason, they're not well known at all. And apparently, one of the members was the person who picked up Varg after he killed Euronymus. I forget which person it was, though. Also, Nordgaren performed with Mayhem live.

REALLY O:
thats crazy

At 5 hours ago, Bahamut wrote:
At 15 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: A statement on their official website explained that Tony Iommi's battle with lymphoma is responsible for the cancellations, though their appearance at Download Festival will continue as planned.
My sister is really reluctant with festivals but we may have to go to this one as it may be our only ever chance to even see them live. There may not be a next time.

i wish i lived near there
i would go to see them in a heart beat if i could
and get their entire discography on cds or vinyl and get them signed by them too haha
that would be AWESOME
id totally hang them on my wall or something so i could sit and look at them and see that awesomeness

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 14:39:39

At 9 hours ago, Dalnaki wrote:
At 8 hours ago, Zodir wrote: So, I've been listening to a lot of Cynic lately, and it rekindled how much I love both albums. But what I want to know is why Traced In Air gets a lot of crap from fans. Anyone know why?
Bad songwriting. Noodle fetishist modern tech-death influenced crap. More noodling. I could go on.

Lol, wrong.

There isn't much technical material on the album anyway. I don't think they even pretend to be a tech death band. Listenning to Traced In Air, you can easily understand the evolution of the band toward an even more textured and atmospheric brand of music that will later be found on Carbon-Based Anatomy. The main goal of the band isn't really technicality. Still, it is true that they have some technical parts, but that's just how prog metal and prog rock is nowadays, or most of the time anyway.

And the songwriting is bad? Please, Paul doesn't know the definition of bad.

At 1 hour ago, AniMetal wrote: CBA is good. But in all honesty, it's like Paul saw HOW FUCKING SUCCESSFUL Foster The People's debut album was and said, "Hey, let's do exactly that."

Problem with Carbon-Based Anatomy is that it's half good tracks, half fillers. And for an EP, that really isn't all that great. Some of the tracks are generic spacey ambient tracks with very few interessting or worth mentionning elements.

Because, in all honesty, that's what Carbon Based Anatomy is. It's Foster The People + Sean's insane as fuck drumming + spacie interludes.

Dunno about these guys :O

Also, I think a lot of people do dislike Cynic's new material - when I saw them right after they reformed but before TIA was released, and when I saw them in 2010 on their Focus-in-entirety tours their was TONS of people. When I saw them headline in November? Not THAT many. (Not mentioning the crowds from when i've seen Cynic open for mygaysugar or BTBAM, because those shows would obviously be huge crowds)

Yeah well, the music just isn't the same. And just to be more of a memefag... One does not simply stop playing death metal to play spacey prog metal.

Stolen Babies - Awful Fall

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-22 15:53:10

At 11 hours ago, Dalnaki wrote:

Ummm...what? I don't think we have the same definition of noodling. NecrophagistNecrophagist falls under noodling (I still like them though). This and this don't sound anything like noodling. Sure, they have their more instrumentally show off parts, but that definitely comes from their jazz influence, which fans loved in Focus. I don't think this argument stands up for why fans don't like it.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 00:17:26

Man, I went to Gigantour on Monday.
Shit was so fucking cash.

Lucuna Coil opened, and I gotta say, I didn't really like them beforehand, but they were pretty fucking awesome. I guess I've always had a a thing for bands with chicks as their front(wo)man. After that a band named "Volbeat" played. Volbeat fucking SUCKS! They did some faggy Johnny Cash cover followed by the intro and gallop of Raining Blood. It's like, dude, if you're gonna play a song, don't stop playing as soon as the good part's about to start. Not to mention their singer was a total fuck, he sounded like he was calling an auction instead of singing.

But yeah, Motorhead took the stage next. And they fucking KILLED it, their whole performance blew my mind, as soon as they started playing Overkill I was like FUCK YEAH! After that, Megadeth of course. When they played ÃEU Tout le Monde I was just hands-down fucking stoked, it was so fucking great. And then at the end of the concert, some dick runs up on stage and plays air guitar right behind Dave Mustaine before security got him, but that made me think. If that dude had a knife, Dave Mustaine would've been dead.

Fucking great show, though. Definitely the best I've ever been to.
Next up, Iron Maiden in July... Only $550 for floor tickets...

fuck

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 04:07:02

At 11 hours ago, Zodir wrote: Ummm...what? I don't think we have the same definition of noodling.

My mistake. I was thinking of a different album.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 10:32:30

At 10 hours ago, Sevkat wrote: Next up, Iron Maiden in July... Only $550 for floor tickets...
fuck

Holy fuck, why that much?

Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 12:50:29

At 2 hours ago, CoCo wrote:
At 10 hours ago, Sevkat wrote: Next up, Iron Maiden in July... Only $550 for floor tickets...
fuck
Holy fuck, why that much?

No idea.
Because it's fucking MAIDEN I guess. I only paid just shy of $100 for a good seat and a T-Shirt at Gigantour. But I think Iron Maiden would be way better, they're my favourite band.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 13:33:40

I wouldn't pay that much if all of my favorite bands played at one festival, let alone a ridiculously overrated band like Iron Maiden.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 13:47:33

At 12 minutes ago, Sense-Offender wrote: I wouldn't pay that much if all of my favorite bands played at one festival, let alone a ridiculously overrated band like Iron Maiden.

Nah

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 15:15:03

Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 15:49:49

At 2 hours ago, Sense-Offender wrote: I wouldn't pay that much if all of my favorite bands played at one festival, let alone a ridiculously overrated band like Iron Maiden.

Agreed... Jesus!

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 19:21:21

At 4 hours ago, CoCo wrote: New Overkill Track

Overkill did a great job in this awesome track \m/

Metal Hell

The cold wind and the snow of this night, whips my heart of pure ice

My cold blood is running through my veins, but my soul burns like an everlasting flame

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-23 23:30:22

I enjoy Volbeat more than post-Youthanasia Megadeth, Motorhead and Lacuna Coil all combined.

Not saying Volbeat are great or anything, but they're still better than the rest.

Also, what's wrong with vocalists who sound like auctioneers? Testament is offended.

At 9 hours ago, Sense-Offender wrote: I wouldn't pay that much if all of my favorite bands played at one festival, let alone a ridiculously overrated band like Iron Maiden.

Agreed.

Also, LOL @ the new Overkill. I swear, that band is seriously overrated as fuck. Only Feel The Fire and Taking Over are worth listening to.

Foreigner - Double Vision

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-24 11:10:00

Early Overkill was good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-24 13:41:24

At 2 days ago, Viper50 wrote: i would go to see them in a heart beat if i could
and get their entire discography on cds or vinyl and get them signed by them too haha

I couldn't ask for anything better. Shame there'd be thousands of other Sabbath fanatics as well for them to even have time to chill out with the fans.

At 1 day ago, Sense-Offender wrote: I wouldn't pay that much if all of my favorite bands played at one festival, let alone a ridiculously overrated band like Iron Maiden.

I'd say £40-ish for Maiden is a reasonable price. The only metal bands I'd agree with charging more are Black Sabbath and Metallica due to extreme demands for tickets. Manowar for £48 was horribly unreasonable and I don't know why Dream Theater were charging £51 for their UK shows. I just went with a cheaper show on the same night for £14 to see Alestorm.

At 22 hours ago, CoCo wrote: New Overkill Track

So that's what I missed while I was away. Now it's gone down.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-25 16:45:54

who here has heard of a band called Blood Ceremony?
its a female fronted Doom Metal band from Canada
its pretty interesting
the singer also plays the flute and organ for the band too
here

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature