00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,057,943 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-14 15:28:27

So tonight i'm going to "rock n' shock festival"

The lineup:

Mushroomhead
Cavalera Conspiracy
The Devin Townsend Project
OTEP
Earth Crisis
Psychostick
Blue Felix
The Ocean
Ventana
Tenafly Viper
Code Of Kings
Welcome The Tide
A Wanted Awakening
Terror Rising

I'm going entirely for Cavalera Conspiracy, The Devin Townsend Project and Psychostick. I'm not a fan of Mushroomhead, OTEP or Earth Crisis. I have no idea who any of the other bands are though, so hopefully there'll be at least one good band in there.

I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow. :)

At 10/14/11 08:08 AM, Bahamut wrote: I just read that Candlemass are going to record one more album and then they'll be on their farewell tour. Damn, first Cathedral and now Candlemass. I've never seen them live before so I better take that one and only chance when they appear in the UK.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

At 10/14/11 07:16 AM, Bahamut wrote: I agree with this very much. Why split that song into two parts when Octavarium was just as long and no one complained about the length of it. Even if there were complaints, In the Presence of Enemies does better with its pacing.

I think they did it because the whole album, ITPOE aside, is ALL one big experiment with different styles of playing and whatnot. They did that because they know the most important way to leave a lasting impression is starting AND ending with a bang.

I really wish there was an official version somewhere with it is as one track, it'd make it easier for me to put on mixed CDs.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-14 19:01:55

At 10/13/11 10:53 PM, AniMetal wrote:

NORTH AMERICA:

Sat 11.12.11 Joliet IL - Mojoes

This is pretty cool. Like 30 minutes away from my house. A bit weird though, these concerts are usually in chicago. Joliet is kinda random.

Obscura will also be playing at the same place on November 9th.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 02:47:21

At 10/9/11 06:42 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I also wanted to ask you guys what you think of this album? Yesterday I've been to a party and met two great guys, we shared some music and it was the first time I've ever heard the Dark Ambient music by Burzum. I only heard one track, but I really enjoyed it. What do you guys think about it?

I fucking love Burzum, Varg JUST got out of jail earlier this year, so his newer works should be a lot like his earlier stuff or Fallen.

What a shame, Mister Jensen.

I never asked for this, Mister Denton.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 02:51:35

At 10/13/11 03:40 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 10/9/11 05:15 PM, igott wrote: Municipal Waste is as much as a Thrash Band as DRI is.
...exactly my point. I don't consider D.R.I. to be thrash metal either. hahaha

Maybe with The Dirty Rotten LP or Dealing With It!, but Full Speed Ahead or 4 of a Kind are definitely Thrash albums. Besides, Thrash and Hardcore is like Death and Tech Death circa '92.

Speaking of Punk, anyone like Discharge or Crass?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 02:55:30

At 10/10/11 06:10 AM, Bahamut wrote: This is actually one genre I haven't looked into and I'm sure there's good stuff from it. Recommendations, anyone? :)

If you like early grindcore, like Napalm Death or Extreme Noise Terror, then you'll love Crust.
Then there's early MDC.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 06:06:11

At 10/14/11 03:28 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 10/14/11 08:08 AM, Bahamut wrote: I just read that Candlemass are going to record one more album and then they'll be on their farewell tour. Damn, first Cathedral and now Candlemass. I've never seen them live before so I better take that one and only chance when they appear in the UK.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yeah. :( Looks like 2012 will be the year of farewells. Cathedral will release one more album, Candlemass will release one more album and possibly Judas Priest as well.

I really wish there was an official version somewhere with it is as one track, it'd make it easier for me to put on mixed CDs.

Our best bet is a live album.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 06:06:43

Hold on AniMetal, I thought you didn't even like modern Dream Theater works.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 10:15:42

At 10/15/11 02:51 AM, igott wrote: Speaking of Punk, anyone like Discharge or Crass?

Crass is one of the first punk bands I ever got into, and Yes Sir, I Will is still one of my favorite punk albums. I like Dischare equally as much, some heavy fuckin' shit for 1982, took metal at least a year to come up with something as heavy (Hellhammer, of course).And whats this of Municipal Waste and DRI not being thrash? Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust are obviously thrash. Municipal have too many palm mutes to really be Hardcore (Hardcore uses palm mutes yes, see State Violence/State Control, but not usually to the extent of thrash), and Toxic Holocaust's blackened elements land it in the metal category. DRI's early EP's are thrashcore(not related to thrash)/hardcore, everything else is crossover (4 of a Kind onward, the hardcore is the ressesive trait). Listen to "Money Stinks" (Dirty LP version), comapare it to "God is Broke" (Dealing With it) and "Man Unkind" (4 of a KInd), and you'll notice the change between the 3 eras.

Also, in listing Crust suggestions, I forgot my favorite, Extinction of Mankind. Pretty good shit.

Keep it CRUSTY

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 10:23:20

At 10/14/11 03:28 PM, AniMetal wrote: So tonight i'm going to "rock n' shock festival"
The lineup:

Indeed, I have returned.

Mushroomhead

Musically, they were AWFUL. Performance wise, they were fun as fuck to watch. It felt like I was watching blue man group... only playing bad music. Fun to watch. haha

Cavalera Conspiracy

Despite Max's guitar making NO sound at all the whole show, they were amazing and played tons of Sepultura classics!

Arise, Dead Embryonic Cells, Refuse/Resist and Roots Bloody Roots! For CC original material, they played Inflikted, I Speak Hate, Warlord, Killing Inside, Sanctuary and one other song I honestly didn't recognize. Pretty awesome setlist, considering they only had 50 minutes.

The Devin Townsend Project

I don't know why, but the crowd hated Devy. Which sucks, because it brought me down and devy down too. :/

Performance wise, it was fun as fuck. Devin's hilarious faces, different lyrics in songs and a backdrop constantly changing to lolzie pictures of Devin is what it's all about!

Sadly though, since they only had 50 minutes, they decided to play the SAME EXACT SETLIST that they played with Children Of Bodom, Septic Flesh and Obscura in mid-july.

So: Truth, Om, By Your Command, Kingdom, Supercrush, Stand and Juular. They played an 8th song though, which is the ONLY difference from the show I saw in july. That song was Vampira.

It makes me mad that they played this setlist, I could've NOT wasted 35 bucks to see Children Of Boredom and Shitptic Flesh then. :/

OTEP

Cheesy stage performance, painfully generic music, overly energetic crowd for them for some reason.

Earth Crisis

Awful music, with a huge invisible ninja fighting pit going on the whole time.

Psychostick

Insanely awesome. Very hilarious, violent fun. :)

They played, Welcome to the Show, ABCDEathpool, Hate Times 8, Taco, W.S.S., Because Boobs, Sadface :[, Beer & The Jägermeister Love Song.

The Ocean

Horribly boring performance. The crowd was into them, but I felt like they were trying to steal Mastodon's sound all the while playing core. It was awful.

Ventana

Awful music, but HILARIOUS stage performance. I can't explain it, you'd have to see them to understand.

Hint: It includes a singer whom attempts crowdsurfing 6+ times in a twenty minute set.

Tenafly Viper
Blue Felix
Code Of Kings
Welcome The Tide
A Wanted Awakening
Terror Rising

Since my friend and I decided to dick around, we ended up missing all these bands. But based off what people at the show were saying, doesn't sound like a single one of them were any good.

I also got to meet: Everyone in Mushroomhead, everyone in the devin townsend project, everyone in Cavalera Conspiracy minus the lead guitarist, one of the guys from The Ocean(Don't remember what he plays though) AND the vocalist + guitarist from Psychostick.

Awesome show was awesome, even if most of it sucks. hahaha

At 10/15/11 06:06 AM, Bahamut wrote: Hold on AniMetal, I thought you didn't even like modern Dream Theater works.

Albums as a whole: No.
Individual songs: Yes.

I like one-three songs off each album from SDOIT onwards, but hate the rest.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 18:56:46

At 10/15/11 02:47 AM, igott wrote: I fucking love Burzum, Varg JUST got out of jail earlier this year, so his newer works should be a lot like his earlier stuff or Fallen.

Yeah, it seems he wasn't allowed to have a guitar when he was in prison, but still had a keyboard, I guess. I don't know much about Burzum, though. I would have checked it out a while ago, but Varg really puts me off from what I hear and read about/from him, I just kept avoiding his stuff. I still dig Mayhem, though. Plus I listen to a bunch of bands that have Hellhammer on drums, and that guy is a homophobic cunt. I'll probably end up giving in at some point and check out Burzum.

At 10/15/11 02:51 AM, igott wrote: Speaking of Punk, anyone like Discharge or Crass?

I don't know much about punk aside from a few Black Flag and Rollin's Band songs. Although I really like Municipal Waste, which I think is like crossover punk/thrash, and the same goes for Carnivore.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-15 20:24:30

Somebody I know who calls himself a metalhead classified DevilDriver as "death metal."

When will people understand the metal sub-genres?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 01:16:49

At 10/15/11 08:24 PM, hitman1993 wrote: Somebody I know who calls himself a metalhead classified DevilDriver as "death metal."

I don't know.
Speaking of death metal I'm seeing Immolation, with Jungle Rot, Gigan, and Disma later on.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 03:20:37

At 10/15/11 10:23 AM, AniMetal wrote:
At 10/15/11 06:06 AM, Bahamut wrote: Hold on AniMetal, I thought you didn't even like modern Dream Theater works.

I like one-three songs off each album from SDOIT onwards, but hate the rest.

Same here. Some of the tracks are pretty good. Systematic Chaos had some good memorable moments.

At 10/15/11 08:24 PM, hitman1993 wrote: Somebody I know who calls himself a metalhead classified DevilDriver as "death metal."

I have a few examples to support your argument.

I've heard people call Slipknot... Death Metal.

Some guy I worked with didn't, while we we're discussing our favorite bands didn't seem to understand why I was putting so much emphasis on the word METAL after the word Death when talking about my favorite bands. I was actually trying to make him understand that diarrheacore band like Whitechapel were not Death Metal bands. He was like "Yes, Yes. They are very Death Metal, they have lots of breakdowns."

Then comes the usual Melodeath kid who doesn't understand why we don't see bands like Arch Enemy as actual Death Metal bands...

Then comes the common mis-use of the Heavy Metal genre classification. to talk about the whole Metal scene. I know I've mentionned this before, and I remember getting served the "who cares?" argument. But I think there is an obvious difference between Judas Priest and Cannibal Corpse... or Iron Maiden and Gris.

That's it for now. Can't find any good reason to complain anyway. I'm feeling rather happy now. Good stuff happening to me right now in my life, and good music reaching my ears. I'm digging deeper and deeper into Black Metal and finaly finding myself liking some bands a lot. I also got into Mastodon and finaly found a way to understand and feel their music well enough to enjoy it. I'm also getting into some Progressive Rock music :) I was wondering if some of you guys had any recommandations of Prog Rock bands for me. I have to look into the band Yes, but I don't know where to start, and I'm also thinking about listenning to some King Crimson. But I don't have much knowledge of the genre. I know some guys in here, maybe Bill or some others might know some stuff that I could enjoy.

Stuff I already like... Kansas, UFO, Genesis, Gordian Knot and Yes.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 06:33:28

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 08:01:40

At 10/15/11 10:23 AM, AniMetal wrote:

Ah, now that makes much more sense. I will admit that I'm the opposite and will say there's generally a few tracks each album that I don't like as much as the others. Systematic Chaos, love The Ministry of Lost Souls and In the Presence of Enemies but don't really care for Constant Motion nor Prophets of War.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 16:15:08

So I picked up a couple of albums this weekend. I got Arch/Matheos's Sympathetic Resonance, Manilla Road's Playground of the Damned, Mastodon's The Hunter, and Voyager's The Meaning of I. So far I've listened to the Arch/Matheos album, and it is really good, along with the new Manilla Road album. And to be blunt, the new Manilla Road is a huge dissapointment. It is easily their worst work since The Circus Maximus (if you count that, if not, then Out of the Abyss). The production is god awful and the songs aren't actually that interesting. Makes me sad. I'm even more dissapointed with this album than the new Opeth album.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 17:20:33

At 10/16/11 03:20 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: prog rock

King Crimson is one of the best bands ever. Check out in the Court of the Crimson King, in the Wake of Poseidon, Red, Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Discipline, Thrak, and the Power to Believe. Those are all fantastic albums. And, though the album as a whole isn't all that good, the title track of Three of a Perfect Pair is great. The other albums are hit and miss, just basically alright overall. The only one I haven't heard is Construkction of Light. Even the album Beat at least has Heartbeat.

Also check out Emerson Lake & Palmer. Their self titled album, Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery, and Pictures at an Exhibition are all excellent.

Frank Zappa is the man. Try Hot Rats and Apostrophe, and if you want to go more avant-garde, Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Porcupine Tree is awesome, too. Check out Nil Recurring, in Absentia, and Fear of a Blank Planet.

If you haven't checked out Rush, try Moving Pictures, 2112, and Hemispheres.

And if you haven't checked out Pink Floyd, start with Animals and Wish You Were Here. Dark Side of the Moon and the Wall are classics, and they're quite good, but those other two are better. You have got to be craaaazyyy...not to love the song Dogs. Yep, I just made that joke.

Gong is a really underrated but trippy and awesome prog rock band. The Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy is so good. One of their catchiest songs is Oily Way, which is from the second album, Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 2: Angel's Egg. But Vol. 3: You really trips me out. They're best enjoyed while under the influence of some sort of substance. Raaaaadio-oh gu-nooooome.

radio g-nome radio g-nome invizee blah ah!

King's X counts, I guess, but even if they don't, check them out. They have a lot of good stuff. Also, if Abe from Oddworld were a gay black bassist, he would be Doug Pinnick, their bassist.

Other good prog rock bands/artists are Uriah Heep (try Demons and Wizards) Gentle Giant, Steve Hackett, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Camel, Focus (best known for the song Hocus Pocus, but they have other good songs) Van Der Graaf Generator (killer is a classic song) Nektar, the Flower Kings, the Tangent, and...alright that's enough. I can give you more if you want, though.

Also, check out progarchives.com. It's a good site.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 18:05:46

At 10/16/11 05:20 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Even the album Beat at least has Heartbeat.

Are you implying Heartbeat is the only good song on Heartbeat? Cause I suggest you give the album a second spin, it's my fav. next to Discipline and Starless and Bible Black.

King Crimson is my favorite band, and really, you can't go wrong with looking into any one album, cause none really define them, save for a period of a few years. Check out in The Court if you want some good Symphonic Prog, Most everything up until Discipline is a nice selection of jazzy prog, the 80's era is an excellent take on New Wave/post-punk, Thrak is a cool piece of Grunge, and the two recent albums expand on the Grungy aspects while adding more electronic elements. Checking out the solo output of the band wouldn't hurt either. Fripp is really good at drone, Levin's latest is extremely heavy to the point one could call it metal, Belew is a collage of weird guitar noises (with a hot bassist to boot).

While your at Prog Rock, check out some Prog Folk. Comus is a acid folk band with Eastern European elements and all sorts of neat shit. Big influence on Opeth and current 93. Spirogyra have some of the best dynamics I've ever heard in music.

Mr. Sirius is a good symphonic prog band from Japan, with lots of Broadway jazz elements. Ozric Tentacle's latest outputs have a lot of Trance elements.

Not really prog, but Fred Frith has a lot of experimental rock with free improv, odd time sigs, and atonality in his music.

Also, listen to Sense Offender.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 18:14:54

Not sure if this has been brought up but as we all (should) know Amon (no not Amon Amarth just Amon) was brought back after the Hoffman bros. were kicked out of Deicide. The have a new album coming out on Halloween called Liar in Wait. Can't seem to find any track names or any new stuff to preview. This is the album cover.

Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 20:09:04

I'll save both of your posts Sense and Bill, so I can come back to it often in the future. From the bands you have already mentionned, I always wanted to get into Yes, Gentle Giant and King Crimson. So I guess I will be starting there. Then I'll just move through your lists. Thanks buddies !!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 23:48:00

At 10/16/11 06:05 PM, Tobi wrote:
At 10/16/11 05:20 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Even the album Beat at least has Heartbeat.
Are you implying Heartbeat is the only good song on Heartbeat?

Well, I dunno. I haven't listened to it much, but it seemed quite unmemorable compared to their other stuff. I also remember liking Niel and Jack and Me, but what's the deal with the chorus? "Niel and Jack and me, absent lovers, absent lovers". Uh, is this about a gay love triangle? Not that there's anything wrong with that (hurr Seinfeld).

Cause I suggest you give the album a second spin, it's my fav. next to Discipline and Starless and Bible Black.

really? Beat is one of your favorite KC albums? Those other two are definitely among the best, but do you really like Starless more than Red and Lark's Tongues? I mean, Starless and Bible Black is absolutely amazing, even almost perfect, but I think it's still the weakest of the three Wetton era albums, while Red and Lark's Tongues in Aspic are pretty much equal in mind blowing perfection. I never hear any love for the Talking Drum, which is just so great.

So what do you think of in the Court, Poseidon, Thrak, Red, Lark's Tongues, and Power to Believe? I think those are also among the best Crimson albums ever, along with Discipline and Starless.

King Crimson is my favorite band, and really, you can't go wrong with looking into any one album, cause none really define them, save for a period of a few years.

high five! They're like the best band ever. Even their worst stuff is still at least decent. I've been meaning to check out the Construkction of Light. I'm pretty sure that's how they spell it, probably because their name can be initialized as "KC", so, the ConstruKCion of Light. I've also never checked out those Projekct albums.

Check out in The Court if you want some good Symphonic Prog, Most everything up until Discipline is a nice selection of jazzy prog, the 80's era is an excellent take on New Wave/post-punk,

post-punk? I don't hear it. But yeah, it's great. I just wish Levin used that Chapman stick even more. It sounds sick on songs like Elephant Talk and Frame by Frame. The only thing about Adrian Belew era KC is that synth guitar Belew's got going on that sounds like some weird high pitched squeaking. It doesn't sound right.

Thrak is a cool piece of Grunge, and the two recent albums expand on the Grungy aspects while adding more electronic elements.

I guess you could say it's grungy. I never thought of it like that. Thrak and the Power to Believe are definitely their heaviest albums. Some songs on the Power to Believe come pretty close to sounding like metal without actually quite getting there.

Checking out the solo output of the band wouldn't hurt either. Fripp is really good at drone, Levin's latest is extremely heavy to the point one could call it metal, Belew is a collage of weird guitar noises (with a hot bassist to boot).

I think Belew's solo stuff is hit and miss. Some stuff is good, some not so much. And the only album of Levin's solo work I've heard is Resonator, which has some cool stuff and some not so cool stuff. I definitely like Break it Down and his cover of the Sabre Dance. However, he's not that good of a vocalist and sometimes he tries to do things with his voice that just don't work. I've also not heard much from Fripp's solo stuff. I have one album from him, which is Exposure. I haven't listened to it much and I don't remember a lot in particular, but I remember thinking it was pretty good. He's a fantastic, unique guitarist, though, so I intend to listen to more of his stuff. I know he's also collaborated with Brian Eno, which is very cool.

Also, didn't Les Claypool do guest bass for one of Belew's songs?

Have you ever listened to Bill Bruford's band? It's quite good. He's definitely one of the greatest drummers that ever lived, and I'm not exaggerating. I don't mean he's the fastest, but he's the most creative and rhythmically savvy. His jazz band, Earthworks is also really good. I love the song Teratoma, even though that's a pretty messed up name for such a cool jazz tune. I got to see a removed teratoma in a glass case when I went to the Bodies exhibit at the South Street Sea Port in NYC. You could see the hair and teeth in it. That wasn't even the most disturbing thing that was there. There was a whole room full of dead infants, fetuses, embryos, and such. It was still fascinating, though.

Also, listen to Sense Offender.

word, brah.

At 10/16/11 06:14 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Not sure if this has been brought up but as we all (should) know Amon (no not Amon Amarth just Amon) was brought back after the Hoffman bros. were kicked out of Deicide.

That cover looks sick. I like it. What is it? death metal? The name reminds me of one of my fabvorite artists, Amon Tobin. I still haven't checked out Deicide. I might do that. They're death metal, right? I've come to really appreciate death metal, that is, depending on the kind of death metal. I like old school and new school, but some of the new stuff sounds shitty to me. Some death vocals are just dumb. And the stuff that just sounds like random, arbitrary guitar playing and a machine gun constantly firing instead of drums...bleh. the wall of noise type of stuff. Anyway, I'll try to remember to check out those two bands. I need to do some digging through this thread and find those death metal recommendations that were given to me by Dalnaki and others.

By the way, are those Acid Bath lyrics in your sig?

At 10/16/11 06:49 PM, batman64 wrote: Yes, I prefer their earlier 70's works myself since I feel the 80's kinda messed em up a bit(Will say now, 80's messed up a lot of prog bands...weird decade)

I haven't heard many of their albums in their entirety, but Fragile and Starship Trooper are super awesome.

King Crimson...it's all good prog(Court of the Crimson King is a personal fave album)

That one is pretty much their only hit. People from that time see me wearing a KC shirt and tell me they remember that album, but then I ask if they remember their others, and the answer is almost always no.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer..ELP..Their early works are great prog and Brain Salad Surgery is essential listening for prog fans IMO.

One of the best prog bands ever. One of my teachers in highschool got me into them by borrowing the record player from the library and playing their records during lunch break. She played all their best stuff for me. ELP, Tarkus, Trilogy, and Pictures at an Exhibition. I don't remember if she brought in Brain Salad Surgery. She was my favorite teacher. She was the one who gave me her perfect condition issue number one of Heavy Metal Magazine as a graduation gift. No matter how much that sells for, I'll never part with it, and I'll always take good care of it.

Electric Light Orchestra(ELO)
Jethro Tull

My mom really likes both of those bands. I only know a bit of Jethro Tull. I mostly remember the Christmas stuff.

Rush and Deep Purple are listed as Metal

I never really considered Deep Purple to be true prog, but they're still awesome. I think Deep Purple in Rock is their best. Machine Head is great, but a bit overrated. Fireball and Burn are also awesome, and Who Do We Think We Are and Perfect Strangers are a bit Underrated. I do think of them as being somewhat metal, at the least what would be called "proto-metal". And Rush is great, but I don't know why anybody calls them metal.

Traffic..early works are great prog.

I remember my father talking about them, but I never gave them a listen.

The Moody Blues

My mom still loves them. All I know is Knights in White Satin, though, which is a great song.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-16 23:52:01

character limit. It are suckiest.

At 10/16/11 06:49 PM, batman64 wrote: Gotta mention some KrautRock

All I know is Kraftwek. My dad used to love them. I remember him playing We are the Robots in his car all the time when I was a child.

Tangerine Dream..definitely a band worth checking out.

My mom got me into them.

Camel.

hell yeah

Spock's Beard..for fans of Dream Theater..their concept album Snow is great prog.

definitely. I wouldn't overlook Day For Night, the Light, or the Kindness of Strangers, though.

And I have to mention Queen.

I never listened to any of their full lengths from beginning to end, but I love a lot of their stuff. Obviously, there's Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen, though I think We Will Rock you isn't all that great. My favorites, though, are the Prophet's Song and Death on Two Legs. And since I grew up loving Highlander, I have a fondness for Princes of the Universe, Who Wants to Live Forever, and Don't Lose Your Head.

And Funkadelic....Is that the band with George Clinton?

Also, Duff, I think a good album to start with Gentle Giant is Octopus. Xylophone never sounded so bitchin'.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 00:49:12

Dying Fetus is rumored to be coming to my town in March!!!!

I missed them a couple years ago due to parents bitching.

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 02:42:04

And a new day dawns - the swan rise - the field cranes - aperture sender.
Fielded onto cohesion geometric altar reflects the new day.
Approach the radiant screen and to cross upon the unmoved moor.
And a new day dawns - the swan rise - the field cranes - aperture and fade away.

Metal Hell

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 07:28:47

Savage Circus are this week's feature!

At 10/16/11 04:15 PM, Zodir wrote: And to be blunt, the new Manilla Road is a huge dissapointment. It is easily their worst work since The Circus Maximus (if you count that, if not, then Out of the Abyss).

To be fair, all the releases after The Circus Maximus have been great so that's still good. :P

The production is god awful and the songs aren't actually that interesting. Makes me sad. I'm even more dissapointed with this album than the new Opeth album.

What I find funny is that I was more used to the feel of the vinyl rip but now that I'm hearing the real deal, it does feel strange to me. Still a good album, though and it is reaching my top 10 for 2011.

At 10/16/11 11:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/16/11 06:49 PM, batman64 wrote: King Crimson...it's all good prog(Court of the Crimson King is a personal fave album)
That one is pretty much their only hit. People from that time see me wearing a KC shirt and tell me they remember that album, but then I ask if they remember their others, and the answer is almost always no.

Pffft, they're missing out. Even an album like Lizard has some gems. Cirkus is horribly overlooked.

At 10/17/11 02:46 AM, batman64 wrote: Bloodrock-DOA...everyone should hear it at least once

I actually know this song but only from Manilla Road's cover of it. I wouldn't say that's a great example of Manilla Road's music but if you are still curious about them, I can recommend you some songs of theirs.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 10:15:52

At 10/16/11 11:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/16/11 06:14 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Not sure if this has been brought up but as we all (should) know Amon (no not Amon Amarth just Amon) was brought back after the Hoffman bros. were kicked out of Deicide.
That cover looks sick. I like it. What is it? death metal? The name reminds me of one of my fabvorite artists, Amon Tobin. I still haven't checked out Deicide. I might do that. They're death metal, right?
By the way, are those Acid Bath lyrics in your sig?

Yeah they are death metal. Its the name of the band before it changed to Deicide and yes the lyrics in my sig are Acid Bath lyrics from Cheap Vodka.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 10:34:29

At 10/17/11 02:42 AM, PenisClown wrote: And a new day dawns - the swan rise - the field cranes - aperture sender.

So, are you the one in the Rotting Christ shirt or the Opeth shirt?

At 10/17/11 02:46 AM, batman64 wrote: Almost lost the love of my life tonight

Oh, that's right. I remember you talking about your girl. sorry to hear about that. I hope all goes as well as it can.

Yes..Funkadelic is George Clinton's brainchild..all part of the Mother Starship with P-Funk, Parliament, Funkenstein, Parliament Funkadelic, and the P-Funk All Stars to name a few.

My cousin is really into Parliament and probably Funkadelic. I didn't know they had members that worked with the Mothers of Invention.

Pot Head Pixies..

I am
You are
We are
CRAAAZYYY

I believe that one is from Camambert Electrique.

I have the trilogy as well..definitely cool progressive as well as cool stoner music

tree music is sweet music.

Speaking of which, check this out.

/r/treemusic

and, of course....

SHREDDIT

Dude..HEAVY METAL NUMBER ONE...MINT...never sell that..wow what a gift indeed.

I know, dude. It's so cool, and it's still like new. I just wish I could get scans of the following few issues, because most of the comics are the beginnings of a series that continues through further installations of the magazine. I did some searching and got nothing.

And Parents like Sensey's sound pretty cool.

My mom is the coolest mom ever. My father is cool, but I wish he and I were closer and we knew each other better.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

haha. interesting track, by the way. I've never heard of it, but I'm listening to it, now. pretty bugged out. I should be high for this. Maybe I'll post it to /r/treemusic later.

At 10/17/11 07:28 AM, Bahamut wrote: Savage Circus are this week's feature!

hah. I remember SOAS raving about them.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 12:30:29

Hey, Spork. You're into classical music, right? So can you identify the song in
this trailer? I've heard it many times, but this is the only thing I can think of to present. I know the quality is shitty, but it's just for the sake of knowing what that song is at the beginning. I was just in the middle of this movie called Fear(s) of the Dark and it started playing, so it made me think to ask.

Also, this movie is bugging me the fuck out.

prepositions, meh
At 10/17/11 10:15 AM, Anti-pie wrote: Yeah they are death metal. Its the name of the band before it changed to Deicide and yes the lyrics in my sig are Acid Bath lyrics from Cheap Vodka.

Cheap Vodka is an awesome song. Well, most Acid Bath songs are awesome. Also, I looked a bit into Deicide and I'm not sure I'll be liking their stuff. I'm not offended by antichrist type stuff anymore (I was a bit when I was younger) but it does still put me off a bit when it's so prevalent that it seems dogmatic. This dude burned a freaking inverted cross into his forehead, wrote a song called "Death to Jesus" and has an album cover of a...well rotting christ. And I happen to love a band called Rotting Christ. This is just too much, though, and this is coming from an anti-theist.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 14:51:58

Finally got around to listening to Opeth's new album. Really liked it. Overall I'd say its better than Mastodon's new release.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 17:31:28

At 10/17/11 12:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Hey, Spork. You're into classical music, right? So can you identify the song in
this trailer? I've heard it many times, but this is the only thing I can think of to present. I know the quality is shitty, but it's just for the sake of knowing what that song is at the beginning. I was just in the middle of this movie called Fear(s) of the Dark and it started playing, so it made me think to ask.

Also, this movie is bugging me the fuck out.
prepositions, meh

I have no idea. I know its from Kuniaki Haishima. I think. Was fears of the the french black and white movie?

At 10/17/11 10:15 AM, Anti-pie wrote: Yeah they are death metal. Its the name of the band before it changed to Deicide and yes the lyrics in my sig are Acid Bath lyrics from Cheap Vodka.
Cheap Vodka is an awesome song. Well, most Acid Bath songs are awesome. Also, I looked a bit into Deicide and I'm not sure I'll be liking their stuff. I'm not offended by antichrist type stuff anymore (I was a bit when I was younger) but it does still put me off a bit when it's so prevalent that it seems dogmatic. This dude burned a freaking inverted cross into his forehead, wrote a song called "Death to Jesus" and has an album cover of a...well rotting christ. And I happen to love a band called Rotting Christ. This is just too much, though, and this is coming from an anti-theist.

It's always annoyed me when bands go too far with the whole anti religion thing. I can't help but sigh every time I see a " jesus is a cunt " shirt by cradle of filth. You could at least be more subtle with it.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature