00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soniccrackers23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds Writing Anthology

13,465 Views | 114 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-15 19:23:16

WELCOME TO THE NEWGROUNDS WRITING ANTHOLOGY!

If you are a writer with passion, skill and a desire to take your work to the next level, here is your chance to be part of Newgrounds history.

Newgrounds is collecting the greatest creative writing by its best authors.
The final selections will be assembled into a print edition to be sold internationally via the Newgrounds Store, with links back to the user profiles of all authors involved.

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO TEST YOUR TALENTS, TELL YOUR STORY AND POTENTIALLY GET YOUR WORK PUBLISHED!

The Anthology is supported by TomFulp, was initiated by gumOnShoe, and is currently being run by EKublai and myself, AdamCook. You are in great company!

We are passionate about writing and we are keen to see all forms and voices represented in our Anthology. The doors are wide open to all-comers, but to ensure the highest quality in our works, we must lay down a few simple ground rules.

Submission Guidelines and Requirements (PLEASE READ, IMPORTANT):
The NWA aims to publish a collection of 12-15 pieces of "substantial size" or the equivalent amount of text. As of this thread, we have 6 or 7 such submissions that have been deemed acceptable. Otherwise, consider this the ultimate opportunity to let creativity take you to strange and awesome places.

We want ORIGINAL, first-run work. Give us what no-one else has.
If you are planning to submit a piece for the Anthology, DO NOT make your story publicly available online. No publishing house wants to print recycled writing!

AdamCook and EKublai are gladly accepting works that fall under any of the following categories:

Novellas (17,500-40,000 words)
Novelettes (7,500-17,500 words)
Short Stories (1,000-7,500 words)
Flash Fiction (1,000 words or less)
Poetry
Vignettes (Plotless fiction)
Screenplays (Film, TV)
Stageplays (plays, sketches, musicals)
Foreign Language Writing (with English Translation Attached)
Comic Strips or Graphic Art Storytelling
Creative Non-fiction

Requests to submit writing in a form outside these styles, including forms of Non-Fiction (i.e. Interviews, Memoirs etc.) will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
You may PM or post here with a short summary of what you want to write about.

Send your submissions to writing(dot)ng(At)gmail(dot)com
Make sure to give us your Newgrounds Username when you e-mail us.
You can also contact either of us by PM - AdamCook and EKublai.
From there, we can give you our e-mail addresses if you have questions or comments.
Remember: AdamCook is situated in Europe, so is 6 hours ahead of NG's BBS time.
EKublai is on Chicago time, 2 hours behind BBS time.

KEEP THESE TIPS IN MIND AND YOU'LL STAY AHEAD OF THE PACK:
Don't be lazy: proof-read your piece for all errors (spelling, grammar, logic etc.)
When we get writing that shows no effort, our eyes throw up violently in our skulls.
With the amount of work we receive, a poorly edited piece stands very little chance.
We recommend at least three drafts of revision before submitting.
Get a second opinion on your work, if possible - a fresh pair of eyes will see mistakes you never even thought you could make.

We ask that you send your submissions in .doc (Word document) format.It's a format we all know, own and are used to. They're clear to read, easy to edit and allow us the flexibility to comment in the margins when work-shopping stories.

Should we accept your submission, we will contact you with further information.

IF YOU ARE ACCEPTED (also important):
You are not done.
When you are accepted, you will join the great cycle of re-writing enjoyed by all published authors: Editing and Revising.
Luckily, you're not alone. We aim to work-shop accepted stories with their authors to ensure good submissions become great submissions. Keep an open mind, be flexible to change and be ready to make edits should we request them.
You should take this as the highest possible praise - not only do we want to get your story published, but we want to see you improve as a writer in a short time-frame.
If you have any issues with revising your story, please reconsider your participation.

When all is said and done, this is your free invitation to work on something that you're passionate about. It's worth taking on this challenge simply to learn more about writing, to improve your abilities and have great fun doing it.
Anything else that comes your way will be a great bonus.

Any general questions you may post in this thread.

Show us what you can do.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-15 22:55:57

Will you contact us if we don't make it?
I can't stand the suspense.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-16 02:05:47

Can we make multiple submissions? And if its poetry, do we send you a collection? (Like 5-6)

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-16 02:30:10

At 1/15/11 10:55 PM, tinytim12 wrote: Will you contact us if we don't make it?
I can't stand the suspense.

Yes. However, not hearing from us within say three weeks of you submitting may be an indication that we are considering accepting your submission. Of course, it might be that we are just busy with the quantity of entries, but we will try to PM you as soon as we are certain that your entry won't make it.

At 1/16/11 02:05 AM, TheFarseer wrote: Can we make multiple submissions? And if its poetry, do we send you a collection? (Like 5-6)

There is no limit to how many submissions you send in as long as they are original, first-run entries, and meet our standard of quality. This goes for stories and poetry. At the moment,
Adam and I are envisioning poems are inter-calorie chapters, little pauses between bigger entries. You can send a collection, but each will be reviewed individually. However, we can't say at this point if we would group are your entries together or spread them out across the publication.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-16 02:44:46

Hey everyone! So I wanted to discuss some of the history of this anthology. The idea behind the explanation is for each writer to understand just how important this anthology could potentially be to the site should it be published.

In early 2010, gumOnShoe began a push to showcase the literary talents of his fellow Newgrounders through a collection of prose, poetry, and other creative writing. Under his editorship, sponsorship, and organization, gumOnShoe hoped to publish this work and have it featured on the Newgrounds Store. This anthology would combine the user-motivated creativity Newgrounds is already well-known for with a level of professionalism rarely seen outside the commercial publishing industry. Most importantly, it would send a clear message to the Newgrounds Admins:

"The Newgrounds Community is ready for the Writing Portal. We have the talent, we have the motivation, we have the ability to do 'Everything, By Everyone' proud. We are ready to Read, Write, and Share."

Unfortunately, gumOnShoe (understandably) found that the pressures placed by the anthology and the "real world" were too much to bear for one man and thus had to step down as Chief Editor of the anthology. Thankfully, gumOnShoe stuck around long enough to pass responsibility into the capable hands of AdamCook. Adam and I (Ekublai) have since joined forces as Co-Editors and begun a voracious campaign to see this important project to its completion and publication. gumOnShoe will be missed, and we would gladly welcome him back to the project in the future should he ever want to. All three of us agree that the release of the NWA is important to the future of Newgrounds and will be time and money well spent.

SO AGAIN, WELCOME TO THE NEWGROUNDS WRITERS ANTHOLOGY!
EVERY MEMBER OF NEWGROUNDS NOW HAS AN OPEN INVITATION TO WRITE, SUBMIT, AND POSSIBLY BE PUBLISHED!

Mission: The Newgrounds Writers Anthology is a collection of creative writing designed to highlight the potentially high caliber of writing that one could expect upon the opening of the long-awaited Newgrounds Writing Portal. The project will be a literary milestone that will set the bar of quality writing on the site, inspiring, educating, and motivating the future authors of Newgrounds and of the Digital Age.

Have fun writing everyone. Adam and I are doing this in order to get the best effort out of you guys and deliver a steller book!

Fame, Fortune, and a smile from Tom Fulp awaits. Okay, only one of those is a guarantee. :D

Good Luck!

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-17 14:00:44

Just a quick question really, seeing as the anthology is under new management.

Back in the day, gum was the one that accepted my contributions would be a reworking of one of my entries for the Monthly Writing Contest, so I wondered if this was still game, since the only place that they had ever appeared was on the NG BBS.

Of course, if this isn't the case, then I understand and we'll just have to see if there is time in my schedule to create something brand new. I'm not sure there is at the moment, but I'll be willing to give it a shot, should my circumstances change.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-17 14:08:17

At 1/17/11 02:00 PM, Coop wrote: Just a quick question really, seeing as the anthology is under new management.

Back in the day, gum was the one that accepted my contributions would be a reworking of one of my entries for the Monthly Writing Contest, so I wondered if this was still game, since the only place that they had ever appeared was on the NG BBS.

Of course, if this isn't the case, then I understand and we'll just have to see if there is time in my schedule to create something brand new. I'm not sure there is at the moment, but I'll be willing to give it a shot, should my circumstances change.

Right now I'm not seeing any entry in the stuff gum gave us by you. Could you resubmit it and point us to its location on the bbs. We can determine then what we want to do about it.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-17 19:38:41

At 1/17/11 02:08 PM, EKublai wrote: Right now I'm not seeing any entry in the stuff gum gave us by you. Could you resubmit it and point us to its location on the bbs. We can determine then what we want to do about it.

Okay, here are my five entries, which garnered mixed results. I personally felt best about Island Retreat and The Good Doctor, though the judges rated them differently.

Island Retreat
The Life And Death Of The Party
The Good Doctor
Maudlin Asylum
The Madness Within

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-17 20:53:46

Novellas i want to submit one of 30k words, is there anyone who would like to review it before i submit it. p.m. please it a good story.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-20 23:06:00

So there is no admissions deadline at this point?

I write. I voice act. Drop me a PM. Sig by Ejit

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-23 22:27:20

At 1/17/11 08:53 PM, kidd25 wrote: Novellas i want to submit one of 30k words, is there anyone who would like to review it before i submit it. p.m. please it a good story.

I admire your ambition in writing such a large story; however, if you're submitting it to the Anthology, I hope you EDIT IT TO THE VERGE OF DEATH AND BACK beforehand.
You've just made a post that's barely two lines long, and it's already bursting at the seams with a barrage of obvious mistakes. There seems to be a trend for lax editing in your BBS post history.

PLEASE ensure you apply the highest standards possible to your writing.
Use Microsoft Word so you can weed out the basic mistakes.

EDIT. REVIEW. RE-EDIT.
Get people you know to collaborate - people who can invest their free time on such a massive work.
Get your family, teachers, writers, readers, anyone with literary knowledge to ensure you're making your work as clear and concise as possible.

You may have a great story, but if it's buried under tonnes of amateur mistakes, we'll never dig it out!
Take your work seriously and we'll take you seriously.

At 1/20/11 11:06 PM, MattyT wrote: So there is no admissions deadline at this point?

We have not yet set one; we need to establish a few key factors beforehand to be able to make an informed decision. We will make an official post in this thread when a deadline is agreed upon.

You can rest assured we are not going to close the gate on great submissions and we will provide a deadline that offers substantial time for new entries to be assembled.
If you are working on a piece and are serious about submitting it, PM AdamCook or EKublai.
We can add your name to our entry list and then inform you as soon as a deadline has been set.

Don't let time-frame discourage you from writing, at any rate. If you haven't the time to make it for the first edition of the Anthology, we may still log your submission for a future edition.
Focus on making quality work first and foremost.
Let your talents speak for themselves and we'll manage the rest.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-24 08:24:47

Just curious, are you guys knee deep in submissions or do you only have a handful on your plate?

Also, how many submissions have you accepted?

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-24 11:44:38

At 1/24/11 08:24 AM, tinytim12 wrote: Just curious, are you guys knee deep in submissions or do you only have a handful on your plate?

Also, how many submissions have you accepted?

The short answer is no. We timed the release of this thread so that we would not get bogged down by a flood of submissions while our main concern right now is editing the good stories we already have.

Part of the reason an entire month went by between gumOnShoe handing the anthology over to us and us going live with this thread was that we wanted to get a better grip on the stories that we have already. As we already said, we have about 6 or 7 entries that have already been accepted into the anthology. All of these except for two were accepted by gumOnShoe. For the past month, we've been contacting and workshopping with the authors. Right now, we are not so much knee deep in submissions as we are heavily invested in one or two back and forths with writers about their stories. We're on I think it's the fourth draft with one of them so yeah we take workshops very seriously.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-30 20:10:56

ok so how long do you have to submit

praise be to loki for his lies are the only truth, ahmen

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-30 22:17:31

I love the Newgrounds Anthology. Such a great project. You learn so much!

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-30 22:52:32

Wow, post this as soon as I hit writers block. way to go man.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-31 22:01:26

With the editing process in mind, if we settle on a final piece but have a few ideas in our heads about what we might or could do differently, or what we have considered adding, would you prefer we did or did not communicate that in our submission e-mail. I know that I personally have had many documents open at once with different parts added or moved around, trying to find the right combination with the right flow. If we have any personal input on how we might go a different direction with our work, I could see how that might be helpful for you guys in suggesting edits, but obviously I can't be sure that you would want that, or if you would, how you would like it presented. What would you guys prefer?

I'm gonna go have a taco....... you can come too

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-01-31 22:21:34

At 1/31/11 10:01 PM, PillowPenguinz wrote: With the editing process in mind, if we settle on a final piece but have a few ideas in our heads about what we might or could do differently, or what we have considered adding, would you prefer we did or did not communicate that in our submission e-mail. I know that I personally have had many documents open at once with different parts added or moved around, trying to find the right combination with the right flow. If we have any personal input on how we might go a different direction with our work, I could see how that might be helpful for you guys in suggesting edits, but obviously I can't be sure that you would want that, or if you would, how you would like it presented. What would you guys prefer?

Absolutely, if you have anything to say about your piece, whether you want to bat around ideas with us or have questions about future edits, you should state them outright. It helps us get some perspective as to what you're aiming for and thus allows us to give better advice on how to improve on it. That said, if we reject your piece initially, that's not the time to send us massive rants about "a version that might be better". Show us that you deserve a spot in the anthology by writing the best story you can. A good writer is one who can discern the quality of his own work.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-01 23:02:32

As a sanity check I sent the first 1k words. Please let me know what you think either here, PM, or in a response to the e-mail.

If anyone would like help with editing, or plot doctoring, before they bother our faithful editors here, please let me know.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-13 17:22:11

Bump

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-13 23:58:45

A couple things I wanted to say:

First: I've made myself available as a second opinion before submitting the the anthology, as well as a set of eyes for proof reading. I've been taken up on this offer by more than one person so far and their feedback is that my assistance has been helpful in improving their submission. That being said, I'm more than happy to help as I can, but you must first let me know.

Second: the goal of this anthology is to be sold in the NG Store. The anthology is also requesting particular rights to the story. What this means is that posting, in any state the story may be presently, is considered publishing it. Putting it in a blog/userpage, or a thread, is publishing the story and as such, disqualifying it. If you want your story reviewed you need to approach someone on a one-on-one basis.

If you're going to take me up on the first point I made, then you need to do so by sending me your potential submission via typewith.me or e-mail. Links to threads or userpages will, from this point forward, be ignored as they are considered exempt from this anthology. And I don't say that as an administrative pronouncement as I'm not associated with the anthology other than my attempts to be admitted. I say that as a clarification of the requisite publishing rights for submissions.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-14 02:03:34

At 2/13/11 11:58 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Second: the goal of this anthology is to be sold in the NG Store. The anthology is also requesting particular rights to the story. What this means is that posting, in any state the story may be presently, is considered publishing it. Putting it in a blog/userpage, or a thread, is publishing the story and as such, disqualifying it. If you want your story reviewed you need to approach someone on a one-on-one basis.

I was going to address this but decided to let it go simply because people are really serious about engaging in this sort of project will take the time to comprehend the instructions and rules. This is not a critique thread. If you just ask us to go to a blog post of yours with a story. No show of editing, proofreading, proper formatting. The plain fact is that Newgrounds doesn't support proper document formatting. There's no point in wasting the space on the thread.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-14 11:05:11

At 2/14/11 06:49 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: I might have something for this eventually. In the meantime I'm trying sink a hole in one with out having ever played golf before. I have the opportunity to meet the lead editor of Penguin Books. If I can have a mostly finished Novel by May, I might have the opportunity to present it to her. So I'm about to sink my entire being into a project, which I haven't done since college. Here's to hoping that works out.

If it doesn't and this is still going, I'll whittle down my novel/novella to an appropriate length for the anthology. If I do get published by some strange crossing of the fates, I have a few back burner stories I could work on. Understandably, I don't have time for those right now...

I'm glad to see this project is in capable hands. I'm sorry I couldn't pull it through on my own, but hey, this is like a relay race. At least I didn't drop the stick AND lose it.

Gum, I don't think I've had the chance to personally thank you for this opportunity. It's weird how life twists like it does and suddenly you find yourself in positions you wouldn't dream of six months ago. Good luck with that novel man. Hopefully, come May, we'll both be able to measure up to some success with our respective ventures.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-14 22:28:58

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the incentive to the writer to take part in this anthology? From my understanding of what is presented here, the writer is not allowed to retain nay rights to their own work, not allowed to present it any place where it might prove ownership, will not be entitled to any proceeds from their own work, and is basically acting as nothing more than a cash cow for this "publishing house". These are all expectations, and there doesn't seem to be any reward to it other than the hope of getting better at writing and having one's work read by others, something we can do simply by posting it on a blog.

Generally, when it comes to writing, there is an expectation that acceptance by a publishing house will grant the writer one of two primary benefits, a financial reward or widespread exposure. As there appears to be no actual monetary reward, and the final work will be published solely through the Newgrounds shop, I'm not seeing either of these happening.

What are you offering us that we can't get simply by posting here for free? Is this like one of those novelty writing deals where someone tells us how amazing our poetry is, offers to publish it, and oh, you'll have to pay for your own copy?

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-14 23:20:23

At 2/14/11 10:28 PM, MisterRPG wrote: Out of curiosity, what exactly is the incentive to the writer to take part in this anthology? From my understanding of what is presented here, the writer is not allowed to retain nay rights to their own work, not allowed to present it any place where it might prove ownership, will not be entitled to any proceeds from their own work, and is basically acting as nothing more than a cash cow for this "publishing house". These are all expectations, and there doesn't seem to be any reward to it other than the hope of getting better at writing and having one's work read by others, something we can do simply by posting it on a blog.

The anthology claims first-run rights. That means once the Anthology is printed the piece can be shopped to any publisher/magazine that does not demand first-run rights. There are magazines that take any story they can get of marked quality, regardless of whether it has been printed before. Given the niche appeal of the Newgrounds Anthology, a magazine may very well find sufficient value in reprinting the story. And the author keeps full rights and ownership of the story, of that there is no doubt. Please keep in mind that the Anthology only seeks to offer unread stories collected from the brightest in NG's budding literary circle. By no means is it a sinister plot to part hard work from naive writer.

Generally, when it comes to writing, there is an expectation that acceptance by a publishing house will grant the writer one of two primary benefits, a financial reward or widespread exposure. As there appears to be no actual monetary reward, and the final work will be published solely through the Newgrounds shop, I'm not seeing either of these happening.

That is a generalization which is grossly inaccurate. Not all writers produce such little work that what they do eek from their consciousness they protect with a fervent grip. Some writers here on Newgrounds find equitable value in simply being included in the select list of authors for the Anthology.

What are you offering us that we can't get simply by posting here for free? Is this like one of those novelty writing deals where someone tells us how amazing our poetry is, offers to publish it, and oh, you'll have to pay for your own copy?

It is a community effort of cooperation. You can either partake, or not. One of the central benefits in this Anthology is inclusion in the select list of writers to represent NG's literary community. Being chosen is mostly a bolster to ones ego. In a lot of cases, this is more valuable to a writer than cash. Being accepted by your peers provides an invaluable level of validation. In the end it does insist upon itself, but those who join do so under the understanding that this is a community endeavor; not, by any means, a source for earning cash of any significance.

I will be submitting a piece to the Anthology, and as additional show of support I'll decline any free copy and purchase one personally. Perhaps not everyone is blessed enough to have the skill and cash to do this, but you'll be surprised by the number of people who will try.

Something that should also be pointed out is that most, if not all, writers included in the Anthology will more than likely reappear down the line as writers/producers for flash animations/games. Let's try to keep in mind that NG cannibalizes its own talent. Recognition in the Anthology could very well mean, for the writer, being made into an asset which top Flash creators will turn to for their future projects. Some would find that level of celebrity, however inconsequential to the real world, value enough for their 20k+ words.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-15 21:06:31

At 2/14/11 10:28 PM, MisterRPG wrote: Out of curiosity, what exactly is the incentive to the writer to take part in this anthology? From my understanding of what is presented here, the writer is not allowed to retain nay rights to their own work, not allowed to present it any place where it might prove ownership, will not be entitled to any proceeds from their own work, and is basically acting as nothing more than a cash cow for this "publishing house". These are all expectations, and there doesn't seem to be any reward to it other than the hope of getting better at writing and having one's work read by others, something we can do simply by posting it on a blog.

I think alot of the confusion for you is well-founded since they pertain to topics that haven't even been fully discussed between the editors.

The closest thing Adam and I will ever approach in terms of a contract will be in the extremely unlikely event that the anthology turns a profit and we send an email that requests "that you don't republish your story via your NG blog or on the forums, for the benefit of the rest of the authors." I don't think anyone sees this as a cash cow.

Adam and I are totally new to this. What's more: Newgrounds is totally new to this. It's not like NG HQ has a printing station set up for the mass production of books. We know about zilch as to how we're going to pay for this if we actually want tangible paperback copies. We would need a third party to print them, and then the question is how the hell are we going to distribute them? There is a 99% chance that the primary method of distribution will be an e-book downloaded from a link on the ng-store, which means that we will have to competively price it anywhere from $.99 to $9.99. Trust me, you don't have to be an economist to understand why the publishing industry is in such trouble right now.

I want there to be no question in this matter so I will put it in big capital letters: ANY DECISIONS REGARDING SHARE OF PROFITS WILL NOT BE MADE WITHOUT THE DIRECT INVOLVEMENT OF ITS FEATURED AUTHORS.
While you're mulling that over, consider that there are going to be 15 or more featured authors.
Frankly, I would love to see any profit from this thing go directly to putting a paperback copy into each author's hands.
But we are nowhere near that point in the decision-making process.

But back to the main point, the sole purpose of this Anthology is to showcase the literary talent of newgrounds and help its writers. Newgrounds exists as a moment of opportunity for the creative type, especially in thid period of expansion into other artistic endeavors like the Art Portal.

Perhaps you see this kind of reasoning as novelty, but I see it as trailblazing.

Like deathcon says, this is an egotrip.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-15 22:37:01

At 2/15/11 09:06 PM, EKublai wrote:
Like deathcon says, this is an egotrip.
At 2/15/11 09:06 PM, EKublai wrote: Like deathcon says, this is an egotrip.

Snipped for brevity, but I did read the whole thing and I appreciate the honest response. As a long-time recreational writer, I'm familiar with certain of the more unsavory elements that exist out there to prey on budding writers, such as those "You've won the right to be featured in our poetry book!" companies that solicit for written material and then expect the writer to buy a copy. Generally turns out to be poorly produced or poor quality.

This, on the other hand sounds like vanity press of a sort, and I'm fine with that.

Since you've yet to decide on how to publish this, might I suggest something more contemporary and appropriate to your small-scale work instead? Proper publishing is costly, as you've noted, and you'd likely be far better suited to creating your own form of e-book using word processing software. Copy it on as many disks as you expect to sell, have a collection of custom designed labels for the disc and that's really all it takes.
As a prospective writer, I personally hadn't expected more than that anyway. Discs copied with permissions and legalities out of the way are far cheaper.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-15 23:52:54

At 2/15/11 10:37 PM, MisterRPG wrote: As a prospective writer, I personally hadn't expected more than that anyway. Discs copied with permissions and legalities out of the way are far cheaper.

A project like this deserves a more hard-line approach. Printing through Lulu should be a good solution. Trade paperback would be the perfect size for this. If we set the metrics right, we could get the price of the book to around $30 bucks. Also, Lulu offers bulk printing. If we could get pre-orders, we can order the books in bulk and forward the discount. Lulu also has an API that the NG store can use to automate sales of the book at an increased price.

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-21 19:35:36

To amend to the publishing discussion, if money becomes an issue I'm sure a kickstartr page would be able to generate appropriate funds. At the very least having an initial batch would encourage Tom and Co. to make the investment depending on how well it sells.

Also, if we're going to publish we'll need a good designer to put everything together. An illustrator would also be a great addition, perhaps multiple illustrators, to really bring the stories to life. It would be another great showcase of Newgrounds' local talent. Lulu has all the dimensions we'd need for this to get a simultaneous effort going. Perhaps bringing this to Tom's attention closer to the completion of the Anthology collection would be prudent.

bump

Response to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2011-02-23 18:22:49

At 2/21/11 07:35 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: To amend to the publishing discussion, if money becomes an issue I'm sure a kickstartr page would be able to generate appropriate funds. At the very least having an initial batch would encourage Tom and Co. to make the investment depending on how well it sells.

Also, if we're going to publish we'll need a good designer to put everything together. An illustrator would also be a great addition, perhaps multiple illustrators, to really bring the stories to life. It would be another great showcase of Newgrounds' local talent. Lulu has all the dimensions we'd need for this to get a simultaneous effort going. Perhaps bringing this to Tom's attention closer to the completion of the Anthology collection would be prudent.

bump

At the end of this, we're going for a cost-effective and practical way for every ng user, not just us for this project, to be able to do this for their work. We would love to figure out how to help the self-publishers on the site out.

Rest assured, we will have Tom's support on this. Basically, we can get by with asking him for two or three front page mention I think. One of these I'm sure will be in promotion of an art contest for a front and back cover design. I have self-published before and have an idea of how go about with the actual design. This is a writing anthology, which doesn't mean that we would exclude art from it entirely, but I don't think we need alot of illustrating beyond the covers.

I like your enthusiasm for the project, Deathcon. What you're saying is not new to us, but we appreciate the feedback. I'm excited to see what you submit.