Be a Supporter!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

  • 209,809 Views
  • 4,621 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 07:00 AM Reply

At 1/10/13 06:41 AM, Auz wrote:
I didn't know that, but I don't want to level up too fast. I'll keep it in mind though if I ever want to get Alteration up.

It feels like mages aren't as strong as warriors and thieves in this game especially if you want to wear robes. In the next one I hope they bring mages up a notch because destruction spells do not scale well at all.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 07:35 AM Reply

At 1/10/13 06:41 AM, Auz wrote:
At 1/10/13 06:19 AM, Mismo wrote: Also a tip for all mages (although you might already know) get hold of the spell telekineses and use that a lot. Really fast and good way to level up fast in alternation.
I didn't know that, but I don't want to level up too fast. I'll keep it in mind though if I ever want to get Alteration up.

I also remembered another good way to level up easy. Do the whole dark brotherhood quest-line and then purchase the torture chamber from Delvin when you rebuild the sanctuary in Dawnstar. In the torture chamber there will be four victims which you can torture. So basically you can use destruction spells on them to hurt themand healing hands to heal them, and some illusion spells work to. Just don't kill them or else you have to pay a fine.

Also if you talk to them enough all them will reveal a location where a modest amount of gold is hidden. Free money!


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 01:17 AM Reply

I'm planning on making a wizard, any advice for my first 20 or so levels of not being a hella sweet sorcerer?

Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 03:10 AM Reply

At 1/10/13 07:00 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 1/10/13 06:41 AM, Auz wrote:
I didn't know that, but I don't want to level up too fast. I'll keep it in mind though if I ever want to get Alteration up.
It feels like mages aren't as strong as warriors and thieves in this game especially if you want to wear robes. In the next one I hope they bring mages up a notch because destruction spells do not scale well at all.

The fireball spell with the right perks can do massive damage and potentially clear a whole room of badies. Although of course since it is one of the higer level spells it eats away on your magicka fast, but with the right race, perks and items it won't be that much of a problem.


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 1/10/13 07:00 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 1/10/13 06:41 AM, Auz wrote:
I didn't know that, but I don't want to level up too fast. I'll keep it in mind though if I ever want to get Alteration up.
It feels like mages aren't as strong as warriors and thieves in this game especially if you want to wear robes. In the next one I hope they bring mages up a notch because destruction spells do not scale well at all.

I don't mind if things will get difficult towards the end. I think playing as a "hack and slash"-happy warrior gets dull very quickly and while I do like to sneak around with a bow, going pure thief or archer is just not really my thing.

Furthermore, magic is really cool in Skyrim, so I prefer to be mainly a Mage (with a bit of sneaky archery and one-handed swordery if I need to).

At 1/10/13 07:35 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 1/10/13 06:41 AM, Auz wrote:
At 1/10/13 06:19 AM, Mismo wrote: Also a tip for all mages (although you might already know) get hold of the spell telekineses and use that a lot. Really fast and good way to level up fast in alternation.
I didn't know that, but I don't want to level up too fast. I'll keep it in mind though if I ever want to get Alteration up.
I also remembered another good way to level up easy. Do the whole dark brotherhood quest-line and then purchase the torture chamber from Delvin when you rebuild the sanctuary in Dawnstar. In the torture chamber there will be four victims which you can torture. So basically you can use destruction spells on them to hurt themand healing hands to heal them, and some illusion spells work to. Just don't kill them or else you have to pay a fine.

Also if you talk to them enough all them will reveal a location where a modest amount of gold is hidden. Free money!

I'd like to keep the Dark Brotherhood quest line for last. It's supposedly the best quest line and I always like to start out as a good guy before making my criminal record dirty.

At 1/13/13 01:17 AM, Shade wrote: I'm planning on making a wizard, any advice for my first 20 or so levels of not being a hella sweet sorcerer?

From the little experience I have: Pick Breton, aim to get a lot of magicka, keep your spells up to date and you'll probably be fine. Besides, from what I've heard you'll actually kick the most ass early on in the game.

At 1/14/13 03:10 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 1/10/13 07:00 AM, Cootie wrote: It feels like mages aren't as strong as warriors and thieves in this game especially if you want to wear robes. In the next one I hope they bring mages up a notch because destruction spells do not scale well at all.
The fireball spell with the right perks can do massive damage and potentially clear a whole room of badies. Although of course since it is one of the higer level spells it eats away on your magicka fast, but with the right race, perks and items it won't be that much of a problem.

It's Adept level so it's not even that high. I don't have access to Expert level spells yet, but of all the spells I have so far Fireball is definitely the most effective. I found that it's significantly more difficult to dish out damage with Ice Storm and Chain Lightning, despite that they're on the same level.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
kisame
kisame
  • Member since: May. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Violetta
Violetta
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 05:04 AM Reply

At 1/13/13 01:17 AM, Shade wrote: I'm planning on making a wizard, any advice for my first 20 or so levels of not being a hella sweet sorcerer?

Go Breton and give that blue bar some love every time you level up. Stamina is good too but focus on magica.

Allocate perks to destruction, restoration, and enchanting. I would devote to one spell type (fire or frost) rather than spending perks on all of them at first. Level up shock last because it has a higher magica cost, and you should only use it against other wizards due to the magica drain (until you get adept shock spells which are uber overpowered).

Restoration is only good for the healing spell and healing dual-cast. Only start giving level points to health when you dont feel like you can heal yourself quickly.

Disenchant items like rings/amulets that give magica regen and enchant the same thing onto your own clothing after your enchanting is higher.

I made an enchantress once devoted solely to enchanting and illusion so I have a ring that regenerates my magica and stamina almost instantly after use :) I'm basically a ghost.


BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 10:16 AM Reply

At 1/29/13 05:04 AM, Violetta wrote:
At 1/13/13 01:17 AM, Shade wrote: I'm planning on making a wizard, any advice for my first 20 or so levels of not being a hella sweet sorcerer?
Go Breton

I would think Altmer would be the prime choice of race if you wanted a good mage.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 10:31 AM Reply

At 1/29/13 10:16 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I would think Altmer would be the prime choice of race if you wanted a good mage.

They get an extra 50 magicka and nearly unlimited magicka once per day as a racial. Way better than the extra mage defense that Bretons get.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 10:31 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 1/29/13 10:16 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I would think Altmer would be the prime choice of race if you wanted a good mage.
They get an extra 50 magicka and nearly unlimited magicka once per day as a racial. Way better than the extra mage defense that Bretons get.

Yeah, it seems like they nerved Bretons quite harshly in Skyrim. In Oblivion they were by far the superior magic race and, in my opinion, one of the best races in the game in general since you could get 100% magic resistance so easily.

I still picked Breton in Skyrim though since Altmer always seem like stuck-up douchebags.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
animehater
animehater
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Jan. 30th, 2013 @ 12:01 AM Reply

Any news on this rumored Redguard dlc? I've been dying to go to Hammerfell since I heard they beat back the dominion.


"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature
kisame
kisame
  • Member since: May. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 03:56 AM Reply

At 1/30/13 12:01 AM, animehater wrote: Any news on this rumored Redguard dlc? I've been dying to go to Hammerfell since I heard they beat back the dominion.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the war.


Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 05:30 AM Reply

Hammerfell? I'd much rather we got to see more of Morrowind.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 05:30 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Hammerfell? I'd much rather we got to see more of Morrowind.

But wouldn't it be kind of nice to explore something new?


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 10:00 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 2/1/13 05:30 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Hammerfell? I'd much rather we got to see more of Morrowind.
But wouldn't it be kind of nice to explore something new?

See the sights and sounds of the Alik'r Desert, go find some neat desert ruins, hang out with some cool black guys. What's not to love?

mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 10:12 AM, Shade wrote:
At 2/1/13 10:00 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 2/1/13 05:30 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Hammerfell? I'd much rather we got to see more of Morrowind.
But wouldn't it be kind of nice to explore something new?
See the sights and sounds of the Alik'r Desert, go find some neat desert ruins, hang out with some cool black guys. What's not to love?

You forgot to mention that they have Curved. Swords. Also, Dragonborn on the PC in about 4 days. Guess it's back to actually playing Skyrim instead of modding.


Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 11:18 AM Reply

At 2/1/13 10:00 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 2/1/13 05:30 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Hammerfell? I'd much rather we got to see more of Morrowind.
But wouldn't it be kind of nice to explore something new?

Hammefell isn't new, either, though. But it would be the first time we saw it with 3D graphics.

If we're going to see something completely new, then it should be the focus of TES 6. I'd definitely choose Summerset Isle and the surrounding islands, including Pyandonea and the Coral Kingdoms. I'd hope it looks different from what we see in real life. That's what Morrowind had that Oblivion and Skyrim didn't. Morrowind looked so alien and fantastical while Cyrodil and Skyrim just looked like different parts of Europe. I'd hope that the lands of the Altmer, Aldmer, Maormer, and the Sloads would be more exotic and alien-like. And there could be weresharks and werecrocs!


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Anyone knnow if we're ever getting an unarmed tree?

Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 1st, 2013 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 2/1/13 12:55 PM, Shade wrote: Anyone knnow if we're ever getting an unarmed tree?

We can certainly hope so. My Orc (and by extension myself) has been itching to lay the smack down on bandits and Stormcloaks properly with his fists.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Dragonborn downloaded! Can't wait to launch into it!

Snuff
Snuff
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 09:36 PM Reply

Finally got all the achievements again. Now I'm going through on my relatively new playthrough focusing on Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting and Alchemy. It's a lot of new stuff I haven't explored before and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Lets not get, AHEAD, of ourself.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 12:52 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 12:44 PM, Mismo wrote: Lets not get, AHEAD, of ourself.

I wish dismemberment happened more often. In my experience, it's almost like finding a four leafed clover....or a midget. I mean, the point is that it's a bit rare.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 12:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/11/13 12:44 PM, Mismo wrote: Lets not get, AHEAD, of ourself.
I wish dismemberment happened more often. In my experience, it's almost like finding a four leafed clover....or a midget. I mean, the point is that it's a bit rare.

It's a good thing is some way also that it doesn't happen so often. Because otherwise it was be mundane to dismember your fellow humans/elf/beast race... thing.


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 2/11/13 01:06 PM, Mismo wrote:
At 2/11/13 12:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/11/13 12:44 PM, Mismo wrote: Lets not get, AHEAD, of ourself.
I wish dismemberment happened more often. In my experience, it's almost like finding a four leafed clover....or a midget. I mean, the point is that it's a bit rare.
It's a good thing is some way also that it doesn't happen so often. Because otherwise it was be mundane to dismember your fellow humans/elf/beast race... thing.

I know what you mean, but I just think it should occur slightly more often. not too often to cheapen it, but just a bit more.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 12:38 AM Reply

At 2/11/13 10:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I know what you mean, but I just think it should occur slightly more often. not too often to cheapen it, but just a bit more.

I personally wish we could see more badass finishers, I feel like I hardly see them anymore.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 2/11/13 12:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I wish dismemberment happened more often. In my experience, it's almost like finding a four leafed clover....or a midget. I mean, the point is that it's a bit rare.

I wish the game detected where you hit your opponent. Like if you keep slicing his arm eventually it just gets chopped off.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 12th, 2013 @ 01:01 PM Reply

At 2/12/13 12:43 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 2/11/13 12:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I wish dismemberment happened more often. In my experience, it's almost like finding a four leafed clover....or a midget. I mean, the point is that it's a bit rare.
I wish the game detected where you hit your opponent. Like if you keep slicing his arm eventually it just gets chopped off.

Like Fallout 3's thing where each limb had a health rating and could be crippled. I thought that added a lot more immersion into the game, Skyrim would feel a lot better with that kind of thing I think.

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 04:14 PM Reply

So they're going to release the 3 DLC's over the next 3 weeks. Dragonborn is out already and I have to say I'm surprised I wasn't contatnly laggin across the screen thw whole time. Impressed so far, can't wait for the rest


" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 04:18 PM Reply

I played Skyrim for a bit, and it just bored me to tears.

Not my thing.