00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gaffi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

368,883 Views | 4,137 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 06:11:04

At 5/19/12 10:19 PM, Cootie wrote: The main quest bosses were all super easy, but the Dragon Priest will wreck your shit if you are not ready for them. There was also this obnoxious enemy I once fought who made holograms of himself and constantly used Fus Ro Dah on me.

I've not encountered many Dragon Priests on this play through yet. I've seen the one you need to fight before Alduin obviously, but besides him I can only think of one other but I was at a really low level when I encountered him. I just ran straight away.

I still have a tough time fighting some of the higher level Draugr. I was even shocked that there are some higher level bandits and forsworn that occasionally come close to taking me down.

At 5/20/12 02:49 AM, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote: That actually annoyed me quite a bit. Alduin was supposed to be supremely powerful. But he was as easy to take down as any standard dragon. The guy guarding the gate would have made a MUCH better final boss. He was actually pretty tough to take down. But Alduin... The World Eater, my ass.

Yea, Alduin actually went down quicker than you're average dragon for me. I used the Marked For Death shout on him and with the three people attacking him and me attacking him, he was down in seconds. I was expecting a lot harder. I had a quick glance at a walkthrough just before I went to fight Alduin, just to see if this really was the end of the game and it was recommending that I stock up on health potions unless you're a higher level player. I wouldn't have considered mid 20s to be a high level.

Currently working on the Dark Brotherhood quest line and then I'll make a start on the Thieves Guild. Already finished the others in a previous play through, I think. Unsure if I'll actually get around to obtaining all the achievements though. I have other games that I want to check out just now. Mainly Star Fox Adventures and, when it arrives, Metroid Prime on Gamecube.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 06:16:49

I really liked Alduin's character and I think they did a great job of making him out to be a dragon equivalent of a spoiled kid, and I absolutely loved how he used the dragon shout from Daggerfall that creates fog in Sovngarde, but he really wasn't a great last boss. He was just kind of a regular dragon with lots of health and being able to summon a meteor storm.

That said, though, he would've been a far, far better boss if you didn't have those three Nord hero dudes fighting him with you.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 06:25:27

At 5/20/12 06:16 AM, IrishGun wrote: That said, though, he would've been a far, far better boss if you didn't have those three Nord hero dudes fighting him with you.

I'll probably agree with you there, but I don't find fighting the dragons to be particularly exciting anyway. My usual tactic is to use the Dragonrend shout so that it lands and then I use the Marked For Death shout to weaken it. From there I just kind of circle it, slashing away at the same time.

Seems to be a good tactic for most dragons I've encountered, although I encountered my first Frost Dragon recently and it whooped my ass. At first I thought it was a regular dragon with frost breath.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 06:38:31

At 5/20/12 06:25 AM, Dean wrote: I'll probably agree with you there, but I don't find fighting the dragons to be particularly exciting anyway. My usual tactic is to use the Dragonrend shout so that it lands and then I use the Marked For Death shout to weaken it. From there I just kind of circle it, slashing away at the same time.

When I got kinda bored on my first playthrough I would just end up trying to punch them to death. I think that only worked once, but it felt great when it did.

Those Orcish fists of doom, man. I only wish there were killcams for fists for when you're fighting a dragon.

Seems to be a good tactic for most dragons I've encountered, although I encountered my first Frost Dragon recently and it whooped my ass. At first I thought it was a regular dragon with frost breath.

I don't know if I've ever won against a frost dragon before. They always seem to instakill me even when I'm at full health, and Ancient and Elder ones don't even do that.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 06:48:23

At 5/20/12 06:38 AM, IrishGun wrote: I don't know if I've ever won against a frost dragon before. They always seem to instakill me even when I'm at full health, and Ancient and Elder ones don't even do that.

I play as a Nord (on all TES games) so don't I have frost resistance to some extent? Even so, the Frost Dragon was way too hard for me. Although I think it was melee attacks that were doing all the damage. I'm not sure if I've encountered anything more powerful than a Frost Dragon yet. Although I've never made it past level 30 with my character yet. I think the other ones don't appear until around the 40 mark.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 07:30:28

At 5/19/12 08:27 AM, Dean wrote: If anyone hasn't finished the main quest line yet, you probably shouldn't read this.

Anyway, I just beat Alduin. First attempt and I was surprised at how easy it was in comparison to the previous battles. I found the Dragon Priest guarding the portal and Tsun who was guarding the bridge to the Hall MUCH harder than Alduin. I think I beat Alduin in about 30 seconds and I'm only a level 26. I was loaded up on health potions and everything. Never used a single one.

Oh well, time to focus on some of the other quest lines that I've not beaten yet.

I think he might have been easier than other dragons because you had weakened him before on the throat of the world. That is the reason you fight in Sovengarde, he was suppose to gather new powers by eating the souls of dead nords but then you came early enough battle him before he even gotten back his strengthen. But any way, yeah a real anti-climatic boss fight. But then again you can look on the last quest as whole boss fight if you will and then it will seem a little better.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 09:26:37

At 5/20/12 07:30 AM, Mismo wrote: I think he might have been easier than other dragons because you had weakened him before on the throat of the world. That is the reason you fight in Sovengarde, he was suppose to gather new powers by eating the souls of dead nords but then you came early enough battle him before he even gotten back his strengthen.

I suppose you have a point there. Still, as easy as the final boss battle was I don't think it has too great an impact on the game as a whole. It's still an awesome experience, like all the TES games I've played. I still feel like there's so much for me to do in the game as well. And in total I've spent about 80 hours playing it if I add the time from my original character and my current one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 11:06:52

At 5/20/12 09:26 AM, Dean wrote:
At 5/20/12 07:30 AM, Mismo wrote: I think he might have been easier than other dragons because you had weakened him before on the throat of the world. That is the reason you fight in Sovengarde, he was suppose to gather new powers by eating the souls of dead nords but then you came early enough battle him before he even gotten back his strengthen.
I suppose you have a point there. Still, as easy as the final boss battle was I don't think it has too great an impact on the game as a whole. It's still an awesome experience, like all the TES games I've played. I still feel like there's so much for me to do in the game as well. And in total I've spent about 80 hours playing it if I add the time from my original character and my current one.

Yeah, another boss battle from the TES games that failed to deliver (in my opinion) is Jyyglag(?) from the Shivering Isles expansion pack. I love story of that expansion pack, but as with Aludin I think they built up the final boss reputation to much. Seeming like an all powerful daedric prince (more powerful than Merhunes Dagon) that has destoryed the Shivering Isles countless of times before and only now is there a chance of stopping him... And then I struck him down easily with some blows with the sword.... What an anti-climax.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 11:23:09

At 5/20/12 11:06 AM, Mismo wrote: Yeah, another boss battle from the TES games that failed to deliver

It's better than that Oblivions lack of a boss battle. Of that pathetic excuse for a boss fight that Fallout 3 gave us. But hey, when the only possible strategy is "Hit the thing until it stops moving." Then there's not much potential for a boss fight.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 13:19:30

At 5/20/12 07:30 AM, Mismo wrote: I think he might have been easier than other dragons because you had weakened him before on the throat of the world.

The fight with him on the Throat of the World was a lot better than the one in Sovngarde tbh. Maybe it's because of how much I like Paarthunax or because there weren't 2 cool Nord guys and an annoying lady there to make the fight too easy, but it felt much harder than the fight in Sovngarde and a lot more rewarding when you beat it, too.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-20 19:27:34

At 5/19/12 08:27 AM, Dean wrote: Oh well, time to focus on some of the other quest lines that I've not beaten yet.

Totally start an unarmed character with a shield. I'm doing it currently, and it's great fun, just punching the shit out of people.
Also, once you get fists of steel, bump it up to Master.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-21 13:39:55

I guess you all know (and if you don't you haven't played Skyrim, and if you haven't go play Skyrim) who Heimskur is. You know that annoying Talos prophet guy in Whiterun that holds the same speech everyday. Yeah I'm currently doing a new playthrough where I'm trying to focus on honing my magic skills more, and I decide that I'm going to kill this guy, because I figured he ain't relevant to the plot anyway. So I went into sneak mode and put a fury spell on him, which is hilarious to do since it is fun to watch the guards kill a completely innocent guy. Then took his valuables among those his house key, you know just to make sure you get all the gold. His house is pretty ordinary for a Nord house, a bed, a chest, some draws and a cooking pot. But he also seem to have his arranged in manner to make it look like a church of some sort, or something like it. Just that were I suppose Heimskur stands and preach lies three skulls... Why would he need skulls? How did he get them? I don't think I want to know.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-21 15:15:43

At 5/21/12 01:39 PM, Mismo wrote: Just that were I suppose Heimskur stands and preach lies three skulls... Why would he need skulls? How did he get them? I don't think I want to know.

Talos is the TRUTH, brah.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 01:30:04

got Volsung and sold my scaled helmet of water breathing. I really should have disenchanted it instead. Annyway, it goes well with my daedric armor, and with this and my enchanted boots and gauntlets, I now have a carrying capacity of over 400 pounds.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 03:16:59

At 5/20/12 06:38 AM, IrishGun wrote: I don't know if I've ever won against a frost dragon before. They always seem to instakill me even when I'm at full health, and Ancient and Elder ones don't even do that.

Frost dragons a problem? How? Those are probably the most common kind of dragon for me I kill them easily. My troubles are elder dragons.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 09:49:43

At 5/23/12 03:16 AM, sweet21 wrote:
Frost dragons a problem? How? Those are probably the most common kind of dragon for me I kill them easily. My troubles are elder dragons.

Speaking of having problems with dragons overall. I usually don't have a problem with fighting dragons. In my current state nothing really can kill me, hell I even took down a band of bandits with nothing but my fists. But I remember this one time I fought a dragon (don't remember which kind) and I used a fairly common tactic, dragonrend it and then slice and dice the fuck out of it. Just this time when I used dragonrend I was around a mountain and guess what the dragon decides to land on the other side of the mountain... Screaming ensued.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 12:37:46

At 5/23/12 03:16 AM, sweet21 wrote: Frost dragons a problem? How? Those are probably the most common kind of dragon for me I kill them easily. My troubles are elder dragons.

They're always the only type of dragon that ever picks my guy up in their mouth and throws him around and kills me instantly. They do it whenever I'm at full health too, I can hardly touch them.

At 5/23/12 09:49 AM, Mismo wrote: hell I even took down a band of bandits with nothing but my fists.

I only realised that there were killcams for fists on my new Redguard guy, Abdul Tyronestone. It's amazing to see a big black man wearing a dusty cape and hood suplex someone and see them fly off a cliff, or to lift someone up and see throw them into a river. I love the Alik'r clothes.

This reminds me, what're everyone's favourite races in TES? Mine are Orcs, Redguards and Bretons.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 13:11:49

At 5/23/12 12:37 PM, IrishGun wrote: This reminds me, what're everyone's favourite races in TES? Mine are Orcs, Redguards and Bretons.

I've always been drawn to the Dunmer. My first Elder Scrolls characters (in Oblivion) was a Dunmer battlemage and I've always seemed to like them. They're tough, they don't take shit from anyone, and they can be pretty much anything. Plus they used to be the beautiful Chimer until Azura got pissed and turned their skin dark and their eyes red. That just makes them more badass; they still manage to succeed after tasting the wrath of a Daedric Lord.

Dunmer, master race.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 16:40:11

At 5/23/12 01:11 PM, hitman1993 wrote:
At 5/23/12 12:37 PM, IrishGun wrote: This reminds me, what're everyone's favourite races in TES? Mine are Orcs, Redguards and Bretons.
I've always been drawn to the Dunmer. My first Elder Scrolls characters (in Oblivion) was a Dunmer battlemage and I've always seemed to like them. They're tough, they don't take shit from anyone, and they can be pretty much anything. Plus they used to be the beautiful Chimer until Azura got pissed and turned their skin dark and their eyes red. That just makes them more badass; they still manage to succeed after tasting the wrath of a Daedric Lord.

Dunmer, master race.

Yeah I am also more drawn to the dunmer race, most for many of the reason you already mentioned. They're just fucking badass and is overall a good starter race for new players to franchises so they can get to know the feeling of being both physically and magically powerfully, as well also being a sneaky fucker.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 17:22:19

Argonians and Bretons. Argonians are physically strong while still being able to run or sneak when the situation calls for it and make excellent thieves/assassin's (my favorite careers in games). They're also good for missions as there's no dungeon or enemy that can truly catch you off guard. With a high resistance to poisons and diseases (I know skyrim dropped the poison resistance but the previous games had it and I'm hoping they'll bring it back) and without a weakness there's no enemy that is any more dangerous than any other. The water breathing allows you to explore dungeons even if they require you go underwater without having to enchant an item, cast a spell, or drink a potion to avoid dying. Going underwater is also a great way to escape enemies when outnumbered, escaping the guards, or when your health is low. Bretons are great because their high resistance to magic allows them to take on any mage without worry and their natural skill with magic makes them excellent mage characters. While not as balanced as the Dunmer both races are balanced enough to have no real weakness and specialized enough to truly dominate in their areas of expertise with no other race able to come close.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-23 19:09:21

I remember on my main playthrough, I'd finished most things and decided to do some roleplay and settled down in Riverwood.

I walked out of the house I had... 'acquired, and 2 Ancient Dragons attacked at the same time. And me being a little cocky, took them both head on when they landed together outside of the village walls.

I lasted about 10 seconds.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-24 03:18:12

My first TES experience was Morrowind. Because of Morrowind mainly focusing on the Dunmer/Dark Elves, I've been likened to them. However, whenever I first play TES games, I always go Imperial due to being human.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-24 07:08:50

At 5/24/12 12:49 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 5/23/12 12:37 PM, IrishGun wrote:
This reminds me, what're everyone's favourite races in TES? Mine are Orcs, Redguards and Bretons.
Bosmer. The Woodelves are unparalleled in archery which is how I like to play and their small nimble frames are cool. Their lore is pretty interesting and the fact that they cannibalism their humanoid foes after defeating them is badass.

Even more awesome when a daedric side quest gives you a ring that allows you to eat dead humanoid people to gain extra health. So playing as Bosmer you can make that piece of lore info possible.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-24 07:48:24

I was a Bosmer in Morrowind and Oblivion, but I love my Nord character in Skyrim.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-24 12:15:36

Nord heroes are best heroes.

Also, I ran into the Headless Horseman outside Meridia's Shrine, and followed him all the way to Hemvir's Rest. What a waste, all I got were a few skeletons to kill. But it was still fun.

His horse runs fast, and I was on foot, many stamina potions were used.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-24 20:42:49

So apparently the new update will be having mounted combat. That's...pretty cool.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-25 14:04:37

At 5/24/12 08:42 PM, mrpwnzer wrote: So apparently the new update will be having mounted combat. That's...pretty cool.

I was going to ask for source, but a simple Google search easily confirms this information. That is awesome! Bethesda is actually implementing what they showed in that DICE game jam video from a while back. From that, they've already given us kinect voice commands, magic/archery killcams, and now mounted combat. It's only a matter of time until we're building our own houses and adopting children. I gotta say I'm looking forward to mounted combat. There's been far too many time I've been riding my horse and I had a pack of wolves attack me. Instead of sprinting away, I can now slash at them without getting off my horse. Sounds good to me. Keep the content flowing, Bethesda.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-25 14:28:01

Then, we must have lances! I demand lances!

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-25 14:52:56

At 5/25/12 02:04 PM, hitman1993 wrote:
It's only a matter of time until we're building our own houses and adopting children. I gotta say I'm looking forward to mounted combat. There's been far too many time I've been riding my horse and I had a pack of wolves attack me. Instead of sprinting away, I can now slash at them without getting off my horse. Sounds good to me. Keep the content flowing, Bethesda.

Now if only we could you know, CHANGE our hair and dye it different now. One gets tired of ther same thing
also, glass armour. the malachite needs to be moar green.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2012-05-25 15:22:15

Mounted combat is gonna be pretty sweet. I tried installing the beta on Steam, but the update caused my game to CTD. I'll just have to be patient for the time being.

What I'm hoping for in Dawnguard is some of the stuff Bethesda mentioned during the show: mostly spears, building your home, adoption, vampire lords, werebears, crossbows (most likely), and some neat dungeon puzzles.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature